Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck in your quest for another finishers medal, from all your pacer buddies! There may be no pacers for the time you're aiming for, but that doesn't make it any less significant, you're still a champ! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck TRR...I look forward to seeing your happy face when you pass.

Do you think you can hold the clown off? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck to tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Best of luck (translation: Go get that drinking money!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

TRR wrote: »
    11.5 hours to DCM

Sunday: 20 minutes. Put on the race gear and hit the streets this evening. Legs feel really really good. I can only remember them feeling this good once before a marathon, hopefully they stay that way once the gun goes. Was zipping along at MP and it felt very comfortable even into the wind up a slight hill. I think my club singlet may have shrunk slightly :o, either that or I over did the carb loading :p as it was fine 3-4 weeks ago when I wore it last and if anything I've lost another kilo or so since then. Was fine on run this evening but may not chance it tomorrow, it's a little tight under the arms. Mini wardrobe crisis, if that's all I have to be concerned with I'm laughing.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, this time last year I was feeling a little sorry for myself as myself and the OH had a discussion and thought it best if there was no marathon in 2012 with the birth of TRR the 2nd. Luckily I was able to train for London before she was born and now with a lot of help at home I'm in good shape, about to run my home city marathon representing the area I grew up in and the possibility of a PB to boot. It doesn't get much better than that in my eyes. Some lads dream of playing in Croke park or the Aviva, the thoughts of running through the streets of Dublin and being in the top 0.1% of finishers is my FA cup final and I am determined to enjoy it and accept whatever time I finish with. That doesn't mean I'll be taking it easy, the contrary to be honest. I really want to nail this one. Aim is 2.35 but I'd be very happy with anything under 2.40. Aim is 6 minute miles +/- 5 seconds for the first 10 and once I'm into the run of things the pace will be determined by how I feel, nothing foolish but if 6 minute miles are too fast I've no problem easing off. I plan on hitting 22 and making a push, that part of the course is fast and I can easily gain back any lost time. That's assuming I haven't shot my load too early. Anyway enough analysis, the wind could blow and feck everything up. Time to get some rest!

The above was written 12 months ago. With a little editing I could use it as a copy and paste for where I'm at today :)

Thursday: Did 5 miles with 3@MP (well HMP actually as I was bold)
    Friday: day off
    Saturday: 4 miles with 5*1 minute on , 1 minute off. Legs motoring
    Sunday: 20 minutes with 5*100 metre efforts. Legs feel amaze balls.

So waht's the plan? Well heading into the summer sub 2.30 was my goal and I think I was heading in the right direction. The guts of 8 weeks off though injury messed that up though so reassessed and aim was 2.40. I'd take 2.39 now but I think if I get a decent day weather wise and am feeling good there is a shot at my PB of 2.36.28 from last year. Even though I've missed a chunk of training I ran a similar time for the recent kilomarathon relative to last year and my 10k time from 2 weeks ago is 25 seconds up on where I was last year so no excuses.

Talking about excuses I had a head cold this week and still have the ends of it but it's not an issue and stayed off my chest. Have also been carrying a dodgy left knee for the last 3 weeks but the taper has sorted it out. Weather will play a major role tomorrow and if it blows hard I'll be running by effort and ignoring the watch. It is a race at the end of the day! Will head out at 6 minute mile pace and see what happens.

KC if I run sub 2.35 I'll buy you pints of coors light all day long.
    RQ, tell me exactly where you are going to be and I'll make sure to blow you a kiss. Can't have you sulking again for another year.
    Kurt fcuk off :)

See you in McGrattans peeps and fingers crossed we all get a race we can be happy about.

