Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Whats your average training pace? Your last few runs you seemed to be going fairly steady. Would you just run based on how you feel or would you be slightly pushing it all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I wouldn't mind feeling lethargic and heavy running 6.30minute miles ;)
    When you racing again?

That was just from the antihistamine tablet, once I got moving and the blood flowing I was grand. No definite plans for races yet apart from the national half in August. Dublin is 18 weeks away so going to just keep what I'm doing for the next 6 weeks jumping into races whenever suits and just going to keep building the aerobic side of things. Then 12 weeks of flogging and try to peak for Dublin!
    pa4 wrote: »
    Whats your average training pace? Your last few runs you seemed to be going fairly steady. Would you just run based on how you feel or would you be slightly pushing it all the time?

Anywhere between 6.50-7.10 I suppose. Legs have been feeling great recently as I'm not doing any sessions so it's easy to pick up the pace on easy runs. However I may have pushed the boat out the last two days as my back is fcuked.com. Locked badly after yesterdays run. It's a hip flexor issue but luckily ecoli had a look last night and relieved some of the tightness. Am stretching like a lunatic today and back is slowly but surely easing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

TRR wrote: »
    Anywhere between 6.50-7.10 I suppose. Legs have been feeling great recently as I'm not doing any sessions so it's easy to pick up the pace on easy runs. However I may have pushed the boat out the last two days as my back is fcuked.com. Locked badly after yesterdays run. It's a hip flexor issue but luckily ecoli had a look last night and relieved some of the tightness. Am stretching like a lunatic today and back is slowly but surely easing out.

I know how you feel, when I was taken a few weeks off from sessions a few months ago I was feeling great and running anywhere between 6.20-6.50. At the moment I'd be between 6.50-7.15 since I'm doing two fairly intense sessions a week, the body wouldn't let me go any faster! I'd always try and get some foam rolling done after a run I wouldn't be half as stiff the next day especially after a race or hard session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 6.32 pace. Had to take an antihistamine last night hay fever was so bad. These really mess me up, felt really lethargic and heavy this morning.
    Hayfever has been brutal the last 2 weeks, i look like i have been on a massive bender the last while and have been getting strange looks in work.
    Never thought of the antihistamines causing tiredness etc, might explain how i have felt the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hayfever has been brutal the last 2 weeks, i look like i have been on a massive bender the last while and have been getting strange looks in work.
    Never thought of the antihistamines causing tiredness etc, might explain how i have felt the last while.

Experiment with the various brands, I find with Clarityn I can rock on as normal, but with Piriton I'm knocked sideways.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Experiment with the various brands, I find with Clarityn I can rock on as normal, but with Piriton I'm knocked sideways.

I've experimented over the years and they all kill me. Piriton definitely the worst though. I normally take a nasal spray and that works well but if I forget to take it I take the anthistamines as a last resource. They make me incredibly grumpy and agro as well, well more grumpy and agro that normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I take anti-histamines year round for a different condition (Acute Urticaria - allergic type reactions but from an unknown trigger, so totally random :rolleyes:). I have to say though that I find that they have little effect on me regarding side-effects.
    Somewhat surprised to hear they cause you Pollen sufferers such misery, I'd almost feel sorry for yiz!!

belcarra wrote: »
    I take anti-histamines year round for a different condition (Acute Urticaria - allergic type reactions but from an unknown trigger, so totally random :rolleyes:). I have to say though that I find that they have little effect on me regarding side-effects.
    Somewhat surprised to hear they cause you Pollen sufferers such misery, I'd almost feel sorry for yiz!!

allergies to compassion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It's a right pain in the stones. Nothing really works for me; anti-whateveryoucallthem, nasal spray etc. Last few days i've been in bits after runs - streaming nose on one side, blocked on other, itchy eyes, wheazy. Ended up taking 3 Zirtek over the course of yesterday; daily morning on (as usual) and one when i came back in bits, then another before bed as wasn't any better and was worried i wouldn't sleep. Still useless - smarties to an elephant. Anyone tried the injection?

