Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    . Discussed the linear regression model (and pitfalls) associated with the McMillian calculator and the evolution of sensory networks in animals on today's run. My old running buddies use to talk about Man Utd :)

I see you can talk through your ar5e as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I see you can talk through your ar5e as well ;)

That fact has been well established and proven multiple times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That fact has been well established and proven multiple times :)

You'd make a great coach! :D

Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 7.05 pace with a few strides. Prerace loosener. It's a good sign when you're trying to run 8ish minute miles and you're way under 7 minute miles. Legs are good and body feeling great. Eyeballs out tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Legs are good and body feeling great. Eyeballs out tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Well fook me it was eyeballs out all right :D

Sunday: 9 miles including 5k in 15.55 for 3rd place. So I had a feeling there was a good race in the legs and based on how I've been going of late I reckon I'm close to 5k PB shape which is gas considering I've done nothing fast worth mentioning.

This 5k is organised by my club and I know the course well, I wouldn't say it is necessarily a slow course but it is by no means a fast course. There was a stiff wind for the last 2km and the last km has a serious drag on it so I knew something had to be held back for this. At the same time I was determined to go out harder than usual and see what happened. There were 5-6 guys who would normally be in or around me or 20 seconds or so ahead of me so these were my targets.

Warmed up well and was in a great frame of mind, I'd been looking forward to this race and was awake early this morning. The best way to describe how I felt on the start line was a little bit violent, I was pretty focused and didn't bother with a watch as I was going to race instead of clock watching.

Gun went and was in 4th place by the 2k mark a gap of about 40-50 metres behind the leaders (low 15ish minute guys) but ahead of my prerace targets. I eased a little off as I was caught in no mans land and feeling the burn by 3k the lads were on my shoulder and started going by me I had a serious talk to myself and got back in touch and from 3.5k onwards I just started to grind it out as hard as I could. The lads have been running track of late and I knew I wouldn't beat them in a sprint.

Hit the 4k mark and decided to empty the tank on the drag and try make a significant gap, head down and soon enough I couldn't hear their footsteps. When I lifted my head I now realised even though I was in a heap I was reeling in the lead 3, I caught 3rd and pushed as hard as I could by him so he didn't get any ideas. With 300 to go I was all over the shop but caught 2nd and just put the head down again, 50 metres later a large explosion emanating from my legs could be heard in Cork I absolutely blew up. I was swimming in lactic and made the fatal mistake of looking over my shoulder. That's all the encouragement the guy behind me needed and he came back at me so I ended up in 3rd. This one slip up is probably the only major flaw in my race tactics but I couldn't think straight at that stage.

To say I was wrecked is an understatement. I had a bad sinus infection earlier in the week and even though that has shifted I still have a head cold so I reckon this contributed to how bad I felt.

This is the first time I've gone sub 16 twice in the one year. Todays time although only 3 seconds faster the MSB race in March is a significantly better performance. If I can get a fast course on a good day the 5k PB is going down. Definitely more to come.

To top it all off I got a nice cash prize for 3rd place. We're heading out on the beer tonight so that 15 minutes and 55 seconds of hell will pay for our night :)

Another decent week. 67 miles (need to check).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

The best way to describe how I felt on the start line was a little bit violent,

No matter what you write for the rest of the year, im nominating this log for TLOTY in december for that sentence :).

Great running and report too. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So that's how to do it properly. Fantastic run and time. What's the 5K PB, by the way?
    We're heading out on the beer tonight so that 15 minutes and 55 seconds of hell will pay for our night :)
    Great stuff. Where are we meeting up? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Super running, did you wear a watch at MSB race?

And out of curiosity, will you change anything in training based on how you're feeling right now? ( I don't mean right now, as you're possibly seeing double and slurring, but 'now' as in general :) )

No matter what you write for the rest of the year, im nominating this log for TLOTY in december for that sentence :).

Ha, thanks. You know what I meant I was well psyched :)
    So that's how to do it properly. Fantastic run and time. What's the 5K PB, by the way?

