Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

TRR wrote: »
    Expand giving specific examples the athlete formerly known as rasher_m

I know you're ripping the piss pistol but ...........

I did the novices a favour. I spotted an inconsistency, raised an issue and in the longterm they will benefit. My sister is now one of the novices so I'm happy I sorted things in the way I did. Read through specific training logs here and I think everything I was concerned has played out and I have been justified!

!

Reading over the Novice thread, all it is really is a bit of a chat between novices, there was nothing to gain really. Everyone whos run a marathon jumps onto that thread and gives a piece of advice as they see fit. It was never going to happen that PM would give all this horse **** advice and get away with it. It is boards after all and theres plenty of people like yourself who'd be watching for 'inconsistencies'.
    As for the novices themselves, the ones moaning seem to have their own plans anyway and seem to be telling the others how to run :rolleyes:

It would've been better to be looking after the novices from the graduates thread who were really experiencing the real problems of over training etc.

Doopdy doo....

Everyones an athlete in Gods eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Big Logger wrote: »
    Everyones an athlete in Gods eyes :D

Someone have too many mojitos last night??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I know you're ripping the piss pistol but ...........

I did the novices a favour. I spotted an inconsistency, raised an issue and in the longterm they will benefit. My sister is now one of the novices so I'm happy I sorted things in the way I did. Read through specific training logs here and I think everything I was concerned has played out and I have been justified!

Regards the pacers, if you really really want to run with a certain time in the Dublin marathon enter the thing yourself. Don't be whining that you don't get the spot you want. I've paced a number of times myself and feel the majority of pacers do it for selfish reasons. This giving back to the community crap doesn't fly with me. I couldn't give a ****e about a group of people I don't know. I've paced friends unofficially but I don't care if Biddy from Tullamore run 1.30 or 2 hrs. I paced Dublin once before as a recce for myself and also the Dublin half but just to get the Dublin gig. I'm not into the high fives and shoulders at the finish and if the truth be known, marathon pacers for non-elites like ourselves are like sports psychologists. You're ****ed if you need one!

Yes of course tongue was firmly in cheek with my comments. I agree with you 100% on the novices thread. It had descended into a farce.

I'm doing Berlin so I offered to pace Dublin and was thrilled to be accepted. Never paced before so thought I'd give it a bash. I was not one of the what seems to be a few to be wrecking Kurts head. Like you say I don't see the obsession with running with pacers and people adjusting their goal time up or down by 15 mins so they could follow a balloon. Just run your own race FFS.

These are things though we all find out over time and mostly from bad experiences ourselves, in my case anyway. Keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Sunday: 10 miles @ 6.50 pace. Nice little run, delighted to get this and dusted before we went swimming with the kids. Half on road half on grass. Bastard of a wind out there again but thankfully had it at my back for the last 2-3 miles.

Solid enough week all things considered ~65 miles and that is on the back on 3 * 70 mile weeks. Will be closer to 80 next week as I'm running 26.2 miles in Waterord next Saturday @ 7.04 pace or quicker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'm running 26.2 miles in Waterord next Saturday @ 7.04 pace or quicker ;)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8_ZFGu5t-Mw/UccIatHkAmI/AAAAAAAAA5g/Vq0EBR_RiO8/s800/Screen%20shot%202013-06-23%20at%2015.37.27.png" height="287" width="335"[/IMG]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have I missed something good in the novices thread?

Have I missed something good in the novices thread?

not since I stopped posting ;)

. Will be closer to 80 next week as I'm running 26.2 miles in Waterord next Saturday @ 7.04 pace or quicker ;)

Are you staying around Saturday night??

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you staying around Saturday night??

No flying visit. Will be literally leaving the minute I finish. Why? Planning on getting a mob to kick the **** out of me ;)

• Advertisement

No flying visit. Will be literally leaving the minute I finish. Why? Planning on getting a mob to kick the **** out of me ;)

Haha, I was on your side, sort of!

Haha, I was on your side, sort of!