Obviously scheduled a rest day today, so you've that to thank for the rain.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    It's a right pain in the stones. Nothing really works for me; anti-whateveryoucallthem, nasal spray etc. Last few days i've been in bits after runs - streaming nose on one side, blocked on other, itchy eyes, wheazy. Ended up taking 3 Zirtek over the course of yesterday; daily morning on (as usual) and one when i came back in bits, then another before bed as wasn't any better and was worried i wouldn't sleep. Still useless - smarties to an elephant. Anyone tried the injection?

Obviously scheduled a rest day today, so you've that to thank for the rain.

Was going to get it a couple of years ago but luckily I found a couple of nasal sprays that work for me instead. I heard the injection isn't a long term solution as you can only get it once or twice. Actually that is what a GP told me so maybe I should look into it myself as I find 90% of GPs to be limp dicks i.e useless fcukers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Anyone tried the injection?
    I used to get the annual injection when I was a kid, but the problem with it is that you have to take it 2-3 months before the hay-fever season. Hard to remember, and hard to judge if it has had any benefit. Eventually I just switched to antihistamines, but like others, these tend to knock me off my feet. The hay fever injections don't seem to be as readily available as they did in the past, and after a quick google, it looks like this may be because they have unpredictable side-effects, and also appear on the WADA banned substance list (along with similar corticosteroids).

These days I just suffer through it, and as long as I can stay away from my eyes and nose, I get over the worst of it in a couple of days. Keep meaning to try the natural remedy (a couple of tablespoons of local honey per day), but local honey is hard to get hold of, in this mass produced day and age and may just be a chill pill (but what harm could it possibly do?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks KC, yeah I seen the Kenalog injection is gone but i think there is a different one available (depo medrone).

Anyway I'll suffer on this year, and look into it more for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Apologies, I'm very out of place on this log :o, but thought I'd offer you an alternative to piriton/clarityn (they knock the stuffing out of me too), I found a really good natural anti-histhamine called Apis tablets. They don't cause any drowsiness at all, and work within 20 mins or so. You'll find them in health shops. Worth a try anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bloody hell lads didnt realise hayfever was so widespread. Never had it myself so I dont know much about the condition but what would happen if you didnt take anti-histamines or anything at all for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    Bloody hell lads didnt realise hayfever was so widespread. Never had it myself so I dont know much about the condition but what would happen if you didnt take anti-histamines or anything at all for it?
    That's what I do these days. A couple of days of hell (picture man-flu-like symptoms) and then it's largely gone for the summer. Just the occasional itchy eyes, sinus pain, sneezing and it can also trigger asthma, if you also suffer in that domain.

Regards hay fever. Doesn't effect me whilst I'm running but once I stop its snot and tear city. Like KC my hay fever can bring asthma on. By the way I have a useless GP tell me this was impossible. Another limp dick

Back to training. I've missed th last 2 days with the back problem. It's going to need a bit of rest. I was doing everything I could so I could run the Waterford marathon tomorrow but had to stop after a two minute run today. Would be suicide to attempt a marathon as long term would have very bad outcomes and I don't think I'd get through 26 miles with it anyway. Going to take the rest of the week off and hopefully the back muscles will stop going into spasm and the hip flexors will loosen out further. I'm blaming this injury on the beer mile. I stopped stretching the week leading up to it and didn't get back into my routine. Nice timely reminder and assuming I'm back next week it will have been a welcome wake up call. Better this happening now than in 17 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

hows the back??

hows the back??

It's eased out a lot but was worse than I first thought. Will chance a run later today so hopefully all goes well. Major lesson to be (re)learned from pushing too fast every day! Not the first time I've made this mistake but as I said if it gets sorted relatively soon it will have acted as a good wake up call.

I was doing everything I could so I could run the Waterford marathon tomorrow

Seriously? I think you've been hanging around with Peter Mooney too much lately......
    With regards to your back, have you ever tried yoga? I've been doing it for a year now and I have to say my back feels amazing. You dont realise how tight it can get until you do one of those backbend, crab-like things.