Thanks, I am trying to find out definitively. It's 15.4X from Na Fianna 5k back in 2007.
    Great stuff. Where are we meeting up? ;)

Would't have been your sort of place. No craft beer and "selection" of beer was either Heineken or Carlsberg :)
    Super running, did you wear a watch at MSB race?

And out of curiosity, will you change anything in training based on how you're feeling right now?

No didn't wear a watch for MSB either. Just concentrated on running as hard as I could, there would have been sections yesterday especially last km, were pace would have dropped right down, if I was conscious of that it could have been off putting. Instead I just concentrated on trying to finish in front of some guys and catching others. That's what got me sub 16 again.

Regards training, I'm not changing anything as I'm focusing on the marathon, 5k races are just for fun and a reminder how easy the marathon is in comparrison ;) Weekly mileage will start to creep up and I hope distance of longer tempo run will start to increase as well. I had to skip that this week as I wasn't 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just seeing this now TRR nice running - you hit the right course and that pb is gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bohermeen 5k on June 8th. Its an evening race, great course, PB city, more than decent competition. Keep it in mind.

tunguska wrote: »
    Bohermeen 5k on June 8th. Its an evening race, great course, PB city, more than decent competition. Keep it in mind.

Cheers will keep that one in mind! What is that 5k in Lucan like. I know the course is flat but it seems to have a few tight turns!

Cheers will keep that one in mind! What is that 5k in Lucan like. I know the course is flat but it seems to have a few tight turns!

Yeah when you go through the park theres a fair few tight turns, drove me nuts last year. But overall its a good race.

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah when you go through the park theres a fair few tight turns, drove me nuts last year. But overall its a good race.

Cool thanks. Had planned on running it but my poor legs may have a say in whether that happens or not!

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.05 pace. Was supposed to be recovery but I was very bold, it was such a nice evening I couldn't slow down. I'm loving the month of May so far. Great running days weather wise bar one I think.

Tuesday: 9 miles @ 7.20 pace. Did this early in the day and plan was for 4-5 recovery in the evening. Was waiting for the Mrs to get back and was going to head out at 9 pm, she got delayed though so was 9.45 pm before I was ready to go. Was in my gear ready to head out and i realised this would have been a nothing run to appease my OCD so I listened to common sense and did some stretches and core work instead. 25 weeks to DCM, I need to stay injury and sickness free as much as possible. I've no problem pushing the boat out at times but tonight was not one of them!

Wednesday: am 9 miles no watch. pm 5.5 miles @ 7.12.

Early run was along the canal and around trails of Carton house. Also managed to take in a couple of hills which was a bonus. Hadn't the garmin for this but it was tasty enough. Running on the trails was great as lessened the impact on the legs. Evening run was a joke. Plan was for recovery 7.45-8 minute pace. Met with Ecoli (the lazy bastard I had to drag him out of a 3 day no running slump ;)) and plan was for handy run around Corkagh park but was a nice enough evening and underfoot was so nice. I need to factor in a few grass runs per week as legs felt fine after and didn't have the normal aches you associate with a road run. I also find running on grass helps build leg strength. Regardless, this run was too fast and these are the things that will lead to an injury. In hindsight would have been better not doing that run rather than running too fast. No serious effects however but will keep it in mind.

Thursday: 14 miles @ 7.20ish pace. Took the day off work as I had a few things to do in the afternoon meaning I could hit the Phoenix park in the morning. Met up with Drquirky and we ran a great 10 miles nearly all on grass. Was very windy out there and we both wanted to take it handy as we are racing on Sunday. Did the last 4 on the roads by myself and although legs felt good they are a little tired.

