Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Pronator wrote: »
    What's your half marathon PB?

Had thought it was 76.18 until last night. Went through my logs and found that I ran 75.20 in Longford back in 2008 so that is my PB. I think I tried to forget about the Longford race as it led to a bad back injury :o

Wednesday: 72 minutes of angry, angry running. No GPS as battery was low. Head seriously wrecked by multiple a-holes this morning. Took my frustration out on run, murdered (not literally) my 2 running companions. Feeling better now :)

Thursday: 8 miles @ 7 minute pace

Friday: 8 miles @ 6.45 pace on road

Saturday: No running baby sitting all day. Managed to find the time to go on the lash though, go figure :rolleyes:

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7 minute pace on road and grass. Dying from the night before. Legs were a little stiff from dehydration so I cut this run short. Was honestly worried I'd pop a calf or pull my achilles

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.15 pace on the canal

Tuesday: 8ish miles @ 6.35ish pace on canal and around trails of Carton house. Deadly run, first enjoyable one in a while.

My motivation at this time of the year is always at a low and this year is no different. The short days do my head in. I am finding it hard to push myself to train and have decided to take a bit of a step back. I've had to push myself a good bit this year and if I keep going the way I had planned in preparation for Waterford it would result in me either getting injured or temporarily falling out of love with running and not training full stop. I have some goals I'd like to hit in the new year and an injured/very unfit/unmotivated roadrunner come Jnauary will not help me reach them.

I'll do what I feel like between no and December the 10th. If it's enough I'll go hard if not I'll just run and see how things go.

Beautiful days like today definitely help lift the mood though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Saturday: No running baby sitting all day. Managed to find the time to go on the lash though, go figure :rolleyes:

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7 minute pace on road and grass. Dying from the night before. Legs were a little stiff from dehydration so I cut this run short. Was honestly worried I'd pop a calf or pull my achilles

Tuesday: 8ish miles @ 6.35ish pace on canal and around trails of Carton house. Deadly run, first enjoyable one in a while.

My motivation at this time of the year is always at a low and this year is no different. The short days do my head in. I am finding it hard to push myself to train and have decided to take a bit of a step back. I've had to push myself a good bit this year and if I keep going the way I had planned in preparation for Waterford it would result in me either getting injured or temporarily falling out of love with running and not training full stop. I have some goals I'd like to hit in the new year and an injured/very unfit/unmotivated roadrunner come Jnauary will not help me reach them.

I'll do what I feel like between no and December the 10th. If it's enough I'll go hard if not I'll just run and see how things go.

Mile Reps, XC??? was expecting a slightly different log update since Thurs;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Mile Reps, XC??? was expecting a slightly different log update since Thurs;)

yep, all gone pete tong :(

• Advertisement

yep, all gone pete tong :(

Ah we all have times like that man you got out on runs which is more than me at times when motivation is lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

I'm in the same boat, at least your getting some training done. Breaking 80 mins is well away for me at the moment:( A bit of rest and re-group in Jan, I think that's the plan.

I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. I either train to my full potential and only race when fit. When not training all bets are off and my inner fat lad gets to have some fun. And boy has fatboy enjoyed the last few weeks.

Won't go into the ins and outs but last few weeks have been a disaster running wise. Have also put on a few unwanted lbs.

Anyway, I've managed to see the light and have got a new target for 2012 to keep me motivated. Can't believe I'm admitting to this but I'm running London marathon 2012 (not the olympics ;)).

The Mrs is with child and the summer is going to be a write off running wise so I want to run a big city marathon in the first half of the year. All my $hite talk about running fast over short distances have gone out the window for next year. It's extremely hard to explain but I just want the buzz of another marathon cycle. It will be hard to match the Berlin time as I reckon I need another 6-12 months of faster stuff before having a real pop at that but it's not to be and do you know what I don't care. I'll get into the best shape I can and plan on rocking London baby. Did it back in 2009 and it's an amazing experience.

Anyway I'm getting a few miles in and am going to start slowly increasing the intensity again. I'm not in too bad shape. I managed to run 16.40 for 3 miles with a 5.22 last lap dressed as santa to win a race in work the other day.

Viva La RoadRunner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to have you back. I was questioning where you'd disappeared to.

Congrats on the future arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I know what you mean about the short days. it is very hard to keep motivated.

Fair play on the new goals and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good to have you on board for London. Hope your around the Sunday night for pints. Now HTFU and get back into it :p (finally i get to say it to you)

Good to have you on board for London. Hope your around the Sunday night for pints. Now HTFU and get back into it :p (finally i get to say it to you)

I sure am. Really pushed my luck last night. Original deal was I'd fly over Saturday (Shels collecting my number) and come back Sunday. Not flying back until Sunday lunch time now.

