Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Ran 34.22 for 4th. Would have been happy with time and finish while standing on starting line but I ran like a cock. Should have finished 3rd but don't think I had sub 34 in the legs today. Wind messed that up. On holidays and the beer now for the week so will post when I get back but it's a good sign when your head is wrecked with a pb and a few scalps.

Viva la roadrunner

Ps road4ever were robbed of the bac 10k trophy today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ps road4ever were robbed of the bac 10k trophy today ;)
    Would have been in the bag if I handn't run like a cock too. Should have been sub 50...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great stuff RR, love the enthusiasm, bit like that myself id rarely sleep well night before a race running through it all in my head. Savage stuff running a pb in that wind

BHAA 10k Firhouse 11th September
    Have been away on a weeks holidays so only back today. Ran the 10k last Saturday morning then headed away that afternoon. Hope was to run a nice PB to put me in good spirits for the week. PB mission accomplished but man did I run like an absolute cock. I've been thinking about this race all week and I reckon it's in my worst 5 of all time. The time was OK but race tactics were mental.

Plan was to run sub 34. Warming up there was a hefty enough wind that I realised would be in our faces going up the Firhouse road. I planned on being close enough to the front but didn't want to lead and act as a shield for others up the hill. 2k into the race what happens, yep knob-jockey here is pushing the pace at the front even though A) I'm surrounded by a couple of lads who have PBs at least 2 minutes quicker than me and B) also another couple of lads who I've never beaten. I tried to move aside but it was too late the lads were using and abusing my body as a wind shield.

We get to 4k (flattens out wind behind us) and I go from 1st to 9th and what's worst the first 4 gain 50-70 metres on me. I manage to rally and tag on to the group just ahead of me but it's a bit of a struggle. Get to 7k and I'm feeling OK again, Q Firhouse road hill/wind part 2. I'm leading my group into the wind again:rolleyes: Yet again the feckers won't help me so I had a bit of a rush of blood to the head and really hammer up the hill we drop 1 or 2 of the lads and in the process gain on 3rd and 4th result. Course flattens out and I'm wrecked again but I manage to hang onto the lads around me and put in a good last km to finish 4th in 34.22.

If I'd ran according to my plan I think I could have finished 3rd easily. I also think I would have gone under 34 but that's all hearsay. I need to sort out my mental block towards 2 lap courses as well. It's something I always struggle with. This coming cross country season with races of 5-6 loops of mud filled fields should help me overcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats again... For fixing your Garmin.. Your run was allright.. :)

Another PB for me today. ;)

• Advertisement

Congrats again... For fixing your Garmin.. Your run was allright.. :)

Watch was playing up during the race. It's perfect now
    Another PB for me today. ;)

Ah would you stop. Obviously you have ran faster than your "pacing PB" during your sub 3 in Barcelona. I'm very skeptical about your PB run :)

Was going to take the week off running completely but decided to keep the legs and body ticking over with some light runs. Did 35 minutes Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

I ate and drank a lot of rubbish while away and felt like crap yesterday so hoped to run easy for an hour. Checked my newly refurbished Garmin and realised I had ran 5 miles @ 6.30 pace so called it a day at 6 as was worried I'd be in ribbons for Sunday Longish run.

Sunday run went fine, ran 12 around 7.30 pace. Had company for first 9 and it was great but once alone I lost a little interest and started to feel the effects of a weeks worth of rich food and easy living. Called it a day at 12 miles which was fine. Will get back up to 15 next week. Not going to run the Rathfarnham 5k now. Cross country season is just around the corner and it looks like I'm going to a busy boy race wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do you generally run an easy 15 miles at the weekend all year round?

Do you generally run an easy 15 miles at the weekend all year round?

Yep. Assuming I'm not racing that weekend.

Monday: 7 miles @ 7 min/mile pace. A late one today, busy in work and will have to get use to running late ones over the next few weeks. Will have to get quality in at the weekend and see what I can fit in during the week. Work load after Christmas isn't as bad so need to keep ticking over until then. The best way for me to get out the door late at night is to have races constantly on the horizon and I hope to race quite a bit in the coming weeks. The majority will be XC but I'm hoping to maybe run the Simon 5 miler as well. 5 mile attempt mark 2 ????????

