Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How about you put your money where your mouth is!

No way, I would have thought you were a shoe in for sub 56, I thought it was a very bad bet on Brian's part....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    No way, I would have thought you were a shoe in for sub 56, I thought it was a very bad bet on Brian's part....

Don't know about that. Long runs and miles have made my legs feel like dead of late so may be missing the extra little bit of zip I may need to run under 56. 56.30 should be safe hopefully.

One of my big indicators for performance is my weight. Generally when I'm lighter I run faster. I can usually get my weight down to a certain level and then trying to shift additional pounds becomes near impossible. I love my grub and while I generally eat well my portion sizes are too big.

Back in April I got my weight down to a new all time low (3lbs below my normal goal racing weight). I was hoping to maintain this and then kick on in July/August and get my weight down to 7lbs below my normal race weight. Things didn't go to plan as I had holidays and lost a little bit of mojo for a while. Anyway after putting on a few lbs I had slowly got back to just below my normal race weight, however for the last 4 weeks nothing has been shifting. There were small week to week fluctuations but no change in body fat composition which is my real indicator. Caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror the other day and thought I looked like I had dropped some weight, this was confirmed by the mrs so I did my normal weekly weigh in a day early and I had dropped 4lbs since last week (and no move in last 4 weeks). More importantly my total body fat composition is down by nearly a full percent which is great. Another 2-4 lb loss would be great and should help me achieve a fast time this Autumn.

Wednesday: am 6.5 miles @ 7.50 pace, nice handy recovery run after sessions on Tuesday. PM 4.5 miles on grass just to loosen out the legs. Really helped recovery glad I made the effort.

Thursday: 14 miles @ 6.52 pace. Ran into work this morning. These days my legs are feeling strange. They are not tired in the normal way. Usually when I'm tired I have heavy and sore legs. These days they are just heavy. I guess my stretching and recovery runs are helping keep the pain, soreness and niggles at bay. Long may it continue

42 Days to Berlin

Friday: 8 miles easy on grass. Felt stiff starting out but loosened up nicely

Saturday: 8 miles detox run on road @ 6.51 pace. Was away Friday night and was on the beer. Drank a fair bit but nothing mental. No hang over to talk about but did eat out for both lunch and Dinner Friday so was eating rich food. Plan was for something faster but 1 mile in I decided this would be suicide (calfs and achilles very tight). Felt a hell of a lot better when I finished compared to when I started.

Sunday: 18 miles @ 7.05 pace along trails of Phoenix park. Met up with Ecoli, Krusty, Tunguska, Brownian and also bumped into Aero2k as well. Nice run, flew by, legs felt great and was tempted to keep going for another 2 but have a date with Mr Frank Duffy next Saturday so decided to hold something back.

So that was 82 miles for the week :) Honestly didn't feel that much. Good week really, savage interval session Tuesday, decent mid week long run and decent long run. This is my highest weekly total ever and follows on from 78 (that was my highest before today) and 72 mile weeks.

Next week is a major step back week (50-55 miles). Aim is to absolutely hammer the 10 miler next Saturday. I want to run flat out and use it as a yard stick of my current fitness. To do this properly means I need to get the legs freshened up so I will be doing a mini taper. A properly run race will help me readjust training tempo pace, interval pace, LSR pace etc for the final push.

I ran 56.09 last year I would love to run that (or faster) again. However while I think I am stronger than last year I'm definitely not as sharp. Last summer I was basically training for 10ks and had a bit of additional race toughness. I was relatively strong and took a few scalps of runners who were in Dublin marathon training. If I can run a similar time this year it's a good sign, it means I still have some of that 10k speed but looking at my diary I know some big mileage weeks (for me) are under the belt so there is definite extra stamina there, I am training for a marathon after all.

I've started a course of Pharmaton multivitamins today. I always do this about 6-8 weeks out from a marathon to make sure I don't get run down. I normally take centrum but the Pharmaton are like centrum on crack. Added to my cod liver oil tablets, flaxseed oil tablets and regular ibuprofen intake I now rattle first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great weeks training RR... Best of luck in the 10 miler....Interesting to c ur taughts about Pharmaton etc... For my last few marathons ive done the same 4 to 6 weeks out... Phar, cod liver , vit d , vit c , glucosamine... Im like a bloody walking pharmacy :D

• Advertisement

liamo123 wrote: »
    Interesting to c ur taughts about Pharmaton etc...

One thing I notice about taking pharmaton is that I am constantly hungry. Don't know if it's in the head but always seems to happen when I start taking them.

