Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

All set for tomorrow. Did a gentle jog yesterday and was feeling quite good after it. Went to the physio last night and was put through the ringer. I knew my hip flexers were tight but after some horrific prodding and stretching they are 10 times looser, so result.

I was also a little concerned with some tightness in my calf/shin area. Have had shin splints in the past and this felt like the start of them. Rest and physio session have definitely helped and I reckon I'm close to 100% for tomorrow. Just need to take it easy post race also.

Was talking to a freind today and was delighted to hear he is running tomorrow. We are of a very similar standard and usually end up in a race with one another when both of us toe the line. He is aiming for 55 minutes and hopes to blast through 5 in 27.30 and then hold on for second half. Earlier I was tempted to go with him but I've reconsidered and will stick with plan A of 28 minutes and then hopefully I can come through the second half strongly.

My 10 mile PB was set when I was 25. Normally in a race I pick out a person and judge how my race is going relative to their position ahead of me. Tomorrow will be different. I was a bit of a prick when I was 25. I did and said things that still make me cringe. I've also just completed paying off loans the 25 year old RoadRunner took out and blew on mental $hit. I don't like 25 year old RoadRunner and tomorrow if I get a sniff of his PB I'll bust a gut to catch the dick head.

Viva LaRoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lol. Classic! What did the 25yo prick buy?!
    Good luck beating the fecker. :)

Lol. Classic! What did the 25yo prick buy?!

They do say it's impossible to get rid of your internet past so I'd rather not say :) I might tell you in person if I see you tomorrow. Good luck with your race.

Boom absolutely nailed it today. 56.09.

Things don’t always go according to plan and today was no different. I managed to beat a seven year old PB that was set on a ridiculously fast course. Today’s course wasn’t fast by any stretch of the imagination and while it was tough in places it was a fair enough route.

Initial plan was to hit 5 miles in 28 minutes and then see what I could do on the second hillier half. I’ve been running well on hills the last 6 months so I knew if I was feeling ok at 6 miles we were on. First 5-mile splits were

1) 5.25 – perfect pace a little too fast but first mile always is.
    2) 5.37 – bang on target pace.
    3) 5.40 – holding form well and in a nice group including leading lady.
    4) 5.35** – this split was the most important of the whole 10. The group I was running with let the pace drop to 5.50ish pace half way through this mile. I knew I needed to push the pace but nobody went with me. I was in no mans land so made a huge effort to latch onto a group of 4/5 ahead of me (about 70 metre gap). Caught these and was working really hard but knew the next 2 miles were relatively flat/fast so I knew I could get my breath back. If I hadn’t of pushed on I think I would have lost 15 seconds easily here. The leading lady finished in 56.41 and I reckon I would have been with her if I hadn’t of pushed on.
    5) 5.32 – legs feeling good as was breathing but my abs were in ribbons. I really need to do start some circuit training again.

Hit 5 miles in 27.50ish. I actually thought it may have been quicker as I was running with my friend who hoped to go through 5 in 27.30 and the lads I was now running with were guys I generally don’t beat. There were 4 of us all together. I’m glad I mentally thought I was closer to 27.30.

