Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

brownian wrote: »
    OK. 0900 at TAC it is. Never been there, but seems to be same road as Cycle SuperStore?

Yes same road You turn in at Westpark Gym (big building just after Tallaght Village)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    . So meet at TAC clubhouse yeah that okay with everyone? what time about 9 to give RR a chance get up to race and get number and that sorted after the 12 miles?

I'm meeting Tunguska at 9.30 at race HQ in Firhouse. Registraion opens then so will sort that out then head out for run. Could meet you at 10 am at tallaght ac or meet you are race HQ for 9.30. If this is all getting too confusing just head off yourselves.

I'm meeting Tunguska at 9.30 at race HQ in Firhouse. Registraion opens then so will sort that out then head out for run. Could meet you at 10 am at tallaght ac or meet you are race HQ for 9.30. If this is all getting too confusing just head off yourselves.

Race HQ would probably be better signposted for brownian so I can do that if handier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Race HQ is Ballycullen Drive (Firhouse Community Centre) ?

I can do that - is it a plan?

I think ecoli and I are thinking of 12-15 at 7:00/mile or so at the weekend (Sat 0900, the Park?)...if you fancy a slow and easy jog. Where' the BHAA thing? I don't think either ecoli or I is inflexible vis-a-vis venue.
    Race HQ is Ballycullen Drive (Firhouse Community Centre) ?

I can do that - is it a plan?

Yep, we will be ready to head off running for 9.30. See you then

• Advertisement

14 Days to Berlin

Friday: 8.5 miles @ 7.05 pace. Lovely run along canal bank.

Saturday: 12 miles @ 7min pace, 10k race @ 36.10, 1 mile cool down. Last long run and went perfectly to plan. Never though I'd be doing a 12 mile warm up for a 10k and still run a reasonable time :) Met Tunguska, Ecoli and Brownian for run early in the morning. Nice run around water works make it back to race HQ with 5 minutes to spare. Grabbed my number did some stretching and started the race. Plan was to run 6 min pace for first 4 miles and finish at half maratahon pace and that is basically what I did. The splits didn't match up exactly with preplanned pace, but course was up and down and wind played a significant part. I ran by effort rather than pace and to be honest it felt how I hoped it would, relatively easy. Was disciplined and ignored other runners around me but decided if I was had the opportunity to pass some runners in the last mile I would. Tunguska was ahead of me but with a mile to go he had a good 15 seconds and he wasn't slowing so I just kept the pace consistent.

Sunday: 4 miles @ 7 minute pace. Was running too fast so bailed on original planned easy 6 miles.

Time to taper now. There will be no taper madness. The next 2 weeks are probably more important that some of my early training blocks. I need to get my self 100% right so need to be sensible and controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hey TRR, been hopping in and out of your log over the last few weeks/months, your going very well...some savage sessions/races completed.
    whats you marathon PB, a big scalp to be taken in berlin i reckon!

best of luck with the taper

Was waiting on the results from this. Very solid running man especially as the pace dropped and we were lower than 7 min pace on a fair bit of that run. Looking forward to see what you can do now come Berlin you been pulling off some savage training over the last few months (even prior to your marathon training)

seanynova wrote: »
    whats you marathon PB, a big scalp to be taken in berlin i reckon!

Thanks, 2.47 something.

10 Days to Berlin

Monday: 5 handy miles @ 7.03 pace along canal.

Tuesday: Rest day, need to double check but I think this was my first run free day in 10-12 weeks :eek: This wasn't a conscious decision. I sit on my arse all day and have found that a gentle run of 4 miles instead of a rest has great benefits for me (keeps me loose and feeling fresh). I had planned on doing 30 minutes in the morning and getting a sports massage in the afternoon. Had to get the sports massage in the morning however and RacoonQueen bait the $hite out of me so I couldn't run for the rest of the day ;) Only joking, legs were tender however so took the day off. Great sports massage by the way, legs felt great Wednesday morning.

Wednesday: 9 miles @ 7.02 pace. Handy run on back roads with friend.

