Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

TRR wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more and that's the plan :)

Saturday: 4 late evening handy miles with strides at the end. Legs are better than I could have hoped for! Some lower leg tightness but nothing major. Fatigue seems to be gone. Actually feel as good as I did last, week. Hopefully a faster course (and decent weather) will yield a good time. Looking forward to 15.XX (hopefully) minutes of gut wrenching pain.

Four miles! The night before a race! You're some demon for the running. Don't worry about a thing, I bet you'll get all the away around the course without dropping out. Remember there's no shame in walking! (But if you do drop out, no harm in that either, just think of the calories burned and reward yourself with a pie).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Saw the results there 15.50 you must be happy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

He scowled at me. I think thats his happy face though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'd be happier if the precision bastards gave me the 15.48 that was on the finishing clock as I finished!
    He scowled at me. I think thats his happy face though.

Ah come on RQ, I was very nice today :)

• Advertisement

Sunday: 9 miles with 5k in 15.50*

Was feeling good for this one and while conditions weren't perfect no major complaints. Jogged the course again before the start and took not of a couple of tight bends. Was feeling good before the off and looking at the field I knew there were a couple of 15.20-30 lads but no one much faster so decided to try go with these and see what happened. Was feeling fine to 2k where there was a group of 5 of us although I was a little concerned as we were about 10 seconds up on the great Mick Traynor so I thought maybe I'd gone off a bit fast. Turns out he raced Friday as well so that probably had an impact on his race today.

Myself and smmoore79 got dropped from the lead 3 and the 2.5k to 3.5k was a struggle for us into the wind. Worst thing was at ~2.5km there was a sharp left turn onto a bridge, it knocked the momentum out of the legs and then I nearly slipped on the metal bridge. Before the race I also these this 1km stretch would be my best chance to get away from anyone close to me as I have the marathon strength in the legs so pushed as hard as I could and got a small gap on smoore, that I was just about able to hold until the finish.

Last mile was tough and at 4k I really wanted to stop, some people call it the "central governor" whatever you want to call it, it's a little voice that needs to be told to fcuk off. The conversation went something like

Little voice: Stop, stop, stop. I feel like crap!
    TRR: If I drop out now, we'll be sick as dogs later.
    Little voice: I don't care I'm bollixed
    TRR: Well, there'll be no beer later
    Little voice: Don't be fcuking stupid, there's always a few post race beers.
    TRR: not tonight you little $hit, beers are for good performances and to make matters worse you'll be like an antichrist.
    Little voice: suck it up bitch, head down and we better be drinking something decent tonight
    TRR: deal.

Admissions like this could probably get me institutionalised :) Anyway managed to keep the wheels turning and was so happy to hit the track with 300 to go. The gravel track meant I could gradually hear smmoore79 coming back at me, I've zero pace at the moment so I just kept plugging away and luckily enough was able to hold him off to finish 4th. I'm glad he ran that 5k beach race on Tuesday ;)

We finished 1st team which was a great result although during the week I was told it was 3 to count which meant we would have lost out to Raheny but it was 4 on the day so we prevailed. I think this was a bit of Karma, in last years Dublin 10 mile championships we would have won if it was 3 to count (which it has been since the year dot) but for some reason and I won't go into it it was 4 to count and we finished 3rd while Raheny got 1st. I'm a bitter git :)

So pretty happy with that result. Still think with perfect conditions and a good course I can eek another 10 seconds out of the legs. I find 5kms hard races to judge, you really need to attack them from the start and get on track early on. That's 3 in 3 weeks from me. I'm away next weekend and not back until Monday so Na Fianna isn't an option which is a pity as I reckon that's where it could have all come together, weather permitting obviously. I need a block of 5ks to get the pacing right and realistically I'll have to put them on the back burner for the rest of the summer if I'm going to concentrate on my marathon training. I suppose I haven't trained specifically for them but I'm about 15 miles down per week on average the last 2 weeks where I planned on being due to the races. Bohermeen 5k the start of June is a possibility I suppose, but I'm all about DCM this year so all of this will have to fit in with my training plan.