HTFU is right, along with put the sweets/biscuits/takeaways down fatboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I sure am. Really pushed my luck last night. Original deal was I'd fly over Saturday (Shels collecting my number) and come back Sunday. Not flying back until Sunday lunch time now.

HTFU is right, along with put the sweets/biscuits/takeaways down fatboy.

You must be planning a late lunch on the Sunday then or not going to wait for me to finish ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    You must be planning a late lunch on the Sunday then or not going to wait for me to finish ;)

ooops, Monday. Heard you were out this morning with JB

ooops, Monday. Heard you were out this morning with JB
    Yep he's trying to injure himself before next week. Nice easy miles.

112 days to London.

112 days to London.

With 112 days to go, think its time to gve up the 1:30 am posts ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    With 112 days to go, think its time to gve up the 1:30 am posts ;)

Ha ha smarty pants. I was sober, just ringing in the new year. Was out nice and early this morning for my first longish run of this marathon cycle.

Ha ha smarty pants. I was sober, just ringing in the new year. Was out nice and early this morning for my first longish run of this marathon cycle.

Since when is 10.30 early? need to start running with Woddle and theboyblunder;) cant say much myself I was out round the same time sorry again about this morning. you around tomorrow for a run? I am off work so flexible

ecoli wrote: »
    Since when is 10.30 early? need to start running with Woddle and theboyblunder;) cant say much myself I was out round the same time sorry again about this morning. you around tomorrow for a run? I am off work so flexible

Jesus, 6am (or earlier) runs would literally kill me. 10.30 on new years day is early in the grand scheme of things. Yeah heading out tomorrow, not sure of arrangements yet but I'll let you know tonight/tomorrow.

• Advertisement

104 Days to London

Last week was first proper structured week back running. Did a bit over Christmas, got 3 weeks, each close to 50 miles so I was happy enough with that. Plan for January is to gradually increase mileage towards the 70 mark. I've done up a schedule for myself. It's not very fancy but draws on schedules I've followed (with some minor tweaks) in the past and I reckon it should have me in good shape race day if I can stay injury free. Will probably max out at 80 mile weeks in March.

Basically I will be going 1 long run (18-22 miles), 1 medium long run (12-14) and 1 session per week (mile reps, 2 mile reps or 5k intervals). Obviously it will take a few weeks to build up the long run. I hope to do 16 this week and 18 the following week. The medium long run will include some MP miles but these won't start until February. Mile reps start this week (missed last week due to illness) and will lengthen these in February.

Due to commitments at home I will have to hit these 3 key sessions during the week (Monday-Friday). The remaining 2 week days will probably be recovery double days (may not start these until February). The weekends are a little unstructured but I aim to run a minimum of 6 miles each day. If I can get out for longer and feel good obviously I will. In hindsight I hope to hit all these runs but I'll have to be flexible day to day and may have to move things around.

So I have roughly 15 weeks to London. I will take a 2 week taper and the build up to full marathon training is going to take me 2-3 weeks. This leaves me with a solid 10 weeks full on marathon training which is perfect. Any longer than that I usually get injured or loose interest. I won't be racing that much. Have a couple on the radar including the 10 in Craughwell and the half in Bohermeen. Won't make any decision on races until training is in full swing. I'd love to do the national road 10k again but it's the week before London. I'll definitely do it as a tempo but not so sure about an all out race. Any thoughts on this?

I'm also going to follow a 3 week hard 1 week easy cycle. This seems to work well for me. The easy week will still contain some sort of MP miles and intervals but will be reduced mileage (~50ish). I started to panic last week while reading over some of the training people have been logging here. However I've resisted the temptation of changing anything drastically, I have a fair idea what works for me and also recognise very high mileage does not work for me.

As for a target time! There's no use in being coy. I want to run under 2.30 (eventually). I don't think it will happen in London but I'm not ruling it out either. If I had a 3-4 month 10k cycle followed by a decent marathon cycle it could/would happen. For the moment the major target is to run sub 2.40 again. It's nice to do it once but I'd like to do it again to show it wasn't a fluke. All going well a new PB would be nice and if I'm flying a low 2.30 would be great. I have a couple of good training partners in work. One of them is running London also and has a PB of 2.35, he is targeting 2.32 so this is great for me training wise and possibly race wise.

I also see this marathon as an opportunity to gain some additional marathon data on myself. This is vital, last week I sat down and forensically went through my running diaries for the last 4 years and could easily spot the sessions that crocked me, or more to the point the hard days after a session that crocked me. I also had a bad habit of peaking too early (2-4 weeks) which is something I think I now know how to do properly. I'm hoping to push on from Berlin but if I don't hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes and get it completely right when I really target sub 2.30.