37 Days to Berlin, 19hrs 43 minutes to Frank Duffy 10 ;)

Monday: 6 mile run. Was supposed to be at recovery pace but running partners kept pushing the pace. I ended up having a mickey fit. Definitely not the recovery run I had planned.

Tuesday: 6 mile recovery run. Told usual running partners to jog on and did this on my own. Legs feeling crap but proper recovery pace thankfully.

Wednesday: 8 miles handy with 20 minutes easy Fartlek included. Just wanted to get some leg turn over. Legs feeling crap again but a little better than Tuesday.

Thursday: 5-6 miles easy with LeCheile around RacePix 5km race loop. Legs feeling a little better but not great. Went to the physio (magician) in the evening. He went to town on my legs and as well as a great rub down we did loads of stretching exercises. I was wrecked leaving him. Had to take some pain killers when I went home but legs felt generally free of knots and niggles.

Friday: 30 minutes easy running. Just wanted to shake legs out and get some blood flowing. Legs feel really good. Some minor tightness in achilles but nothing to worry about.

Really looking forward to tomorrows race. Going to go out at 56ish minute pace and hopefully pick up some time in the last few miles. Legs feeling really good so no excuses. Added bonus is that I've had 5 nights of 9+ hours sleep. RoadRunner jnr has finally decided to sleep :D, he's lucky as I was contemplating doing a BA Baracus on him and knocking him out. Who needs EPO when you have sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

I ended up having a mickey fit.

A mickey fit, that's a new one on me, do tell us more!!

Patrick_K wrote: »
    A mickey fit, that's a new one on me, do tell us more!!

Mickey Fit

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Super, I shall be using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

. Added bonus is that I've had 5 nights of 9+ hours sleep. RoadRunner jnr has finally decided to sleep :D, he's lucky as I was contemplating doing a BA Baracus on him and knocking him out.

I wouldn't get too sure of yourself there. :p
    We've had many false sleep promises from our Yung Son.
    Girl toddlers are the best. :)

Good luck tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Best of luck tomorrow Dave, show 'em what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

#28: Gemma Marie Steel - 00:55:37
    #29: TheRoadRunner - 00:55:50

Superb result (in spite of the above :D). All the omens are lining up for a fantastic time in Berlin.

#28: Gemma Marie Steel - 00:55:37
    #29: TheRoadRunner - 00:55:50

Superb result (in spite of the above :D). All the omens are lining up for a fantastic time in Berlin.

I was expecting this :) they had to fly in a chick to beat me. She was nearly taken out of the race by a stag at 4.5 miles. Was an amazing miss. Pity he didn't hit her :) was running beside another English girl at the time and told her there were deer strategically placed to take out the English. I don't think she thought I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

I was expecting this :) they had to fly in a chick to beat me.

Doesent matter if they flew her in from Mars...A chicking is a chicking :pac: ( cant remember exactly where I read ( or more importantly who posted ) this before :eek: ).... Btw great time yesterday ....19 sec quicker than last year not bad for someone who reckons they're not as sharp as last year.. Seriously quick time for Berlin is on the cards......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Seriously, I'd throw a right Mickey Fit if I still got chicked after running a time like that. Great running all the same, Berlin looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was expecting this :) they had to fly in a chick to beat me. She was nearly taken out of the race by a stag at 4.5 miles. Was an amazing miss. Pity he didn't hit her :) was running beside another English girl at the time and told her there were deer strategically placed to take out the English. I don't think she thought I was joking.
    Apparently Kathryn Thomas finished ahead of you as well, but because she's part of the organization committee, she's not allowed to win any prizes.:) Lets politely ignore the fact that I was beaten by six wimmen. :p

liamo123 wrote: »
    Doesent matter if they flew her in from Mars...A chicking is a chicking :pac: ( cant remember exactly where I read ( or more importantly who posted ) this before :eek: ).... Btw great time yesterday ....19 sec quicker than last year not bad for someone who reckons they're not as sharp as last year.. Seriously quick time for Berlin is on the cards......

I'm going to demand a gender test :) in fairness she looked all women to me though. PB buzz destroyed by a chicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ah now in fairness Gemma Steel is a well known runner, you hear her name on bbc athletics all the time.

Oh btw TRR, better luck next year :p

34 Days to Berlin

Saturday: Frank Duffy 10 mile 55.50 chip time. New PB. Race went well, managed to run easy all week and the legs felt perfect. Saturday morning had a little tightness in the achilles but stretching soon sorted that out. Hovered around the elites while they were warming up and joined them at the front of wave 1 when they were ushered in. Seen a few of the Boards lads and after some of the usual crap from the announcer on the tannoy we were off.

Wanted to settle into my own pace but found I was running and surging with different groups so I just put the head down, ignored those around me and found my own rhythm.