6) 5.34 – let the 3 lads get away from me. They were egging me on to go with them but I needed to prepare myself for the military hill. Years ago my granddad who has no interest in athletics started to come watch me race on the track as he heard I was doing well in schools and BLOE races (800 was my thing). Long story short I blew the Dublins and came second by making a move way too early (250 metres to go). On our way to the all Irelands a month later my granddad uttered the following phrase that will forever stick in my head. “Listen I don’t know a lot about running but just make sure you don’t blow your muck before the waterjump”. Deadly advice I’d heard similar advice about not going too early but never really listened. When a 70 year old man who has never really spoke to you like an adult says those words you take them in. Transferring that to today’s race 6 miles was too early for me to push. I needed to keep on trucking at my own pace which I did.
    7) 5.44 – good strong mile on the hills here I’m back with the 3 lads and we are swapping the lead into the wind. Working really well as a group
    8) 5.38 – Another nice mile and now we are gaining on other lads who I never get near in races. I’m nearly wetting myself, how am I so close to these lads? I know this is one of my best races to date. I check the time at the course 8-mile marker and see it’s 45 minutes dead. That means I need to run 2 * 5.45 for the last two miles to give me a 3 second PB. We are now a group of 7 and again I feel the pace slacking off. I’m in 2 minds do I push on and chase the PB or run a proper race and make sure I take the scalp of some of these lads??? I went for the PB and the next 2 miles hurt like hell.
    9) 5.46 – I’m really suffering here I’ve got a gap on the group but I’m working so hard. Can’t wait for the 9 mile marker but am disgusted to see that the pace is so slow. I was hoping it would be closer to 5.30 so I could relax and enjoy the last mile. Even worse 2 of the lads have caught me. That mile felt like a 5.20 in terms of effort.
    10) 5.22 – Lads are sitting in behind me now but thankfully the legs are responding and are moving nicely. The road is nice and flat and I’ve a bit of rhythm going. Down the home straight I’m caught by one of the lads but I’ve nothing in the legs I can’t muster a sprint. In fact I’m praying for the finishing line. I haven’t done enough longer runs recently and I knew that going into this race. My finish would have been better with a few 18 milers under my belt. I’m not complaining though 56.09 you little beauty.

Viva LaRoadRunner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Enjoyed that TRR.
    You certainly nailed that PB.

Viva LaRoadRunner indeed. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fantastic. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great race report TRR!!! they are savage splits over a tough course. And the heat/wind didnt lend itself to a pb either. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Supper running . 1 PB down 3 to go :)
    Enjoy the Beers tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great racing and report, savage time for 10miles, enjoy the beers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Very well written, really enjoyed that, Phil said you were too hot for him in the end. Well done.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Supper running . 1 PB down 3 to go :)
    Enjoy the Beers tonight.

There will be a lot of beer tonight. Then the 2 mile PB is next on the "PB spanking agenda". Assuming my legs have recovered of course. Actually maybe I shouldn't go too mad on the beer. Dilemma dilemma

Woddle wrote: »
    Phil said you were too hot for him in the end. Well done.
    For once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Great race report - inspirational stuff. I can see that phrase being plagiarised left, right and centre.....well done.

There will be a lot of beer tonight. Then the 2 mile PB is next on the "PB spanking agenda". Assuming my legs have recovered of course. Actually maybe I shouldn't go too mad on the beer. Dilemma dilemma

No dilemma there at all, go mad tonight and enjoy i'm off to bavaria soon myself ;) .You'll run it out of you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done RR...fantastic time for 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I nearly blew my load reading the report. How do ye remember blow by blow is beyond me. Super running.
    I like 25 yrs olds that get silly loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1. Brilliant report on a brilliant run. Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Amazing! I wish I had a grandad like that who was more useful than a sneaky fiver (don't-spend-it-all-in-the-one-shop) of a saturday afternoon. :) Great report, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great RR, you looked very good as you strode past me. Your pacing was very good keeping your fastest mile till last. I reckon all your pbs will be updated with the form your in, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

great run TRR, savage time!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the nice comments above, much appreciated.

Have had shed loads of beer and have derived some new targets for myself. Hopefully they still are realistic in the cold sober dawn of the morning :o.

I've done an extensive search of my running logs and am not 100% of my 2 mile PB. I know I have run 9.58 and went sub 10 on at least 1 other occasion but can't remember what the time was exactly. Was definitely not quicker than 9.50. Maybe 9.55. That's the next target, maybe I should have done some speed work for this one but feck it I'll give it a lash.
    claralara wrote: »
    I wish I had a grandad like that who was more useful than a sneaky fiver (don't-spend-it-all-in-the-one-shop) of a saturday afternoon. :)

Ah yeah he was was good for the fivers as well was grand-dad RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I know I have run 9.58 and went sub 10 on at least 1 other occasion but can't remember what the time was exactly.

Is your name Usain Bolt by any chance :D

Fantastic run Saturday, good to run on a properly measured course for a change. Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot and nail all your pb's while you're peaking. Best of luck.

Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot and nail all your pb's while you're peaking. Best of luck.