~65 miles for the week so no major complaints

*15.48 on the clock when I finished but precision have kindly found 2 extra seconds for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great runnin trr, you looked strong out there today. once that wind hit me on km 3 i wilted. I knew id never catch you at that stage but was happy for u to pace me to my new pb!! still have to get used to 5k pace, its so much tougher than 10k- for me anyways!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah come on RQ, I was very nice today :)

Yeah, you even looked at me at one stage. Maybe I shouldn't have tried talking to you at the cakes? Never seen anyone get so much food into their mouth in such a short space of time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Another good 5k under the belt TRR, well done. 5:05 per mile is fast running and a good platform to launch the 2:30 attempt from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super, super result. You're flying at the moment. If you can just manage a good beer mile time, you're a shoe-in for sub 2:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great run. Eyeballs out is the only way to target this distance.
    Little voice: suck it up bitch, head down and we better be drinking something decent tonight
    TRR: deal.

Straight into training for the beer mile. Not even taking a few hours off. We could all learn something from that type of dedication.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    still have to get used to 5k pace, its so much tougher than 10k- for me anyways!

yep, there's very little margin for error. If you don't go off hard enough you may miss your goal time by seconds go off too hard you'll miss it by miles. Getting the pace right is so hard. Haven't raced a massive amount of 5ks over the years but 5th time going sub 16 for me (3 times this year) and 4 of those were Garmin free. Something to think about ;)
    Yeah, you even looked at me at one stage. Maybe I shouldn't have tried talking to you at the cakes? Never seen anyone get so much food into their mouth in such a short space of time before.

Listen, it's a dog eat dog world and I knew those chocolate krispie buns had a limited half life so I made hay while the sun shone!
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    Another good 5k under the belt TRR, well done. 5:05 per mile is fast running and a good platform to launch the 2:30 attempt from.

Thanks, it doesn't point towards a 2.30 but was achieved off non 5k training so hopefully that is a contributing factor. I've never started marathon training from a stand point as good as this so fingers crossed!
    Super, super result. You're flying at the moment. If you can just manage a good beer mile time, you're a shoe-in for sub 2:30.

I'm working on it. Will be practicing chugging and gas release in 10 minutes :)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Straight into training for the beer mile. Not even taking a few hours off. We could all learn something from that type of dedication.

Yep pure dedication. I was only telling kurt the other day that Friday night we'd normally get chips from the chipper in chez TRR, the mrs brought me home a piece of smoked cod last Friday. Just to show dedicated I am, I took the batter off! Seriously impressed with myself. We call this the "Flano" diet after a friend of mine (Flano obviously) who lost a stone by cutting out batter from his 3 time weekly chipper meals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

We call this the "Flano" diet after a friend of mine (Flano obviously) who lost a stone by cutting out batter from his 3 time weekly chipper meals :)

This made me laugh out loud and I hate laughing.

Some performance today trr. Way to show that Central Governor who's really boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great run again TRR. Rotten day for 5K running too....I usually try bitch-slapping the central governor. Im now going to switch to bargaining :)

Well done on completing the 5k! My spies tell me you didn't even walk any of it- genius! Surely tonight of all nights you can leave the batter on your battered cod- you deserve it! Onwards and upwards, I expect to read about you running (or biking) a 10k one of these days ! lol lol lol :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

*15.48 on the clock when I finished but precision have kindly found 2 extra seconds for me!

They've robbed me of important seconds on so many occasions. In bohermeen last year I killed myself to get to the line in under 15:35, which I did(15:33)but was absolutely disgusted to see 15:37 on the official results. Ditto for rathfarnham 5k, national half in athenry, even that very same lucan 5k I was done out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

tunguska wrote: »
    They've robbed me of important seconds on so many occasions. In bohermeen last year I killed myself to get to the line in under 15:35, which I did(15:33)but was absolutely disgusted to see 15:37 on the official results. Ditto for rathfarnham 5k, national half in athenry, even that very same lucan 5k I was done out of it.