Thats cause youre a big lick

Big Logger wrote: »
    Thats cause youre a big lick

I have a big WHAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

lol @ "big lick". Haven't heard that slagging since I was about 8.

statss wrote: »
    lol @ "big lick". Haven't heard that slagging since I was about 8.

Ooohhh, she said I'm a big lick... Phew!

I have a big WHAT?

Big mutton head lol

Monday: am 10 miles @ 7.01 pace. Really nice run, wasn't in the mood for this but once we got going it flew by. Had company and it really helped. pm 4 miles @ 7.40 pace with the running buggy. Handy run with little miss TRR. Nice evening and legs feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Regards the pacers, if you really really want to run with a certain time in the Dublin marathon enter the thing yourself. Don't be whining that you don't get the spot you want. I've paced a number of times myself and feel the majority of pacers do it for selfish reasons. This giving back to the community crap doesn't fly with me. I couldn't give a ****e about a group of people I don't know. I've paced friends unofficially but I don't care if Biddy from Tullamore run 1.30 or 2 hrs. I paced Dublin once before as a recce for myself and also the Dublin half but just to get the Dublin gig. I'm not into the high fives and shoulders at the finish and if the truth be known, marathon pacers for non-elites like ourselves are like sports psychologists. You're ****ed if you need one!

Thats it take the gloves off man. You're right of course. On the few occasions that I've considered pacing races I've had to ask myself what the real reasons I would do such a thing were and the answers werent so honourable. Its all about ego and getting that beast fed bythe admiration of slower runners who'll think youre great at the finish line. Best to focus on your own training and racing and leave people to pace themselves. Also good to train with people who are faster than you are which will keep the ego firmly in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats it take the gloves off man. You're right of course. On the few occasions that I've considered pacing races I've had to ask myself what the real reasons I would do such a thing were and the answers werent so honourable. Its all about ego and getting that beast fed bythe admiration of slower runners who'll think youre great at the finish line. Best to focus on your own training and racing and leave people to pace themselves. Also good to train with people who are faster than you are which will keep the ego firmly in check.
    There's an element of truth to what you both have to say, but is there anything necessarily wrong about doing it for self-serving reasons? Running is after all a pretty self-serving sport. Let's say for example that I'm planning on running a marathon as a build-up race for Dublin. I can go and spend €40-€50 and intentionally run a sub-optimal time, do my best to show some restraint and get a good training session. Or else, I can get paid €40-€50, guarantee that I will stick to my chosen pace, and get a few cheeky high-fives at the finish? Win-win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There's an element of truth to what you both have to say, but is there anything necessarily wrong about doing it for self-serving reasons? Running is after all a pretty self-serving sport. Let's say for example that I'm planning on running a marathon as a build-up race for Dublin. I can go and spend €40-€50 and intentionally run a sub-optimal time, do my best to show some restraint and get a good training session. Or else, I can get paid €40-€50, guarantee that I will stick to my chosen pace, and get a few cheeky high-fives at the finish? Win-win. :)

