Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

claralara wrote: »
    But tell the truth...how super hot and slick did that twit look crossing the finish line in the limited-edition-monogrammed-Boston-2013-specific-could-be-worth-a-fortune-in-years-to-come runners as said twit nailed a 2 minute+ PB absolutely blister free??!
    :D:D

is there a thumbs down option?

Monday: 5ish handy miles. Stuck for time so just headed out for a trot. Feeling a little run down so probably better I hadn't more time.

Tuesday: Still feeling a little run down so took the day off and went to bed nice and early. Mrs said she had to check if I was still alive a couple of times as I was dead to the world.

Wednesday: 18 miles @ 7.10. Last LSR. Feeling a lot better today so tackled this bad boy head on early this morning. Rain was unbelievable. Wasn't cold out and no wind thankfully but 2+ hours running in sapping wet clothes is not very nice. Had company which helped massively, would have been happy to call this at 14 but just put the head down and got it done. Legs feeling great during and after the run.

Planning on running a 5k this weekend but can't decide on whether to hit a parkrun or head down to Clane for the 5k there. Want a good solid effort so the race is my favoured option but the late start is putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »

Planning on running a 5k this weekend but can't decide on whether to hit a parkrun or head down to Clane for the 5k there. Want a good solid effort so the race is my favoured option but the late start is putting me off.
    5k prob wont start till 10 mins after the 10km ,,all the gaa socks have to be taped up and the prams have to get into position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    5k prob wont start till 10 mins after the 10km ,,all the gaa socks have to be taped up and the prams have to get into position

GAA shorts mandatory I presume ?

The more I hear about this race the more I realise its my kinda race ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The more I hear about this race the more I realise its my kinda race ;)

Last year there were free massages after and a feed of sambos, tea and cake in the hall.

Also there were medals for all finishers*

*that last bit is bound to be the clincher

Thursday: 5 mile recovery run. Legs felt great after LSR which is unusual for me. Could feel a little fatigue in the legs once I started running so was happy enough to keep it short and a nice easy pace.

Friday: 7ish miles at an easy pace. Around 7.20s. Had company and was enjoyable. Legs feeling good.

Plan atm is to run the parkrun tomorrow. If something pops up and I miss it I'll use the 5k in Clane as a backup. Looking forward to a bit of a blow out with no pressure. Will probably head to Griffeen as it's right beside my folks house so Mammy TRR can be rustling me up a bit of scramble egg while I leg it around the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Watch out for that slippy bridge! If I head out to Griffeen, will you ask the mammy to stick on another pan of eggs? :)

Watch out for that slippy bridge! If I head out to Griffeen, will you ask the mammy to stick on another pan of eggs? :)

I know it well. And you're right going over that twice you are asking for trouble. Are you heading out yourself?

I know it well. And you're right going over that twice you are asking for trouble. Are you heading out yourself?
    I'll probably head north, to St Annes or Malahide, just for a bit of variety (in other words I'm trying to avoid you, now that you've hit your form). :D

• Advertisement

Saturday: 6 miles total with parkrun 5k in 16.25. Happy enough with this effort. Ran the entire thing solo so had nobody to work/judge off. Kept pushing hard enough and kept a sneaky eye in the watch as wanted to make sure I went sub 16.30. Successful mission, did exactly what I set out to do.

Sunday: 5ish easy recovery miles. Nothing to report here. Just shaking out any remaining lactic from Saturdays 5k.

Taper continues. I love taper time. Legs gradually start feeling like they don't belong to a 70 year old and there is a major running event to be yet enjoyed (hopefully). Compare taper week to post marathon week where you have that little empty feeling as the one thing you've been focusing on has passed by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Legs gradually start feeling like they don't belong to a 70 year old .

Not in my case :D

Congrats on the course record! A damn fine run, particularly given the taper context. It's a fast course (but for those two bridges), but I reckon Marlay is a good chunk faster. I'm loving this taper too. Really enjoying the runs, instead of the more typical feeling of running because of training obligations. Monday can't come fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Not in my case :D

+1.
    Same here. Taper for me is a period where I feel progressively worse and worse as the days go by.