One last thing, due to psychological reasons my running week now goes from Sunday to Saturday. This may sound ridiculous but because Saturday and Sundays will most probably be easy days I'd rather split them up mentally so one is at the end of one week and the other is start of the next week. Sounds mental but whatever works I guess :)

Anyway last weeks training
    Sun: 13 @7.15 m/m sludge around Corkagh park. Poxy wind.

Mon: 7 @ 7.42 m/m. Run with my madra on the roads.

Tue: 10 @ 6.54 m/m. Run up to waterworks. Had been raining the night before and the water was pissing off the mountains into the resevoir, noise was unreal. Super run, poxy wind again though.

Wed: Sick with man flu. Was supposed to do mile reps but sense prevailed.

Thurs: 7 @ 7.06 m/m. Tipping around on the roads with my madra again.

Fri: 14@7 m/m. Long run on roads and around Carton house feeling good.

Sat: 8 @ 7.03 m/m. Run with madra around roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mon: 7 @ 7.42 m/m. Run with my madra on the roads.
    Sat: 8 @ 7.03 m/m. Run with madra around roads.
    Your madra has really come on over the last few days. Would you consider giving him your entry for London?

Having a good pour over previous training regimes seems like a good idea. Out of curiosity, which were the sessions that crocked you?

Your madra has really come on over the last few days. Would you consider giving him your entry for London?

Having a good pour over previous training regimes seems like a good idea. Out of curiosity, which were the sessions that crocked you?

The dog is more of a 400/800 type runner. She's great for the first mile but I end up dragging her ass after that. Should have said she doesn't actually last the full distance 2-3 miles and she's wrecked. I'm going to work on her base fitness over the next few months though :)

Sessions that crock me are generally the faster reps. I have pretty decent speed and can sometimes over do it on shorter intervals resulting in twinges in hammer etc. I'm going to avoid the track at all costs, just not use to running on it anymore, the bends cause lower leg injuries. Also when I'm doing mile/2 mile reps will aim to do it on a circuit that doesn't have too many corners. 2 mile reps on circuit in work gave me shin splints in 2009. I have a great 3 mile stretch along the royal canal that I am going to do my speed work on, it's gravel, very even and straight as a die. Boring as hell but it worked well for Berlin. Long runs followed by steady runs have also been my downfall in the past. And most importantly over racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sessions that crock me are generally the faster reps. I have pretty decent speed and can sometimes over do it on shorter intervals resulting in twinges in hammer etc. I'm going to avoid the track at all costs, just not use to running on it anymore, the bends cause lower leg injuries.

You're right to avoid the track. I find it to be a double edged sword: On one hand the track is so conveniant and logistically saves a lot of hassle. But on the other its a bastard for lower leg injuries. I've started a 10k program last week and it was niggle city. You should try the polo grounds if its doable timewise. Its perfect, like a track only without the injuries. I do sessions in there when I can.

tunguska wrote: »
    You're right to avoid the track. I find it to be a double edged sword: On one hand the track is so conveniant and logistically saves a lot of hassle. But on the other its a bastard for lower leg injuries. I've started a 10k program last week and it was niggle city. You should try the polo grounds if its doable timewise. Its perfect, like a track only without the injuries. I do sessions in there when I can.

Yeah polo grounds are a good spot. There is actually a field in Corkagh which is perfect, only 2-3 miles down the road from me, it's 1200 metres in diameter. It also has a 450 metre straight that runs parallel to the Grangecasle road so it is always well lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

I notice you're doing your MP sessions midweek. Are all your long runs being done as LSRs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunguska wrote: »

I like using the cycle track around the pitches. Bit of a hill on some of it but it's perfect for mile reps. I know some people don't like it because people play cricket, walk their dogs etc but I've never had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Wed: Sick with woman flu.

if it only lasts for 1 day...

Peckham wrote: »
    I notice you're doing your MP sessions midweek. Are all your long runs being done as LSRs?

No, hope to throw in some MP miles during the long runs. Will wait until I'm comfortable doing 20 @ 6.40-7 minute pace before doing this though. Hopefully mid to late February. Have nothing set in stne yet and when they start will depend on my progress and how I feel week to week. Found these types of runs brought me on massively during the Autumn. One or two of them literally nearly killed me but they are great for stamina and confidence boosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

104 Days to London
    I'll definitely do it as a tempo but not so sure about an all out race. Any thoughts on this?

Whats the upside in racing it all out? Too much risk involved IMO.
    Running it as a tempo sounds better. Even still you'll need to be very disciplined. Throwing a guy at the top of his fitness who loves to race into a national 10k is a risky mix. Could easily spill over into more than just a tempo. Anyway its a while before you need to decide.

I'm in for London as well so I'll be following your log with more interest than usual. Good luck.

Advertisement