Plan for the rest of the week is to take it very handy and then run the Lucan 5k on Sunday. I hadn't factored on doing 3 * 5ks in 3 weeks and they are having an impact on my training but I'm in PB shape so I'm going to roll with it. I was in my 20s when I ran my 5k but so would be nice to beat that (an 18 year old in the club told me I was handy for an auld lad last Sunday :rolleyes:) Have a putative race plan but will all depend on how the legs feel Saturday evening/Sunday morning. If they're good I'm going to go off very hard and see what happens. I walked the course earlier and it's a lot faster than last weeks course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I know you said you ran your 5k PB in Johnstownbridge. Did you think it was short? When I did it last year no-one I know got more than 4.95k ( I got 3.01 miles) but yet it was like a big secret (like when CL and me did Longford half last year ;)) and everyone claimed the PB.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I know you said you ran your 5k PB in Johnstownbridge. Did you think it was short? When I did it last year no-one I know got more than 4.95k ( I got 3.01 miles) but yet it was like a big secret (like when CL and me did Longford half last year ;)) and everyone claimed the PB.

I've ran it twice. Hadn't a gamin for PB but second time was spot on. It's unbelievably fast! Fastest 5k in Ireland IMO, even faster than rathfarnham.

I've ran it twice. Hadn't a gamin for PB but second time was spot on. It's unbelievably fast! Fastest 5k in Ireland IMO, even faster than rathfarnham.

Yeah it's fast alright, but when It's fast and short it is really fast :pac:

Grand so, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it another lash this year. Maybe they just put the start line in the wrong place last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Jaysus meno, you've talked Johnny out of doing it and he's talked me out of doing it. Now you're going and doing it.......... :)
    You also doing Terenure?

Sorry TRR.....carry on.

• Advertisement

Jaysus meno, you've talked Johnny out of doing it and he's talked me out of doing it. Now you're going and doing it.......... :)
    You also doing Terenure?

Sorry TRR.....carry on.

Never mind meno. If anybody else was on bitching about courses based on gamins he would be telling them about the inaccuracies associated with gps watches.

You also doing Terenure?

Sorry TRR.....carry on.

If I can talk absolutely everyone out of doing it, you never know ;)

Yeah, now that I have got out of pacing the full in Kildare, I am likely doing Sportsworld. See you there. We can take turns into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

If I can talk absolutely everyone out of doing it, you never know ;)

Eliminating the competition, can't get much lower!
    Yeah, now that I have got out of pacing the full in Kildare

Good choice! You'd legs would be gone after that.

Friday: 6ish miles @ 7.20 pace. Handy early morning run just to keep the legs ticking over. There is a bit of tiredness there but they are feeling ok. I reckon plenty of stretching and a warm bath this evening is on the cards. Still have this blasted head cold. It doesn't seem to be effecting me when I run but I'm sure I'd be running better if it was gone. With a bit of luck there may be some improvement over the next 48 hours.

Really looking forward to Sunday, I have that mild violent feeling again ;) Regardless of what time I run I have nothing to lose, wasn't planning on doing this race so it's a total bonus. If it goes tits up so be it! Plenty more 5ks in the coming months to put things right if needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

6ish miles @ 7.20 pace

Nice pace, well done champ!;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Nice pace, well done champ!;)

Thanks, no weight loss this week though. I'm a fooking disgrace ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thanks, no weight loss this week though. I'm a fooking disgrace ;)

You're still my hero. :D

Really looking forward to Sunday, I have that mild violent feeling again ;) Regardless of what time I run I have nothing to lose, wasn't planning on doing this race so it's a total bonus. If it goes tits up so be it! Plenty more 5ks in the coming months to put things right if needed!

I'd say you'll definitely break 16. Just make sure you shake ronan long before the finish. He caught me napping with about 300m to go last year and took 7 seconds out of me in that short stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Good luck tomorrow, lad. Out fast and die hard, only way to run a good 5k. Remember if at any time you dont feel like dropping out your not running hard enough:) A 14 minute man told me that.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, lad. Out fast and die hard, only way to run a good 5k. Remember if at any time you dont feel like dropping out your not running hard enough:) A 14 minute man told me that.

I couldn't agree more and that's the plan :)

Saturday: 4 late evening handy miles with strides at the end. Legs are better than I could have hoped for! Some lower leg tightness but nothing major. Fatigue seems to be gone. Actually feel as good as I did last, week. Hopefully a faster course (and decent weather) will yield a good time. Looking forward to 15.XX (hopefully) minutes of gut wrenching pain.

Advertisement