Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

why not aim for a WR - fastest marathon in a pirate costume ;)

Only half joking.....

Hope the shins are ok

Even that would be tough. I ran a marathon in Madrid a few years back and just about beat a guy who was dressed as a pirate or "el pirata" as the onlookers were calling him. Was very annoying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    I'm heading to do the lakes 10k this weekend. Looking forward to the race as it's a great one and I see it has sold out again. Will be a decent indication of where I'm at the moment and how much work needs to be done.
    Myself and Pronator are planning to follow-up the race with a couple more laps of the course, if you want to tick off your long run at the same time?

Myself and Pronator are planning to follow-up the race with a couple more laps of the course, if you want to tick off your long run at the same time?

Thanks, I'll see how the body is and I may join you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

What does LSR stand for?

pa4 wrote: »
    What does LSR stand for?

long slow run

• Advertisement

Monday: 7 easy miles @ 7.20 pace. Feeling ok, legs a little tender though.

Tuesday: 17 miles @ 7.05 pace. Very warm day, felt really good until 15 miles and then I boinked, needed a gel or even some fluids. Had planned 18-20 but was starting to cramp so called it a day.

Wednesday: am 4 miles recovery, pm 4 miles recovery. Handy runs to drop off and pick up car at the mechanics. Feeling absolutelyfooked.com

Thursday: rest day. Kind of unplanned but badly needed.

Friday: 7 miles easy @ 7.20 pace.

I'm finding that every second day I'm basically fooked. Others have mentioned to struggle to get out of the bed etc well I'm in the same boat. Things are busy at home and work and I feel like I'm just about doing enough to keep my head above water on all fronts. Going into this week was hoping for 70 odd miles but kopped on and realised that this was an ease back week. I don't think I've actually taken a day off in a month or so which is absolutely stupid for someone who is just coming back. I took yesterday off to rectify this and feeling a little better today. Have a 10k race tomorrow. Dreading and looking forward to it as the same time. Delighted I'm in a position to go out and race but dreading the fact I've done no tempo work and I'll most probably get my ass handed to me by a clown ;) Hoping to feel nice and refreshed going into next week and then I'll try and increase the intensity of some of my runs.

Happy to be running just not happy with my running if that makes sense! Hopefully a decent effort tomorrow will be another stepping stone in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tuesday: 17 miles @ 7.05 pace. Very warm day, felt really good until 15 miles and then I boinked, needed a gel or even some fluids. Had planned 18-20 but was starting to cramp so called it a day.

No wonder you're fooked if you're going around boinking all day!

belcarra wrote: »
    No wonder you're fooked if you're going around boinking all day!

As usual I was on my own when I boinked .................

I'll most probably get my ass handed to me by a clown ;)
    Rumble in the jungle, or ripple of the cripples?!
    Ran 5 miles this morning, and my first mile was a jaw-dropping 9:14/mile, as the missus cruised past me.

Rumble in the jungle, or ripple of the cripples?!
    Ran 5 miles this morning, and my first mile was a jaw-dropping 9:14/mile, as the missus cruised past me.

If it comes down to it we will have a duel with our walking sticks :)

Ps don't be afraid to throw a nine minute mile in during the race tomorrow. Don't want to over stretch yourself early on ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday: 10.5 miles total with 10k in 34.44. Headed down to the lakes 10k with the goal of breaking 35 minutes. Didn't wear a watch during the race so was just trying to run by feel. First 4k felt very easy but I must have started to slow down as I was caught by a group that included krusty around 5.5k. I was feeling quite good and didn't feel like a significant slow down (maybe they speeded up?) but hadn't the legs to stay ahead of the chasing group. I think I did well to just about hold onto the back of them and had hoped of maybe keeping them in touching distance and maybe catching them over the last km but it wasn't to happen. Well done to krusty who after a bit of prerace banter finished 3 places ahead of me. My prerace plan had been to run behind him but must have got a rush of blood to the head and went out a little faster than I should have, he reckoned that at one stage I was about 200 metres ahead of them so plan obviously went out the window. All in all very happy with the time as it wasn't the best (nor worst) of mornings and is definitely another step in the right direction.

By the way if you're looking for a great 10k I can't recommend this race enough. Definitely one of my favourite races. They do everything right from road closures, supervised car parking, goody bags, registration etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Well done to krusty who after a bit of prerace banter finished 3 places ahead of me.

Them three places matter. Its the difference between getting chicked and not :pac:

Fair play man great running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great racing, nice time.
    I'd have done it but the coach hadn't got it in my plan. :)

I think Krusty also beat you by a few places on the 'race report' too.........

ecoli wrote: »
    Them three places matter. Its the difference between getting chicked and not :pac:
    I think Krusty also beat you by a few places on the 'race report' too.........

If there was an unlike button the two of you would have received it!

Sunday: 6 handy recovery miles. legs feeling quite good after yesterday but wouldn't have been able for much more really.

