Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

^ 84 (83 now) days to Berlin actually. I wish my recovery runs were sub 7 min miling pace.

Crap, you're right. I checked Berlin site a couple of weeks back and I assumed their countdown clock was wrong. Stupid me for underestimating the efficient Germans. Leaves an even smaller margin of error now but on the upside I have less time to injure myself before rest day :)
    I wish my recovery runs were sub 7 min miling pace.

So do I. I need to run with people on my recovery days because I'm getting carried away when running solo. I feel fine today but yesterday was not a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tuguska's choice of footwear was especially intriguing ;)

I know man, sometimes I even question my own sanity. But if it works it works. Although I think I've come up with a more resonable solution. Let me know if you wanna join me and Phil for that session, either saturday or sunday morning, the heavy stuff being done on the polo grounds.

81 Days to Berlin

Monday: am 9 miles @ 7.16, pm 4 @ 7.30. Beautiful day felt great.

Tuesday: 10 miles. Less than 5 hrs sleep and a round trip to Belfast left me feeling pretty tired but managed to haul my arse out the door and get a run in.

Wednesday: long intervals 2mile-2mile-1mile. Was hoping for 3*2 mile intervals but called a halt on the last one. Legs were very heavy and lack of sleep last night again didn't help. Am actually quite happy I managed to even get some sort of intervals in. I was falling asleep at my desk this morning. I was solo as well which I find never helps. Time were 11.10 and 11.06. Went through the mile interval in 5.19 and I was in ribbons, stupid pacing problems again and there was no way I could have squeezed another mile out. Well I probably could have but I'm being a little cautious for the next few weeks as my weekly mileage is heading upwards. Just goes to show that I had better start running recovery runs at the desired pace or faster sessions will suffer.

Looking at race calendar and tentative plan is to run the lakeland 15 miler at (or slightly quicker) PMP pace on the 14th of August. Will then run very easy for the next few days and give Frank Duffy 10 a good lash the following Saturday.

Thursday: am 6.5 miles @ 7.35 pace. At last a recovery run and yes it felt good. Ran along canal.
    pm: 4.5 miles @ 7.20 pace. A little too quick but ended up pissing it after my madra for half a mile. Legs feeling great. A little tired obviously but great overall.

Friday: 6 miles @ 7.10 pace. Wanted to run easy as have long run tomorrow. 7ish minute miles never felt so easy. A few years back this pace would have taken a lot out of me. Think I'm going mad. I can't wait for my long run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

78 Days to Berlin

Saturday: 18 miles @ 6.35 pace. As you can see from quote above I was really looking forward to this run. Marathon training doesn't officially start for me mentally until I'm running 18 miles or more in training. Today was my first 18 miler.

It was a beautiful morning and I had done a bit of prep work last night and dropped off a bottle of water/gel at mile 7 and sports drink at mile 11 (ran back by this point at mile 15 so that was handy). Was very warm and first mile is slightly uphill, legs felt good and when first mile was reached in 7.02 I was a little worried as this mile normally takes 7.30-45 even on a short run as the body is still warming up and as I said it's uphill. Kept on rocking and did get a little tired around 13 miles but by that stage I was running on grass, when I got back on the roads the effort felt a little easier back home although I'm sure there will be wear and tear on my joints from the hard concrete! Overall a good run. Will do a short recovery run tomorrow morning. I should hit 70+ miles again this week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

78 Days to Berlin

Saturday: 18 miles @ 6.35 pace. As you can see from quote above I was really looking forward to this run. Marathon training doesn't officially start for me mentally until I'm running 18 miles or more in training. Today was my first 18 miler.

It was a beautiful morning and I had done a bit of prep work last night and dropped off a bottle of water/gel at mile 7 and sports drink at mile 11 (ran back by this point at mile 15 so that was handy). Was very warm and first mile is slightly uphill, legs felt good and when first mile was reached in 7.02 I was a little worried as this mile normally takes 7.30-45 even on a short run as the body is still warming up and as I said it's uphill. Kept on rocking and did get a little tired around 13 miles but by that stage I was running on grass, when I got back on the roads the effort felt a little easier back home although I'm sure there will be wear and tear on my joints from the hard concrete! Overall a good run. Will do a short recovery run tomorrow morning. I should hit 70+ miles again this week:)
    Niceone, have to plan my routes better now and drop off some stuff tomorrow morning, almost bought a fule belt today just to make life easier, but looked like a tit with it on. Just can't bring myself to wear one of them.
    What Gels are you on?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Niceone, have to plan my routes better now and drop off some stuff tomorrow morning, almost bought a fule belt today just to make life easier, but looked like a tit with it on. Just can't bring myself to wear one of them.
    What Gels are you on?

