Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Class!!

Where did that pic come from?

Photoshop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Where did that pic come from?

I bought it from the company that did the official photos. There were 53 photos of me so I bought the lot for 60 quid. I'll print one out, sign it and stick it in the post for you. I can apply some red lip stick and give it a kiss too as I kind of guess that's what you're into ;)
    cianc wrote: »

If I had of photoshopped that, there would be a significant bulge in my shorts a la Linford Christie. There would also be 5 scantily clad, extremely hot cheer leaders in the background holding a placard that read G O T R R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TRR wrote: »
    I bought it from the company that did the official photos. There were 53 photos of me so I bought the lot for 60 quid. I'll print one out, sign it and stick it in the post for you. I can apply some red lip stick and give it a kiss too as I kind of guess that's what you're into ;)

If I had of photoshopped that, there would be a significant bulge in my shorts a la Linford Christie. There would also be 5 scantily clad, extremely hot cheer leaders in the background holding a placard that read G O T R R

Cool, thanks!

I'm running low on toilet roll

Cool, thanks!

I'm running low on toilet roll

hmm interesting. Is there something about red lipstick and your anus that reminded you of toilet roll? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

hmm interesting. Is there something about red lipstick and your anus that reminded you of toilet roll? :p

Stop talking/thinking about my anus.... chr!st it was only a few beers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

cianc wrote: »

Surely with photoshop he would have photoshopped out the ripped nipple???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is a fantastic picture.

I guess that by the time of the rest of us going by the photographers have all given up taking the shots like that. Well worth running fast to get a picture like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You look pretty fresh for a bloke who's just covered 26 miles in such a fast time. If they got 53 photos of me running a marathon, I'd be lucky to find one that's a keeper!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You got a mention on the local running blog as being the second runner from the South West, but not from the South West, in London. Also the coaches from one of the other local clubs were enquiring about who you were at the track session last week, them usually being quite quick at signing up anyone who is a bit swift with any kind of Bristol connection and were obviously a bit put out at missing this new fast "local" runner.
    :D:D:D

http://www.easyrunnerblog.co.uk/?p=6701

Right so I'll start logging here again to help get a bit of focus going.

Have had a great few weeks of post marathon bliss. Ran our clubs 5k in 16.30 a few weeks back and I nearly imploded. Legs still very tired after the marathon. Have been eating and drinking like a king (it's showing on the scales :)) and took 10 days off running while on holidays with the family. Anyway feeling back to normal now and looking forward to training during the summer.

At the start of the year I aimed to run a marathon and half marathon PB. I've managed to do both already and am relatively happy with the times from both. Based on that I'm willing to take a bit of a risk and go for broke with DCM this year. I've never attempted to train for a sub 2.30 marathon but I'm going to give it a whirl. If I get injured than so be it. If I make the start line fit and fail than hopefully I'll bag a decent PB.

I'm hoping to build up to two quality sessions a week where as in the past due to injuries etc I only ever tried to do one. I'll push the boat and see where it gets me. As well as DCM I'd also like a good run in the rock 'n' roll half marathon for the simple fact that it is a nice intermediate target and it's the national half marathon.

Races planned for the coming months
    June 28th: Race series 5 mile
    July 20th: Race series 10k
    August 4th: Rock 'n;' roll marathon
    August 23rd: Race series 10 mile

Will take stock then but will definitely do a kilomarathon sometime in September (depending when they fall) and maybe look at doing another half marathon.

Plan for this week is just to get back into the grove with some easy running. Will introduce a little tempo run next week and build slowly from there. Having some back pain at the moment and the root cause is coming from tight hip flexors so working on them myself with plenty of stretching and it is definitely improving.

Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 7.37. Slog of shame. Thank god it was raining and there was feck all in my local park. I was a disgrace out of breath and legs very tight.
    Sunday: 6 mile @ 7.05. Better than Saturday and was moving nicely
    Monday: 6 miles. Handy run along the canal with a friend.
    Tuesday: 7.5 miles @ 6.45. Faster than planned but just went with the pace my running partner was going at. Felt comfortable but feel like a whale :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Right so I'll start logging here again to help get a bit of focus going.