Shake 'n' bake beitches ;)

• Advertisement

TRR vs DCM part IV: the title decider

DCM won ;)

Tough day for me. Was feeling great the morning of the race and was moving nicely early on and was convinced I was going to have a good day. I made a few errors such as pacing a little faster than I should have in the early stages and when the questions were starting to be asked around 17 miles I hadn't the answers. The last 7-8 miles were literally like a nightmare and consisted of a good bit of walk/jog/run. Major positive was that I was able to keep the head and not hemorrhage unnecessary minutes. Pace dropped a minute a mile or so. Crossed the line with 2.43.xx on the clock and I was genuinely happy as all i wanted to do was drop out the last 30 odd minutes of that. Crowds were brilliant. Thanks to everyone for the shout outs, they really helped (I really must be an ignorant fecker as girls from the club were giving out to me for not acknowledging them :)

Not the time I wanted to run but an experience that will stand to me in the next 12 months. Back the start of August I honestly didn't think I'd be running DCM so to finish it in my 4th fastest marathon time ever is still something worthwhile. Can't always run the perfect race or get the perfect training cycle and while I'm pretty disappointed at the moment the thoughts of those last 6 miles and all the people who passed me will be motivation for my next marathon in London in April. The internal postmortem has been completed/noted and filed and it's time for me to move on.

As usual great craic back in the pub afterwards. Lots of savage performances including KCs great PB (although if you seen the mush on him you'd think he ran my time;)), Emer wasn't to be outdone in the clown household with her own PB and the pacers including Abhainn and meno who just about made sure they didn't fcuk their gigs up :) And obviously CL with her well deserved but still amazing sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

TRR vs DCM part IV: the title decider

DCM won ;)

Tough day for me. Was feeling great the morning of the race and was moving nicely early on and was convinced I was going to have a good day. I made a few errors such as pacing a little faster than I should have in the early stages and when the questions were starting to be asked around 17 miles I hadn't the answers. The last 7-8 miles were literally like a nightmare and consisted of a good bit of walk/jog/run. Major positive was that I was able to keep the head and not hemorrhage unnecessary minutes. Pace dropped a minute a mile or so. Crossed the line with 2.43.xx on the clock and I was genuinely happy as all i wanted to do was drop out the last 30 odd minutes of that. Crowds were brilliant. Thanks to everyone for the shout outs, they really helped (I really must be an ignorant fecker as girls from the club were giving out to me for not acknowledging them :)

Not the time I wanted to run but an experience that will stand to me in the next 12 months. Back the start of August I honestly didn't think I'd be running DCM so to finish it in my 4th fastest marathon time ever is still something worthwhile. Can't always run the perfect race or get the perfect training cycle and while I'm pretty disappointed at the moment the thoughts of those last 6 miles and all the people who passed me will be motivation for my next marathon in London in April. The internal postmortem has been completed/noted and filed and it's time for me to move on.

As usual great craic back in the pub afterwards. Lots of savage performances including KCs great PB (although if you seen the mush on him you'd think he ran my time;)), Emer wasn't to be outdone in the clown household with her own PB and the pacers including Abhainn and meno who just about made sure they didn't fcuk their gigs up :) And obviously CL with her well deserved but still amazing sub 3.

I know it's all relative but most on here could only dream of a time like that not mind be disappointed with it. Great attitude - looking forward to following your progress in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

At that kind of pace every bit of training counts to its a great time considering the issues in august.

See you in London..... Marathon revenge all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lol. I think that a week of 3-4 hours sleep per night just took its toll. After a couple of pints, I was just exhausted, and couldn't see past the 40-50 seconds I bled over the last couple of miles, which was the difference between a well executed race, and a dream result. I was much less dour on Tuesday!

Thanks for dragging me around the first 18 miles. I know you'll argue that you had nothing to do with my result, but that's bull. If the videos are anything to go by, I hid behind your for 75% of those 18 miles, and you even took a bullet for me, with that cordon tape that threatened to trip you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

there even talkin bout u on the futball thread...

• Advertisement

TRR vs. London marathon III

So another marathon another change of log title. Have been ticking over nicely since the marathon. Enjoying my runs. Not stressing the body. Jumped into a parkrun and ran 16.50 which I was very happy about as was running solo. Ran the Dublin intermediates last weekend and finished a decent 13th. Will just keep doing what I'm doing for the month of December and then I'll up the mileage.

