Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good luck with the DCM training - am in the same boat, running it and trying to get back to my previous best beforehand.

Thanks, I'm not definitely running. I'll see how training goes the next few weeks before making my mind up. It's nice to have a goal though, keeps the motivation up.

Friday: 10 miles @ 7.07. Had one chance to get out today and I nailed it. Meant a 5.30am start to the day but up to my eyes in work and at home so had to be done. Tough going, legs were dead. I need to take a look at my diet. I've made some changes recently and I may not be fuelling properly, don't worry I'm eating plenty but maybe not enough of some of the essentials.

Family wedding tomorrow and have to mind the kids in the morning but may get another early one in. Sunday will be ugly, any run will be a bonus.

Saturday: 6 miles @ 6.45

Sunday: 7.5 miles @ 6.40

Monday-Thursday: Sweet FA, was in London

Friday: 8 miles at unknown pace.

Saturday: 1 hour run, head wrecked so decided to run without a watch and decide what I'm going to do race wise for the rest of the year. I know what I want to do next year race wise but trying to get a plan together for this year is proving difficult. Well getting a plan together is easy, the execution is the hard part.

Sunday: 7 miles with middle 5 in 27.45. Just decided to put the racing flats on and hammer the roads. Very humid and warm. Was tough going but is nice to run ths fast when you feel like a fat waster. Am 90% sure I have a workable plan for the rest of the year. Will mull on it tonight and hopefully hit the ground running tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Saturday: 1 hour run, head wrecked so decided to run without a watch and decide what I'm going to do race wise for the rest of the year. I know what I want to do next year race wise but trying to get a plan together for this year is proving difficult. Well getting a plan together is easy, the execution is the hard part.

Sunday: 7 miles with middle 5 in 27.45. Just decided to put the racing flats on and hammer the roads. Very humid and warm. Was tough going but is nice to run ths fast when you feel like a fat waster. Am 90% sure I have a workable plan for the rest of the year. Will mull on it tonight and hopefully hit the ground running tomorrow.

Running 27.45 when feeling like that in a Solo run? you do realise I hate you :D

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Running 27.45 when feeling like that in a Solo run? you do realise I hate you :D

Yeah I know but I'm not at where i want/should be.

On the flip side I now have a plan and have the backing of chez TRR so going to give it a lash. It's amazing what 5 pints of Holland's finest can do for one's perspective. On the flip side Holland's finest needs to be knocked on the head for the next 11 weeks. No more excuses

Long term plan: Stay fit this year, hit 5/10k training in the new year. Get down to low 32 minutes for 10k or under. Target the national 10k on the road and track before moving into marathon training for an attempt at sub 2.30 in Dublin. Rotterdam 2014 is also firmly on the cards.

Short term plan: Balls on the block time. Stay fit and healthy. Will run Frank Duffy and target sub 57, half marathon in phoenix park and target sub 75. If all goes well a tilt at DCM and aim for 2.35ish. I'm coaching a couple of people and their progress has shamed me into getting my act together. Time to practice what I preach. I have no set training plan and will play it by ear day to day week to week. However main goal is to get long run done and dusted early in the week and let the rest look after itself. If I don't get the long runs in then no DCM.

77 days to DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

any interest in the Marathon mission ?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    any interest in the Marathon mission ?

Yeah I'll go along but mainly for a nose. I'm not their real target audience. I reckon I'm a bit long in the tooth to make the improvements they hope to see with their new criteria. Hopefully I'll pick up a few training and nutrition tips.

I reckon lads like yourself are just as important as the young uns. If you got to where you are now more or less by yourself , a bit of "expertise" could bring you on a good bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I reckon lads like yourself are just as important as the young uns. If you got to where you are now more or less by yourself , a bit of "expertise" could bring you on a good bit more.
    You mean an old man :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    You mean an old man :)

Ha not quite.

77 days to DCM

Monday: 16 miles @ 7.15 pace. It was the best of runs, it was the worst of runs. Condition for this were very tough. I love running in the heat, I find temps up to 25 degrees very enjoyable. The weather we're having at the moment has decent temps but the humidity is killing me. Found this very tough right from the get go (yesterdays effort obviously came back to kick me in the nads) and if truth be told I would have moved it to tomorrow if I hadn't of had two running companions. They are both very good runners and found conditions tough also, so I took some solace from that. Big mistake of the day was not dropping off water on the route this morning, I was delayed on the way to work so hadn't a chance to do so. We looped back to cars at 10 miles and got some water and a gel on board and I have to admit I found it hard to get the legs moving again. Had great craic with the lads although I nearly pulled a muscle in my abductor I was laughing so much at one point. Geting a nice training group together in work at the moment, 2 of us aiming sub 2.40 and another 2 aiming sub 2.50. Also another couple of 3.30 lads so hopefully should have company most days when wanted.

76 days to DCM

Tuesday: First double in a while going to try and get a couple in a week but will have to see how that goes. Hoping to get a lend of a running buggy in a week or so, so that should free up some time for me in the evening to get out with little miss TRR. Have a double running buggy at the moment but it's too big.

AM: 6 miles @ 8.05 pace. Nice recovery run, was feeling very tired and stiff for the first 2 miles but felt better when finishing. Still finding the humidity tough.

