Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhhh
    Viva TRR :D

u had us at ehh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

welcome back TRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good to have you back.. But how do we know it's really you?
    Could be just a thin guy in a fat suit pretending to be TheRoadRunner. Need photos. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good to have you back.. But how do we know it's really you?
    Could be just a thin guy in a fat suit pretending to be TheRoadRunner. Need photos. :)

Listen you old fart it's me :)

You'll be pleasantly surprised next time you see the streamlined TRR, I told you I could always loose weight while it's impossible for you to loose the years :D

25th of June - 1 July
    51 miles with a long run of 12 miles

2nd of July to 8th of July
    53 miles with long run (race) of 13.1 miles

9th of July to 15th of July
    Monday: 12 miles @ 7.15 pace mostly on the roads with ecoli.
    Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.33 pace recovery run along the canal.
    Wednesday: 9 miles total, included 4 * 1 mile intervals @ 5.30 pace with 3 minute recovery.
    Thursday: 7 @ 7.19 miles handy enough.
    Friday: 15.5 miles @ 7.17. Feeling ok but not great. A little tired
    Saturday: 6 miles recovery
    Sunday: 9.2 miles @ 7.30 pace. Handy aerobic run with ecoli to blow away some weekend cobwebs.

weekly total ~65 miles. Very happy with last week. Was delighted with Wednesday's sessions until I read some other logs on here :eek: Need to get the finger out :)

Plan is to build up miles slowly. Will work on long run initially. Ideally I'd be getting out twice a day 2 days a week but I'm finding it hard to find the time at the moment. Need to try a little harder however, as I need to get some extra miles in at a nice recovery pace. I found this helped me greatly last year.

Finally my weight is good. I'm at my Berlin racing weight so not a bad starting point. Would love to drop a little more. Should be doable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Knew you couldn't keep away............

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.20 pace on quiet roads and canal bank. Should have been 12 but was stuck for time and was wrecked anyway.

Tuesday: 9 miles @ 7.09 pace. ALong canal bank and trail. Should have been 10 but was so humid by the time I got out. Actually struggled with this one. Absolutely cnuty conditions.

One thing I'm noticing over the last few weeks is my average pace. It is roughly 20-30 seconds slower than when I'm near full fitness. Nothing major but I'm looking forward to running faster with the same effort over the coming months. Training this week will be a bit helter skelter. Long run is looking in doubt but hopefully I can squeeze it in somewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Surprised it took this long. Congrats on the new arrival.

Wednesday: 9+ miles with 5 * 1 miles at 5.30 pace with 3 minute jog recovery. Good session today. Wasn't in the mood but once I got going i really enjoyed it. Had company for the first one but was solo for the rest.

Did the mile reps on a long stretch of the royal canal out close to where I work that I christened the "Berlin stretch" last year. Ideal location for getting use to running even mile splits as it's 4 miles long with little or no turns and elevation gain/loss. It's very easy to control the pace and all 5 reps were within 3 seconds of one another. Happy with how this went as there is definitely more in the tank. It's nothing special but it's a good start. I need to stay patient and not get carried away. I'm itching to up the miles but mid 60s is a good place for me to be at the moment and stupidity led to injury earlier in the year already. I have to stop reading some logs on here. I'm starting to feel lazy :o

Next (planned) race is the midlands half. It's not a major goal race and I'm not training specifically for it but I got a free entry (got entry confirmation today) from one of the magnificent metronome pacers so will give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Next (planned) race is the midlands half. It's not a major goal race and I'm not training specifically for it but I got a free entry (got entry confirmation today) from one of the magnificent metronome pacers so will give it a lash.

Glad to see that went through as I am one of the free entries as well but I have heard nothing back :o

Any Goal races coming up? Are you planning to run Dublin?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Glad to see that went through as I am one of the free entries as well but I have heard nothing back :o

Any Goal races coming up? Are you planning to run Dublin?

DCM is a possibility but only if I get in shape to run sub 2.36.20 ;)

DCM is a possibility but only if

theres another race on 110 days after dat if ur stuck for a goal;).....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    theres another race on 110 days after dat if ur stuck for a goal;).....

I'd do it but I've never heard one person have a good word to say about the organiser. A right dick by all accounts :)

I'd do it but I've never heard one person have a good word to say about the organiser. A right dick by all accounts :)
    fcuk off back to letsrun...:D::D

Thursday: Very busy day and had planned to run after the nippers were in bed. Got a call from a friend asking me to join him in an alcohol fueled soiree in my local public house :D. Was raging to miss my run but twas a great night the highlight being shels4ever coming face to face with his running nemesis and serious money being put on the table regards the Dublin marathon. He'd want to get the finger out as I'm involved in the bet also.

