Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Right, if you don't make it til dawn then CL and me will look after your kids, Meno will look after your beer and Handsome Dave will look after your missus ;)

Jaysus. If its looking bad just go ahead and get the kids binoculars for christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Right, if you don't make it til dawn then CL and me will look after your kids, Meno will look after your beer and Handsome Dave will look after your missus ;)

The threat of you looking after my my kids stopped me walking towards the "light" last night in my sleep. Meno would be doing well to find any beer in my house and Mrs TRR already has a handsome Dave in her life ;)

Just an update on this deadly virus (think it may be actually bacterial but anyway). The amount of fluid I've lost through my nostrils is comparable to the quantity of seminal fluid digger looses in his favourite strip club nightly. Two unsuspecting ladies where in my sneeze zone earlier this morning and dropped dead instantly after they came into contact with this highly variable strain. Obviously I've acted as a vector and passed it on to some men but the fact they don't have double X chromosome syndrome means they can survive but are now experiencing the debilitating conditions I am subjected to! The centres for disease control and prevention are in hourly contact with me as they've said (judging by the face on me) this is the worst case of manflu they've ever encountered!

I've spent the morning praying to God, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Manitou & Santa Claus and I am determined to overcome this infliction.

In other news the pain in my knee is definitely shifting and I'm convinced I may have twisted/spraint some ligaments slightly. The couple of days off is probably a blessing in disguise as I mentioned above as I'd be tempted to run on it to see how it is if I wasn't swimming in snot!

Nothing major training wise to report. Back running on St Stephen's day and have just been tipping along since with runs ranging from 6-10 miles. Man flu turned into a nasty chest infection and while it has shifted it did knock the stuffing out of me. Bit of a pity as I was ticking along nicely coming into the Christmas and had hoped to run a couple of races just for fun. I'm happy to report that the dodgy knee sensations have all but ceased and are never an issue when I run. Sometimes if I get up after sitting down for a while and walk up the stairs it feels odd but not sore or injured. Anyway, it's not an issue now as far as I'm concerned.

Everybody else seems to be doing a 2013 report, heres mine. It was mostly ****e apart from a good series of 5ks early in the year. DCM was one of the worst running experiences of my life. In hindsight WTF was I doing trying to make the start line, should have concentrated on 10k and cross county with an eye of spring marathon but DCM was all I could think about. Fooking idiot. Won't make that excuse ever again. Although 2013 was a bit of a disaster I still ran a 5k and 5 mile PB.

Regards time goals for next year I'm not setting any. I'm going to train as hard as I can for London without getting injured. Times and finishing placings will look after themselves.

I won't be logging anything for a couple of weeks until I'm back in the swing of things.

Happy new year.

71 Days to London

Haven't been logging training as I'm taking a slightly different approach and want to keep my own council. But for those who are interested the rough numbers are below.

January review
    - 30 days running.
    - Biggest mileage month ever. 300+ miles.
    - 1 session. It went very well.
    - 7lb weight loss.
    - 0 units of alcohol (closely linked to point above).
    - 0 races.
    - In terms of intensity average running day score 4.5 (scale of 1-10, 10 being max).
    - 0 double days.
    - 2 * 18 mile runs, 2 * 20 mile runs.
    - Lots of static stretching.
    - Easily the most enjoyable and easiest month of my marathon career.

February goals
    - Introduction of controlled sessions.
    - More miles.
    - No booze.
    - increase LSR
    - Further adjustments to diet.
    - 1 race (5k or 10k). The way dates are falling it will be a 5k.

ecoli use to have a signature that read "to be number one you've got to train like number 2" Thats my mantra!

That's it, will check back in here the end of February!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

300 miles in singles, sly dog kept that quiet, Hell of a month and great consistency, will stand to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super mileage Ninja!
    Interested in your diet adjustments, will contact you about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Getting it done quietly, like it. Super months training by the looks of it. Nice foundation for February!

Very good month TRR. What session did you do?
    TRR wrote: »

That's it, will check back in here the end of February!

you lazy git.

Worst. Log. Ever. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/12544775593/in/set-72157640976638143/

Possibly the greatest race picture ever. I have heard of throwing in the towel but this is a whole new level :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/12544775593/in/set-72157640976638143/

Possibly the greatest race picture ever. I have heard of throwing in the towel but this is a whole new level :D

ha ha. "I believe I can fly I can believe I can touch the sky".

Had a base layer on and it was too warm so had to strip on the road with the help of my very able assistant TBB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Does anyone else think that the love rug looks like Ricky jervais????

ha ha. "I believe I can fly I can believe I can touch the sky".

