Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

TRR wrote: »
    Back attack

Bloody back is still at me. I really did a job on the left hand side of my arse. For about 4-5 days I had so much referral pain I couldn't pinpoint the exact trouble area but slowly with some treatment, stretching and rest I realise my hip flexors are the route cause (as usual :rolleyes:). This is my own fault. I neglected my stretching and could feel them getting tighter by the day. If you're not doing your stretches make sure you start doing them today. Back is still a bit dodge and while there is a huge improvement, it still isn't anywhere near risking a run.

I'm writing off another week and am going to hit the gym every day for stretching and core work. Fingers crossed I'll be back in action next week. If recovery continues as it has I should be.

Keep reminding myself I've ran a 2.38 marathon off 7 weeks training last year so I'm not panicking or writing anything off just yet.

viva la roadrunner ;)

definitely no need for panic. 16 weeks to go and you may look back at this setback as a blessing in the long run. Get 100% first, 8 good weeks is better than 16 of stop start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Keep reminding myself I've ran a 2.38 marathon off 7 weeks training last year
    Yeah, yeah, you're deadly... Way to rub it in... It took some of us 6 years. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Yeah, yeah, you're deadly... Way to rub it in... It took some of us 6 years. ;)

ha ha yes I am deadly, you're right I should rephrase that so not to offend anyone (but you ;))
    Keep reminding myself I've ran a London marathon 23 seconds than krusty_clown did off just 7 weeks training so I'm not panicking or writing anything off just yet.

took me longer than 6 years to get there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can't believe you ran London as well as Boston! My thumb is fine by the way, thanks for checking in ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Can't believe you ran London as well as Boston! My thumb is fine by the way, thanks for checking in ;)

I did indeed I'm sure you can't wait for a detailed breakdown of the course and the chance to relive my every waking minute in London :)

Once I seen you were able to type on other threads I knew you were over the worst of it and it probably wouldn't have to be amputated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You'd been relegated to page 4 so time for a bump........hows the Back?

tunguska wrote: »
    You'd been relegated to page 4 so time for a bump........hows the Back?

That's what happens when you've no training to update the log with.

It's still not great. As I mentioned before I had a good few strains and knots in lots of muscle groups along my left hand side, hips, flexors, glutes and were all pulling on my lower back. Thankfully they are all sorted now except for one stubborn muscle. The attachment point onto the pelvis is very tight but the pain manifests in the lower back to a very specific point. I've been heading to the gym at lunch time to stretch and I did feel like it was improving.

Tuesday was a worry as I went to walk to lunch and a 5 minute walk took me 20 minutes to hobble. Had to ring my mrs to collect me and drop me back to the office the pain was so bad. Amazingly an hour later there wasn't a bother on it. I think this is something that is just going to have to work itself out unfortunately so I've no idea how long more I'll be out. It's killing me not running in this weather and I fcuking hate the gym. Normally I take the opportunity of a rest from running to sort out DIY stuff in the house but I can't even do that. The worst was last night when my little lad wanted to play footie on the green and I could barely move to get the ball let alone jog and kick. Was a bit depressing really :mad:

Will just keep doing what I'm doing and with a bit of luck things will change for the better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Have you considered the pool instead of the gym? I've always found it brilliant to help back problems, aids flexibility without stressing the joints. Can help to stretch and flex muscles that might be inflamed.

The only downside is you'd be in danger of developing those 12-year old girl's arms of yours.

Tuesday was a worry as I went to walk to lunch and a 5 minute walk took me 20 minutes to hobble. Had to ring my mrs to collect me and drop me back to the office the pain was so bad. Amazingly an hour later there wasn't a bother on it. I think this is something that is just going to have to work itself out unfortunately so I've no idea how long more I'll be out. It's killing me not running in this weather and I fcuking hate the gym. Normally I take the opportunity of a rest from running to sort out DIY stuff in the house but I can't even do that. The worst was last night when my little lad wanted to play footie on the green and I could barely move to get the ball let alone jog and kick. Was a bit depressing really :mad:

Its hard to know how to respond to be honest, anything I say will just come patronizing and I know you hate that "keep your chin up sh1t" so I'll keep it shut........
    Have you tried the stationary bikes in the gym or would the back even hold up to that? I know its not ideal but I found that they kept me ticking over fairly well during my time out.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Have you considered the pool instead of the gym? I've always found it brilliant to help back problems, aids flexibility without stressing the joints. Can help to stretch and flex muscles that might be inflamed.