PM: 4 miles @ 8 minute mile pace. Another nice recovery run just to get the blood flowing in the legs. Legs felt much better this evening compared to this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Make sure you find some nice hilly routes to get you working with that run buggy.

Make sure you find some nice hilly routes to get you working with that run buggy.

Will drive to the hill top and "scut" all the way down :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will drive to the hill top and "scut" all the way down :)

How will you get back up to the car?

How will you get back up to the car?

Jesus everybody is a smarty pants today ;) I'll get a lift up or back. I haven't mastered the logistics yet. Might even put a quad engine under the carriage and rip around. Bet I could beat Gary Crossan then :)

75 days to DCM

Wednesday: 9 miles @ 7.06. Had hoped to get out early this morning to avoid the monsoon Met Eireann were predicting but got delayed. Was solo today so headed out with Florence and the machine on the ipod. Got 2 miles in and the heavens opened. Really enjoyable, ran along the royal canal and then hit the trails of Carton estate. No golfers out so was able to run around trails that are normally off limits. Was very wet but great craic. A little tired so didn't do the extra mile loop at the end I had initially planned on doing to make up to 10 miles as I have the whippersnapper of boards.ie visiting me tomorrow for a lunch time interval session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

185 days to D50k
    ;)

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ;)

Anto I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm also sure everybody will be in agreement when I say you're some bollix

74 Days to DCM

Thursday: 12 miles approx (including 3 * 2 mile @ HMP, 1 * 1 mile@HMP). The fresh faced whippersnapper (a.k.a ecoli) came out to Maynooth to do this session with me. Plan was for 4 * 2 miles @ HMP with 3 min recovery. I had to bail after a mile on the last one as I was starting to feel the strain a bit too much. Could have pushed on but was just afraid it was a little too much too soon for me. May be doing a trail race on Saturday and if not will do something fastish on my own so didn't mind holding a little back. Having said that the session itself was good and considering I had to bail on this session 2 weeks ago I was delighted to get in done. Company definitely helps. Did a 2 mile warm up and cool down also. Spent the cool down running around St Patrick's college looking for ecoli. I was afraid they may have mistaken him as a young vulnerable alter boy over there and wanted to make sure he hadn't been kidnapped. Was relieved to find him by his car on my return to the sports centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ahem [cough] paces? :)

ahem [cough] paces? :)

We agreed 5.40ish and probably averaged 5.45 which equates to just over 75 minutes for a half which is about right on reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

We agreed 5.40ish and probably averaged 5.45 which equates to just over 75 minutes for a half which is about right on reflection.

jesus - thats your pace not having done much speedwork recently?

Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Catching up TRR
    Things are not going to plan but they are not exactly disastrous either. I'm thinking of running DCM, I know what I need to do to get into 2.3X shape and I'm not too far away really. I have the time, just need to get a good block of training and my mojo going again

Good to see you challenging my best time. And Jack about time you raced Dublin
    Odds of 2-1 (pints) you won't do 2:35;)
    Monday-Thursday: Sweet FA, was in London
    No excuse. Bet your reply will be that you had no spare time or there was nowhere to run.
    Bet you had time for pints though?
    Odds gone up to 5-2 (pints) you won't do 2:35:)
    Friday: 8 miles at unknown pace.
    Detox?
    Long term plan: Stay fit this year, hit 5/10k training in the new year. Get down to low 32 minutes for 10k or under. Target the national 10k on the road and track before moving into marathon training for an attempt at sub 2.30 in Dublin. Rotterdam 2014 is also firmly on the cards.

I see someone is after giving you a kick in the hole

Ultraman1 will be saying the Donadea 50k will be the perfect prep for the national 10k :D

Hope to be targeting a fast spring marathon in 2014. Rotterdam sounds appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Abhainn wrote: »
    Catching up TRR

No excuse. Bet your reply will be that you had no spare time or there was nowhere to run.

Detox?

Ultraman1 will be saying the Donadea 50k will be the perfect prep for the national 10k :D

he only called me a bolix....u better move gaff

Challenge accepted. I won't be racing Dublin this year. I haven't raced a marathon yet ;) Should still go sub 2.35 all the same though
    Excuse is I couldn't be arsed. Had accepted that Tuesday and Wednesday were a right off as I was on the beer and going to events. I should have run Monday and Thursday though. That was a combination of laziness and being hungover.

Yeah myself, can't have you sli culann boys getting too big for your boots :)

It's crazy thinking that far ahead isn't it but it has to be done if you want to hit certain times and "race" a marathon :)

jesus - thats your pace not having done much speedwork recently?

Impressive.

Was doing them @ 5.30 pace this time last year so need to get the finger out. Only saving grace is that this year marathon is 4 weeks later than last years so all things considered I'm probably on track.

• Advertisement

73 Days to DCM

Friday: 4 miles @ recovery pace. The day got away from me today. Had hoped to do an early easy 6 miles on grass but settled for a late 4 miles on the road instead. Legs grand after yesterday session, a little tired obviously but fine. In my excitement I entered a trail race however so hopefully they feel a lot better again tomorrow. I got confused regards the race itself, it's in Donadea (ahem ;)) so I assumed it was organised by Donadea AC. Seems it's not and based on previous races I wouldn't say there will be too many people for me to run with/against. If there is, I will run it as a race and finish as high up as possible, if it's a bit light on competition I'll run it as a tempo or progression run depending on how I feel.

Advertisement