Had a base layer on and it was too warm so had to strip on the road with the help of my very able assistant TBB :)

TBB is smiling, so obviously approved!

TBB is smiling, so obviously approved!

Im pretty sure i have ED now after seeing that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Im pretty sure i have ED now after seeing that
    Erotic Desire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

article-2276712-04B4DDB6000005DC-367_306x423.jpg

44 Days to London

February review
    - 26 days running.
    - 2 planned rest days
    - Introduction of 2 doubles per week
    - Second biggest mileage month ever, close to 300 miles.
    - Includes 2 biggest mileage weeks ever.
    - Sessions going well but not pushing the boat out.
    - 3lb below normal marathon racing weight
    - 4 pints of alcohol (birthday wild card weekend, 1 of 2 wildcards I had allowed myself, won't be playing the second).
    - 0 races.
    - In terms of intensity average running day score 5 (scale of 1-10, 10 being max).
    - 2 * 20 mile runs, 1 * 25 mile run.
    - Enjoyable month even though weather has tested me.

March goals
    - Introduction of more marathon specific sessions.
    - Stay injury free.
    - No booze.
    - Maintain diet.
    - 1 race, half marathon this weekend.

Half marathon will be treated as an all out race but I'm more concerned with how I feel at the end of it rather than the time alone. Both will be taken into consideration. I haven't done any half marathon specific work. Very happy with where I'm at, slightly ahead of where I hoped to be. That's it, will check back in here the end of March!

- 4 pints of alcohol (birthday wild card weekend, 1 of 2 wildcards I had allowed myself, won't be playing the second).

Just for clarification, that wasn't 4 pints of pure alcohol, more like 4 pints of "non-craft" beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just for clarification, that wasn't 4 pints of pure alcohol, more like 4 pints of "non-craft" beer ;)

That'll put hair on your chest.... Wait! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

73:37 in Bohermeen, 5th place...great run sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Didn't see you there - but then I was expecting a car to skid to a halt beside the start line at 11.59, and you to jump out still pulling on your singlet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

He is pretty fast for an aul lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

RayCun wrote: »
    Didn't see you there - but then I was expecting a car to skid to a halt beside the start line at 11.59, and you to jump out still pulling on your singlet :)

This young one is learning.

Last year: Arrive at a reasonable time but registration and car park is miles from the start so have to sprint up to the start line to make the pacing gig.

This year: Arrive earlier than a reasonable time and smash out a quality half marathon. Job done!

Thanks guys. Yes good day for me and surprised how good I felt. Will recover with easy running for a few days before hitting my final 3.5 weeks of London training. Today is just a stepping stone to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cracking run today Dave. Good, solid, no fuss attitude to training is paying off, it's great to see and something more of us should implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Well done TRR, you deserve a good rant on Ecoli's training log for that performance :D

13 Days to London

March review
    - 29 days running.
    - 2 unplanned rest days. (squits and mothers day!)
    - Backed off on double days mid March as I was finding them counter productive.
    - Mileage close to 300 miles. Lower than I hoped, but in the grand scheme of things works out at 30 miles off what I planned which is nothing in the grand scheme.
    - 3 great MP paced sessions. Really pushed the boat out with these.
    - 7lb below normal marathon racing weight. I'm delighted with this. Giving up the booze is key factor although diet has been good as well.
    - 1 race: Bohermeen half marathon. 80 second PB off marathon training so will take that.
    - 1 park run in 16.11. Bit of a blow out last Saturday. Very happy with that solo time on a tight twisty course. Before DCM I did this the week before and I think it was a mistake. I'm a little sore today and wouldn't like to feel like this next Monday so glad I did it 2 weeks out. Also shifted LSR run to today as from experience I can't do long run after hard 5k session.
    - 2 * 20+ mile runs, 1 * 18 mile run.

April goals
    - Stay sane.
    - Stay injury free.
    - Maintain diet.
    - Rest the body.
    - Finalise race plan. Have an very good idea what I'm going to set out to do. Will confirm at the end of the taper when I finally see what sort of shape I'm in.
    - Continue to refuse to use obscure acronyms in my training log.
    - Regardless of what happens on the day no booze until the afternoon of the 13th of April. Then my training for retaining my beer mile crown commences with a monster session ;)

Hey Ninja Runner

best of luck in London - I've no doubt you are in the form of your life and are in the hunt for a superb time (no pressure).
    Try and smile as you come down the home straight - you were a miserable f£cker in DCM.

Hope you have an appropriate finish line celebration in place??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck with it on Sunday, hope you nail it.

Advertisement