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.05. At a conference all day so pissed it out at lunch and got 8 miles in.

Thursday: Very busy day and had planned to run after the nippers were in bed. Got a call from a friend asking me to join him in an alcohol fueled soiree in my local public house :D. Was raging to miss my run but twas a great night the highlight being shels4ever coming face to face with his running nemesis and serious money being put on the table regards the Dublin marathon. Friday: 8 miles @ 7.05. At a conference all day so pissed it out at lunch and got 8 miles in.

You lost money on me in Berlin, coached me to a failed london and now on board for a futile effort for Dublin... I would have though you would have known better.
    He'd want to get the finger out as I'm involved in the bet also.
    Going on the beer now so start saving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

shels4ever wrote: »
    You lots money on me in Berlin, coached me to a failed london and now on board for a futile effort for Dublin... I would have though you would have know better.

Going on the beer now so start saving...

Sounds like you are already on the beer Shels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Seems pretty rude not to let the rest of us in on the details of the bet(s).

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds like you are already on the beer Shels :D

:)
    Yep was a long long day...

Saturday: 9 miles @ 6.25 pace. Angry, angry run. Everything conspired against me getting out today. I won't bore you with the details. To make matters worse some pricks were shouting abuse at me from a moped and decided it would be a bit of craic to follow me (very dangerously) for half a mile. Managed to keep the red mist at bay but some little scum bag came very close to the hiding of his life today.

• Advertisement

Seems pretty rude not to let the rest of us in on the details of the bet(s).

As far as I recall shels is giving his nemesis a 10 minute handicap headstart, 50 euro on that. Also an additional euro per minute difference for the winner. Not a massive bet but it's all about the pride :)

Sunday: 10.5 miles @ 7 minute pace. Absolute horror show. I had hoped to run 16 on Friday but seen as conference was going to run late the prospect of running home was not on the cards so replaced with a shorter lunch time run and hoped to get the 16 in today. A crap night sleep thanks to baby, 3 hours of gardening (I have chronic hayfever :mad:) this morning, running too fast yesterday and worst of all, stupidly not refueling properly after yesterdays run meant that preparations were less than ideal. The mrs sugsted I head to bed for a rest instead of hitting the pavements but I was determined to get out especially as I was a bold boy Thursday night.

First 6 miles were grand and were around 6.50 pace but I quickly got into trouble and started to slow very dramatically, lost 30-40 seconds on the last 4 miles. I quite simply ran out of steam had to take a minor detour and jump on the Luas to get me home. Initially pissed off as this week should have buildt slightly on last week but obviously didn't. In hindsight it was decent enough as I knew I'd be juggling work/home things and I feel very very tired now.

Will get back on track next week.

Monday: 9@7.44. Ran with ecoli, absolutely fooked. Ran in Tymon, I find it is not the best place to run when tired. Running up and down the ditches is like doing a fartlek. I wanted to stop at 6 miles but between us, we tricked me into doing the 9 miles. Ate rings around myself afterward. Had a meeting in Dublin and some of my colleagues were in awe of the exhibition of gluttony i put on. Mad for carbs and protein all day.

Tuesday: 11 miles @ 7.05 pace. Feeling better. Legs still a little tired but 100% better than Sunday/Monday. Lovely soft day for running. For the third day in a row I managed to lose both nipples to the dreaded nipple rub. It's a pity nipples aren't vital organs, my ability to replace them would mean I would be a great nipple donor. I could get a car sticker saying "the owner is a nipple donor".

Wednesday: 9 miles including 5*1 mile at 5.30 (or under) pace. Three minute jog recovery. This session was character building. Lack of sleep and physical tiredness meant I was dreading this getting out of bed this morning. Hit the Berlin stretch for these and to makes matters worse I was running solo. I normally have an entourage and while we don't all do these together we jog the recoveries and warm up etc together. Was quite warm but went to my mental happy place and just ground it out. Aerobically these reps are a piece of piss, it's just my legs that are causing the problem. They should get stronger over the coming weeks and I'll look at increasing intensity and reducing recovery.

Also ran todays run in my new brooks S7s. This is something new I'm trying. I normally train in Kayanos and have done so for the last 10 years meaning I'm use to a lot of cushioning. I'm generally a little heavy for wearing racers in training also so come longer distance races such as a marathon I do not wear racers as I fear cramp etc. Will try to get the legs use to training in a light shoe with the goal of racing a marathon in them eventually.