Yes those belts do make one look like a tit. I'm taking the lucozade sport gels. I actually quite like them and they are easy to pick up as they are sold in Boots. The gels are a bit bulky all right and I can see why a belt might be needed but don't do it.

I think it is really important to practice getting fluids and gels into the body during the long runs.

Sunday: 4 miles @ 7.05 pace. Just a small run to loosen out the legs. I'd be lying if I said the legs weren't a little tender.

So that's 60, 70, 70 mile weeks for the last 3 weeks. Feel like I'm back into a routine now. This weeks mileage may be a little lower but have 3 sessions that are this weeks cornerstone and the rest will be general aerobic running. Have a PMP run, intervals (3*2 miles again) and a long run (will be close to 7 minute mile this week) planned.

76 Days to Berlin

Monday: am 5.5 @ 7min pace. pm 4.5 @ 7.37 pace.

I'm going to do something I've never followed through on in previous marathon cycles and give up alcohol for the next 76* days. Its the one factor that continually hinders my race weight and it messes up my recovery etc.

*I have an anniversary in august so I may play a wild card that one night but as Frank Duffy 10 is the following week I won't be going too mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Saturday: 18 miles @ 6.35 pace.

Jesus,that's some going. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm going to do something I've never followed through on in previous marathon cycles and give up alcohol for the next 76* days. Its the one factor that continually hinders my race weight and it messes up my recovery etc.

I think you'll be pretty stunned by the difference it'll make. I think you'll be so impressed you'll never drink again.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Jesus,that's some going. Fair play.
    Thanks but in hindsight I should have put the breaks on a little
    tunguska wrote: »
    I think you'll be pretty stunned by the difference it'll make. I think you'll be so impressed you'll never drink again.

Agreed on the first part definitely will see a difference. Hopefully it's significant enough to bring my actual time n line with my target time. Second part I'm not so sure, I really enjoy a few pints in my local once a week but a reduction in my overall intake wouldn't be a bad thing.

75 Days to Berlin

Tuesday: 10 miles with 6 at (supposed) PMP. Ran PMP miles too fast. Was aiming for 6 min/miles or a couple of seconds faster. Ended up running 5.48 average. A little bit of indiscipline on my side but the route I ran didn't help as was on the canal tow path which is gravely and hard to judge pace on. There were also a lot of work colleagues out walking on my route so subconsciously I was picking the pace up at different times:rolleyes:

Am actually considering running the midlands half now. I'm off the booze and the best way for me to stay focused is to have an upcoming race. I hadn't considered the half as I was supposed to be racing this Saturday but I pushed that back. Now I'm thinking the half might be in my plans and consequently forgetting about the Lakeland 15. That is the week before the 10 miler in the park and I really want to be on top of my game as I want to run a good PB in that race. Nothing set in stone yet but will decide for definite this week.

74 Days to Berlin

Wednesday: am 6.5 miles at 7.30 pace. Pm 4.5 miles at 7 min pace. Seriously deadly weather. I love this type of warm weather. Legs feeling a little heavy today but not tired if that makes sense. I'm liking these double days. So far I definitely feel they help recovery while keeping mileage up.

76 Days to Berlin

Monday: am 5.5 @ 7min pace. pm 4.5 @ 7.37 pace.

*I have an anniversary in august so I may play a wild card that one night but as Frank Duffy 10 is the following week I won't be going too mad.
    Only 1 wild card thats good going I am thinking of doing the same but was going to give myself 3 wild cards.

Only 1 wild card thats good going I am thinking of doing the same but was going to give myself 3 wild cards.

I need to drop body fat asap and I feel beer is my major obstacle!

Thursday: 8.2 miles @ 7.05 pace. Run along canal and trails. Feeling a little sluggish in the heat.

It was pointed out to me that at the end of this week I will have done 4 reasonably hard weeks and I should take a step back week. I'm going to do this. Initially I had planned on blocks of 3 hard weeks 1 easier week. Because I fee like I'm playing a little catch up and am not in the shape I would like I chose to ignore my own plan but I'm going to kop on as I want to stay injury free and be fresh for the hard sessions when they roll around. So next week will be a step back week, as a little reward I have decided that I will race as well (does this still count as step back week:confused:) Have found a 10k down the road from me so will give that a lash and then enter my next training cycle and ignore the midland half and lakeland 15 I mentioned before concentrating on the frank duffy 10.

72 Days to Berlin

Friday: 2mile w/up 3*2 mile intervals 2 mile cool down. Have attempted this session the last 2 weeks and failed miserably. First week I just hadn't got the guts, fitness or determination to do it, last week I hadn't the legs for the last interval so was delighted to get it completed this week.

