Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Was she impressed with the guns on show? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Was she impressed with the guns on show? :)

I didn't ask her and I wouldn't like to put words in her mouth as she is a married women but .................. I'd be shocked if she wasn't. She's only human after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I didn't ask her and I wouldn't like to put words in her mouth as she is a married women but .................. I'd be shocked if she wasn't. She's only human after all :)
    But what about all that flab that you have been giving out about ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    But what about all that flab that you have been giving out about ;)

She can admire the guns and hang onto my love handles ya bollix

105 Days to Berlin

Was on holidays this week so mileage suffered big time. Last year I ran a single day while on holidays so I am actually quite happy with how this week went. Plan was just to do enough to keep ticking over and maintain current fitness levels.

Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 6 miles each day. First 3-4 along coastal trail followed by lung busting hills through forest trail. Same run every day but it was traffic free so no complaints from me. Very up and down. Coastal path was very uneven and my shins are a little tender. Nothing major though.

Saturday: 6 miles at 6.37 pace. Back home all I had time for.

Sunday: 12 miles at 6.45 pace. Lovely rain on lovely grass in lovely pissings of rain.

Hoping for 3 good hard weeks. However have a work conference this week so will have to get out very early Thursday and Friday mornings. Also heading away with work next week. Running won't be a problem while away but travel time etc will have to be factored in. As you can see from above 15 weeks or 105 days to Berlin so no more time for excuses, planned runs have to get done regardless.

• Advertisement

As you can see from above 15 weeks or 105 days to Berlin so no more time for excuses, planned runs have to get done regardless.

:eek: That doesn't sound like a lot of time at all .....

:eek: That doesn't sound like a lot of time at all .....

Well bad news for you :D

104 days to Berlin

Plenty of time if training goes well.
    Monday: 9.3 miles at 7.09 pace. First few miles were quite slow and very funny. Two workmates ran the Wicklow way relay between them on Saturday and were out for a recovery run today. Looked like they had a poker stuck up their arses and were running on broken glass. Very funny but great running from both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Fair play to those two lads, it looked like a tough ask.
    I passed the guy with the beard on leg 6 and frankly he looked like he was about to die, I was shocked when I saw him finish leg 8 as I thought he was finished for the day!
    I was wrecked enough after one leg myself ...

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Fair play to those two lads, it looked like a tough ask.
    I passed the guy with the beard on leg 6 and frankly he looked like he was about to die, I was shocked when I saw him finish leg 8 as I thought he was finished for the day!
    I was wrecked enough after one leg myself ...

Apparently there is a photo of him finishing leg 6 and he looked close to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Apparently there is a photo of him finishing leg 6 and he looked close to death.
    The two of them looked like they were in great form at the finish line, and looked like they had only run the last leg. I feel so soft.. :(

• Advertisement

103 Days to Berlin

Tuesday: 10 mile recovery (:rolleyes:)day
    am: 6 miles 7.10
    pm 4 miles 7.15

ProbablyDefinitely too fast for a recovery run. For morning run, I did feel like I was absolutely jogging though. Felt great in the evening as well. Was hard to fit runs in today as had a lot on but glad I got them sorted, in fact rushed circumstances out the door in both cases may account for faster than planned pace. Thursday and Friday are going to be awkward as well. I hate when things pop up and mess with my routine. I don't mind 1 day a week but I'm going to have 3 or 4 days this week when I'll be running out of my routine. I love a routine. I like to eat my breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time every day. I like to train the same time every day. I like my morning and afternoon craps at the same time every day. I just love a good routine, I may be suffering from OCD a little more than I first thought.

102 Day to Berlin

Wednesday: Session of 6*1k intervals that was supposed to work my VO2 max. Seen as I don't have an accurate figure for this I ran them close to 16 min 5km pace.

1) 3.14
    2) 3.13
    3) 3.12
    4) 3.14
    5)3.27 Kaboom

Felt fine until the end of number 4 and fell apart half way through number 5. Guess I did them a little too hard. These were done on grass as well so I'm quite happy with the pace. Disappointed not to complete the planned 6 but after number 5 it would have been a case of diminishing returns and in fact would have been very counter productive. Just back from holidays as well so can have no complaints and have something to build upon.

