Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

In fairness the boy done well this evening. Think he placed 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

In fairness the boy done well this evening. Think he placed 4th.

fab runner :) well done bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Big Logger wrote: »
    what has he got...two arseholes? :D

I'm such a big arsehole the one I have is more than adequate!

Monday: 5 miles @ 7.15 pace. This was supposed to be a recovery run circa 8 minute mile pace. Decided if legs felt OK and if weather was good Tuesday evening I'd chance BHAA 5 mile race so wanted to take it handy. Felt like an absolute jog in the park and was very surprised to see the pace. Legs a little tired and tender but overall in good racing nick so off to Dunboyne I went.

Tuesday: 10 miles total with 5 mile race in 26.12. That time is provisional, as per usual I didn't feature in BHAA results and when I do I never seem to count for company team etc! Will have to try and get that sorted for the future although I think emerald was on the case last night.

Race itself went pretty much to plan. I had a 5 mile PB of 26.45 from 2007. I ran this Dunboyne race 2 years ago and ran 26.50 although was given a time of 26.30 in the results :rolleyes: definite trend emerging.

Anyway did a nice warm up with quirky and pronator and after a few nice strides was ready for the off. My training partner in work is running incredibly well at the moment and was hoping for sub 26 I knew that would be a little too hot for me at the moment so I was hoping for sub 26.30 but ideally sub 26.20. Decided not to wear the watch again and the race was off. First 600 metres were ridiculous, essentially the entire field let the eventual winner take off and we sat back and jogged behind him. He was by far the best runner there on the night but we essentially gave him a 70-80 metre head start. I had a pain in my hole so pushed on with my training buddy and another guy came with us. I was feeling brilliant, legs were motoring nicely.

Around the 2.5 mile mark I started to feel a serious lactic build up in the legs, no problem except this was a 5k burnup feeling I'd obviously overcooked it. I haven't the endurance or threshold sessions done at the moment to hold on at that pace so was in a bit of trouble. By mile 3 I had to take the foot off the gas and hope to hold onto 4th position. Started to clear some of the lactic just after the 4 mile mark and finished strongly enough.

Was banjaxed and delighted with the PB. 2013 is the year I aim to run a PB in 5k,5 miles, 10k, 10 miles, half marathon, marathon (and 4 miles if I can find one). Fast 5 mile races are hard to come by so I was delighted to bag this one.

Went for a nice cool down with quirky, runningking and jimmy saville and his teenage girlfriend. I even had a few biscuits and sandwiches at the impressive post race spread that was laid on. Last time I ran this race I didn't run particularly well and had bad memories, but after listening to everybody rave about it I gave it another shot and I'm glad I did. Fast course, well organised and great spread :)

On the way home in the car the usual inner monologue post race analysis began. The fact I finished 4th (again) was annoying me and I was questioning could have I done more to get third or even get closer to 26 minutes. I honestly don't think I could have and this was reinforced once I got home as I spent an hour in the vicinity of the toilet. I eventually got asleep at midnight only to wake at 1.30 am with incredible bowel cramps that kept me awake until 6am this morning. Managed to get back asleep until 7.30 then thankfully. So I guess I pushed as hard as I could.

Bohermeen 5k is next on the hit list. PB is the goal. The PB king is back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

TRR wrote: »
    Monday: 5 miles @ 7.15 pace. This was supposed to be a recovery run circa 8 minute mile pace. Decided if legs felt OK and if weather was good Tuesday evening I'd chance BHAA 5 mile race so wanted to take it handy. Felt like an absolute jog in the park and was very surprised to see the pace. Legs a little tired and tender but overall in good racing nick so off to Dunboyne I went.

Tuesday: 10 miles total with 5 mile race in 26.12. That time is provisional, as per usual I didn't feature in BHAA results and when I do I never seem to count for company team etc! Will have to try and get that sorted for the future although I think emerald was on the case last night.

Race itself went pretty much to plan. I had a 5 mile PB of 26.45 from 2007. I ran this Dunboyne race 2 years ago and ran 26.50 although was given a time of 26.30 in the results :rolleyes: definite trend emerging.

Anyway did a nice warm up with quirky and pronator and after a few nice strides was ready for the off. My training partner in work is running incredibly well at the moment and was hoping for sub 26 I knew that would be a little too hot for me at the moment so I was hoping for sub 26.30 but ideally sub 26.20. Decided not to wear the watch again and the race was off. First 600 metres were ridiculous, essentially the entire field let the eventual winner take off and we sat back and jogged behind him. He was by far the best runner there on the night but we essentially gave him a 70-80 metre head start. I had a pain in my hole so pushed on with my training buddy and another guy came with us. I was feeling brilliant, legs were motoring nicely.

Around the 2.5 mile mark I started to feel a serious lactic build up in the legs, no problem except this was a 5k burnup feeling I'd obviously overcooked it. I haven't the endurance or threshold sessions done at the moment to hold on at that pace so was in a bit of trouble. By mile 3 I had to take the foot off the gas and hope to hold onto 4th position. Started to clear some of the lactic just after the 4 mile mark and finished strongly enough.