The only downside is you'd be in danger of developing those 12-year old girl's arms of yours.

I did, actually I think Tuesdays problems were the result of a bit of a swim.
    tunguska wrote: »
    Its hard to know how to respond to be honest, anything I say will just come patronizing and I know you hate that "keep your chin up sh1t" so I'll keep it shut........
    Have you tried the stationary bikes in the gym or would the back even hold up to that? I know its not ideal but I found that they kept me ticking over fairly well during my time out.

Thanks, I've no bleedin' option but to keep positive :) I've been injured enough times to know that getting down in the dumps doesn't help. PMA and all that ****e. Just hoping I can get back in time to train for DCM but at the same time I'm not rushing anything because at the end of there will be plenty more DCMs and I'm planning on doing London or Rotterdam next year so don't want to mess my chances up there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

PMA and all that ****e.
    Classic!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sorry to read that D. Its the pits.

Violence against family pets. Only way to go. Hope you are back on the road soon.

Arse/back update

Was going to avoid posting here for a while until I was back running properly but have had a few emails the last few days and told people what the story is and telling them to keep it to themselves. By my reckoning I've told 7 people that, so it's no secret :)

So last week the old back and arse passed the "is it sore when you get out of bed test". This was a good sign I left it a couple of days and headed out Saturday for a 20 minute test trot. Things were going fine until about 5 minutes in when everything started to seize up. Epicentre was my left glute and moved into my back, left leg went numb and had to stop after 6 minutes 35 seconds. Did some stretching plenty of cursing and stubbornly ran back to the house. Actually loosened out a little so did 16 minutes in total but I was limping around for the rest of the evening. Not a happy camper but when I woke Sunday I was A1 again so headed out again, have been building up by about 5 minutes a day and while I still feel a lot of discomfort it is nothing like the pain of a few days ago. The best way to describe it is the feeling of a dead leg (in my arse cheek). Also feels like somebody inserted a butt implant under my skin as the knots get bigger and bigger as I run.

In one sense it's massive progress but if I'm realistic there is still a seriously stressed out muscle there and I noticed today I am compensating for my left leg.

Plan is to continue stretching, foam rolling and applying heat/ice while at the same time doing some easy running. Don't know what this means for Dublin. I hope to run it one way or the other but am not setting any targets and if I miss it then so be it! I'm running the London marathon nest year (fingers crossed) so if the worse comes to the worst I'll just cut my loses and refocus for that.

Will be avoiding the logs again for a while as I hate seeing how well everybody else is going. If one of you could take my place I'd gladly let you. I a cnut like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

You should show up at the "Rock and Roll" HM on Monday, punch one of the "curb crew" and hi-jack one of the bands microphones to heckle your rivals by calling them pussies as they go by to blow off a bit of steam...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    You should show up at the "Rock and Roll" HM on Monday, punch one of the "curb crew" and hi-jack one of the bands microphones to heckle your rivals by calling them pussies as they go by to blow off a bit of steam...

Now that would be worth 49 euro!!

Dude, you have to show up at the Rock 'n' Roll.... There's the promise of pints, I'm on camera duty and I have a new lens that's bigger than your ego and longer than a puke free attempt at a beer mile by meno!

Dude, you have to show up at the Rock 'n' Roll.... There's the promise of pints, I'm on camera duty and I have a new lens that's bigger than your ego and longer than a puke free attempt at a beer mile by meno!

Ha ha love it :) that race is on at 8.30 so you will be all drinking nice and early!!! What are the plans? Doubt I'll make it although I may bring the young lad in to continue my running related brain washing programme.