Monday: 6-7 miles nice and easy. Would have been a nice run except for the bloody rain. Have a little sniffle and as usual I'm hyper sensitive about in the lead up to a marathon.

Tuesday: 10 easy miles circa 7.30 pace I guess. Last run of any sort of distance. Just wanted to get this finished. Was ok although legs feeling a little heavy. Next few days of rest, massage, more rest and some light jogging will sort them out.

Taking tomorrow off, will do some light fartlek on Thursday and may take Friday off as well. Saturday will be a short effort and may actually run a parkrun with a couple of miles @ MP. Sunday will be a 20 minute leg shake out and then onto the big day :)

Will post again on Sunday with my finals thoughts and details of the TRR finish line celebration Windmills are so 2011 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Will post again on Sunday with my finals thoughts and details of the TRR finish line celebration Windmills are so 2011 ;)

Sprint just short of the line, pull a bottle of moosehead from nowhere, down it, place the neck of the empty bottle over your head and walk across the line with 2:3X on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Sprint just short of the line, pull a bottle of moosehead from nowhere, down it, place the neck of the empty bottle over your head and walk across the line with 2:3X on the clock.

While wearing the pirate costume........at least the hat?

While wearing the pirate costume........at least the hat?

If you can position yourself somewhere close to the finish line ill gladly accept props.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Epic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

tunguska wrote: »
    I did that last year. Well I didnt actually buy the runners(paddy gave me a pair of his brand new kinvaras) so does that make me less of a twit? Probably not. On the morning of the race I brought 3 pairs of racers with me and I of course picked the pair I'd never worn before..........big mistake. Quads and Achilles in ribbons by 17 miles. Had to get Krusty the clown to take off my shoes at the finish line as my legs were so bad I couldn't even reach down as far as my own feet.

Did the same myself,brandnew pair of Mizuno Universe :D

• Advertisement

Did the same myself,brandnew pair of Mizuno Universe :D

at least tunguska had done the bloody training ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

sourced a bit of gear for u here

I love the fact that this statement has received more "thanks/likes" than my training update. I would really like to follow your suggestion TBB as I think it would be quite funny. The only downsides are
    1) I'd look like a bit of a raging alcoholic to the innocent bystander.
    2) If my mammy spotted this on the RTE news or similar she would literally kill me. 35 years of age and the wrath of my mammy still puts the fear of god into me ;)
    sourced a bit of gear for u here

I can confirm the pirate costume was taking out of storage earlier in the week as TRR jnr wanted a dress rehearsal for our halloween costumes, but I don't think I'll be able to run in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck with the race, hopefully the finish line celebration is sorted, that's the main thing.

Hopefully catch you in McG after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck Monday trr. You've really pulled this one out of the bag and it didn't look like you'd even make it to the line not too long ago.

PS: No matter how many times Gary asks, don't let him hold your hand as you go across the line. They have photographers there and other people just don't understand. The windmill is the way to go. Don't mess with a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck on monday trr. Hope you enjoy the race. No idea how you do it, along with kc you seem to know exactly what the body can take.

Ill be on the fortfield rd. You have the honour of being the only tallaght athlete ill give a shout to :)

PS its not too late to claim INTERNET IMMORTALITY on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Peckham

PS: No matter how many times Gary asks, don't let him hold your hand as you go across the line. They have photographers there and other people just don't understand. The windmill is the way to go. Don't mess with a classic.

You should be thankful he kept his top on that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck Boss, you deserve a great run.

Go give those JD/P&d lads a spanking!

I see there's €100 for breaking 2:35. You could be buying pints for everybody...
    Just sayin', is all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Peckham

Would say something motivational here. But undoubtedly you're already in race mode and barely acknowledging other people!

Give it socks Lazarus.

Advertisement