Your count down scares me, need to stop reading your log..

Well, I've bitten the bullet and swapped my 405 for a brand new one. Fair play to Garmin, I contacted them telling them my watch is wrecked and for £78.30 sterling they are giving me a brand new watch with a 1yr warranty. Only realised how wrecked my own was when I got a lend of a friends a couple of weeks back. I'm very hard on watches in general (not just sports watches) so the auld 405 has done well and is actually still operational but can be frustrating.

I'm off to remove the straps before sending the old model back to them Had to replace the straps a year back and they cost me 35 euro. Gona hold onto them for spares. As I said, I'm hard on watches!

In other news I have a GFA form for London next year. Will enter and decide at Christmas what I'm going to do.

Well done on teaching those yanks how to run ;)

Well done on teaching those yanks how to run ;)
    Thanks fair play for finding those results! Was good Craic but very hilly.

97 days to Berlin

Thursday: 8 early miles in phoenix park before heading into city for day long meetings.

Friday: 6 miles recovery, feeling like ****e. Picked up another sinus infection. Don't think sitting all day in confined space and a late night helped

Saturday&Sunday missed due to sickness. Visited doctor again and have strong antibiotics. Felt feverish for a good solid 48 hours.

Week starting 20th June
    Monday: handy 8 mile run on grass and trails. Feeling a good bit better but still very chesty.

Tuesday: Easy 10 miles in Leixlip with LeCheile.

Wednesday: Was in the US for work 6 miles on treadmill. Not enjoyable but did well to muster the motivation after transatlantic flight.

Thursday: 11 miles along Charles river in Boston @ 6.45 pace. Great place for a run. Plan was 15 miles but was delayed getting out.

Friday: 8 miles @ 6.40 pace. Was supposed to be an easy run as was 50/50 about doing a 5 mile race on Saturday. Got carried away running along the river again with all the good looking women about running.

Saturday: Decided to run a low key 5 mile race out in the burbs. Based on previous years a 27.30 would normally guarantee a top 3 place. Preparations were less than ideal as I had a large meal (US portions :rolleyes:) late Friday night followed by a good few end of week/work beers. Got to bed late as well. Anyway ran the race, stuck with lead group for just about 2 miles and then took off when the hills kicked in. Won very handily in the end by 2 minutes (27.56). Field wasn't great obviously. Picked up a couple hundred dollars prize money so was delighted with that. Had planned a temp run Saturday anyway so this was perfect.

Sunday: 8 miles recovery. Headed down to Boston common to watch Geoffrey Mutai win the inaugural BAA 10k. Savage seeing the pace these guys run at close up close.

Not a bad week considering I was away from home. Disappointed to miss another longish run. I'm not happy with my training overall. I about 3-4 weeks behind where I want to be. Have decided to skip race series 5 mile race and get a good block of training together instead.

Monday: 8 easy miles on grass.

Tuesday: 10.5 miles easy on road and canal bank.

I've said in the past that when my mother complains about me looking too skinny I actively look for a race as it means I am in good shape. Well today the opposite occurred. I was basically called a fat bastard;).

MammyRoadRunner: you're looking well, do you want a bickie with your tea
    Moi: Thanks, yes please.
    MammyRoadRunner: Have you put a bit of weight on
    Moi: $hite, eh yeah, hold the bickie thanks.

Definitely not doing 5 miler now. On the plus side I am still relatively fit so it's not as bad as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Nice win and prize money. You have to love those US food portions. I suppose you drinking the "light" beers too :D

Abhainn wrote: »
    Nice win and prize money. You have to love those US food portions. I suppose you drinking the "light" beers too :D

Thanks, now I think of it I was drinking light beers. Jesus imagine the state I would be in if I had of hit the "full fat" stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks, now I think of it I was drinking light beers.
    Get thee to hell, vile creature of satan. :mad:

Get thee to hell, vile creature of satan. :mad:

Beer snob;) They don't taste so bad when you get them in a girly glass with a nice sparkley straw.

