Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

31 Days to DCM

Friday: 7.5 miles @ 7.15 pace. Nice easy run along the canal. Nothing to report really. Feeling good. Probably will do a handy 5-6 miles tomorrow and then hopefully run a good MP session Sunday during the kilomarathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

What is your marathon pace TRR? Are you going to give sub 6:00s a lash? Or is that next year's big goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

What is your marathon pace TRR? Are you going to give sub 6:00s a lash? Or is that next year's big goal?

Think 6's are so 2011 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ah Sub 6 miling was last years target he has been there and done that this year will be pushing on from that:)

Nice. Yeah, sub 6s are a waste of time. To be fair, the one time I met TRR after a race, we ended up knacker drinking in the queen's front garden.. The man just doesn't take his running seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    Amazingly I find I train better when I have a few scoops, not binge drinking obviously but 5-6 pints a week have a net beneficial effect. It's probably mental but it helps me justify it.
    Yeast is very good for recovery. Of course you won't find any in that low taste-low calories Coors-lite sh1te you drink, but if you switched to a decent beer, you might find your training and recovery improving even more. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nice. Yeah, sub 6s are a waste of time. To be fair, the one time I met TRR after a race, we ended up knacker drinking in the queen's front garden.. The man just doesn't take his running seriously!

I just referred to the same incident in the same way in the London 2013 thread. Must stress that me and Forest are not the same person and we do have independant thoughts. :D

5.50-5.55 for this year. That gives 2.35. Not a massive jump on where I was last year but based on family life etc I'd absolutely take your hand off for that. I have an 18 month plan that starts in January and this year is about staying as fit as I can so even a slower marathon won't be a disaster in the grand scheme of things. I normally fall off the wagon badly if I don't have a big target to train for (see beer posts above:)) so I'm hoping to be able to hit the 18 month plan in decent shape. By the way plan isn't rocket science, next year bring down 5/10k times (maybe do Dublin) then train for Spring marathon the following year (2014) Rotterdam or Boston if I can afford it.
    robinph wrote: »
    I just referred to the same incident in the same way in the London 2013 thread. Must stress that me and Forest are not the same person and we do have independant thoughts. :D

Ha ha between drinking and windmilling I've got a bad name for myself at marathon finishes. I will have to do the full monty this year in Dublin to add to my antics!!! By the way RFR I may not take my running seriously, but I put it to you my friend ,you do not take your drinking seriously as I recall having to supply you with booze ;)
    Yeast is very good for recovery. Of course you won't find any in that low taste-low calories Coors-lite sh1te you drink, but if you switched to a decent beer, you might find your training and recovery improving even more. ;)

People must think I'm a bird reading this :D but yes I've been known to drink coors light in the past. However in London this year I drank a beautiful golden nectar imported directly from Australia, was piss if I'm honest but it passed my race bag criteria.
    1) Does it contain alcohol? YES
    2) Is it wrapped in a handy 6 pack selophane rapper so it doesn't bounce around the bag? YES

I tell ya, that can of Fosters was absolute heaven compared to that flat, cloudy mess that we got for free. Much appreciated. Cans in the bag is a bloody deadly strategy, I think I'll be incorporating it into my raceday routine. It'd definitely make the last mile or two easier to hold the pace knowing there's beer instead of bananas to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

However in London this year I drank a beautiful golden nectar imported directly from Australia, was piss if I'm honest but it passed my race bag criteria.

I have been in Australia over a year now and I am yet to see Fosters on sale anywhere. Even the Australians, who will drink any old piss, think it unfathomable to drink it.

Coors Lite comment has put me off this log just as you flying in the running environment.

• Advertisement

I have been in Australia over a year now and I am yet to see Fosters on sale anywhere. Even the Australians, who will drink any old piss, think it unfathomable to drink it.

Yes I heard that before. I guess it's the equivalent of Harp larger for us (cue abuse from Dundalkers :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Coach coach.... Digger's eating breakfast from burger king.... sack him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

claralara wrote: »

carb loading

Ah hold on a minute, Harp Lager isn't exactly top quality but it's a bit much to be comparing it to Fosters. Absolutely under-rated. Given the choice between Coors Light and Harp, I'd pick Dundalk's finest any day. I remember when I was about 17, the only pints on tap in the local up at home was Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp Lager and Tennants. Good times.