Thursday: 9.6 miles @ 6.15 pace. Included 3 * 2 mile reps @ HMP (11.16, 11.08, 11.01). Glad I did this session legs were very lethargic on first 2 mile rep, was actually thinking of bailing as I wasn't enjoying it even though my breathing was fine and legs were ticking over nicely. The legs just felt dead. Glad I persevered, this session will keep the body on it's toes and have some reps planned for next week although they will be shorter in distance and a little less intense.

I'm pacing the half marathon Saturday (90mins) so I'm really looking forward to that. Even though it's not a race it gives me something to focus on and keep my mind off the marathon. May take Sunday off if I get a ticket to the all Ireland final. If anybody has one lying around their kitchen please give me a shout :)

• Advertisement

A couple of weeks back I had a brilliant conversation in work. There is a lad who does some running in my department and he likes to pontificate on about his training and performances. He's a decent runner but talks a much better game than he runs.

Anyway I keep my mouth shut and never really get into it with him. The Tuesday after Frank Duffy he is telling the girls (they are his main audience) about his run in the 10 miler and advising them (badly I may add) on their training. I had my eyebrows raised and the little fecker turned on me saying he seen me taking off like a mad man at the start of the 10 miler and said he couldn't remember passing me. I informed him that indeed he did not pass me (he ran 72 minutes). He asked did I break 70 and when I told him I'd actually smashed 60 he turned a nice shade of white. I quite enjoyed that little moment. Don't know why, it was just nice to wipe the sneer off his face.

Well I now seem to be the resident running coach in work. Every Jack or Jill who is running a race of any sort is coming to me with training plans and looking for advice. Didn't mind one or two knocking in but I have a pain in my hoop now.

A couple of weeks back I had a brilliant conversation in work. There is a lad who does some running in my department and he likes to pontificate on about his training and performances. He's a decent runner but talks a much better game than he runs.

Anyway I keep my mouth shut and never really get into it with him. The Tuesday after Frank Duffy he is telling the girls (they are his main audience) about his run in the 10 miler and advising them (badly I may add) on their training. I had my eyebrows raised and the little fecker turned on me saying he seen me taking off like a mad man at the start of the 10 miler and said he couldn't remember passing me. I informed him that indeed he did not pass me (he ran 72 minutes). He asked did I break 70 and when I told him I'd actually smashed 60 he turned a nice shade of white. I quite enjoyed that little moment. Don't know why, it was just nice to wipe the sneer off his face.

Well I now seem to be the resident running coach in work. Every Jack or Jill who is running a race of any sort is coming to me with training plans and looking for advice. Didn't mind one or two knocking in but I have a pain in my hoop now.

30 euro an hour consultation rate. We could have you retiring from work and going full time running/coaching before long:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On an entirely unrelated note, how do I leverage my recent gains in longer distances across shorter distances?
    Is it ok to wear shorts that don't match your singlet in a race?
    Is three bottles of Lucozade sport enough before a race, or should I be aiming to take on more liquids?
    Can I attach my race number to my body piercings, or does it have to be attached to clothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

On an entirely unrelated note, how do I leverage my recent gains in longer distances across shorter distances?
    Is three bottles of Lucozade sport enough before a race, or should I be aiming to take on more liquids?
    Can I attach my race number to my body piercings, or does it have to be attached to clothing?

Got there before me with a better list of questions :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You forgot to ask how long his marathon in Berlin is...

All joking aside, I've had to answer both of the questions above in the last day.

One lady asked me should she sow her sons number onto his t-shirt!

You forgot to ask how long his marathon in Berlin is...

yep answered that one earlier in the week. That one doesn't bother me anymore.

yep answered that one earlier in the week. That one doesn't bother me anymore.

Yep everyone knows that Berlin is longer than Dublin being 42.195k as opposed to 26.22m which is why Geb's World record on it is all the more impressive;)

On a slightly related topic

a friend of a friend was the the Higher Options students fair / meat market recently, minding the desk for TCD Dental school. Sample question was

"are there dead bodies and do we get to touch them?"

..I'm getting all my dental care done in Hungary from now on :)

On a slightly related topic

a friend of a friend was the the Higher Options students fair / meat market recently, minding the desk for TCD Dental school. Sample question was

"are there dead bodies and do we get to touch them?"

