Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I thought Bohermeen was Friday? Was thinking of giving it a whirl.
    It seems I was wrong..

No definitely Saturday. Does that mean you can't do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    No definitely Saturday. Does that mean you can't do it?
    No, it means I can't go drinking on Friday. :D
    Where the fnck is Bohermeen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

I got lost three times when going to the half marathon last year. Worth it when you eventually find it - very welcoming club.

Peckham wrote: »
    I got lost three times when going to the half marathon last year. Worth it when you eventually find it - very welcoming club.

I have the worst sense of direction in Leinster and still managed to find it back in march when I paced the half so you'll be fine. Peckham, you're in trouble if I can find a location and you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have the worst sense of direction in Leinster and still managed to find it back in march when I paced the half

We won't mention your arrival time :pac:

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    We won't mention your arrival time :pac:

That was timed to perfection :)

Wednesday: 16 miles @ 7.25. Ran this with drquirky in the scorching heat :) First few miles were quite slow but after 6 or so we sped up a bit. Was pretty tough the last couple of miles. Attacked by another poxy dog on the canal today, the little bastards seem to have it in for me.

My manorexia continues with a new all time low on the scales this morning which is a miracle after the weekend I had eating and drinking wise! Legs quite tired now but I'm all about recovery runs from now until PB city (a.k.a Bohermeen :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Was going to say that to you on Sunday that your one skinny fecker now. Pass some of the manorexia this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

My manorexia continues with a new all time low on the scales this morning which is a miracle after the weekend I had eating and drinking wise! Legs quite tired now but I'm all about recovery runs from now until PB city (a.k.a Bohermeen :))

What do you weigh right now? We could make this into a carnival act.....You're 6ft 1" (I think) so my guess is 72.5kg(160lbs or 11st 4lbs)

tunguska wrote: »
    What do you weigh right now? We could make this into a carnival act.....You're 6ft 1" (I think) so my guess is 72.5kg(160lbs or 11st 4lbs)

ha ha, back when I was in college I worked in the states on a J1 for a summer. One of the lads who was living in my apartment did this as a job, he was really good at guessing.

Nope about 9lbs heavier. The goal is to shed 6 of those before DCM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

seriously would not have thought you'd have that too loose.

What are you basing your ideal race weight on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What are you basing your ideal race weight on??

Lena Zavaroni :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Lena Zavaroni :eek:
    I'm always afraid to google your posts in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Jasus im heavier,time to get the finger out.Looking forward to seeing what time you run in Bohermeen.

When you going to knock out a 10k?

When you going to knock out a 10k?

Nothing planned yet. Was originally going to do Dunsaughlin but I have a work conference that week and routine training wise and eating wise will be all over the place so not going to bother. Maybe the Fingal 10k? I'm just making it up as I go along with no racing plan as such :)

Thursday: am 5.5 miles @ 6.54 pace. Lovely run along the canal and some trails. Really enjoyable in the warm sun. Would have loved to do more but today was supposed to be recovery so knocked it on the head. Very surprised at the pace as it felt like an absolute canter.

pm 6.5 miles @ 7.02 pace: hit the local park for a run on grass for this. Same as this morning was itching to do more and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't keep the pace down.

Legs feeling brilliant at the moment and fitness has definitely taken a jump over the last week. Generally I hit plateaus for a few weeks and then normally see big jumps over a short period. I really think that 5 mile race last week helped me move up a level. It literally tore the guts out of me. A similar effort plus the way the body is feeling at the moment means I think I'm on course to take a significant chunk out of my last 5km time. Really looking forward to Saturday's race now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Godspeed tomorrow, make up for missing Na Fianna ;). I'm sure those violent thoughts will build nicely so you'll be like Mount Vesuvius ready to blow by the evening!

blockic wrote: »
    Godspeed tomorrow, make up for missing Na Fianna ;). I'm sure those violent thoughts will build nicely so you'll be like Mount Vesuvius ready to blow by the evening!

Another one for Digger.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Another one for Digger.........:D

:D... he is slacking today..not picking up the bait at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And you're normally a master baiter ;)

Give him a break. He was down doing a recce of the Wesley disco for when the junior cert finishes.

• Advertisement

Friday: 5 miles with strides @ 7.02 pace. Just an easy evening run to shake the legs out before the 5k race on Saturday. Feeling a bit sluggish at first if I'm honest. "Recovery" runs the day before should definitely have been slower. Legs feeling good though so no excuses heading into the race.

Saturday: 9 miles with 5km (PB) in 15.45* I did some rummaging around and my 5k PB from 2007 is actually 15.47. Precision have me down as 15.47 last night but I was easily 15.45 so I'm taking this as a cheeky PB :)

Did a 5k warm up on the course, still feeling a little sluggish. Didn't have the spring I had in the Lucan 5k but I was feeling OK. Cracking evening and the course seemed decent enough to me so no excuses.

