Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

TRR wrote: »
    Friday: 5 miles with strides @ 7.02 pace. Just an easy evening run to shake the legs out before the 5k race on Saturday. Feeling a bit sluggish at first if I'm honest. "Recovery" runs the day before should definitely have been slower. Legs feeling good though so no excuses heading into the race.

Saturday: 9 miles with 5km (PB) in 15.45* I did some rummaging around and my 5k PB from 2007 is actually 15.47. Precision have me down as 15.47 last night but I was easily 15.45 so I'm taking this as a cheeky PB :)

Did a 5k warm up on the course, still feeling a little sluggish. Didn't have the spring I had in the Lucan 5k but I was feeling OK. Cracking evening and the course seemed decent enough to me so no excuses.

Plan going into the race was to go out hard with the leaders and try and hang on as long as I could. This ploy has worked recently but in hindsight the leaders in those race were 15.20-30 guys. The two leaders last night were David McCarthy and Colin Costello so heading off with them was a really bad idea. Those guys are leagues ahead of me and I would have been better off working off somebody else.

I didn't wear the watch but I ran with a lad for the first 3k or so and he said the first km was 2.55 :o Way too fast for me, especially considering I've done no speed/track sessions so I was drowning in lactic way too early. From there on I was in bits, managed to hold it together to about 3k and then started to fall off the chap I was running with. To make matters worse Mick Traynor from Raheny caught us and dragged a young lad along with him they passed me too. I was raging as if I had of had any sense I should have paced off Mick and tried to push on later in the race just as the young lad did to dip under 15.40. Anyway had an awful 3-4k and the possibility of the pack behind me catching up was very real as I just couldn't keep any sort of tempo going again.

Luckily a bit of lactic cleared and I realised I was only 30-40 metres behind a lad that had recently ran 15.2X so I knew a time was still there. Was delighted to overtake Mick near the finish and finished just ahead of him. The man is a legend, he's 48 (I think) and is such an animal. I was pumped that I was able to rally and get ahead of him as it showed a bit of fight in me.

Today I'm happy enough with my time but I was targeting 15.3X and as I said above better pacing and I would have got it. Was pissed immediately after the race but I'm over it now. 6th time going sub 16 for 5k. 4th time this year and a PB to boot. Don't know if I mentioned it before but myself and my training partner were commenting back in January that our days of sub 16 were over, seems we were wrong :) Oh yeah he managed 15.59 last night after a 2.35 marathon on Monday. Animal.com

Was talking to two lads who finished ahead of me in DCM last year. Apparently they read this log but don't post themselves. I may have to start going ninja in the coming months. Sneaky bastards ;):D
    Just started ready your log..thats some running! You seem to be in good shape keep it up :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No burgers for me :mad: There was a big queue and I dropped a heavy hint to the golden couple that I'd like a burger when I came back from my cool down but the lazy gits didn't oblige. I hand't the patience to queue myself. I had plenty of cake though :)

The trick is to walk up and down the queue every few minutes until someone you know gets near the top. :cool:

Savage running TRR, not bad for your age. Was there a sneaky hill or drag on 3 - 4k? A few people have mentioned going a bit off there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Savage running TRR, not bad for your age. Was there a sneaky hill or drag on 3 - 4k? A few people have mentioned going a bit off there.

you cheeky pup :) A hill would be an over exaggeration but there was a slight drag to make up for the overall downhill of the first 1.5km or so. If you were motoring well you probably wouldn't have noticed it but overcooking the first 2k probably made it a bit of an issue. Overall I didn't think that course was as fast as many people had said it was. I think it was very fair and fast enough but not lightening quick, having said that was definitely ~10 seconds quicker than Lucan in my opinion yet I only ran a second or two quicker which goes to show I blew it early on.

Sunday: am 8 miles @ 6.54. Lovely run this morning. Had an hour free so options were go back to bed, this was my preferred option as I was up cavorting and drinking into the early hours of the morning, or go for a run. Got a text from one of my partners in crime to say she had done 12 miles so that guilted me out the door. Really enjoyable run and legs feeling great. No ill effects from the race.

pm: 4+ miles @ 8 minute mile pace with little miss TRR in the running buggy. Super evening for it although the second 2 miles were very slightly uphill and I was definitely working harder but still very comfortable. Nice recovery run.

Another solid week. 74 miles, decent longish run and a 5k PB :). This coming week is all about two things.

1: Log a good few miles, similar to this week if possible.
    2: Set a beer mile world record for a man dressed as a pirate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

you cheeky pup :) A hill would be an over exaggeration but there was a slight drag to make up for the overall downhill of the first 1.5km or so. If you were motoring well you probably wouldn't have noticed it but overcooking the first 2k probably made it a bit of an issue. Overall I didn't think that course was as fast as many people had said it was. I think it was very fair and fast enough but not lightening quick, having said that was definitely ~10 seconds quicker than Lucan in my opinion yet I only ran a second or two quicker which goes to show I blew it early on.

