Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Did you get your number in the post yet? Mine still hasn't arrived. Rang AAI office today and they said there is a delay as they are coming from UK. The fact they asked me for my date of birth and my t-shirt size over the phone doesn't fill me with confidence.

Nothing yet. Although I was gone before the post arrived today so maybe it'll be there when I get home later. Did you get yours today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunguska wrote: »
    Nothing yet. Although I was gone before the post arrived today so maybe it'll be there when I get home later. Did you get yours today?

No not yet although I did get an email yesterday telling me to pick it up from AAI tent 10 am onwards Sunday morning. Might be a good idea to give them a bell.

Thursday: 6.5 mile recovery run. Along canal banks felt ok. Physio late in the evening. Hadn't been in a while as my stretching routine has kept my many niggles at bay. Really felt some pain when the magician worked on the calfs. I guess my stretching routine can't get rid of knots in the calf muscle. Limped out of physio and felt like I had the crap beaten out of me.

Friday: 4 mile recovery run. Had to do this early as may not get out later. Really felt crap. I guess I'm still a bit tender from physio as was done less than 12 hours before run. Felt very lethargic but again I reckon this is due to deep muscle massage.

The plan is to take it very easy tomorrow a few easy miles or a day off depending how I feel. Hopefully the weather stays the same. Cracker of a day out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

How did u get on today? U went by with me a man with a mission

heffsarmy wrote: »
    How did u get on today? U went by with me a man with a mission

Finished in 33.49 I think. How about you?

Am actually delighted with that. Was hoping to break 34 as I have never done so before. Think I paced race perfectly but going past 9k marker I knew I had to run a 3.25 last km to get under 34 minutes. My legs were quite drained but luckily the course flattened out and I kicked on with a final km in 3.12 to dip under the 34. Early warm up, stupid number collection, heat and course did me no favors today but there was no wind worth talking about so have to take the good with the bad. I honestly think I can knock another 10-20 seconds off todays time next Saturday if I am recovered and fit to run. That course is a ****er.

Finished in 33.49

Well done, thats a good time on that course. I ran the first half at a nice pace, second half was dreadful finished 35.29.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah I know thy course quite well and held a bit back for the second half. The climb out of the Glen nearly made me stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great running and fine last k. Id say on a nice flat course youd take 30 secs off that

Sunday: 10km in 33.49. 11.5 miles total including warm up and uncomfortable hobble afterward :D

I'll write a little race report if people don't mind me wallowing in my own personal glory;) Yesterdays race was one of my main goal races for the year, the other being the Berlin marathon. I really wanted to break 34 as I've never done so before although I was in the shape to do so last year but got no luck with race conditions when I went for it. Going into the race I reckoned I was in 33.30 shape easily. I ran 35.05 for 10k last Saturday in training as part of a 14 mile run, granted the route I took had a slight downhill gradient but it felt very easy. The one worry about yesterdays race was the course itself. I generally run quite well in the Phoenix park but you never get a fast course in the park and usually lose time relative to the effort you put in. I knew the route well so decided to coast to 5km as this is flat/downhill and then really dig in. 3.24 per km would get me home in 34 and I knew I would faster than this for the first half. Secret was to try keep a lid on things. First 5 splits were 3.19,3.17, 3.22, 3.15, 3.19. Had people flying by me but managed to stay disciplined and felt comfortable by the time I got to the end of the Khyber (close to 5km). Took some water on board as it was very warm but used majority of water to cool myself down by spraying over my head. The fun really begun tough climb up to S-bends, started to push and pulled away from those around me and started to gain ground on those ahead.