Plan going into the race was to go out hard with the leaders and try and hang on as long as I could. This ploy has worked recently but in hindsight the leaders in those race were 15.20-30 guys. The two leaders last night were David McCarthy and Colin Costello so heading off with them was a really bad idea. Those guys are leagues ahead of me and I would have been better off working off somebody else.

I didn't wear the watch but I ran with a lad for the first 3k or so and he said the first km was 2.55 :o Way too fast for me, especially considering I've done no speed/track sessions so I was drowning in lactic way too early. From there on I was in bits, managed to hold it together to about 3k and then started to fall off the chap I was running with. To make matters worse Mick Traynor from Raheny caught us and dragged a young lad along with him they passed me too. I was raging as if I had of had any sense I should have paced off Mick and tried to push on later in the race just as the young lad did to dip under 15.40. Anyway had an awful 3-4k and the possibility of the pack behind me catching up was very real as I just couldn't keep any sort of tempo going again.

Luckily a bit of lactic cleared and I realised I was only 30-40 metres behind a lad that had recently ran 15.2X so I knew a time was still there. Was delighted to overtake Mick near the finish and finished just ahead of him. The man is a legend, he's 48 (I think) and is such an animal. I was pumped that I was able to rally and get ahead of him as it showed a bit of fight in me.

Today I'm happy enough with my time but I was targeting 15.3X and as I said above better pacing and I would have got it. Was pissed immediately after the race but I'm over it now. 6th time going sub 16 for 5k. 4th time this year and a PB to boot. Don't know if I mentioned it before but myself and my training partner were commenting back in January that our days of sub 16 were over, seems we were wrong :) Oh yeah he managed 15.59 last night after a 2.35 marathon on Monday. Animal.com

Was talking to two lads who finished ahead of me in DCM last year. Apparently they read this log but don't post themselves. I may have to start going ninja in the coming months. Sneaky bastards ;):D

Great to get a PB, even when you reckon you made an arse of it. St Cocas 5k on 28th June might be worth another shot? Pretty flat course, with just a bridge or two over the M4. Probably best not to discuss race plans, with all those sneaky lurkers around. ;)

Are you still up for those 12x1 mile @4:55/mile off of 60 seconds active recovery, on Thursday?

The word 'savage' is used a lot on boards, but that pace is 'savage'.

Great to get a PB, even when you reckon you made an arse of it. St Cocas 5k on 28th June might be worth another shot? Pretty flat course, with just a bridge or two over the M4. Probably best not to discuss race plans, with all those sneaky lurkers around. ;)

hmmmmm was going to put the 5ks to bed but maybe one last hurrah to get into the 15.30s. 90% I'm going to do this now :)

Are you still up for those 12x1 mile @4:55/mile off of 60 seconds active recovery, on Thursday?

yeah except I think the recoveries are a bit too long 30 seconds should more or less do it :)

I thought you were running yourself last night, was keeping an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great run last night, I'm guessing this is you. I was taking photos with 400m to go, think you were just getting past the guy from Raheny.

I thought you were running yourself last night, was keeping an eye out for you.
    I tried my best, but suffered a case of brain failure and after driving around Finglas for a while, cut my losses and headed home.
    pconn062 wrote:
    Great run last night, I'm guessing this is you. I was taking photos with 400m to go, think you were just getting past the guy from Raheny.
    I see you caught another Boards poster lurking in the background, though he seems to have swapped bike and wetsuit for Hilfiger and sandals. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I see you caught another Boards poster lurking in the background, though he seems to have swapped bike and wetsuit for Hilfiger and sandals. :)

I had to zoom right in to spot him there ;)

Jesus TRR, looking very gaunt in the jaws there. I hope you had a good few of the burgers on offer after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I tried my best, but suffered a case of brain failure and after driving around Finglas for a while, cut my losses and headed home.

Oh Jeez, you'll have to help me out here, I know boardsies by the usernames unfortunately, not their faces!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Oh Jeez, you'll have to help me out here, I know boardsies by the usernames unfortunately, not their faces!
    That's Jackyback in the sandals on the right. Mostly he frequents the triathlon forum, but sometimes he dabbles in the real stuff. ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I had to zoom right in to spot him there ;)

Jesus TRR, looking very gaunt in the jaws there. I hope you had a good few of the burgers on offer after the race.

No burgers for me :mad: There was a big queue and I dropped a heavy hint to the golden couple that I'd like a burger when I came back from my cool down but the lazy gits didn't oblige. I hand't the patience to queue myself. I had plenty of cake though :)

Advertisement