Was banjaxed and delighted with the PB. 2013 is the year I aim to run a PB in 5k,5 miles, 10k, 10 miles, half marathon, marathon (and 4 miles if I can find one). Fast 5 mile races are hard to come by so I was delighted to bag this one.

Went for a nice cool down with quirky, runningking and jimmy saville and his teenage girlfriend. I even had a few biscuits and sandwiches at the impressive post race spread that was laid on. Last time I ran this race I didn't run particularly well and had bad memories, but after listening to everybody rave about it I gave it another shot and I'm glad I did. Fast course, well organised and great spread :)

On the way home in the car the usual inner monologue post race analysis began. The fact I finished 4th (again) was annoying me and I was questioning could have I done more to get third or even get closer to 26 minutes. I honestly don't think I could have and this was reinforced once I got home as I spent an hour in the vicinity of the toilet. I eventually got asleep at midnight only to wake at 1.30 am with incredible bowel cramps that kept me awake until 6am this morning. Managed to get back asleep until 7.30 then thankfully. So I guess I pushed as hard as I could.

Well done on the pb I will take some credit for this in for refusing beers on Sunday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Magic stuff Dave. You ran very well. Getting the rewards you deserve now. 26:12 is also my 5 mile PB.

Keep it up, your flying!

shels4ever wrote: »
    Well done on the pb I will take some credit for this in for refusing beers on Sunday ;)

you did not refuse, you just couldn't make it. There is a subtle difference!
    Pronator wrote: »
    Magic stuff Dave. You ran very well. Getting the rewards you deserve now. 26:12 is also my 5 mile PB.

Keep it up, your flying!

Thanks, if I had of known that was your PB I would have tried to eek out another second ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow, that's a super performance. PBs all but guaranteed, all over the shop this year. Were you far behind 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

In fairness it must be hard to take that the older ex Gaa player Pronator achieved the 26:12 before you. ;)

Though Great running David lad.
    Did you not feel the room move at 4:16:29am this morning? My kids came screaming out of their rooms and the youngest wouldn't go back in this morning
    Pronator wrote: »

Ah Jaysus Fr. Murphy 5 miler, the day you beat Peter M. by a golden second
    I'm definately taking my 26:35 as a PB from that day then:D

Wow, that's a super performance. PBs all but guaranteed, all over the shop this year. Were you far behind 3rd?

Thanks, I was in the end. Probably 8-10 seconds.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    In fairness it must be hard to take that the older ex Gaa player Pronator achieved the 26:12 before you. ;)

Yes, literally gutted. Knew there was a reason for that abdominal pain :)
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Did you not feel the room move at 4:16:29am this morning? My kids came screaming out of their rooms and the youngest wouldn't go back in this morning

Ah Jaysus Fr. Murphy 5 miler, the day you beat Peter M. by a golden second
    I'm definately taking my 26:35 as a PB from that day thenbiggrin.png

Didn't feel anything myself. Heard that Fr Murphy's course was 300 metres short ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Didn't feel anything myself. Heard that Fr Murphy's course was 300 metres short ;)

That would have made it 5.17 miles then:).

I should have mentioned Pronator was a GAA star

Wednesday:
    am 5.5 easy recovery miles ~7.35 pace. Legs actually feeling ok, just a little tired.
    pm 4.5 miles with youngest in the buggy ~8 minute miles. Had planned on doing a little slower but she got restless when the pace dropped off so had to go a little faster than planned. Highlight of the evening was overtaking 4 of the lads who rent a house down the road from me who were out for a jog. Was also singing twinkle twinkle little star at the time to add insult to injury :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The set of {1st, 2nd, 3rd}= winners, that's why they give them special medals.

The set of {4th, 5th,..., four lads who rent the house down the way out for a jog}= goody bags.

These are your kin TRR, don't diss them by singing as you run past!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The set of {1st, 2nd, 3rd}= winners, that's why they give them special medals.

The set of {4th, 5th,..., four lads who rent the house down the way out for a jog}= goody bags.

These are your kin TRR, don't diss them by singing as you run past!

The set of {grumpy old ex runners who now like to splash in a pool and go for handy jaunts on their 5000 euro bikes} = spandex loving wimps

These are your kin Kurt, don't diss them because nobody else can tolerate you lot :)

Thursday: 9+ miles @ 6.56 pace. What an amazing day for a run. A little tired and hungry so wasn't relishing this if I'm honest and decided on 6 miles while walking to get changed. A mile or 2 in and decided to try push it out a little. Long run tomorrow :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

great run Tuesday night,well done. Took me a while to remember what PB stands for but its all coming back to me now. Keep her lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Toilet emergencies aside, I think your inner monologue voice has a point. I was looking at the results and thinking you had the besting of the two boys in front of you, the 3rd lad for sure. But I do know its easy for me to say that from where Im sitting. Although I think in the next race you do you'll be aware of such things and that in itself would be the difference.

tunguska wrote: »
    Toilet emergencies aside, I think your inner monologue voice has a point. I was looking at the results and thinking you had the besting of the two boys in front of you, the 3rd lad for sure. But I do know its easy for me to say that from where Im sitting. Although I think in the next race you do you'll be aware of such things and that in itself would be the difference.