Seriously? I think you've been hanging around with Peter Mooney too much lately......
    With regards to your back, have you ever tried yoga? I've been doing it for a year now and I have to say my back feels amazing. You dont realise how tight it can get until you do one of those backbend, crab-like things.

I was just planning on running it as a long training run. Would definitely consider doing yoga. My overall flexibility is shocking. Where do you do it?

Tried a run a few minutes ago and everything seized up again so will just have to knock running on the head for another while and let everything calm down. It's literally a pain in the arse but I'm not going to get stressed, been here before and know that time is a great healer for muscular problems.

• Advertisement

I was just planning on running it as a long training run. Would definitely consider doing yoga. My overall flexibility is shocking. Where do you do it?

Tried a run a few minutes ago and everything seized up again so will just have to knock running on the head for another while and let everything calm down. It's literally a pain in the arse but I'm not going to get stressed, been here before and know that time is a great healer for muscular problems.

**** man thats frustrating you were on a roll. I'll send you a PM about the yoga.

**** man thats frustrating you were on a roll. I'll send you a PM about the yoga.

Cheers, feck it. A few weeks off won't have a negative impact in the long term. The key for me is to watch what I eat for the next while so I don't turn in Chubster McKenzie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Cheers, feck it. A few weeks off won't have a negative impact in the long term. The key for me is to watch what I eatDrink for the next while so I don't turn in Chubster McKenzie :)

Think you mean this ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

RubyK wrote: »
    Apologies, I'm very out of place on this log :o, but thought I'd offer you an alternative to piriton/clarityn (they knock the stuffing out of me too), I found a really good natural anti-histhamine called Apis tablets. They don't cause any drowsiness at all, and work within 20 mins or so. You'll find them in health shops. Worth a try anyway :)

did a quick search - these are homeopathic right?

Dont think there is anything in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you tried diluting it to make it stronger ? :D

They work for me! I'm prone to a type of eye allergy. These apis tablets reduce the swelling within 20 mins and don't leave me feeling like I'm about to fall asleep standing up, unlike piroten/clarityn.

They have also helped my Dad who has suffered from attacks of angiodema.

They work for me! I'm prone to a type of eye allergy. These apis tablets reduce the swelling within 20 mins and don't leave me feeling like I'm about to fall asleep standing up, unlike piroten/clarityn.

They have also helped my Dad who has suffered from attacks of angiodema.

Thanks for the post Ruby. I think the lads are alluding to the fact that homeopathy "medicines" are basically water.

Thanks for the post Ruby. I think the lads are alluding to the fact that homeopathy "medicines" are basically water.

Ah right :o I suppose people might be sceptical, but I'll keep taking them, couldn't go back to that other stuff ;)

Ah right :o I suppose people might be sceptical, but I'll keep taking them, couldn't go back to that other stuff ;)

Don't have any time for homeopathy myself but I'm a big fan of the placebo effect so if you are adamant they work for you who are we to tell you differently. One thing is for sure, they definitely shouldn't make you feel drowsy ;)

• Advertisement

Back attack

Bloody back is still at me. I really did a job on the left hand side of my arse. For about 4-5 days I had so much referral pain I couldn't pinpoint the exact trouble area but slowly with some treatment, stretching and rest I realise my hip flexors are the route cause (as usual :rolleyes:). This is my own fault. I neglected my stretching and could feel them getting tighter by the day. If you're not doing your stretches make sure you start doing them today. Back is still a bit dodge and while there is a huge improvement, it still isn't anywhere near risking a run.

I'm writing off another week and am going to hit the gym every day for stretching and core work. Fingers crossed I'll be back in action next week. If recovery continues as it has I should be.

Keep reminding myself I've ran a 2.38 marathon off 7 weeks training last year so I'm not panicking or writing anything off just yet.

viva la roadrunner ;)

Advertisement