I'm definitely doing the Dublin novice XC as for once our club seem to have a team sorted but I'll believe it when I see it. I had thought I was not eligible for the novice XC but based on the criteria they have set out on the application form it seems I am so I've somehow managed to regain my novice virginity without the pain of reconstructive surgery. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday: 7 miles @ 7 min/mile pace. A late one today, busy in work and will have to get use to running late ones over the next few weeks. Will have to get quality in at the weekend and see what I can fit in during the week. Work load after Christmas isn't as bad so need to keep ticking over until then. The best way for me to get out the door late at night is to have races constantly on the horizon and I hope to race quite a bit in the coming weeks. The majority will be XC but I'm hoping to maybe run the Simon 5 miler as well. 5 mile attempt mark 2 ????????

I'm definitely doing the Dublin novice XC as for once our club seem to have a team sorted but I'll believe it when I see it. I had thought I was not eligible for the novice XC but based on the criteria they have set out on the application form it seems I am so I've somehow managed to regain my novice virginity without the pain of reconstructive surgery. Good stuff.

Will see you out at novices so im after been drafted into our team to. Forgot the Simon 5 miler was coming up would have been a nice target for myself to but im signed up to do my level 1 course that day been waiting to do it fopr months ( wonder would they mind me ducking out for a half hour:p)

ecoli wrote: »
    Will see you out at novices so im after been drafted into our team to. Forgot the Simon 5 miler was coming up would have been a nice target for myself to but im signed up to do my level 1 course that day been waiting to do it fopr months ( wonder would they mind me ducking out for a half hour:p)

Yeah looking forward to the simon 5 mile. Would be nice to run a fast one to make up for the robbery of the Irish runner 5 mile. Finishing up the Khyber is tough though so may not be conducive to fast times.

Tuesday: 6 * 1k with 2 minutes recovery. Ran these at my current 10k pace. Found them very tough after the easy week. Hopefully I get get these in a bit more consistently over the coming weeks. A block of 6-8 weeks of these would really bring my fitness on. Ideally the session will be 8 * 1k with 90 seconds recovery. Wore my new XC spikes for the first time. Want to wear these during sessions also to get the legs use to them. Toying with the idea of running a 5km trail race in Donadea on Saturday. Should probably do another session instead but will be alone so this might be a good substitute. It's on a Saturday also so I will be still able to get easy long run in on Sunday.

Was on my way into your log to ask about spikes, following your recent thread, and i see above you got them. Which ones did you go for and was there much selection in runways? Looking at getting a pair on saturday if possible.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Was on my way into your log to ask about spikes, following your recent thread, and i see above you got them. Which ones did you go for and was there much selection in runways? Looking at getting a pair on saturday if possible.

Hey. I got a pair of New balance 239 XC spikes. They set me back 50 quid in Sportsworld in Terenure. That price is pretty competitive as I checked the online price when I got home and I don't think I could have got them cheaper online. Sportsworld didn't have a great selection if I'm honest but I had my eye on the New balance ones for a while so it was a bit of luck. Having asked specifically for XC spikes the sales lady in the shop did try to flog me a pair of shiny white sprinting spikes so have your wits about you if you visit this shop.

I did go into Runways the week before I bought the above but I must have been in my flowers or something as I couldn't have been arsed trying any spikes on once I got in there. From what I seen they had a good selection though.

Wednesday 8 miles in just over an hour. Wasn't feeling the love today but thankfully had company and he was wrecked as well. Seems the intervals kicked the ****e out of us yesterday and I'm glad we didn't push it to 8 as planned. Sometimes less is more.

I'm considering jumping into a race this weekend either 10k or 5k on Saturday. 5k might be a bit mickey mouse based on the field entered at the moment. 10k might be asking a bit too much though as need to get a long run in Sunday. Failing that I'll just do a session of miles on the grass. Probably the best option but I'd love a good blow out in a race.

Thursday 7.5 miles @ 6.50 pace. Another nothing run. Didn't particularly enjoy this for some reason. Had to fit it in on the way home from work and felt a bit rushed so I'm blaming that.