I think on any day I'd have a chance of finishing ahead of those lads but the flip to that is they'd have a chance of beating me too. I can honestly say I couldn't have run any harder and I probably ran a bit faster than my current training and state of fitness deserves. I didn't go into the gorey details but I literally tore the guts out of myself in that race :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I think on any day I'd have a chance of finishing ahead of those lads but the flip to that is they'd have a chance of beating me too. I can honestly say I couldn't have run any harder and I probably ran a bit faster than my current training and state of fitness deserves. I didn't go into the gorey details but I literally tore the guts out of myself in that race :o

Sorry man I dont mean to give you a hard time. I think due to my layoff Im living vicariously through you and paddy at the moment.

tunguska wrote: »
    Sorry man I dont mean to give you a hard time. I think due to my layoff Im living vicariously through you and paddy at the moment.

ha ha fire away, that's why I post my ramblings. If I didn't want other peoples views or input I'd be happy enough to keep my thoughts in my training diary at home. A public training log that doesn't accept other's opinions or advice is basically an exercise in self congratulation! Although I like to do a bit of that as well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

ha ha fire away, that's why I post my ramblings. If I didn't want other peoples views or input I'd be happy enough to keep my thoughts in my training diary at home. A public training log that doesn't accept other's opinions or advice is basically an exercise in self congratulation! Although I like to do a bit of that as well ;)

You just keep doing what I'm telling you and you'll be fine ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You just keep doing what I'm telling you and you'll be fine ;)

What you keep telling me what to do has nothing to do with running in athletics terms, but everything to do with running in the context of chasing the young yans :)

Friday: 16 miles @ 7.16 Delighted to bank this one. Weekends and long weekend in particular can be difficult when trying to fit my long in so moved work around a bit and hit the park with drquirky this morning. Plan was for 7.15 pace, we did first 8-9 on grass trail and remainder on the roads. Brought a couple of gels with me as I was determined to get the full distance in for this one. Recently I've been quite hungry while running and didn't want to have to cut the run short. Just took the one gel in the end, one of those isogels, won't be using those again. Too bulky to carry and actually prefer the hypertonic(?) gels.

Saturday: 9 miles @ 6.53. Really nice run this morning. Legs felt good after yesterday's long run and I was actively trying to keep a lid on the pace. Ended up being faster than I had planned but felt very easy and controlled.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 6.40 pace. Another super run with zero effort. Racing and training going really well at the moment. Not following a strict plan and making it up as I go along. Had initially hoped to be hitting certain sessions etc but the way things are going I'm afraid to tamper with my approach. The only thing I'm keeping an eye on is my long run. Long run is king for a distance runner. I'm really enjoying training and the race results speak for themselves. Another decent week, close enough to 70 miles a decent 16 long run and a 5 mile PB of over 30 seconds. I'll take that and keep em coming please :)

Monday: handy 5 mile run in the morning @ 7.10 pace. Was hoping to get out for another 5 this evening but mrs TRR is missing in action in the city centre after the mini marathon. Last update quoted 3 euro cocktails so I don't think I'll be getting out this evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Monday: handy 5 mile run in the morning @ 7.10 pace. Was hoping to get out for another 5 this evening but mrs TRR is missing in action in the city centre after the mini marathon. Last update quoted 3 euro cocktails so I don't think I'll be getting out this evening :)

CL was paying 6 euro a beer in the bailey :rolleyes:

menoscemo wrote: »
    CL was paying 6 euro a beer in the bailey rolleyes.png

That's why she has a rich sugar daddy biggrin.png
    Monday: handy 5 mile run in the morning @ 7.10 pace. Was hoping to get out for another 5 this evening but mrs TRR is missing in action in the city centre after the mini marathon. Last update quoted 3 euro cocktails so I don't think I'll be getting out this evening smile.png

Her ears must have been burning Mrs TRR pulled up in a taxi 5 minutes after I posted and I was out the door 5 minutes later myself for a carbon copy of my morning run distance and pace wise :)

Monday: pm 5 miles @ 7.10 pace

Tuesday: 10 miles @ 6.58 pace. Unbelievable day weather wise. Was so warm. I lashed a load of sunblock on but think I may have burnt a little bit all the same. Wasn't completely enthused about this one starting out and would have preferred splitting it into a morning and evening run as I was a little jaded, up nice and early with little miss TRR, but I've a longish run planned for tomorrow so didn't want to run this evening. I'll get tomorrow out of the way and then get myself right for Bohermeen Saturday night! Saturday night fever indeed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

. I'll get tomorrow out of the way and then get myself right for Bohermeen Saturday night! Saturday night fever indeed ;)
    I thought Bohermeen was Friday? Was thinking of giving it a whirl.
    It seems I was wrong..

Advertisement