So that gives me roughly 50 miles for the week. Body is feeling good, no injury complaints thankfully and as long as I look after myself and don't do anything crazy that shouldn't change. Going to ramp up things the next 3 weeks, nothing mental but I have a very good idea what needs to be done so I'm ready for DCM in 7 weeks. 3 important sessions next week, LSR and MLR early in the week then going to take it handy for a couple of days and try and hit another 10k. Ideally would like to push on from yesterdays time and hopefully that race will have blown the cobwebs away. Pretty focused at the moment, so much so that I cancelled a night out on the beer with the lads, serious stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Sunday: 6 handy recovery miles. legs feeling quite good after yesterday but wouldn't have been able for much more really.

So that gives me roughly 50 miles for the week. Body is feeling good, no injury complaints thankfully and as long as I look after myself and don't do anything crazy that shouldn't change. Going to ramp up things the next 3 weeks, nothing mental but I have a very good idea what needs to be done so I'm ready for DCM in 7 weeks. 3 important sessions next week, LSR and MLR early in the week then going to take it handy for a couple of days and try and hit another 10k. Ideally would like to push on from yesterdays time and hopefully that race will have blown the cobwebs away. Pretty focused at the moment, so much so that I cancelled a night out on the beer with the lads, serious stuff ;)

Good stuff, I had to sacrifice a night out last night for a more refreshing 10 miler this morning. Ended up having to train on my own as a result! I much prefer the natural high myself on a dull and cold misty morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Lots of beers to be had on October 28th you can more than make up for it then.

47 Days to DCM

Monday: 20 miles @ 7.05 pace. This was tough, this was very very very tough. At 12 miles I was starting to feel very very weary. By 16 miles I had to tell the lads to stop talking to me as I went into my little shell of pain. Was all over the shop by the end. I've basically gone from no LSR 5 weeks ago to 20 miles so this is to be expected. The fact I haven't done runs this long in over a year is also an issue. Having said all of that, based on previous experience I don't expect any other LSR to give me this much trouble (fingers crossed). Good just to get it done.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 7.30 pace. Nice handy run along the canal. Legs feeling good which was a surprise considering how bad I felt after Monday. Original plan was a double of two 2 handy runs but got a massage from ecoli in the evening instead so lengthened out the early run slightly.

Wednesday: 14 miles @ 6.58. Nice early run with ecoli and drquirky. Felt really good on this run although when I was left on my own at 10 miles I was tempted to stop. Body was fine and was enjoying the run so hard to explain. Just a little lazy voice in my head telling me I'd done enough.

42 days to DCM

Thursday: 8 miles @ 6.50. Enjoyed this run. Just ran by feel and felt very easy. Best I've felt in a while, no tightness or niggles in legs.

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.20 pace. Handy run just to shake the legs out.

Saturday: 11 miles with 10k race in 34.03. Finished 6th. Ran like an ejit. Happy with the time but I gave up mid race on 3 separate occasions, was very hilly in places and knocked the stuffing out of me. Was a little disappointed at the finish but I spent the rest of the day in the vicinity of the toilet so I reckon I pushed as hard as I could :o

Sunday: 5 mles recovery just to shake the legs out. Legs feel quite good after yesterday.

~75 miles for the week. Things still going in the right direction.

Cracking time TRR. What's do you reckon the difference is between last week and this week? Putting in a lot more effort?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Cracking time TRR. What's do you reckon the difference is between last week and this week? Putting in a lot more effort?

Confidence, Maria Mc wasn't running ;)

Thanks. A little more effort all right, I didn't feel as bad as I should have last week. I suppose I hadn't raced in a while or ran any fast miles in training recently either so that may be an issue.

Another suspicion I have is that the course may have been slightly short :rolleyes: I didn't wear my Garmin but I was shocked with the time as were a couple of the lads in front of me, also looking at the results of some of my friends they were a little quicker than they should have been. I honestly don't think it was a fast course and I found it much tougher than Blessington. There was a savage hill at 3-4 k and couple of other fcukers later on as well, to make matters worse the last 600 metres was on grass as well. Having said all of that I don't really care about the time. It was a savage workout for me and played it's part in my training for the main thing ;)

Another suspicion I have is that the course may have been slightly short :rolleyes:
    Nice one. Will ear-mark that one for next year. I reckon there's a market for short-courses. :)

40 days to DCM

Monday: 21.5 miles @ 7.02 pace. This was a good run. Compared to last weeks LSR it was a walk in the park. Had company for ~15 miles and this was a help although when left to my own devices the pace got faster. Very happy with this just because how easy it felt.

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.30 pace. Recovery run. Not enjoyable if I'm honest so so wet and cold I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't wait for it to end. Legs felt grand though.

Wednesday: 14 miles @ 6.58 pace. Super easy MLR run again. Similar to last week wanted to jack it in at 10 miles. Not because I was tired or pushed for time just because I was lazy. Crazy really, physically feel better than I have in ages but mentally I'm being a bit lazy mentally. Still got it done so that's all that counts.