I entered the 10k in Blessington this weekend. Probably a bit optimistic on my behalf as I'm not feeling great but it will keep me off the beer tomorrow night and ensure I get a hard run in the weekend. It does mean my long run Sunday will suffer but I'm heading out Saturday night so it was probably going to suffer either way.

Not expecting a whole lot from the race itself just want to run hard. I hate hearing people say they are only using races as training runs. Normally they are lying through their teeth like the little auld fellah in front of me in the 5 miler who said he hadn't ran in 2 months was using the race as a bit of training, was just hoping to get close to 30 minutes and then proceeded to kick my arse and finish 10-20 seconds ahead of me. Anyway I am using this race as a training run but if I'm feeling good I'll push it as hard as I can.

Saturday: 10km race in Blessington in arounf 34.30. Think I was slightly under will have to wait for final results.

I'm absolutely delighted with this run and was hoping to go under 35. The week off had me feeling **** this week and I had a lousy sleep last night. In fact I woke up this morning (for the final time I woke about 10 times and was wide awake from 2.30-4 am) and decided against running. After brekkie I seen it was a nice day so said I'd head down as the race is only 20 minutes away.

I met Abhainn and Heffsarmy before the race and without any verbal agreement on the line we all ran together for the first 6km. We had another guy for company and it was a great little group. The kms were flying by. Hit the hill at 6.5km and I wanted to push hard up it, I had driven the hill earlier in the car and it didn't seem too bad. I pushed too hard and nearly blew up 3/4 the way up. Our little group started to splinter at that stage. Crested the hill and ran a fast last mile or so. My last km was very fast about 3.02 so I'm happy I was able to pull that out. That last split is basically responsible for me going well under the 35 minute mark. After the finish I was wondering what would have happended if I had pushed harder earlier in the race. I hit the first 5k in 17.30 and the second just sub 17 I think. The second 5 was the tougher part of the course as well. Anyway on reflection no complaints from me. Great run if I may say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

My last km was very fast about 3.02 so I'm happy I was able to pull that out. That last split is basically responsible for me going well under the 35 minute mark. After the finish I was wondering what would have happended if I had pushed harder earlier in the race. I hit the first 5k in 17.30 and the second just sub 17 I think. The second 5 was the tougher part of the course as well. Anyway on reflection no complaints from me. Great run if I may say so myself.

Great run RoadRunner, I thought myself and that lad had dropped you but came back like a train over the last km, tried too give chase but could'nt catch you. Was looking at the splits and 3rd mile was the slowest, reckon if we had pushed harder in the first half sub 34 would have been on. Anyways it was an enjoyable run.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Great run RoadRunner, I thought myself and that lad had dropped you but came back like a train over the last km, tried too give chase but could'nt catch you. Was looking at the splits and 3rd mile was the slowest, reckon if we had pushed harder in the first half sub 34 would have been on. Anyways it was an enjoyable run.

Yeah that third mile was ****e. We must have turned off big time. Lost 20 seconds easily. No wonder the group ahead of us got away from us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Strong running there The Roadrunner and heffsarmy. That was a nice group of us till the hill. I think at around 6k I looked across and all 4 of us were lined across the road.
    As soon as I met the hill I knew the half from last week was still in my legs. I normally relish the hills. Fcuk me that was some final k by you. At one stage at about 8k I thought I was gaining on you again. Unfinished business lad:)

Abhainn wrote: »
    At one stage at about 8k I thought I was gaining on you again. Unfinished business lad:)

Your card is marked. I know what you look like now so you have no chance of doing a ninja on me. Bring it on :)

Sunday: absolute disaster, couldn't get out early and was heading out the door at 9pm but was thwarted yet again. Less said the better

Monday: 8 miles @ 6.52. Legs still a little tired from race.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 6.50. Still a little tired but felt good.

Wednesday: 4 * 1 mile reps with 2 minute recovery.
    Legs felt tired but was easier to run at a higher tempo than the planned 5.40 pace. Was supposed to do 5 reps but as my pace was all over the shop I cut session short as I'm racing XC Sunday. No use in killing myself in training. Not looking forward to XC at all, hate XC and I hate Sunday races. What's more I hate Sunday races that start in the afternoon. What's wrong with 10 or 11 am????

Dublin Simon 5 mile is following week and I'll also do this, it's on the road so I'm looking forward to that.