Sunday: am 8 miles @ 6.54. Lovely run this morning. Had an hour free so options were go back to bed, this was my preferred option as I was up cavorting and drinking into the early hours of the morning, or go for a run. Got a text from one of my partners in crime to say she had done 12 miles so that guilted me out the door. Really enjoyable run and legs feeling great. No ill effects from the race.

pm: 4+ miles @ 8 minute mile pace with little miss TRR in the running buggy. Super evening for it although the second 2 miles were very slightly uphill and I was definitely working harder but still very comfortable. Nice recovery run.

Another solid week. 74 miles, decent longish run and a 5k PB :). This coming week is all about two things.

1: Log a good few miles, similar to this week if possible.
    2: Set a beer mile world record for a man dressed as a pirate.

Are u definitely going fancy dress? Considering it myself.
    Sister Concepta might be making an appearance.

Are u definitely going fancy dress? Considering it myself.
    Sister Concepta might be making an appearance.

Legend. Yes definitely, had the mrs in the attic today looking for my costume. I actually ordered a mankini online a couple of weeks back but it is so inappropriate I've decided to go with the safe option. Think about it you will be a world record holder if you dress up as a nun. Make sure you get the required 335 ml bottles. Corona extra are your only man as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I see you caught another Boards poster lurking in the background, though he seems to have swapped bike and wetsuit for Hilfiger and sandals. :)

And a handsome one at that. I think i was shouting something along the lines of "Run Dave, 6th & 7th there for the taking....there was no response":)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I had to zoom right in to spot him there ;)

That photo disproves that i am 5ft nothing and in fact 5ft 7 and a half, that half is important!!

Great race TRR, you looked to be in exceptional pain at 400mtrs to go, about right for a 5k finish. Super running and you are looking very lean!!

And a handsome one at that. I think i was shouting something along the lines of "Run Dave, 6th & 7th there for the taking....there was no response":)

Thanks for the shout out, my eyes were in the back of my head so a response was definitely out of the question.
    That photo disproves that i am 5ft nothing and in fact 5ft 7 and a half, that half is important!!

Talking to you beforehand I was going to remark how you were quite tall for a hobbit :)

Monday: am 8 handy miles roughly 7.15 pace, didn't wear a watch. Legs feeling grand. A tiny bit tender so instead of doing my planned 10-12 miles I stopped at 8 and headed out for an evening recovery run instead. pm 4 miles @ 7.30 pace on grass in the local park. Legs felt the benefit of the grass and in hindsight was a wise decision to split this into a double day. After my run I set up a beer mile for shels. Was very funny you should read his report in the beer mile thread if you haven't already :)

Tuesday: 10 miles @ 7.08 pace. Nice handy run this morning on the roads. Nothing major to report. Had company and the topic of conversation was DCM, DCM and some more DCM!!

Wednesday: 16 miles @ 7.09 pace. For some unknown reason this was tough. Physically I felt fine, little bit of fatigue in the quads but the legs felt good. Mentally I wanted this in the bag as I consider my long run, regardless of pace as my most important run of the week. But even with all those positives I wanted to cut this short. I was a little hungry all right and maybe the race to get back to my lunch was in the back of my mind. I don't know, a strange one all right but it's in the bag now so yee ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Wednesday: 16 miles @ 7.09 pace. For some unknown reason this was tough. Physically I felt fine, little bit of fatigue in the quads but the legs felt good. Mentally I wanted this in the bag as I consider my long run, regardless of pace as my most important run of the week. But even with all those positives I wanted to cut this short. I was a little hungry all right and maybe the race to get back to my lunch was in the back of my mind. I don't know, a strange one all right but it's in the bag now so yee ha.
    Maybe the beers you have been drinking every night ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Maybe the beers you have been drinking every night ;)

yes, this fooking beer mile is messing me up. Had my weekly manorexia weigh in this morning as well and no change on the scales so they aren't helping there either!

• Advertisement

Thursday: 8 miles @ 7 minute mile pace. Had company ran mostly on the canal felt really good. Plan was for more but was stuck for time.

Friday: Early 10.5 miles with company again. Ran along the canal and the 5k route in Kilcock. Will be giving that a lash in 2 weeks times. Seems like a fast course. One drag around 3k but you get it back for a fast finish. Run today felt good. Beer mile later this evening. Should be a bit of craic.

Saturday: 7 miles @ 6.56 pace. Handy run to pick up my car. Was a little tender after the shenanigans of the beer mile the night before. Was great craic and had a great evening in the pub afterwards with a great group of guys and gals.

Sunday: 8 miles @ 6.40 pace. Breakdown in communications at home, had planned a low key race as a bit of a session but wires got crossed and could just about squeeze this run in. Happy enough with it as I moving along without much effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

had planned a low key race
    both were won by two dudes from donore,,,,,right up ur street though 3.43miles;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Well done on your beer mile win. You were a generous victor, and very free with the autographs. It's a pity you hate so many slower runners; these are a potential fanbase, a pool from which you could indulge your nipple kissing fetish. Some of the pool may even be female; nothing is worse than removing a hairy mans chest hair from your teeth the morning after.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Well done on your beer mile win. You were a generous victor, and very free with the autographs.