I spent 6 weeks in Oz 12 years ago and also don't think I saw Fosters anywhere apart from at the Grand Prix setup in Melbourne. The same is true of Bud in the States. Most Americans consider it absolute pi$$, which it is of course. And amazingly, at no stage when I've been over in Holland have I ever seen Dutch Gold or Royal Dutch. Strange one, that.

You were right TRR about me not taking my drinking seriously these days, but I took it extremely serious as a young fella.

claralara wrote: »

He must be have taken prerace diet advice from meno!!!! And I thought my Berlin dossier may have been patronising! I should have put in a sub section regards avoiding fast food joints until Sunday evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1, move to getting a bishops finger in you, you will enjoy it unless you had one already when you were younger in that case it may stir up some bad memories:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

5.50-5.55 for this year. That gives 2.35.

Are you gonna do a negative split, 79+76?

tunguska wrote: »
    Are you gonna do a negative split, 79+76?

Plan at the moment is to head out at 78 and see what happens then.

28 Days to DCM

Saturday: 5 miles @ 8.05 pace. Handy run on grass to shake the legs out.

Sunday: 21 miles with 26.2km @ 5.59 mile pace. Look at that the metric and imperial system hand in hand :) Idea behind doing the kilomarathon was to simulate the last 16 miles of the marathon, so planned to run it at marathon pace. Was also a final time trial before I threw my hat into the ring and registered for Dublin. If this had of went went tits up I wouldn't be still planning on running Dublin. Initial plan was 5.55 mile pace but didn't work out that way, in the end I was just under 6 minute miles and really had to work for them. The pace felt fine but I messed up on fueling the day and morning of the race. I was also more interested in tracking the Berlin marathon so hadn't put any real thought into the race that lay ahead. I was 10km in before I got to grips with the distance that still needed to be covered :rolleyes:. Was running with a friend for the most part but had to send him off just after the 13 mile mark as I was afraid of a DNF, that mile slowed down but I got going again for the final 2 miles. Really happy to gut this one out, at 10 miles I convinced myself I'd jog it in from 12 miles, I managed to tack a mile on all the way to finish and trick myself. Last 10km was as hard as any marathon finish I've ran. In hindsight it was too hard but no damage has been done and I'm feeling fine today. Finished 4th overall in a well organised race. I'd definitely do this again. The course was a little challenging but I think it's perfect preparation for Dublin, no major hills to speak of but plenty of drags and small rolling hills.

This week will be a semi recovery week, will try maintain mileage but not going to push sessions. Highest mileage week ever last week with 87 miles, some real quality in there as well so things still coming along nicely. I'm off to register for DCM now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

28 Days to DCM

Saturday: 5 miles @ 8.05 pace. Handy run on grass to shake the legs out.

Sunday: 21 miles with 26.2km @ 5.59 mile pace.

Sub 60 ten-mile pace for over 16 miles on a rolling course and a windy day. Seriously impressive stuff TRR

• Advertisement

I'm off to register for DCM now :)

93 bloody euro, that hurt. I probably wouldn't blink if this was an overseas marathon but it does seem a bit expensive. Could have got it for 70 but would have had to register a few months back and I've been burned by that before in that I failed to race so was 70 squids down. London was around £30 this year. I know scale and sponsorship play a major role but still!!!!

Well done in the race. Savage stuff. The cost of Dublin's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I remember paying 90 for Berlin in 08 and being bloody disgusted. Dublin was around 50-55 those days. Bar Boston and NYC, and Berlin (90 in 2008), DCM is the most expensive I've done.

93 bloody euro, that hurt. I probably wouldn't blink if this was an overseas marathon but it does seem a bit expensive. Could have got it for 70 but would have had to register a few months back and I've been burned by that before in that I failed to race so was 70 squids down. London was around £30 this year. I know scale and sponsorship play a major role but still!!!!

Just registered today myself. 95bills is very steep. 250quid if you can go sub 2:30 though. Some fine motivation right there.

tunguska wrote: »
    Just registered today myself. 95bills is very steep. 250quid if you can go sub 2:30 though. Some fine motivation right there.