The road down into the Glen around 7ish Km was a god send as you were running downhill and could catch your breath, coming out of the Glen was a curse though and although I felt like I was at snails pace I was still catching people which is great for the confidence. Got to 9km and knew 3.25 was needed to break 34. I put the foot down and felt quite strong finishing, even managed to catch 2 more lads in the last 400. I was zonked though I kept telling myself 1 to go, 1 to go at the 9km mark, I was so out of it I thought I had 1 mile to go so got a pleasant surprise at 9.5 km when I realised it was 1km and not 1 mile to go (had a blonde moment :o)

Last 5 splits were 3.26, 3.24, 3.29, 3.32 and 3.13. I'm pleased with these as it shows I didn't loose too much time in the second half and I think I judged the pace right. If I went off harder I definitely would have crumbled at 8km. Legs were in bits last night woke up at 5am this morning with a crazy tingling sensation that I have only ever experienced after running a marathon. I'm hoping to take it hand this week and run another race next weekend. The plan was for the BHAA 10k but before I left the club house I heard we might have a team for the road relays. This bit of news was a blessing in disguise as the BHAA race was going to be a fall back race if I didn't break the 34. Based on the relay news I knew I had to go for it yesterday or I may not get a chance to break 34 for a while as I didn't plan another 10km. In fact I seldom choose fall back races as I feel they give you an excuse to stop hurting in a race, you are either going to go for it or not.

If I don run the 10km next weekend and have recovered I'll definitely target 33.30. I want to run a decent marathon in Berlin and really need to be getting into the low 33s for what I hope to do. Lets hope next week is another stepping stone towards that.

Garmin connect link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Savage running. Different league. Wallow in your glory - I certainly would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭aero2k

Fantastic running - the result wasn't a big surprise though, given your recent training.

Nice to chat to you before the start, you looked as if you really meant business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats deadly running, well done...

Monday: 4 miles recovery. Ran this too fast and too late in the evening. Legs in a heap.

Tuesday: 6 miles recovery along the canal. Legs feeling a little better muscle pain subsided but a few niggles in right achilles and calf.

Wednesday: 7 miles recovery. Further improvement but achilles was tight. Normal stretching not working so brought out the big guns. Hit the foam roller of fun. Pain was unreal. Also had a bath before stretching. I find warm baths are great for easing pain from my legs.

Thursday: 8 miles recovery. Massive improvement. Achilles and calf definitely feeling the benefit of the roller. Ran in the phoenix park, took in a few nice climbs and legs felt fine. Over the muscle pain but fatigue is still in the legs. No zip which is a worry.

I had decided yesterday not to race Saturday as I was afraid of injury. I don't think that's an issue now but I doubt I'll be able to run as well as I had hoped. Main reason I'm doing it, is after 8 years I've managed to convince some of my work training partners to sign up to the BHAA so we will have a team, yeah.

If I'm going backwards Saturday I'll take the foot off the gas and run as hard as I can without wrecking myself. Age is definitely catching up with me, I use to be able to recover from a race in a days. A few years back I ran 4 races in a week running PBs in each 10mile-2mile-10k-10mile. Can't get away with that anymore.

I'm just out of another bath and have located my trusty foam roller. Now for some pain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday: 4 miles recovery. Ran this too fast and too late in the evening. Legs in a heap.

Tuesday: 6 miles recovery along the canal. Legs feeling a little better muscle pain subsided but a few niggles in right achilles and calf.

Wednesday: 7 miles recovery. Further improvement but achilles was tight. Normal stretching not working so brought out the big guns. Hit the foam roller of fun. Pain was unreal. Also had a bath before stretching. I find warm baths are great for easing pain from my legs.

Thursday: 8 miles recovery. Massive improvement. Achilles and calf definitely feeling the benefit of the roller. Ran in the phoenix park, took in a few nice climbs and legs felt fine. Over the muscle pain but fatigue is still in the legs. No zip which is a worry.

I had decided yesterday not to race Saturday as I was afraid of injury. I don't think that's an issue now but I doubt I'll be able to run as well as I had hoped. Main reason I'm doing it, is after 8 years I've managed to convince some of my work training partners to sign up to the BHAA so we will have a team, yeah.

If I'm going backwards Saturday I'll take the foot off the gas and run as hard as I can without wrecking myself. Age is definitely catching up with me, I use to be able to recover from a race in a days. A few years back I ran 4 races in a week running PBs in each 10mile-2mile-10k-10mile. Can't get away with that anymore.