Not making any predictions (apart from Tallaght AC handing Bros Pearce their asses in the Frank Duffy 10 in August ;)) or setting out goal times at the moment. Still licking the wounds and rebuilding the ego from the disaster that was DCM. I've been asked am I going to change things in my training like follow a Jack Daniels plan, use a heart rate monitor, monitor the lunar cycle, take EPO etc etc. The simple answer is no. Going back to basics and going to concentrate on the mileage old school style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

To hell with all that training cr@p. The real question is whether there's going to be a different pub next year or is it still all about knacker drinking and the coal hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR vs. London marathon III

Not making any predictions (apart from Tallaght AC handing Bros Pearce their asses in the Frank Duffy 10 in August ;))

Somebody get that f*cker off our FB page. Cant be leaking our world domination plans to the has-beens across the M50. ;)

Best of luck with the training TRR, have missed the log. Ill be trying to build milage too for connemara so would be interested in a few long ones over the winter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

He's back!!

To hell with all that training cr@p. The real question is whether there's going to be a different pub next year or is it still all about knacker drinking and the coal hole?

It's all about the knacker drinking. Coal hole is the spot as well as my hotel is right accross the road from it :) are you heading over yourself?
    Somebody get that f*cker off our FB page. Cant be leaking our world domination plans to the has-beens across the M50. ;)

Best of luck with the training TRR, have missed the log. Ill be trying to build milage too for connemara so would be interested in a few long ones over the winter....

World domination. You lot couldn't dominate our under tens in a xc race :) runs sound good. You might have to slow down a bit though!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

No London for me next year.. Was considering it, but not planning on flat out racing a marathon next spring, so didn't look into applying in the end. Fantastic race, hope to do it again sometime for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pa4 wrote: »
    He's back!!
    He's back. :(

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

He's back. :(

:)

Another reason to get my ass out the door for my 6am runs
    See you at the head of the red start then bud:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Abhainn wrote: »
    Another reason to get my ass out the door for my 6am runs
    See you at the head of the red start then bud:)

TRR will be further back behind Mo on the Blue start, so we get a bit of a headstart by being at the front of the Red and none of those other skinny lads getting in our way. He will have the option of following a 2:03 pacer from the Blue start though if he's feeling like a bit of a challenge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

robinph wrote: »
    TRR will be further back behind Mo on the Blue start, so we get a bit of a headstart by being at the front of the Red and none of those other skinny lads getting in our way. He will have the option of following a 2:03 pacer from the Blue start though if he's feeling like a bit of a challenge. :D
    Blue start is amazing, was just behind your starting spot in 2012 , Lucky feckers

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

Blue start it is. If I can get any where near Mo on the start line he's getting a punch to the back of the head. Can't stand him!

Blue start it is. If I can get any where near Mo on the start line he's getting a punch to the back of the head. Can't stand him!
    Not sure he will be in arms reach but a good gob would reach him for sure.

morceli wrote: »
    Not sure he will be in arms reach but a good gob would reach him for sure.

Or a bottle of pee with a loosely tightened lid!

Or a bottle of pee with a loosely tightened lid!
    He might just save that for after the race just in case some clean pee is needed, if he's into that sort of thing.

Beating the Ricky Hatton blues!

Mon: 6.5 miles @ 7.24. Absolutely wrecked for this one. Ran a xc the day before and my legs were hanging off me. Was a little faster than I would have liked but was grand in the end.

Tue: 7 miles@ 7.03. Handy run with company. Legs a good bit better but fatigue still there. Quite a windy day.