Ha ha love it :) that race is on at 8.30 so you will be all drinking nice and early!!! What are the plans? Doubt I'll make it although I may bring the young lad in to continue my running related brain washing programme.

Think the plan is to head home, shower, change, lunch and head back to watch the race in DLR.... Might even have pints out there as Stalker Stew has moved out close to his mathamammy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Think the plan is to head home, shower, change, lunch and head back to watch the race in DLR.... Might even have pints out there as Stalker Stew has moved out close to his mathamammy! ;)

DLR race starts at 10:30 unless you want to catch the 4hr 10kers (aka monster muchies) I can't see you managing that!! ;) Not moving until next week btw. Pints in town around 3pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pints in town around 3pm?

This sounds like a really good idea

• Advertisement

Will be avoiding the logs again for a while as I hate seeing how well everybody else is going. If one of you could take my place I'd gladly let you. I a cnut like that :)

Brilliant. Non of this fake "I wish you all the best of luck crap" when you really dont. love the Machiavellian-ism.
    You should of told me earlier though that you couldnt run, I'd have bought your entry. Entered on the last day for 49 bills which is a bit of a kick in the balls.

78 Days to DCM

Mon: 4 @ 7
    Tue: 4 @ 6.45
    Wed: 5 @ 6.55
    Thurs: 5 @ 7.05
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 6 @ 6.50
    Sun: 8 @ 6.50

This weeks training above. Bit of discomfort Monday, pain free Tuesday and Wednesday, was very happy. Good bit of pain Thursday so was a bit of a kick in the nuts. Ecoli gave me a great rub down Thursday evening and could feel an immediate improvement. Took Friday off as a planned rest day and have ran pain free the last couple of days. There is still some tightness there but I think I'm back on the horse. Emergency DCM plan kicks in tomorrow. Not going to to set any goals until I've a couple of weeks running under my belt. Paces this week were too fast. Will be better disciplined next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to see ya back...easy does it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Great to see your back running and hope the improvement continues. Softly, softly catchey monkey, loads of time.

blockic wrote: »
    Great to see ya back...easy does it...
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    Great to see your back running and hope the improvement continues. Softly, softly catchey monkey, loads of time.

Thanks lads, yes of course emergency DCM plan sounds like a crash course, it will just be a modified/easier version of what I had hoped to do initially.

TRR is happy that TRR is back running ;)

Monday: 7 miles @ 7.26. Nice run with company. Legs feeling good. Arse feeling good. Back feeling good. Mental health feeling good.

Tuesday: 10 miles @ 7.11. Nice run with company again. Body feeling fine. No pain or aches. Funny enough only complaint I have is in my shoulders at hinge point where arms swing. Feels a little tender. Shoudl be grand in a day or two.

Easy day tomorrow

view from my desk attached ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Welcome back to the running world. Two things:
    1) That whiteboard never gets used
    2) Is that Darth Vader silhouetted in the window?

Welcome back to the running world.

Thanks
    1) That whiteboard never gets used

correct, first use I have found for it in 2 years. Other scribbles are there more than 2 years.
    2) Is that Darth Vader silhouetted in the window?

The empire strikes back baby!

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 5 miles @ 7.40 pace. Nice recovery day. I had scheduled another recovery run for the evening but sense prevailed. I've no niggles but muscle problem was most likely due to overuse and lack of stretching. Decided to rest my arse and stretch it instead. Will throw in a few doubles in a couple of weeks.

Thursday: 12.5 miles @ 7.26 pace in the PP with ecoli and drquirky. Very happy with this as I found the conditions a little stiffling. We ran the majority on grass so was nice and easy on the legs but also got the extra workout you get from slogging on uneven ground instead of smooth faster pavement.

really happy how things are coming back. Major issue is I've put on a fair bit of weight. Lack of physical exercising including walking and an inner fat man being the main culprits. Nothing major but manorexia part 2 kicked in yesterday so hope to see the jelly belly disappear over the next few weeks.

Advertisement