Have had a great few weeks of post marathon bliss. Ran our clubs 5k in 16.30 a few weeks back and I nearly imploded. Legs still very tired after the marathon. Have been eating and drinking like a king (it's showing on the scales :)) and took 10 days off running while on holidays with the family. Anyway feeling back to normal now and looking forward to training during the summer.

At the start of the year I aimed to run a marathon and half marathon PB. I've managed to do both already and am relatively happy with the times from both. Based on that I'm willing to take a bit of a risk and go for broke with DCM this year. I've never attempted to train for a sub 2.30 marathon but I'm going to give it a whirl. If I get injured than so be it. If I make the start line fit and fail than hopefully I'll bag a decent PB.

I'm hoping to build up to two quality sessions a week where as in the past due to injuries etc I only ever tried to do one. I'll push the boat and see where it gets me. As well as DCM I'd also like a good run in the rock 'n' roll half marathon for the simple fact that it is a nice intermediate target and it's the national half marathon.

Races planned for the coming months
    June 28th: Race series 5 mile
    July 20th: Race series 10k
    August 4th: Rock 'n;' roll marathon
    August 23rd: Race series 10 mile

Will take stock then but will definitely do a kilomarathon sometime in September (depending when they fall) and maybe look at doing another half marathon.

Plan for this week is just to get back into the grove with some easy running. Will introduce a little tempo run next week and build slowly from there. Having some back pain at the moment and the root cause is coming from tight hip flexors so working on them myself with plenty of stretching and it is definitely improving.

Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 7.37. Slog of shame. Thank god it was raining and there was feck all in my local park. I was a disgrace out of breath and legs very tight.
    Sunday: 6 mile @ 7.05. Better than Saturday and was moving nicely
    Monday: 6 miles. Handy run along the canal with a friend.
    Tuesday: 7.5 miles @ 6.45. Faster than planned but just went with the pace my running partner was going at. Felt comfortable but feel like a whale :)

Very best of luck with your goal - good to see you back logging again :)

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 6.55. Sweet jesus if there was a run that would push a man into running retirement it was this one. I was starving heading out to run and all I wanted to do was skip it and get some lunch instead. Once I got going it was grand, well it was grand until some of the muppets who had invited themselves along on the run started to spout out ridiculous stuff. Cut the run short and let my ears bleed for the rest of the afternoon.

Thursday: 6 miles @ 6.50. Muppets were heading out at lunch again so I headed out in the evening instead :) Running faster than I should be but I'll blame it on the ipod.

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.20 pace. Nice run with company along the canal. Nothing major to report but I'd be lying if I said my legs weren't a little tired. Back and niggles are well under control so happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Quick question! Great target and definitely a time you are very capable of. This time around, do you feel that a new approach is needed to achieve your target or is it more of a slight tweaking of your London training (adding extra session etc)?

Quick question! Great target and definitely a time you are very capable of. This time around, do you feel that a new approach is needed to achieve your target or is it more of a slight tweaking of your London training (adding extra session etc)?

A good bit of tweaking and even an odd bit of twerking ;) I have a general plan in my head but I'll be basically making it up as I go along. I have a couple of people to bounce ideas off and I'll be adapting training depending on how I respond. Basic idea is to train close to half marathon training up until start of August and then hit marathon specific stuff. That's the idea at the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A good bit of tweaking and even an odd bit of twerking ;) I have a general plan in my head but I'll be basically making it up as I go along. I have a couple of people to bounce ideas off and I'll be adapting training depending on how I respond. Basic idea is to train close to half marathon training up until start of August and then hit marathon specific stuff. That's the idea at the moment anyway!

Twerking? Ah here, leave it out :-)

Sounds like a good plan. So, the focus is on HM rather than 5/10k training for the moment?