Was feeling good to the 5 mile mark, breathing was perfect but legs were feeling the lactic burn. Miles 6 and 7 were very tough but I was gaining on those in front and pulling away from those behind me. Reading race reporrts and logs it seems like everybody suffered on these miles, bit of a drag with a wind in the face. Good support on this stretch however including heffsarmy who wasn't just shouting the Donore boys on ;)

Knew once I got to 7 mile mark 2 faster miles were ahead. I thought a PB attempt had escaped me as my legs were buckling so concentrated on my secondary target which was 56.30. Mile 9 was nice and fast as was downhill and some of the lactic cleared. Some quick maths told me a good time was on the cards so I absolutely hammered the last mile, took off up the hill at St Mary's hospital like a man possessed, dropped the 2 guys I was running with but 300 metres later I was regretting having pushed so hard, I was swimming in lactic again and the finish looked miles away. Put the head down and pushed again seen 55.35 on the clock as I got close and knew I was going to go under 56 so I was delighted. Just missed out on winning my bet with brianderunner but 55.52 was on the clock when I finished so I think my time was generously rounded down so I've no complaints. I know for sure there was nothing left in the tank.

Obviously happy with this race but 2 things stand out. Firstly my last mile was great, I was dying a death but was still able to keep the legs turning over, I wasn't able to do this in the Parkwest 10k a few weeks back so it goes to show getting the legs in order and rested is important. I'm definitely going with a 2 week marathon taper rather than my usual 10 day taper. Secondly, I think this is the first time a longer race (10 miles or over) has ever compared well my times over shorter distances as predicted by the McMillan calculator. I'm generally better at the shorter stuff and my times fall off the longer I go. This time based on my 10 mile time McMillan's predictions for shorter races are close to what I have run this year. This shows me the extra miles I'm doing in training compared to normal are paying off and hopefully will continue to scale up to the marathon.

3 weeks of hard training left. I don't think I will run a 10k now. I've 3 long runs I want to do and 3 marathon paced runs and doing the 10k will mess them up. I do have a club 10k I will probably do but I may actually incorporate that into a marathon paced run. I find I need a few days to recover after a race so this is my logic. As an aside I'm envious at some of some lads ability to go for long runs the day after a race. I can hobble around but times are slow and has led to an injury for me before so play it safe these days.

Sunday: 10k recovery. Legs in a heap. Still wrecked today so will be taking it easy today and tomorrow.

50 miles for the week which is fine as it was a step back week.

Race splits were (10.07 miles on Garmin)
    1 00:05:25
    2 00:05:34
    3 00:05:29
    4 00:05:29
    5 00:05:32
    6 00:05:45
    7 00:05:44
    8 00:05:41
    9 00:05:26
    10 00:05:29
    11 00:00:19

No complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Jasus - I lost nearly a minute on you over the last 5 mile:eek: Lots of work to be done. Great run TRR.

• Advertisement

Pronator wrote: »
    Jasus - I lost nearly a minute on you over the last 5 mile:eek: Lots of work to be done. Great run TRR.

The benefit of fresh legs! I took it handy all week. I think I remember you saying you had 3 tough weeks behind you.

The benefit of fresh legs! I took it handy all week. I think I remember you saying you had 3 tough weeks behind you.

You're being modest. Great run Dave. Myself and Phil are doing 22 saturday morning if you're interested. Saying local, 2 laps of a hilly 11mile loop.

32 Days to Berlin

It's been tough going this week so far. In hindsight I shouldn't have worn racing flats on Saturday. They definitely helped me run faster but I haven't worn them lately and don't train in them at all. I'm a big lad so the lack of cushioning really knocks the stuffing out of my legs. Have been stretching well, taking anti-inflammatories and wearing recovery tights in the evening. Recovery runs have also helped and I think the legs as slowly coming around now. Have a planned MP run this week but I may have to put it off if the legs aren't back to 100%. I'm pretty happy where my fitness is at the moment and I'm not willing to risk an injury. We'll see how the rest of the week goes before I make a decision.

Monday: am 5 miles @ 7.28 pace, not feeling great. PM 4.2 miles @ 7.50 pace. Wasn't feeling great but loosening legs out followed by good stretching routine helped a lot.

Tuesday: am 7 miles @ 6.54 pace. Feeling a bit better but legs seriously beaten up. Feel like Vinny Jones has spent an afternoon kicking the **** out of me. PM 4 miles same as Monday not feeling great but in combination with stretching routine definitely helped loosen up legs.