I'm just out of another bath and have located my trusty foam roller. Now for some pain :)

Have got advice to bathe in epsom salts from lad i get massages off might be worth a try to soothe your old man legs ;)?

Saturday: 10k in 33.04. Job done.

Still had last weekends 10k in my legs but started feeling OK Thursday. Took Friday off totally and went to bed nice and early last night. Warming up today legs felt great although right achilles and calf were a little tight. They did not impact on race however. Race plan was to run 33.20 if everything went to plan. 33.30-40 if I wasn't feeling great. If calf was dodgy I was going to coast or drop out.

Went off with leaders and was feeling great, had to hold myself back once or twice as I was pushing the pace too early. There were 5 of us at the 4k mark and the lads made a little break that I didn't cover they got 30-40 metres on me and while it didn't open much for the rest of the race I should have tried to go with them. I'm just not use to racing anymore. Back in my track days I was a very good racer. I guess you need to be at the business end to become a better racer.

Hit 5km in 16.30 (not 100% about this will stick garmin link up later) and started motoring at 8km, caught 3rd place and was gaining on 2nd although he was coasting and I was never going to catch him. When I crossed the line I was delighted for 30 seconds then sick I hadn't pushed on at the 4km mark with the lads as I would have probably went under 33 minutes. My Mrs can't understand my mentality but the day you are totally satisfied with your time may as well be the day you stop racing.

My calf is going to need some TLC. Will rest tomorrow and start easy running on Monday nothing too hectic and may visit the magician. The foam roller will definitely become very familiar with my right leg. The plan is to run a half marathon in Dundalk early May. Need a half time to help plan tempo paces etc. All my running until then will be easy long miles. After that I'm taking about a week off and then getting back to base miles. I said I needed to run a low 33 minute 10k to run the time I want in Berlin. 10km time in the bag. Time to recover, plan and then get it on like donkey kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done on the time and place. Its a nice fast course:)

Pb after pb, well done, you should be good for a sub 33 10km when fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done RR, I see you beat todays 2nd last week in the GI should make for a nice battle next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Freakin' awesome time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just when I am getting in shape to get closer to you to get a good race once in a while you go and have a week like this:rolleyes:. Great running man rest up the legs now and regroup still early days in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saturday: 10k in 33.04. Job done.

I said I needed to run a low 33 minute 10k to run the time I want in Berlin. 10km time in the bag. Time to recover, plan and then get it on like donkey kong.

I know a fair few lads whos training is great but who fall apart on race day. They invariably end up scratching their heads at the end of yet another disappointing race effort and wonder what went wrong. They just dont have that racing gene.
    You seem to be the opposite. Not saying your training isnt good, it is, but you definitely exceed your training on race days. You're a great racer Dave, and if you can keep control of yourself over the first half of berlin you'll be on for scorcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I forgot about your 10k last weekend

Fcuk me, your on fire. Your form is surperb. Mind that bloody leg though.
    And will ya stick you that Garmin link like you promised :)

Abhainn wrote: »
    I forgot about your 10k last weekend

Fcuk me, your on fire. Your form is surperb. Mind that bloody leg though.

I will indeed, hopefully later this evening. Watch has been dead the last few days and purposely haven't charged it as wanted to run with no eye on pace/time etc. Leg is grand now as well thanks. Left leg was worse than right leg on Monday though :rolleyes:

Abhainn wrote: »

As promised here you go.

As you can see it is very flat and therefore fast. Will definitely run this again in the future if targeting a PB attempt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

As promised here you go.

As you can see it is very flat and therefore fast. Will definitely run this again in the future if targeting a PB attempt

moving time 00:32:46, did you have a nap or something ......

shels4ever wrote: »
    moving time 00:32:46, did you have a nap or something ......

I light a cigar 100 metres from the finish line.

Recovery week

Monday: 5 miles on grass, no watch.

Tuesday: 7 miles in Phoenix park, no watch.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles on grass, no watch.