Ha not this year for me, if I tried to head off at that pace it would be a real waste of my 93 euro entry fee :D

Bit of luck Sean runs, we'd have a great shot at the team event. Derek reckons he will be back for it so fingers crossed.

Bollocks, if I'd known there was 250 up for grabs for sub 2:30, that would've made all the difference. Sure, I can run 5k at that pace. It couldn't be that hard to keep it up for another 37k. I know a fella, who has an uncle who's wife's workmate told her in an email that sub 2:30 is handy.

Ha not this year for me, if I tried to head off at that pace it would be a real waste of my 93 euro entry fee :D

Bit of luck Sean runs, we'd have a great shot at the team event.

Was talking to his brother yesterday and he says that Sean is running alright. Reckon its on like donkey kong so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

93 bloody euro, that hurt.

theres a nice better value one on in 138 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

157 bob for Boston 2013. 32 punts for London.
    Doesn't make much sense

Oh and good running. 5:59's in those conditions and course set you up nicely.
    So you just need to find - 2 more secs / mile and 10 miles further and hope it not got KC's indian summer curse on it :)
    I know you can do it;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    So you just need to find - 2 more secs / mile and 10 miles further and hope it not got KC's indian summer curse on it :)
    I know you can do it;)

:D Thanks Joe. Hopefully evidence will suggest that I can ;) As long as I run 2.36.10 I'll be a happy man, hopefully something a bit faster to give you a target for Boston 2013.

Monday: 8.2 miles @ 7.48 Nice handy recovery run. Maybe a little too long to be classed as recovery but had company so didn't notice the miles go by. Legs fine although tired obviously. Big mileage (70+ is big for me) and me don't have a good history so I need to micromanage my body and keep a tight eye on every niggle for the next few weeks.

Tuesday: am 8 miles @ 7.30 near identical route to Monday run, had company again so miles zipped by. pm 5 miles @ 8 min, proper recovery run with the dog. Nothing to report except it was enjoyable.

Wednesday: 13.5 @ 7.07. Nice handy run along canal. Legs feel grand although still a little tiredness there. Glad I decided not to do a session as I genuinely believe pushing too hard at the moment could lead to injury. Was back on my foam roller and grid last night, quads nice and tender today :)

• Advertisement

24 Days to DCM

I have a couple of sets of compression gear and home. One of them however is absolutely unforgiving, it is white, and if you are carrying any excess weight you look like a fat bastard. From time to time I have a gawk at myself in the mirror when I have the gear on to get an idea where my weight/body fat is at. Last time I looked was back in January and I looked something like the fat lad below. Had it on last night so sneaked a look and it was good viewing so I jumped on the scales this morning. Weight is at it's lowest since I've started keeping tabs on it and body fat at 10.5%. Happy with those results and happy I passed the lycra test :D

DC09754lg.jpg

Thursday: 9 miles @ 6.51 pace. Handy lunch time run solo, had the ipod on for this and was very enjoyable. Was supposed to do a few easy miles in the evening but I had to work late last night as I was taking Friday morning off work to get my long run done. Didn't finish until after 10.30pm and while I was itching to get out for a run I decided that I would gain nothing and it would have been counterproductive and have a chance of messing up the LSR.

Friday: 24+ miles @ 6.49. I never in my life thought I'd say this but that was the longest and easiest run I've ever done. Plan was for 2hrs 40 minutes on my feet, lengthened it out to give me 24. Really enjoyable run. This was quite an important run for 2 reasons.

1) Get the body use to working for 160 minutes (more than needed in 24 days hopefully ;)).
    2) I wore my racing flats for the entire run. I've gradually introduced flats into my training and at the moment I wear them for approximately 20% of my training. My big fear is that I will cramp badly if I risked them on race day, up until now I've worn Kayano's in marathons and while I have had great experiences with them in training they are just too heavy for racing. I raced the kilomarathon in the flats last week and my legs were a little crampy at the end but that was to do with tired legs more than anything. I purposely avoided doing sessions this week to get the legs ready for today. I think I passed the flats test anyway. I have some mild inflammation around the achilles but it's not sore when I walk only when I touch therefore I will stop touching it :)

Advertisement