That's my thinking as well. I think I'll run the 2 mile Wednesday and if I get close to a PB then great if not I won't be too worried. I'm defo in the shape to run quick but legs are a bit battered after Saturday. Was going to do 4 mile in Tinryland but will skip this now and get a long run in Sunday instead, dito for the following week and then will give it welly in the Firhouse 10k.

Monday: 7 miles handy enough at 7.15 pace. Can feel a few twinges in the lower leg so additional stretching is on the cards for the night. I also bought an heat and cold pack from lidl a month ago so will be using the heat pack before training runs and the cold pack post runs for the next little while just to be extra cautious. Nothing too be worried about and I'm going to make sure it stays that way.

Well as you can see from the title I'd still like to bag some PBs this/next month. To date I've got a 10k PB and 10 mile PB in the last few weeks. I'm hoping to do something fast on Wednesday night (PB number 3??) but if it doesn't transpire I don't mind. I love racing so am really looking forward to my first and last track appearance of the year (seriously thinking of giving the track a whallop next year, more on that in the new year).

I was going to run in Tinryland but I really want to run sub 34 minutes in the BHAA 10k in firhouse (PB number 4???). To make sure I do this I need a couple of longer runs and some good speed sessions. As I said above Tinryland is not going to happen now. I've a club 10k Thursday week and I'll run this very hard. It's a handicap race and if I've a chance of winning I'll race it if not I'll ease back in the second half.

Finally I hope to give the Rathfarnham 5k a bash. And of course a PB attempt will be on the cards (PB number 5?). I'm going to take a week off in September though so that may put a spanner in the works but as I said I love racing so looking forward to this as well, it's a flier. If I don't get the PB a sub 16 minute would do nicely.

Roll on Wednesday

Tuesday: 7.5 miles at 7.30ish pace. Legs felt strange today. Wanted to run at a higher pace then I was traveling at but I was worried if I did it would lead to a strain. Weird sensation.

Still a little battered from Saturdays race but will go ahead with tomorrow 2 miler as planned. As Saturdays adrenaline and endorphins have started to wear off I feel a little drained and am not optimistic about tomorrow. I'm still looking forward to it and it should be fun either way. At least I'll get a seasons best for 2 miles :D

Was doing my shin stretches last night. They are quite tortuous, especially when the you haven't done them in a while. They entail me getting on my knees and sitting on my heels so the the front of my foot is pushed into the ground. Like this picture. (I wouldn't mind her sitting on my heels, if you know what I mean). Anyway it's quite sore and my right knee was really throbbing with the kneeling on it. At first I couldn't figure why but then I remembered back in March I had a really bad fall on my knee and was actually on crutches for a week. I fell onto a busy road and was blessed I wasn't mowed down by a car. The knee was as big as a basketball and I thought I was going to be out for 6 months minimum. After 2 days the swelling came down rapidly and I was able to jog exactly one week later. I remember at the time thinking how lucky I was
    1) not getting knocked down
    2) Not suffering a serious knee injury.
    It's funny how you forget about luck you have and only seem to dwell on the negatives. My summer wouldn't have been as enjoyable as it has been if I had of botched that knee :)

Was doing my shin stretches last night. They are quite tortuous, especially when the you haven't done them in a while. They entail me getting on my knees and sitting on my heels so the the front of my foot is pushed into the ground. Like this picture. (I wouldn't mind her sitting on my heels, if you know what I mean))
    That stretch had me in tears yesterday got cramps in both feet while doing it, thats never happened before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I've been looking for something painful to ease the pain in the shins. I must try this. Also, I think if you stretch like that chick you start to look like her. Awesome.

claralara wrote: »
    I've been looking for something painful to ease the pain in the shins. I must try this. Also, I think if you stretch like that chick you start to look like her. Awesome.

**** this is not medical advice.

However this is the only stretch I fund really helps my shin tightness. This one coupled with some calf stretches and you will be on the right track. Do you ice your shins post run. This can help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great racing on Sat RR, looks like you got the pacing strategy just right and had the strength to see it through - what grade are you tomorrow night, looks like I'm going to be a rabbit for you ;)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great racing on Sat RR, looks like you got the pacing strategy just right and had the strength to see it through - what grade are you tomorrow night, looks like I'm going to be a rabbit for you ;)

6 I think. What standard are you? I think it's 18 seconds per grade.

Advertisement