Thursday 8 miles @ 7.12

Friday 6.5 miles @ 6.54

Sunday 14 miles @ 6.52 First few miles were sensible last 7-8 were sub 6.30, too fast. Was supposed to run Novice XC for club team but as usual the team fell through. If every body else is looking after themselves I may as well concentrate on my own personal goals so got a long run in instead.

Waterford half marathon is the next major goal on my agenda. 74.59 or (much) faster is aim. Looking forward to Simon 5 mile next weekend. No dependance on a team so will run this for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thats a pain in the ass when you plan your weeks around a race that doesn't happen.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Thats a pain in the ass when you plan your weeks around a race that doesn't happen.

Tell me about it. It's not the first time it's happened either. I was asked to ditch the Dublin marathon for the XC season and first day out is a failure. Not really surprised if I'm honest

Monday: Ran for 40 minutes on grass at an easy pace. Needed to take it handy after Sundays run.

Tuesday: Plan was for a session of 8*1ks early in the day but couldn't get out. Didn't manage to get out the door until 9.30pm. Decided against a session as I've found that running hard late in the evening doesn't agree with me. I tend to pick up colds etc. Ran 8 miles @ 6.55 pace which was quicker then I wanted but no complaints as I thought I had lost the opportunity to run at all.

Wednesday: Moved session to today but reduced number of reps to 6 as want to save a bit for Saturdays race. Meant to get out at lunch but couldn't get out again so did the session on the way home from work. I felt like $hit before and during the warm up but once I got into it I was fine. Wind was tough. Reps were low 3.20s and recovery was 90 seconds.

Start of the week has been tough logistically. I hate this time of the year and in the past I wouldn't have pushed myself to get running which in turn develops a vicious cycle. After this Saturday I will ease back on the races. Waterford half is my new short term goal (all going well) and the weekly races effect my lsr and I need to get a block of these together.

Thursday: 8 miles with Stuid_P in the Pheonix park. Purposely didn't wear the watch and was happy I left it at home. Poxy garmin can be great sometimes and a royal pain in the hole others. Was just commenting to SP that I needed to get my act together and get a block of good training in. I feel like I'm running/racing OK now off the back of stuff I did a couple of weeks back. This usually happens and then bang I do a hard race/session and realise work needs to be done (q race Staurday :rolleyes:)

Saturday: Simon 5 mile. Knew the course was a 'hore so decided 27.30 would be acceptable considering training of late and lack of sleep again last night. Warming up I realised there was a bitch of a wind to compliment the 'hore of a course. Long story short finished 3rd in 27.40. Actually very happy with time this as I died a death the last mile. Having said that I didn't feel great from the start and alarm bells were ringing when I got "chicked" by the first lady at the one mile mark. Got into my running eventually and hammered the hill out of the glen and the S bends to build up a big enough lead on guys behind me so they couldn't catch me as I crawled in the last 800 metres. I really really wanted to drop out. Will take a step back from races for a few weeks and concentrate of better quality long runs, slower recovery runs and animal interval sessions. Didn't realise how much the race took out of me until I had a couple of beers this evening, felt like somebody had dropped a ropinol into my glass. Need to get 4-6 good weeks in now.

Good stuff TRR, always find your posts amusing. Nice to finish 3rd despite suffering. Not looking forward to the rohipnol effect later when i head out myself. I've raced 4 of the last 5 weeks myself and as a result my mileage is all over the place and i ve feck all long runs done. Think i ll take a leaf out of your book re a block of training.

• Advertisement

Sunday: ~12 miles in ~90 minutes. Watch was left at home again today, well actually I had it with me and knocked it off. Enjoying running and not bothering about pace.

Delighted to get this run in. Find it hard to run longish the day after a race as I usually push too hard, also wasn't too sure if I'd get out this morning but got a text from a friend of mine at the perfect time. Pace was perfect too. Ran in a different park as well so change of scenery was welcome. Was going to keep runing up to 2 hours but didn't want to overcook it so stopped. 15 miles minimum for the next 4 weekend runs. Need to build and maintain the stamina I've built up over the last 12 months through consistent running and no major breaks as a result of injury (touch wood it will continue).

Advertisement