Same with my run last weekend(rather not say the time :o)
    Was 2 seconds out and you can see from photos im well past the line.
    Maybe they get the time from the mat after the line?

Same with my run last weekend(rather not say the time :o)
    Was 2 seconds out and you can see from photos im well past the line.
    Maybe they get the time from the mat after the line?

So we're agreed, precision timing are bastards :) Wow Tunguska I knew you had a good run in Bohermeen last year but I didn't realise it was that fast. Definitely heading down there now as my time yesterday was slightly slower than yours last year in Lucan so hopefully I'll see another few seconds come off in Bohermeen and go sub 15.40. I've heard good things about it and based on last years results seems to get a good field which will be a big help.

Monday: 6.3 miles @ 7.35 pace. The little voice in my head won't be a happy man/wanker! During our discussions I had agreed to take today off. I have some minor lower leg pain but history tells me this needs to be monitored very carefully as has led to shin splints twice before. So anyway had pencilled a rest day in until I developed car problems last night so had to drive car to garage this morning and run directly to parents house to get the lend of a car. Legs were grand but can feel the referral pain in my foot so calfs are obviously very tight. Lots of stretching planned for later and going to see ecoli for some treatment tomorrow. Thankfully this week is a recovery week as I'm heading away for the weekend and had planned taking 3-4 days off running completely anyway so all good.

Was just totting up recent 5ks in my head and was shocked to see I've ran 5 in less than 2 months

17/3 MSB 5k: 15.58
    24/3 Clongowes: 17.15, crap time but won
    27/4 Marlay parkrun: 16.31
    5/5 Tallaght 5k: 15.55
    12/5 Lucan 5k: 15.50

That's a nice little block of 5ks and I'm sure they'll stand to me the rest of the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Definitely heading down there now as my time yesterday was slightly slower than yours last year in Lucan so hopefully I'll see another few seconds come off in Bohermeen and go sub 15.40. I've heard good things about it and based on last years results seems to get a good field which will be a big help.

I'm doing it, paddy too so we'll have ourselves a team aswell. Gotta get right up the front for the start though as its seriously tight and narrow. And be careful of the old boy with the starting gun.......almost shot a few of us last year in possibly the funniest false start ever.

I'm doing it, paddy too so we'll have ourselves a team aswell. Gotta get right up the front for the start though as its seriously tight and narrow. And be careful of the old boy with the starting gun.......almost shot a few of us last year in possibly the funniest false start ever.

ha ha I remember you saying that all right. Cool about team, ecoli is away on a sausage fest holiday so he's not around but drquirky might be up for this as well.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.30. Real handy run today. Legs actually feeling great after a monster stretching last night. However I can still feel knots in each of my calfs and this is leading to referral pain in my foot so kept it nice and short.

Ecoli is going to go to town on the calfs later, I'm just hoping he doesn't try that kinky sex moved he tried two weeks ago! I was lying face first on his treatment table, he had both my feet in his hands and I swear to god I thought he was going to mount me :eek: He couldn't understand why my arse checks were clenched like an alter boy's on an Easter retreat!

Wednesday: 8 miles @ sub 7 min pace. Cracking run, didn't get out until after 8.30 pm. Had a few things to do including dropping my dads car back to lucan, walk the dog and get milk and I managed to do all 3 with the help of one run :) Drove to Lucan, ran the 6 miles back to the house, garbed the dog, ran to the petrol station, bought milk and ran home. If you seen a handsome bastard running through Citywest business park last night with 2 litres of milk in his right hand and a German shepherd on a lead to his left that was me!

Thursday: 10 miles @ 6.45 pace. Absolutely bouncing along this morning. Was going to lengthen to 12 but reminded myself I'm taking it very easy this week. Got a treatment from Ecoli Tuesday evening and helped massively. The referral pain is gone and can feel tightness in the calfs where it is originating from. They are a good bit looser now but still a little tender.

