Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

TRR wrote: »
    Friday: 24+ miles @ 6.49.

Jaysus, you are in great shape.

If I didn't have a small amount of personal pride, I might buy into the lycra and lite beer training plan you have put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Jaysus, you are in great shape.

If I didn't have a small amount of personal pride, I might buy into the lycra and lite beer training plan you have put together.

What has pride to do with running fast/faster?

What has pride to do with running fast/faster?

Lite beer is just a step i am not willing to take to try and run fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

body fat at 10.5%.

I dont want to come across as negative but just dont want you to make the same mistake as I did with regards to body fat. I have a set of those scales and my body fat was between 9-10%. If you put it on "athlete mode" it had me at 4.5%. But then I read about a DEXA scan which is the most accurate way of measuring body fat there is. They do it in UCD, so I headed out there thinking my bodyfat was pretty low........Got a scan and it was 16%. That was a shocker. Anyway just to say that those scales can be off by a fair bit. I mean if you're body fat is really 16% like mine, then I reckon thats worth knowing because then you can work to get it down to 10% which would result in a fairly big jump in performance.

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont want to come across as negative but just dont want you to make the same mistake as I did with regards to body fat. I have a set of those scales and my body fat was between 9-10%. If you put it on "athlete mode" it had me at 4.5%. But then I read about a DEXA scan which is the most accurate way of measuring body fat there is. They do it in UCD, so I headed out there thinking my bodyfat was pretty low........Got a scan and it was 16%. That was a shocker. Anyway just to say that those scales can be off by a fair bit. I mean if you're body fat is really 16% like mine, then I reckon thats worth knowing because then you can work to get it down to 10% which would result in a fairly big jump in performance.

Good to know not negative at all. I use the scales for relative gains or losses so it is handy that way. Have never had the DEXA scan but my scales isn't too far off the old calipers method. But at the of the day less body fat means better performance. There are still more than a couple of lbs of lard I'd like to melt away :)

• Advertisement

23 Days to DCM

Saturday: 5 miles recovery. Was out last night at Krusty's a family 70th birthday party. Left car at venue so jogged back today to collect it. Legs feeling really good. Obviously they would be tired if I tried to push the pace but no niggles, tightness or soreness to report. Really happy with how the racing flats felt yesterday. Only minor injury occurred along a stony part of the canal when I stood on a jagged stone, with little or no support or cushioning in the shoes it hurt the sole of my foot and their is a small bruise there today but it isn't serious at all.

Tomorrow the club is hosting a 5 mile race. I'll head down and give it a lash, not expecting much as the legs should be a bit dead when I try to pull the trigger but will be a decent sessions regardless.

22 Days to DCM

Sunday: ~12 miles with 5 mile race in 26.50. Eh where the feck did that come from. After 24 miles on Friday I decided I'd be happy with 27.30 before the race but once I got going things felt great splits were, 5.02, 5.21, 5.22, 5.20, 5.17 and 30 odd seconds as I ran a bit long or garmin was acting the mick. Regardless splits were very consistent and in hindsight I could have pushed much harder earlier on. This is a 2 lap race and there is a bitch of an incline up the greenshills road so I did hold a little back. Over the moon with the time and what's more while I may not have been able to go much faster I definitely could have kept going at that pace for another few miles.

This is also one of the weirdest races I've ever ran. Due to lack to advertising there were only 86 runners in the race yet I only finished 8th.
    43 Days to DCM
    Next 3 weeks are incredibly important. I need to hit all my long runs and have some sessions planned also. Fingers crossed.

I wrote this 3 weeks ago. Over 80 miles again for the week, things have gone better than planned. I just need to make the start line feeling good and I reckon I'll nail a big one. Shake 'n' bake beitches

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done man. I looked at Woddle's photos, and it looked like you were cruising, rather than running 5:20s. Time to revise the DCM target?

Well done man. I looked at Woddle's photos, and it looked like you were cruising, rather than running 5:20s. Time to revise the DCM target?

Ha was thinking the same about yourself. I'll revise if you do ;)

What Krusty said.

I'm ignorant as to the vagaries of the marathon but I know training plans don't come together like this very often. Similar to Clara Lara, your potential time in a 'perfect race' scenario surely has to be getting quicker as you tick off the quality weeks?
    Time to revise the DCM target?

• Advertisement

What Krusty said.

I'm ignorant as to the vagaries of the marathon but I know training plans don't come together like this very often. Similar to Clara Lara, your potential time in a 'perfect race' scenario surely has to be getting quicker as you tick off the quality weeks?

Yes definitely is, but I'll still go out at 77.30/78 minutes for the first half. I've never ran well in Dublin and it knocked the bollox out of me last time I ran it properly. I have a few different goal times in mind. Dublin is probably 2-3 minutes slower than Berlin or London so that needs to be figured into the equation as well. I'll make a definitive call in 2 weeks and post it here. I'm not one for sandbagging or bull**** :)

21 Days to DCM

Monday: 8 miles @ 6.45. Plan was for a double recovery today but didn't get out until 5pm so lengtened the run and will skip the double. I like to get a run in eary and another late when I'm doubling with at least 7-8 hours between them. Pace today was too fast but felt very very easy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Shake 'n' bake beitches

:cool: Love it. Great race man, keep it rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Let's not bring his shady side into this Krusty although it would explain why he takes his time running through the Furry Glen ;):D

20 Days to DCM

Tuesday: 8.5 miles @ 6.55. Early morning run. Absolutely beautiful day. Had the ipod on and was listening to a playlist I put together when training for DCM back in 2007. Two things occurred to me firstly, I was into U2 at the time, can't stand them now. Secondly, if drug testers had of heard the remaining tunes on my playlist they would have tested me for recreational drugs, a lot of techno, dance and trance. Have a bit of a headache now. Must be getting old :)

Had a look at my training diary from last year last night. Specifically the 3 week taper in the lead up to Berlin. I think I'm going to have to scale things back a little bit as my current plan has a little more than it probably should have. The Berlin taper was perfect and I felt great on the start line so if it's not broke ...............