Thursday: 12 miles @ 7.15 pace around Phoenix park.

Saturday: 12 miles @ 7.30ish pace on grass.

Sunday: 13 miles @ 7.05 pace on grass

Legs feeling great. Achiles and calf are grand no complaints at all. Some back pain so have increased stretching to accommodate this and is working out well.

Planned half marathon has been shelved :( as have some commitments the following day and logistics were getting very messy. Will train away for the next 2.5 weeks then heading away for a holiday so no running for 5 days (well that's what I'm telling the Mrs, looked up hotel and there is a treadmill so might sneak a couple of runs to keep legs ticking over, may result in divorce however).

Have 2 races planned the end of may, a 5k and a 5 mile. The 5k was originally going to be a PB attempt but I don't think that is realistic now. The 5 miler will be PB city however. Just realised yesterday I think I broke my 5 mile PB in last weekends 10k and came close to my 4 mile PB :eek:. They need a serious re-examination. Both races will help me keep a bit of focus over the next few weeks.

I have put together my marathon training plan, doesn't really kick in until the start of July as it is a 12-13 week intensive program. My training for the next 8 weeks will be part of a build up to the 13 intensive weeks however, basically I'll be doing some sessions of the 13 week plan but lower intensity and quantity. Summer racing is going to suffer big time. Main 2 races will be 5 and 10 milers of race series. I may do a couple of mid week BHAA races but only if I'm feeling extremely good and they won't have a major impact on planned sessions. Obviously I'll swap races for sessions if applicable.

Monday: 7 recovery miles. no watch

Tuesday: 8.3 miles total included 5*4 minute intervals, 3 minute easy jog recovery between each. Was breathing out my arse for these. Average pace of run 6.55.

Wednesday: 8.5 miles in 6.58. Feeling great today until mile 6, got incredible stomach cramps and had to violate the royal canal with a pikey poo. I also passed the largest pair of (fake) boobs I have ever seen at mile 5. Haven't decided if there is a link between boobs and poo yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Monday: 7 recovery miles. no watch

Tuesday: 8.3 miles total included 5*4 minute intervals, 3 minute easy jog recovery between each. Was breathing out my arse for these. Average pace of run 6.55.

Wednesday: 8.5 miles in 6.58. Feeling great today until mile 6, got incredible stomach cramps and had to violate the royal canal with a pikey poo. I also passed the largest pair of (fake) boobs I have ever seen at mile 5. Haven't decided if there is a link between boobs and poo yet.

I hope for your sake there is no link between the two, The women in Berlin might put a stop to your marathon plans...

shels4ever wrote: »
    I hope for your sake there is no link between the two, The women in Berlin might put a stop to your marathon plans...

I'll have blinkers on when I'm running that :)

• Advertisement

Thursday: 9 miles at 7 minute pace

Friday: Major hangover. Day conspired against me and couldn't get out in the evening as was sole babysitter. Really pissed off.

Saturday: 12.5 miles @ 6.30 pace. Was supposed to include a 40 minute threshold run but as I started to increase the pace after 2 miles my calf got tighter and tighter. Hadn't followed my normal nightly stretching regime for a couple of days and dehydration (although I felt fine) from pints on Thursday probably didn't help either. Majorly pissed off.

Sunday: 8 miles at 8 minute pace. Day went against me again but got out at 8pm were I caught Shels4ever about to pack in a run. Tap on the shoulder and a kick in the hole got him running again. Wouldn't get Grep McMillian stalking his athletes like that.

Monday: 9 miles at 6.40 pace. Not in the mood for this at all. Sleepless night with TRR jnr and an early start also. Wanted to go back to sleep at 11am but managed to haul my ass out the door. Character building I tell ye.

Tuesday: 11.5 miles at 6.50 pace. Fecking freezing this morning so packed warmish gear. Roasting by the time I got out and hadn't hydrated properly in the morning as got caught in a meeting. Was windy also so struggled with this one

All in all a ****ty last few days running wise. Just going through the motions really.

Advertisement