..I'm getting all my dental care done in Hungary from now on :)

Oh great. Have a guess where I will be manning a desk from 10 to 1 tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Thanks a mill for your pacing today TRR and nice to meet you!
    You may have had your trials and tribulations but you battled on manfully ;-)

Viva La RoadRunner
    PK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Job welldone yesterday , thanks , besides the balloon incident all went smoothly .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just 6 days now man. I'm reliably informed that the marathon is being shown on bbc2 sunday morning. Only one way to get on the tv: Keep up with Radcliffe.

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for your pacing today TRR and nice to meet you!
    You may have had your trials and tribulations but you battled on manfully ;-)
    Seres wrote: »
    Job welldone yesterday , thanks , besides the balloon incident all went smoothly .

Jesus you nearly kill a couple of runners with your pacing balloon and people seem to think you had a problem with it. I'm reposting something I wrote in the pacers forum

Things I learned today........

1) ensure balloon does not get entangled in mile markers.
    2) if balloon does get entangled in mile marker, stop and free it, do not continue on nearly decapitating a pacee and destroying said mile marker (11 mile marker)
    3) when taking water ensure balloon does not make contact with pine tree. The bang was like a gun shot and scared the $hite out of a lot of people. This was 500 metres after mile marker incident and 2.5 miles into the race.
    4) when taking burst balloon off wrist be careful not to rip off pacing band.
    5) use the bathroom before starting. Thought my bladder was going to burst.
    tunguska wrote: »
    Just 6 days now man. I'm reliably informed that the marathon is being shown on bbc2 sunday morning. Only one way to get on the tv: Keep up with Radcliffe.

I don' think that's an option. I could do a Father Neil Horan and take her out of it before the start though. Guaranteed to get my mug on telly as the runner who decked Radcliffe!

6 days To Berlin

Friday: 5 easy miles

Saturday: Pacing 1.30 half marathon, enjoyable run. Felt nice and easy although the idiots at the front of wave 1 deserve to be shot. Thanks to Krusty my fellow pacer for a good day.

Sunday: rest day, well not really. Went to Croke park. Mentally and physically wrecked after the game...... but happy :)

Monday: 5 miles easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck TRR!

Some savage training - ive enjoyed following the log recently. Hope you enjoy the race and get the fast time your training deserves.

Best of luck in Berlin. You're in good shape and savagely trained - I look forward to reading of your triumph.

4 Days to Berlin

Tuesday: 7 handy miles. Legs feeling good.

Wednesday: 6 miles with 4 X 1k reps (3.17, 3.10, 3.10, 3.17) and 2 minutes recovery between reps. Wanted to shock the system a little and this did the job. Just enough to get the heart rate up without taxing the legs too much.

Hamstring is definitely improving. Wasn't causing any serious grief while running and didn't interfere with training (only had to skip one session of mile reps) but had the horrible feeling it could cramp late on in race. I've been stretching well and it is definitely better. Lots of hot baths and heat pads have helped also. Should be 100% by Sunday. Reckon it's 95% at the moment and I'd take that the weekend. Was going to skip today's blow out as didn't want to aggravate it but it felt fine so was worth the risk.

Booked in to see the magician tomorrow for our usual premarathon stretch fest. I've told him to chill out for the day and make sure he brings his A-game! Judging by the reply I got I'm going to regret being a smart ass.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend now. Will give it my best shot and hopefully things go to plan. If they don't I've got plan B, C & D in place ;)

Don't think your training could have gone any better, No real injuries, lots of pb's , miles miles and more miles , All you need to do now is give that course a good bashing and follow the Blue line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Don't think your training could have gone any better, No real injuries, lots of pb's , miles miles and more miles , All you need to do now is give that course a good bashing and follow the Blue line.

+1, out of all of us heading to Berlin you're the one that everything has gone right for. Bar the humiliation of losing the Frank Duffy bet by one second of course ;)

• Advertisement

+1, out of all of us heading to Berlin you're the one that everything has gone right for. Bar the humiliation of losing the Frank Duffy bet by one second of course ;)
    by .1 of a second i think ;)

Advertisement