95 Days to Berlin

Wednesday: 5*1 miles reps @ 5.30 pace with 2.30 minutes recovery. Was not the session I had planned :mad: but I was wrecked. I'm still very chesty and my shron is a fountain of snot so when I was feeling like crap I decided not to push too hard as I don't want another trip to the GP.

Decided to bite the bullet and stepped on the scales this morning. Body fat up 1% compared to one month ago.

93 Days to Berlin

Thursday: 10 miles @ 6.57 pace. Lovely evening run in the phoenix park seen loads of people out running including some familiar faces from around these parts. Plan was to do an am and pm run of 5 miles each but couldn't find the time in the morning so lengthened out evening run. Was supposed to be a recovery run but sub 7 min pace is not a recovery, even more so when I looked at splits and last 4 miles were around the 6.30ish mark. Got a bit carried away. Lads in club gave me a right kick up the arse when they told me of the long runs they have already logged for Berlin. I've very little room for error now but have no holidays etc between now and Berlin so that is a bonus.

Friday: 16 miles @ 7.01 pace. Legs felt a bit heavy today so thought this was going to be hell. Yesterday evenings run was too fast and I was expecting to pay. However felt really strong and held back pace so as not to run off on my training partner for the day. Had dropped 2 bottles of water off but first one went awol, somebody must have nicked it. Was quite warm but luckily enough didn't effect our run too much.

93 Days to Berlin

Thursday: 10 miles @ 6.57 pace. Lovely evening run in the phoenix park seen loads of people out running including some familiar faces from around these parts. Plan was to do an am and pm run of 5 miles each but couldn't find the time in the morning so lengthened out evening run. Was supposed to be a recovery run but sub 7 min pace is not a recovery, even more so when I looked at splits and last 4 miles were around the 6.30ish mark. Got a bit carried away. Lads in club gave me a right kick up the arse when they told me of the long runs they have already logged for Berlin. I've very little room for error now but have no holidays etc between now and Berlin so that is a bonus.

Friday: 16 miles @ 7.01 pace. Legs felt a bit heavy today so thought this was going to be hell. Yesterday evenings run was too fast and I was expecting to pay. However felt really strong and held back pace so as not to run off on my training partner for the day. Had dropped 2 bottles of water off but first one went awol, somebody must have nicked it. Was quite warm but luckily enough didn't effect our run too much.

Practice what you preach ;)

Practice what you preach ;)

ha ha. I was actually thinking that as I wrote on your log.

92 Days to Berlin

Saturday: 12.58 miles @ 7.16. Plan was for an easy 6-8 today and 12 tomorrow. However legs felt great today so got the 12 out of the way as I have a late night tonight. Probably not the best idea to follow up the longest run I've done in a while with more than 12 miles but it felt very easy and legs didn't feel fatigued at all. In fact I felt like I could have run all day. Ran with ecoli and Tunguska and the company definitely helped take my mind off the miles. Tuguska's choice of footwear was especially intriguing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done on the race win. Your recent training runs are leaving me feeling decidedly slow.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    You have to love those US food portions. :D
    That brings back memories of me asking for a large capuccino and being given a mug with a handle on each side that was around the size of the Sam Maguire cup! I learned to cut that out after a Friday evening visit to Borders cafe was followed by the most alert state I've ever experienced at 3am on a Saturday morning.

Oh I agree with Krusty on the beers - when you're stateside it's best to stick to the mocrobrew stuff. Some of it is really good.

91 Days to Berlin

Sunday: 6.5 miles recovery. Pace was way too fast again. I'll blame the good weather and fact I was running on fast roads. Was actively trying to run 7.30-8 min miles but they were all under 7. It did feel very easy but every run should have a valid reason, this was supposed to be a recovery which it wasn't.

71 miles for the week. We are up and running but need to bang out a few consistent 70ish weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

^ 84 (83 now) days to Berlin actually. I wish my recovery runs were sub 7 min miling pace.

Advertisement