Wednesday: 19 miles @ 6.40 pace. Holy crap if any of you were looking to the sky early this morning you would have seen a massive mushroom cloud ballooning into the sky from the direction of Kildare. That was me literally blowing up at 15 miles. Hoooooooooolllllllllyyyyyyyyy **** Miley, it wasn't pleasant. Plan was 10 easy, 6 @MP and 2@HMP. MP felt brilliant at first, was floating for the first 3 miles. No idea what happened but I was absolutely fooked by the end of the 4th mile and shagged senseless by the end of the 5th. If this was a month ago I would have done my best to push on but seen as I'm easing back I didn't see the point in flogging a dead horse. Last 4 miles into work were horrendous. Had to take 2 gels within 10 minutes of one another. Absolutely no energy, I think I must have messed up on fueling as the legs actually feel grand now. Another factor was I was supposed to do this tomorrow but moved it a day back due to work commitments so I reckon 3 good weeks and Sundays race eventually caught up with me and kicked me in the gonads.

Anyway not stressing over it, first bad session in a while. 10k I had planned on doing this Sunday has been cancelled,Feckers. Now looking at a 10k Saturday instead. Will make a call on that Friday morning. Not going to run unless legs are feeling 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

if it was an early morning one heading into work its pretty ceratin that you wouldnt have fuelled properly? Ive run a few 15 milers straight out of bed in the mornings and even at a moderate pace I get heavy legged (like after 18 or so) after 10-12 miles.

Good glycogen depleting session! ;)

if it was an early morning one heading into work its pretty ceratin that you wouldnt have fuelled properly? Ive run a few 15 milers straight out of bed in the mornings and even at a moderate pace I get heavy legged (like after 18 or so) after 10-12 miles.

Good glycogen depleting session! ;)

Yes you are dead right, I usually try to get a couple of bagels on board before heading out but I only managed the one (sans Jam:mad:).

I've managed to get a number for Saturday I have friends in low high places;), so I'll see you there.

Have you ran it before? Looking at past results and talking to a couple of friends they reckon it is a slow 10K. I ran a trail race out there a couple of months back and found it OK to be honest, not quick but not very slow either.

Now to take it ham and cheesey for the next 2 days. I can't understand why people get taper madness. You're close to peak fitness and are sitting around more than normal, super stuff. Yesterday on the canal while I was having my physical and mental breakdown I was looking at a guy fishing, sitting on his arse in a sleeping bag type thing sipping a cup of tea. I'll tell you one thing for sure, in ten years time I won't be hammering the footpaths of the canal, I'll be fishing like my friend yesterday :)

Y

Have you ran it before? Looking at past results and talking to a couple of friends they reckon it is a slow 10K.

Good stuff.

Nah havent run it before. Looks like we will get good weather on the day but all this rain wont help those trails. Im telling myself the goal is really to burst the lungs and tire the legs for the run the day after so time is less important.

(will still be in a huff if I get a below par time)

Good stuff.

Nah havent run it before. Looks like we will get good weather on the day but all this rain wont help those trails. Im telling myself the goal is really to burst the lungs and tire the legs for the run the day after so time is less important.

(will still be in a huff if I get a below par time)

Rain won't help for sure but as far as I know the trails are quite gravelly rather than muddy, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Rain won't help for sure but as far as I know the trails are quite gravelly rather than muddy, if that makes sense.

excellent. looking forward to this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Is it Donadea you're doing? I found the transition from the road onto the rail hard on the legs last year. The trail seemed to take more out of the legs as you say it is quite gravelly and a bit undulating without any real hills.

Good luck with it. It's a good race.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Is it Donadea you're doing? I found the transition from the road onto the rail hard on the legs last year. The trail seemed to take more out of the legs as you say it is quite gravelly and a bit undulating without any real hills.

Good luck with it. It's a good race.

It is indeed. When do you leave the road and join the trail? Yes seems a good race I was down there last year handing out leaflets and people seemed to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Anto will be all over you to do the 50k now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

digger2d2 wrote: »
    did he not tell ya,,,,its billed as a showdown for the sensay and his disciples..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

It is indeed. When do you leave the road and join the trail? Yes seems a good race I was down there last year handing out leaflets and people seemed to enjoy it.

The first 2 miles approx are road.

digger2d2 wrote: »

Oh believe me it's already started.... acouple of months ago
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    did he not tell ya,,,,its billed as a showdown for the sensay and his disciples..

I reckon I could tagteam the golden couple..... oh wait that sounds nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Oh believe me it's already started.... .

going by the races he enters now,,,the only way Trr will enter the 50k is if a GAA club organises it or its for charity....:p

ultraman1 wrote: »
    going by the races he enters now,,,the only way Trr will enter the 50k is if a GAA club organises it or its for charity....:p

Ha ha you're some boyo anto :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sometimes it does no harm to have a **** long run now and then otherwise it would get boring:) Sounds like it was fueling alright, those early morning long runs can be a pig.
    Shaping up nicely for DCM.

Advertisement