Times were 10.58, 10.59, 10.58. Good consistent running but the last one hurt big style. Was aiming for 11-11.10 but after first one decided to try for 11s as I was feeling good. Legs were heavy starting but not tired.

After the last interval I ended up on my back with a swirling sky above me:), I call this feeling the "happy happy felling" as it is the ultimate natural legal high. Haven't been able to achieve it in training for a while. The downside of the happy happy feeling is it is usually accompanied with an upset stomach due to hard effort. An afternoon on the throne may be on the cards.

Viva la RoadRunner

70 Days to Berlin

Saturday: handy 4 miler @ 7.30 pace just to keep legs ticking over. Legs grand after Friday session although shins a tiny bit tight so did some extra shin/calf stretches.

Sunday: 20 miles @ 7.03 pace. Nice LSR, was a bit windy but had company so didn't really notice until I had to do final 4 on my own. Purposely met up with a friend of mine so I wouldn't replicate the heroics/stupidity of last weeks long run (there's plenty of time to hammer out 1 or 2 long runs). Must say this was the easiest 20 mile run I have ever done. The company definitely helped but running 7 minute miles feels really really really easy these days.

I hit 74 miles this week which is very pleasing. This is the first time I've hit these kind of consecutive weeks ever and I'm happy with how they are going and how I'm feeling. The mileage is one thing but there has been some quality in there as well so that is doubly pleasing.

Next week is a step back week. Mileage will drop back between 50-60 miles depending on how I'm feeling. I want to be relatively fresh legged for 10k (hoping sub 34 is doable) race next Sunday and then want to really hit another 3 high mileage weeks with some quality sessions thrown in again. There is some serious pain ahead :)

Managed to stay off the booze this weekend. It was easy, this marathon is the one I'm going to train properly for (may be the last I run relatively competitively) so no pissing around for the next 10 weeks. I usually avoid the pub if I'm not drinking but headed out with the in laws yesterday evening and was Mr Designated driver. Had good craic and was happy in the knowledge I was going to be fresh for my long run this morning.

Monday: 7 miles sort of recovery. Pace was all over the shop very up and down. Was running around the RacePix 5km (23rd October more info to follow ;)) course today getting a feel for it. Very fast course.

Have planned longish (14-16 miles) run for Wednesday this week and 10k race on Sunday. These two are the weeks most important sessions. Rest of week will be easy running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Monday: 7 miles sort of recovery. Pace was all over the shop very up and down. Was running around the RacePix 5km (23rd October more info to follow ;)) course today getting a feel for it. Very fast course.

I am subscribing to you newsletter :D Given that I have to miss Rathfarnham this year, this sounds v. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have planned longish (14-16 miles) run for Wednesday this week and 10k race on Sunday. These two are the weeks most important sessions. Rest of week will be easy running.

**moderator hat on** cheap plug???:D

All the same though a fast 5k in October you have peaked my interest alright I think I may have to look into this and start stalking your runs to find this course:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Was running around the RacePix 5km (23rd October more info to follow ;)) course today getting a feel for it. Very fast course.

Hmm, a fast 5K in October, might be worth travelling east for that one..

68 days to Berlin

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.05 pace. Easy run on trails.

Wednesday: 14 miles @ 7.05 pace. As this is my step back week this was my long run for the week. Was a nice run and legs felt great but had a rubbish dinner (frozen pizza) late last night as I was out marking the RacePix 5km course with Ultraman ;) By the time I got to 10 miles I was starving.

Plan for the rest of the week is an hour tomorrow 40 minutes Friday, 30 minutes (or off) Saturday and 10k race Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was out marking the RacePix 5km course with Ultraman ;)
    Hmm... Is it 5k or 4.75k? :D

Hmm... Is it 5k or 4.75k? :D

Oh it's definitely 5k. I've ran it 5 times in the last 2 weeks with my trusty Garmin and cycled it 3 times last night with Ultraman1.

TheRoadRunner sports event management company knows what's important to runners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was out marking the RacePix 5km course with Ultraman ;)

Great, I should be able to tease the course out of him after about 60 miles on friday night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

TheRoadRunner sports event management company knows what's important to runners :D

What colour is the goody bag for this micro-marathon?

Will Marathon photos be allowed take photos at this event ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great, I should be able to tease the course out of him after about 60 miles on friday night :pac:

It's basically the same route as the Boards AC race last year. I've moved the start and finish to a much wider area though. My Garmin ANT messed up this week for some reason so I'll post a link next week when I run it again.
    What colour is the goody bag for this micro-marathon?

:D not too sure if there will be goodie bags and if there are they won't be full of the usual rubbish that are found in others.
    Will Marathon photos be allowed take photos at this event ;)

I'll let SP deal with that one ;)

Advertisement