+1, pacing the halfs recently for me has been mostly an act of self discipline. If I hadn't been pacing I probably wouldn't have done a long run; and if I did certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it.
    Pacing is definitely 90% selfish in that you wouldn't do it if you didn't enjoy it, and you most definiely wouldn't do it if it didn't fit your schedule. I'll be pacing Dublin this year, simply becuase it comes between training blocks and it is still great to 'do' Dublin and be involved in the race and the pre/post race celebrations :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ok taking that example of running a marathon as a prep for Dublin. If you're pacing, the best you're gonna be pacing at would be 3:00, which is about 6:50/mile. You're constrained by the job you've signed up to do in that you're not gonna be able to run a good portion of it at Marathon pace, say 15 - 20miles. So then what would be the point of running 6:50s when your MP would be 5:50 or thereabouts? You could run a training session with some other lads and do that job for nothing, without having to spend 40-50 quid signing up for a race. I just dont see that there'd be any reasons other than ego that would be at play here and when thats the case I think its not such a good thing. Plus aswell I think people need to be independent in races so that they're not reliant on somebody else to set a pace for them. Its a skill you need to develop for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ok taking that example of running a marathon as a prep for Dublin. If you're pacing, the best you're gonna be pacing at would be 3:00, which is about 6:50/mile. You're contrained by the job you've signed up to do in that you're not gonna be able to run a good portion of it at Marathon pace, say 15 - 20miles. So then what would be the point of running 6:50s when your MP would be 5:50 or thereabouts? You could run a training session with some other lads and do that job for nothing, without having to spend 40-50 quid signing up for a race. I just dont see that there'd be any reasons other than ego that would be at play here and when thats the case I think its not such a good thing. Plus aswell I think people need to be independent in races so that they're not reliant on somebody else to set a pace for them. Its a skill you need to develop for yourself.
    I agree with you, which is why I've taken a step back from it; the paces are no longer useful or relevant. Pacing Kildare in May was counter-productive, and set back my recovery by a couple of weeks. If someone wanted a 2:50 pacer in August though and offered me €50 to do it, I'd jump at it. I could even live without the back-slaps and free pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ok taking that example of running a marathon as a prep for Dublin. If you're pacing, the best you're gonna be pacing at would be 3:00, which is about 6:50/mile. You're constrained by the job you've signed up to do in that you're not gonna be able to run a good portion of it at Marathon pace, say 15 - 20miles. So then what would be the point of running 6:50s when your MP would be 5:50 or thereabouts? You could run a training session with some other lads and do that job for nothing, without having to spend 40-50 quid signing up for a race. I just dont see that there'd be any reasons other than ego that would be at play here and when thats the case I think its not such a good thing. Plus aswell I think people need to be independent in races so that they're not reliant on somebody else to set a pace for them. Its a skill you need to develop for yourself.

Agreed, but pacers meet a need created by their introduction to races, some people now feel they need to be paced and maybe part of it is that they can shift the responsibility onto someone else. For me pacing, (and it's been a while since I've done it) was about arriving as a runner given where I started from (and where I seem to have found myself again :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Sometimes people just like going for a long run and having a chat along the way and pacing happens to tick both those boxes. Let's not overthink things!

belcarra wrote: »
    Sometimes people just like going for a long run and having a chat along the way and pacing happens to tick both those boxes. Let's not overthink things!

Let's just leave it at that. Myself and tunguska have similar opinions on pacing. Some of you other guys have different but valid opinions also. Different horses for different courses. Now lets get back to the training required to pace a 12 stone runner to 2.29.XX ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Now lets get back to the training required to pace a 12 stone runner to 2.29.XX ;)

Lose a bit of weight and pace off follow Ultrapercy...simples!;)

belcarra wrote: »
    Lose a bit of weight and pace off follow Ultrapercy...simples!;)

that's one option, option 2 is to lose weight and stay ahead of him :D

Tuesday: Tight for time today. Meetings all day and mrs heading out this evening so had to really squeeze these runs in. Turned up for 9.30am meeting with sweat still pumping out of me :o Hay fever is bad today as well so had 2 very blood shot eyes. Looked like a total junkie or the tour de France yellow jersey wearer, quelle difference? :)

am: 5 miles @ 6.35 pace. Nice run along the canal legs feeling nice. Was raging had to keep it short. PM 6.5 miles @ 6.20 pace. Had hoped to run through Carton house but it's closed off due to Irish open meaning I had to take my life into my hands on run on some dodgy roads to make a detour. Legs felt smashing again. Would love to be able to bottle today's feeling!

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 6.32 pace. Had to take an antihistamine last night hay fever was so bad. These really mess me up, felt really lethargic and heavy this morning. Was going to skip this run and actually take the day off but convinced myself to do 30 minutes anyway. Once I got moving I was grand and legs felt super again, was clipping on nicely with no effort until just after the ninth mile when I felt my lower back tighten up badly. It's not great now. My own fault as I've neglected stretches the last 2 weeks. Hopefully will sort itself out with some intense stretching over the next few days. Will skip planned evening run as a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I wouldn't mind feeling lethargic and heavy running 6.30minute miles ;)
    When you racing again?

Advertisement