Wed: 10 miles@ 7.06. Super handy run. Ran with a friend and 10 miles were done in the blink of an eye with minimum effort. Taking the piss out of the world as you run helps the time fly by :)

Thur: 7.5 miles@ 7.10. Nice run along the canal bank, wind was a pain in the arse but happy with how I felt

Fri 10 miles@ 7.07. Another super easy run with company. Miles ticked away without me even noticing

Sat: 7 miles with 5k @ 16.45. Hit a parkrun for the 5k. Had planned on jingle bells but the time didn't suit as had stuff on with the kids later in the morning. Goal was to try and hit 16.40. I ran 16.25 in Grifeen the week after running a 33.30 10k so I use that as a benchmark as the Grifeen loop is twisting and turning and wouldn't be the fastest. Didn't feel great on the warm up and was backing out of trying to push the pace but once the whistle went I got the legs moving. I had the stopwatch on but GPS off and was happy to see I hit half way bang on target in 8.20, however I was in a bit of a jock. Got the head down and nearly managed to keep pace for a 16.45 finish. IMO it's worth a 16.2X on another course so very happy with that. Was absolutely pole axed for the rest of the day. My daughter had croup last week and I have a form of the virus myself as my trachea is swollen. Found it hard to swallow (behave digger) for the rest of Saturday and couldn't get the heat into me.

Sun: 9.5 miles @ 7.15. Evening run with 6 or so miles with ecoli. Legs feeling good and the throat is a lot better as well. Nice way to round off the week

Not a bad week all in all. I usually go AWOL this time of the year and my antics would put Ricky Hatton to shame. Plan is to keep
    getting the miles in, keep enjoying my runs, keep my weight at a respectable level, jump in the odd race here and there and hit January in relatively decent shape. One thing I'd like to work on is a longer run so I can hit January ready to run 16+ miles from week one of the new year. Hopefully I should be able to find the time for a longer run this week.

118 days to London

Mon: 9.5 miles @ 7.10. Nice evening run with ecoli until some pricks launched a bottle at us from a moving car but thankfully missed.

Tue: 7 miles @ 7 min pace. Very tired and late getting out to do this. Looking back at runs like this give me a great deal of satisfaction as I really did not want to do this.

Wed: carbon copy of Tuesdays run. Planned on a 5k parkrun on Saturday and clonliffe 5k next week and these helped me out the door.

Thurs: 8 miles @ 7 min pace. The struggle to get out continues. Had to work late so literally had an hour at lunch time. Meant I couldn't have a shower but luckily for my colleagues I was quarantined away from them for the afternoon.

Fri: 8 miles @ 6.50 pace. Enjoyed this one. End of week and pressure off in work.

Saturday: marlay parkrun in 16.52 in gale force winds. Aim was for 16.30 and I think the effort was equivalent. Finished 2nd, let the "winner" get too far ahead. Chased him down to 3k into the wind and up the hill but once we hit the flat and downhill sections he murdered me and pulled away from me. Was actually happy with myself that I was able to hang with him for the tougher section of the course but just goes to show my basic speed is poor and something I may need to start working on again.

Sunday: twinged something in my knee Saturday and have severe pain in the back of my left knee so took the day off as a precaution. I've now picked up a bit of a sinus infection so I took Monday off and will do similar today. To be honest it could be a blessing in disguise as I really wanted to run yesterday. Pain behind the knee is gone but these is definitely some fluid still in the knee or I twisted a ligament as I can still feel some faint sensations. If I'm not back training tomorrow or Thursday ill be skipping the 5k this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Remember having this discussion with you previously about when this knee pain pops up the the common trend. Any chance it is just that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

From Big Logger's log....

"Monday - was driving when I saw ecoli and that pr1ck TRR" :);)

ecoli wrote: »
    Remember having this discussion with you previously about when this knee pain pops up the the common trend. Any chance it is just that?

Don't know, definitely felt a twinge maybe a twist in it while I was running but you're right it has been ongoing for a while. Definitely go to invest in some new footwear anyway as old runners owe me nothing!

In other news my sinus infection has turned into full blow man flu. I don't want to be dramatic but it's probably the worst case since the 1918 flu pandemic. I'm just hoping to see the sunlight of tomorrow morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

In other news my sinus infection has turned into full blow man flu. I don't want to be dramatic but it's probably the worst case since the 1918 flu pandemic. I'm just hoping to see the sunlight of tomorrow morning

Right, if you don't make it til dawn then CL and me will look after your kids, Meno will look after your beer and Handsome Dave will look after your missus ;)

Advertisement