:eek: What???? he charged me €10 for mine :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done on your beer mile win. You were a generous victor, and very free with the autographs. It's a pity you hate so many slower runners; these are a potential fanbase, a pool from which you could indulge your nipple kissing fetish. Some of the pool may even be female; nothing is worse than removing a hairy mans chest hair from your teeth the morning after.;)
    Thank I had forgotten about that nipple kissing... Now it's engraved on my brain ...

Tuesday: ~18 miles @ 7.05 pace. This week is a little bit all over the place in work and I don't know if I'll get out Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. With that in mind I rearranged today and got out for a long one with drquirky in the phoenix park. Was quite warm and found it a little tough in places. Was tired starting out so that didn't help. Still sweating the beer out from Friday night :o

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. This was epic.com. Up to my nose in work as organising a conference. Basically, didn't think I'd get out due to arrangements and wining/dining speakers. Turns out one of the speakers is a handy runner and was looking for a running route so it would have been rude not to oblige. This was mostly off road on trails and lots and lots of rolling hills. Was actually just hanging on in places but from mile 6 onwards I gained a bit of revenge ;). No run today and possibly not tomorrow but I can live with that, Wednesday total Brucey-bonus run.

Friday: 9 miles @ 6.38 pace. One day off running and the legs felt amazing, total cruise. Brucey-bonus run again today so delighted to get this in. Well I was delighted until I hit my head off a low lying traffic sign as I was looking at my splits. Got me right on the top of my head and managed to nip an artery, the elevated heart rate from finishing the run quick meant there was an amazing amount of very well oxygenated bright red blood splurting from my head. Lads in gym reception thought I'd been shot in the head when they caught sight of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Photos, or it didn't happen!
    Hope you're ok. Stitches?

• Advertisement

Photos, or it didn't happen!
    Hope you're ok. Stitches?

I was actually going to ask one of the lads to take a pic but thought better of it. Yeah it's grand, tiny shallow cut but lots and lots of blood, no stitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I was actually going to ask one of the lads to take a pic but thought better of it. Yeah it's grand, tiny shallow cut but lots and lots of blood, no stitches

While part of me felt bad 'thanking' this post, the other part of me was laughing my head off, thinking of TRR cartoon, although, I don't think they even thought of using a Low lying traffic signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

perhaps Karma for bullying on boards :rolleyes:

Big Logger wrote: »

Bite me!

Saturday: 10k in 35mins 25 seconds. Plan was to hit a park run as a blow out but amazingly kids slept it in this morning so I missed it. Plan B was to run Dunsaughlin but having missed 3 bedtimes this week already I thought it would be bad form if I went missing again so I compromised by running a hard tempo this evening. Was heading the the 'rents for dinner so ran there, is just over 10k door to door. Started off at 6.05 pace and brought each mile down by ~10 seconds. Felt really good and strong, was into a bastard of a head wind most of the way also. Nice little run.

Bite me!

You're such a hater, you're only saying that because you know he'd have to catch you first. Someone needs to give you a good smack for manners, I'd do it myself if it wasn't for all these "Paid to enter a race" medals weighing me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

You're such a hater, you're only saying that because you know he'd have to catch you first. Someone needs to give you a good smack for manners, I'd do it myself if it wasn't for all these "Paid to enter a race" medals weighing me down.

the only thing weighing you down is your kinky long socks ;) rarrrr

the only thing weighing you down is your kinky long socks ;) rarrrr

Granted, I am a sexy ba$tard all right, but lets not get carried away, there's a fair amount of lard weighing me down as well. Not to worry, I've petitioned AI for a Clydesdale category, us fatties deserve medals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Bite me!

That's just the Karma from the novices. Wait till the Karma from the pacers hits :D

• Advertisement

Expand giving specific examples the athlete formerly known as rasher_m
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    That's just the Karma from the novices. Wait till the Karma from the pacers hits :D
    I know you're ripping the piss pistol but ...........

I did the novices a favour. I spotted an inconsistency, raised an issue and in the longterm they will benefit. My sister is now one of the novices so I'm happy I sorted things in the way I did. Read through specific training logs here and I think everything I was concerned has played out and I have been justified!

Regards the pacers, if you really really want to run with a certain time in the Dublin marathon enter the thing yourself. Don't be whining that you don't get the spot you want. I've paced a number of times myself and feel the majority of pacers do it for selfish reasons. This giving back to the community crap doesn't fly with me. I couldn't give a ****e about a group of people I don't know. I've paced friends unofficially but I don't care if Biddy from Tullamore run 1.30 or 2 hrs. I paced Dublin once before as a recce for myself and also the Dublin half but just to get the Dublin gig. I'm not into the high fives and shoulders at the finish and if the truth be known, marathon pacers for non-elites like ourselves are like sports psychologists. You're ****ed if you need one!

Advertisement