Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    by .1 of a second i think ;)

Even if it was .01 of a second, a failure is still a failure. A bit like losing the long jump by 1cm or losing the pole vault on countback ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

+1, out of all of us heading to Berlin you're the one that everything has gone right for. Bar the humiliation of losing the Frank Duffy bet by one second of course ;)

Yeah prep has been good but still need to get a decent race out of it.
    Even if it was .01 of a second, a failure is still a failure.

Bastard :) Anyway, if you had told me in January when I was in bad shape that I'd run 55.50 and consider it a failure I would have take your arm off.

Any Brian just remember those pints won't be delivered to your table unless you run sub 3 hrs, 3hrs and 0 seconds = failure and a trip to the bar to collect those 2 frothy pints. I swear I won't spit in either of them. I'll be in the Irish boozer in the Europa centre which I think is the agreed meeting spot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I'll be in the Irish boozer in the Europa centre which I think is the agreed meeting spot anyway.

awful boozer (spent a lot of time in Berlin) :)

Much better pub here

Much better pub here

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. What was so bad about the other one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Much better pub here

oooh. The oscar Wilde is actually much closer to my hotel and Liam recommended it too. Still might be go to the other one though since it has now been announced :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    oooh. The oscar Wilde is actually much closer to my hotel and Liam recommended it too. Still might be go to the other one though since it has now been announced :o

the Oscar Wilde? perhaps someone is reading too much into that photo of you and Frank in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Your in the shape of your life, great commitment since you decided to give Berlin a go, really really impressed
    May the running Gods be with you D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Feck that, Oscar Wilde it is, much easier for both of us. Couldnt care about the rest of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure when you're heading off, but very best of luck. Whatever about the race, we'll all take a leaf from your book on how to prepare for a marathon and run some cracking times along the way. Hope everything lines-up on the day and you get the time you deserve.

Go for a pee beforehand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dropped weight, ran more miles, no missed key runs, no injuries = new pb.

Enjoy and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Hope it all goes well for ye Dave. Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Enjoy it bud, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck. You are certainly in the shape of your life. As Larry said this is the race you have been training for the last few months so above all enjoy it (as much as you can with a marathon) and hopefully you and Geb will come out with new PBs by Sunday afternoon:D

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. What was so bad about the other one?

a heady mix of mulleted/waistcoated germans and randy auld wan pensioners in leather kacks from what I recall. About as irish as tony cascarino. May have changed, havent been there in a while.

The magic of berlin is the transport though. If yis dont like the europa one its a quick boozy U/S-bahn journey to Friedrichstrasse. Its all good.

Enjoy, and have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Best of luck sunday , no pressure but its time to raise that marathon bar to newer heights ! enjoy :)

Did my usual premarathon ritual and got the head shaved on Wednesday. Came close to disaster. Had 30 minutes spare before I had to address 200 young impressionable students so nipped into barbers. Barber decided to shave top of my head first leaving nice long hair on side (had a laugh as I looked a bit like Bobby Charlton without the comb over). Razor then broke and other 2 razors (and barbers) were in use. I was quite stressed as I was going to have to bail in the next 5 minutes with or without the rest of my head shaved. Luckily one of the other customers (who was in tears of laughter) volunteered his razor for a couple of minutes. The stress.

Thanks for all the nice messages. Hopefully things will go well. Determined to give it a real shot and hopefully the running gods are smiling. Flying it out this evening at 5.30pm

Thursday: 30 minute jog followed by sports massage legs feeling heavy but are injury free. Hammer has come along nicely :)

a heady mix of mulleted/waistcoated germans and randy auld wan pensioners in leather kacks from what I recall.

This taper madness thing must have finally hit me, that almost sounds like great craic.

Viva LaRoadRunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck man, have the perfect race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This taper madness thing must have finally hit me, that almost sounds like great craic.

Viva LaRoadRunner

Just checked, there's feck all grub in the Europa Irish Bar (just toasted sarnies). At least theres burgers and Fish 'n ' chips in the Oscar Wilde (unless you are still on your diet :p)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck RoadRunner, no bother to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Just checked, there's feck all grub in the Europa Irish Bar (just toasted sarnies).

ah, but can you eat the sarnies out of pre-warmed pre-greased leather kacks?

Love the barber story - one way of keeping student numbers down:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good luck on Sunday, some great training sessions you have been doing lately. Go out easy and fly home strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

God speed Road Runner, God speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck, very solid training will be rewarded

11 hrs to Berlin.

Heading to bed. Carboed up to my eyeballs. Legs feeling good. Hammer a little tight but stretching will sort it. Hoping I can get a good nights sleep now. There Is a great atmosphere building all day. I'm expecting an enjoyable experience one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Rest well - meep meep for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Have a great race TRR. I've been enjoying following your log. You've put the effort in and also clocked some savage times along the way. It will stand to u tomorrow. Good luck :-)

Less than 2 hours to Berlin :)

Slept like a baby. Just finished the brekie. Not a whisp of wind outside. Forecast is good.

Time to Shake 'n' bake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Less than 2 hours to Berlin :)

Slept like a baby. Just finished the brekie. Not a whisp of wind outside. Forecast is good.

Time to Shake 'n' bake
    Shake n bake is right , super running, You spaked that course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

savage running, what more can I say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Machine!

Advertisement