Wednesday: 14 miles @ 6.43 pace. Needed to get a medium long run in today but I thought running on the road back home would be asking for trouble. I can definitely feel the difference of running on grass versus concrete at the moment. Took the morning off work and headed for the Phoenix park. Stuck to the trails and really enjoyed this run. Was feeling good, legs still a little tired but not beat up so hopefully I should be back close to 100% on Friday.

tunguska wrote: »
    You're being modest. Great run Dave. Myself and Phil are doing 22 saturday morning if you're interested. Saying local, 2 laps of a hilly 11mile loop.

I'll let you know Friday if that is ok? Where is the loop?

I'll let you know Friday if that is ok? Where is the loop?

No problem. Starts at Tallaght ac and goes up to the waterworks but this time instead of going in the gates we continue on up the hills. Two laps of that.

tunguska wrote: »
    No problem. Starts at Tallaght ac and goes up to the waterworks but this time instead of going in the gates we continue on up the hills. Two laps of that.

I know it well. Great run, I'll let you know for definite tomorrow but am probably less than 50/50

27 Days to Berlin

Thursday: am 7 miles @ 6.57 pace. pm 4 miles @ 7.30 pace. Early run felt great could have continued off for another few miles but knocked it on the head as want to get a bit of oomph back into the legs. Evening run was enjoyable and in tandem with good stretching legs felt 95% recovered from 10 mile race.

Friday: 8 miles @ 6.37 pace along canal bank and trails. Ran with a work colleague I haven't seen in about 6-7 months. Really enjoyable, he's primarily a hill runner, heard he was giving out yards about me later on as I was chatting to him over my shoulder as we were taking in a couple of hills. He use to murder me on those hills. Shows there's a bit of strength in the legs :)

Saturday: 21.5 miles @ 6.32. This pace looks good on paper but in fact was a mini disaster (well that's the way I was thinking Saturday afternoon, but have had time to reflect).

Plan was for 10 mile easy followed by 10 mile @ MP and then easy 2 miles to bring me home. Did first 9 miles in 6.51, then hit MP miles but could only manage 8 @ 5.52 pace before absolutely hitting a wall of sorts. Stopped for 30 seconds as I was all over the shop and trudged the remaining 4.5 miles home.

I've seldom felt this bad and probably never during a training run. Was a bit disappointed when I got home but having discussed it with a couple of friends I've seen the positives. Early in the week I was looking forward to this run but by Friday evening my energy levels were incredibly low. I went to bed early but still felt crap Saturday morning. If I didn't know better I would guess that my red blood cell count may be on the low side. I have been taking supplements that have ample iron but hadn't eaten red meat in about 10 days (not intentional). The wind was a bastard Saturday morning, the route I chose to run was uninspiring and very open and I had no company which would have helped greatly. I also hadn't prepared properly the night before and hadn't left enough fluids out on the route. MP miles were a little on the fast side but the wind made it very hard to judge an even pace. As I said I was absolutely wrecked but still managed to run the 4 miles home. I can honestly say it felt like I was running 10 minute miles but in reality I ran them @ 7.05 pace so that was a little encouraging also.

I've 2 more MP runs planned. The one this week has added importance now as I'm trying to see what's a realistic pace to head out at for the marathon. Current plan is 5.55 but may scale that back to 6 minute miles. 5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot but I'd rather have something in the tank and attack the second half or even the last 10k of the marathon. I know everybody has doubts about how they will be able to run 26 odd miles at their desired pace but I'd like a little confidence booster if possible.

Sunday: 6.25 miles @ 7.01 pace. Legs fully recovered and didn't feel like I'd put them through hell on Saturday. Happy days.

Another 80 mile week in the bag. Hopefully can get another 2 good weeks in now before taper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Current plan is 5.55 but may scale that back to 6 minute miles. 5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot but I'd rather have something in the tank and attack the second half or even the last 10k of the marathon.

Still loving the positive attitude.

If I remember correctly you did this in London and spanked the last 10km but still got beat by spiderman or sth :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Still loving the positive attitude.

If I remember correctly you did this in London and spanked the last 10km but still got beat by spiderman or sth :D

Thankfully not, I managed to catch spiderman at 19 miles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

If I didn't know better I would guess that my red blood cell count may be on the low side. I have been taking supplements that have ample iron but hadn't eaten red meat in about 10 days (not intentional)

I havent eaten red meat in years :)

Do you take tea/coffee with your meals? Ligands in these sequester non-heme iron (the only type available to you if you dont eat meat).

If so either skipping them 1 h before or for 2 hours after is a good idea. Else take orange juice/vit c tablet with your dinner. Ascorbic acid (vit C) is a ligand which competes with those in the tea/coffee, but leaves the iron in bioavailable form...

Probably you just had a bad day though. Who doesnt get bad days?

Advertisement