Not too sure if I'll get to run the next 3-4 days as I'm away at a family wedding. I have some running gear packed and will get out for a trot if it suits me. If it's too much hassle I'll just stay by the pool drinking beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Not too sure if I'll get to run the next 3-4 days as I'm away at a family wedding. I have some running gear packed and will get out for a trot if it suits me. If it's too much hassle I'll just stay by the pool drinking beer.
    Surely there's scope there for acclimatisation for the beer mile??;)

belcarra wrote: »
    Surely there's scope there for acclimatisation for the beer mile??;)

true, will look into that

Forgot to mention my war on TRR's blubber, didn't drop any weight last week but am down another 2lbs this week which is good going. I can still some extra blubber on the mid rift but I expect if I stay disciplined with my diet (I haven't been an angel) it should shift when I introduce longer runs etc! I reckon over the last 6 weeks I've averaged a 1.5lb loss per week.

I'm expecting lots of people to come in here and tell me how inspiring I am etc etc but I guess you need to be 7 stone overweight to start off before you get any back slaps or kudos around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'm expecting lots of people to come in here and tell me how inspiring I am etc etc but I guess you need to be 7 stone overweight to start off before you get any back slaps or kudos around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm actually in tears right now reading this, I'm so inspired....Have you consider ed becoming a "leader " for Operation Transformation next year? The whole nation could benefit from your efforts...

On a more serious note- do you think your diet actually has any real impact on your weight? It seems to me that just bumping up your training time/ intensity seems to do the trick, no? I find the weight starts to come off me as I get really consistent- at the same time my craving for ridiculous amounts of cake/ cookies/ pizza etc etc starts to increase as well...my inner fat boy just screams to get out!

I tried to encourage you when you completed your 5k, but you never even thanked my post. What's the bloody point of posting, if not to collect thanks on your posts?

So feck you TRR you fat lazy alco, you couldn't even make the Olympics.

drquirky wrote: »

On a more serious note- do you think your diet actually has any real impact on your weight? It seems to me that just bumping up your training time/ intensity seems to do the trick, no? I find the weight starts to come off me as I get really consistent- at the same time my craving for ridiculous amounts of cake/ cookies/ pizza etc etc starts to increase as well...my inner fat boy just screams to get out!

No for me, it's all diet. I have a ridiculous greedy appetite at times. Training quantity is actually only at about 75% of my peak training. I've ran blocks of 80 mile weeks in the past and lost no weiight as I wasn't watching what I was eating!
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I tried to encourage you when you completed your 5k, but you never even thanked my post. What's the bloody point of posting, if not to collect thanks on your posts?

So feck you TRR you fat lazy alco, you couldn't even make the Olympics.

Sorry Kurt, I thought you were mocking me ;) By the way I made the Olympics as a spectator and some would say I'm a special Olympian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Can you drop me over 2ltr of low fat milk this evening? nice little run for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

2 lbs in a week is a serious amount of weight loss. I'd almost offer the (non-informed) opinion that it's too much (unless you had a serious amount to lose, and judging by the photo in ecoli's log, doesn't look to be the case). One of the things I found when I was tracking my weight, was that it tended to bounce around from day to day, so you have to take a larger data sample to get a realistic view. Some of the things that helped me track it more accurately:
    • Weight yourself in the morning only, after your daily rituals/ablutions (you know what I mean) and after having drank 800ml water
    • Don't weight yourself when dehydrated (e.g. after beer the night before) or after a run - it just gives a false data point
    • If your weight is too low or too high ignore it. Weigh yourself the next day and the next, and if it's consistent, that's your weight.
    • You don't notice the weight loss until one day you realize none of your trousers fit you any more (on more than one occasion I accidentally put on my son's clothes and he's a very skinny 19 year old!).
    • When you run 100 miles in a week, you can eat whatever the fnck you want!
    • Weight-loss isn't linear. Given two weeks of the same exercise and diet, I reckon you could still lose/gain entirely different amounts of weight (though it defies the laws of physics!)
    Don't mean to come across as a know-it-all (you've been doing this a lot longer (and faster) than me. Just thought I'd share my own recent experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

2lbs this week which is good going

have had bigger sh1tes,,,

Advertisement