Going to try and keep the mileage over 70 again this week and planning on doing the Dublin half marathon @ MP this Saturday. Will be interested how I get on compared to the Frank Duffy 4 weeks ago. I've got 6 vs 2 weeks training under the belt, feel stronger and fitter so hopefully will feel a lot easier.

Thursday: 6 fatigue miles in 7.30. Felt a bit run down. Early night sorted it thankfully.

Friday: 9 miles @ 7 min pace. Nice run wanted legs to be a little tired, not completely fresh going into half marathon on Saturday. Mission accomplished.

Saturday: 17 miles with half marathon @ MP in 78.06. Happy with this, set MP at 5.55-6.05. Stayed within range and pushed on the final 3 miles. They were easily my fastest and picked up 20 places on the s-bends. This run felt like I hoped it would. It wasn't easy, it was comfortably uncomfortable. Job done. Kilomarathon in 2 weeks with same strategy to come.

Sunday: 6 miles @ 7.10. Faster than recovery but felt slow and easy. Guess they always do after a previously day of relatively fastish running.

80 miles for the week. Another step in the right direction. The greatest comeback since Jesus h Christ returned on Easter Sunday for his crunchie Easter egg continues!

I'm off out now to paint the town blue. Up da Dubs :)

16 Days to DCM

It's been a while and I'm too lazy to log every run.

Basically got a nasty but the last weekend in September so had to miss my LSR. Was an important one and because I was pissed decided against looking in here for a while until I got things back on track. Was more of a precaution to make sure I didn't do anything stupid as everybody here seems to be flying in training and hammering super sessions.

So basically in the last 3 weeks I've probably averaged 70 miles a week. Have completed 2 * 20 milers @ ~7 min pace.

Ran a kilomarathon at bang on 6 minute pace. This felt good and was on a par with last years time although conditions this year were a little tougher so that was a massive confidence booster.

Ran a 10k today in 33.24 so delighted with that, 25 seconds faster than the same race last year. For me a 34 (+/-10 seconds) 10k is an indicator of a sub 2.40 marathon so it's all good. Legs were also surprisingly strong and they had another gear that I couldn't hit as the cardio system hasn't been shocked like this in a while. Couple more key sessions including a final LSR early next week and a 5k next weekend. Still on track and I'll start logging again next week.

PS nice to meet ronnie085 at the race today. Always nice to put a face to a pseudonym :)

Big thanks to ultraman1 too for his continued support abuse :)

275582.jpg

16 Days to DCM
    For me a 34 (+/-10 seconds) 10k is an indicator of a sub 2.40 marathon so it's all good.
    Does the same rule apply in reverse? A sub 2:40 means you can run a 34 minute 10k? I wish! Great to see you getting back to top form at just the right time.

Does the same rule apply in reverse? A sub 2:40 means you can run a 34 minute 10k? I wish! Great to see you getting back to top form at just the right time.

Thanks, yeah that's just a little rule of thumb I use for myself. I'm generally better at the shorter stuff and my times fall of when the distance gets longer. Different strokes for different folks.

Sunday: 6 mile recovery run. Legs feeling pretty good today. Definitely the strongest I can remember them feeling coming into a marathon. Normally I'd be hobbling after a race but the mostly aerobic runs I've been doing the last 8 weeks are paying off.

Had a minor emergency regards footwear. My racers ripped the feet off me when I did the Dublin half marathon. Had some really bad blood blisters but thankfully mrs TRR treated them and they healed quite quickly. Feet weren't too bad after kilomarathon last weekend but the racers gave me bad blisters again yesterday. Initially I had put it down to the fact I hadn't been wearing them in training so my feet were soft in places but I now realise they are shot. Anyway got a replacement pair yesterday from thirstywork and gave them a spin today. Will do my final LSR in them and also a couple of other runs to make sure they are OK but should be no issues. I wouldn't like to follow the example of some twit I know who bought a brand new pair of racers at a marathon expo and wore them the following day in his/her goal marathon!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I wouldn't like to follow the example of some twit I know who bought a brand new pair of racers at a marathon expo and wore them the following day in his/her goal marathon!!!!!!

I did that last year. Well I didnt actually buy the runners(paddy gave me a pair of his brand new kinvaras) so does that make me less of a twit? Probably not. On the morning of the race I brought 3 pairs of racers with me and I of course picked the pair I'd never worn before..........big mistake. Quads and Achilles in ribbons by 17 miles. Had to get Krusty the clown to take off my shoes at the finish line as my legs were so bad I couldn't even reach down as far as my own feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I wouldn't like to follow the example of some twit I know who bought a brand new pair of racers at a marathon expo and wore them the following day in his/her goal marathon!!!!!!

But tell the truth...how super hot and slick did that twit look crossing the finish line in the limited-edition-monogrammed-Boston-2013-specific-could-be-worth-a-fortune-in-years-to-come runners as said twit nailed a 2 minute+ PB absolutely blister free??!
    :D:D

Advertisement