Another disappointing week. No long run again. Work and home transpired against me. I could give you a list of what went wrong but won't, instead of dwelling on the negatives I'm looking at the positives. I still got out every day and a couple of those days I literally had to drag myself out the door. Could have squeezed a 2 hour run in last night but would have meant finishing at 11pm and I was already wrecked so decided against it. If I can just consistently add a long run to my training I'll be happy. In all honesty, it's all I'm missing at the moment. With this in mind I am going to rejig my schedule so I expect to do most long runs on Mondays (fingers crossed)

Thursday: 7 miles @ 6.52. Handy run along the canal

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.20. Was very tempted to skip this. Was falling asleep in work. Stopped the car in Corkagh park on the way home and decided to get a few miles in. Luckily met one of the lads from the club so did 4 handy miles with him @ 8 min pace, he headed off and I'd woken up by then so I sped up. Was happy to get this in.

Saturday: 8 miles @ 6.51. Stags do planned for Saturday so that meant getting out early for this run. In all honesty I felt fine but literally found it hard to manage to find the time as was getting picked up early. Got out around 8am and hit a hilly loop around my way that I haven't done in a while. at 4.5 miles I was reminded why, a motherfcuker of a hill. Puked at theb top of it which was feat seen as I hadn't eaten anything that morning. Ran a 10 miler 5 years ago that took that hill in twice I finished second and literally couldn't do anything for a week, will have to inculde this into a long run soon.

Sunday: 6 miles @ 7.07 pace. After 9pm before I got out. I had legged it from the stags do early in the hope of doing a long run in the morning but had no luck. Was very tired starting again but happy to get it done. Helped clear the head and had a great nights sleep after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good to see you back TRR.
    I can relate to the "almost" sleeping in work thing, eating like a horse and nipple pain.
    You'd want to teach that TRR junior to feed himself soon;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Good to see you back TRR.
    I can relate to the "almost" sleeping in work thing, eating like a horse and nipple pain.
    You'd want to teach that TRR junior to feed himself soon;)

Ha true I'm confusing her with my moobs.

I heard you've been spotted running around Corkagh park. That's two Sli Culann muppets invading my park without permission. I'll have to plan a ninja attack Tonya Harding style on the two of you soon. Seriously do you run there most work days now?

Monday: 16 miles@6.58 pace. This was a slog. Started on my own and was going grand, had company from 5-9 miles and he was running faster than I would have liked, had different company for 9-14 miles and he was going slightly slower than I would have liked and did last 2 on my own and went faster than I should have just to get it over and done with. Pace all over the shop and was warm and sticky as well.

Tuesday: 7mile@7.24 pace. Legs feeling a little heavy so took it nice and handy. Nothing to report apart from the poxy rain.

Next 2 weeks are tricky. Have a family wedding this weekend so that's a bit of a write off. Also off to London for a couple of days next week so won't get anything done then either. Have a half marathon the end of next week and it will be a tremendous kick in the bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey man

Sorry never wrote back to your message other day phone was on the blink and didnt recieve any messages till battery went flat and was turned off and turned back on. Doing a session thursday if you interested (1200m reps) off all day so am flexible for time

Wednesday: 8 miles@7 min pace. Didn't get out until after 9.30pm. Took in a new route around my way that has a nice climb on it. Had the head down and was running up the small hill, took a look to my left and had a view of the entire city lit up like a Christmas tree, absolutely magic looking, but only realised then that it had got dark and I had no reflective gear on and was on a dodgy road with no footpath. Had to put the foot down a little to get back to the safety of a path ASAP. These late night runs kills me, I don't eat enough after them and as a result my legs feel heavy the following day. I knew this in advance but had to get a run in, as if I missed it I had the feeling it would spiral and I'd miss 2 weeks of training, that's just were my head is at the moment running wise. It's a little bit of a chore and I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so better do all even if it has an effect on planned sessions the following day!!!!!!

Thursday: 10 miles @ 6.45. Was supposed to do some 1 and 2 mile reps but had to call a halt after one of each. Was putting 10k race effort in and getting absolutely nothing back. I realised I was running myself into a dead end so eased off and just trotted a few miles with a friend. Sessions ruined by last nights run but I'm taking the positives from both and I was glad to get out.

Things are not going to plan but they are not exactly disastrous either. I'm thinking of running DCM, I know what I need to do to get into 2.3X shape and I'm not too far away really. I have the time, just need to get a good block of training and my mojo going again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Was supposed to do some 1 and 2 mile reps but had to call a halt after one of each. Was putting 10k race effort in and getting absolutely nothing back. I realised I was running myself into a dead end so eased off and just trotted a few miles with a friend.

had exactly the same experience last night - got 1.5 miles into a tempo and had to stop. Then had to give myself a good talking to that I hadnt become unfit overnight :)

Good luck with the DCM training - am in the same boat, running it and trying to get back to my previous best beforehand.

Advertisement