Twerking? Ah here, leave it out :-)

Sounds like a good plan. So, the focus is on HM rather than 5/10k training for the moment?

yes, that's the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hey TRR, you won't be too surprised to hear that Room 22 has some opinions on your progress! There's one in particular who ran a bunch of 2.3X's before finally cracking it and running a 2.29 (you know the guy). I'm not qualified to make any comment on it, but I think the gist of it is that he thinks interval miles are the key session. I'm sure that he'd be happy to discuss ;)

macinalli wrote: »
    Hey TRR, you won't be too surprised to hear that Room 22 has some opinions on your progress! There's one in particular who ran a bunch of 2.3X's before finally cracking it and running a 2.29 (you know the guy). I'm not qualified to make any comment on it, but I think the gist of it is that he thinks interval miles are the key session. I'm sure that he'd be happy to discuss ;)

Ah the professor! Pass on my regards. I must pay homage to the home of athletics that is room 22 :)

I don't listen to many people regards my training but he is one of the few! He would have a similar background running wise and training wise to myself so I'll definitely take his advice on board. Hope to see you all soon :)

Saturday: OFF. Was going to hit a park run just for a little blow out but then the mrs wanted to head for a run so being the model husband I skipped the parkrun with the hope of getting out later. Things transpired against me as we had a birthday BBQ in the afternoon so decided just to take the day off.

Sunday: handy 6 mile @ 6.50.

Nice easy week to get back into the grove of things. Body feels good. I'm incredibly happy how well my back has responded to stretching. It's well under control. Around this time last year I picked up a back injury so I'm determined to keep an eye on things.

Hope to increase run distances this week and get a little tempo in tomorrow or Thursday. Will purposely slow the pace of the other runs down, as at the moment they are a little on the fast side. Got away with it last week as majority of runs were 6 miles.

Monday: 13.1 miles @ 7.12 pace. Took advantage of the bank holiday Monday and met dublin_runner in the Phoenix park for this run. Mixture of trail and road. Very enjoyable run and I wasn't as wrecked after it as I thought I would be.

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.12 pace. Just a handy run along the canal

Wednesday: 7 miles including 5 mile tempo in 29.27. First bit of fastish stuff in a while and I'd be lying if I said it felt easy. Breathing and legs were ok but effort levels were quite high :o Had company for first 3 miles of it and he was saying I can't believe this is your MP. I pointed out to him it was my MP but not at the moment. Anyway happy enough to reintroduce this and will build on it.

apart from that nothing to report!

• Advertisement

Thursday: 7 miles @ 7.07. Nice handy run in lovely evening sunshine. Really enjoyed this. Legs feeling good but kept it short because had a session the following day

Friday: 7 miles total with 4 X 1 mile reps with 2 minute jog recovery. Mile reps were 5.36, 5.36, 5.30, 5.30. Decided to introduce the mile reps a week early as legs were feeling good and the tempo gave me a little bit of a shock so decided I wouldn't be pushing the boat too much with 4 handy reps @ 5.30 pace with a decent recovery :rolleyes: Eh it was a little harder than I would have hoped :o First 2 were directly into the wind. Do these along a canal path so when the wind is in your face there is no respite. I could have pushed it to bring pace down to 5.30 but I would have been entering lactic territory so just went by effort. Had planned doing the first 3 into the wind but said feck that and changed direction a mile early, so obviously for the second 2 I had the wind at my back and it made a big difference. Decent session, comfortably uncomfortable without blowing a gasket but wouldn't have wanted (or being able to) to go much faster!

Saturday: 6 @ 7.20. Just a handy recovery around my area. Was late in the afternoon and after a hectic morning with the kids I actually wasn't in the mood as I was pretty tired but glad I headed out as was another beautiful day.

Sunday: 8 @ 7.03. Handy run around my local park on grass. Legs are fine but I have a lot of hip, arse and back tightness so will work on that this evening.

All in all a decent week. Nothing stellar but it was solid and had all the key ingredients. Weight has started to come down and my diet is back in check so another couple of weeks with less baggage and a little more aerobic fitness I expect the mile reps will be comfortably down into the low 5.20s with the same effort. Next week is a little up in the air. Doing 1k reps early in the week but haven't decided if I'm going to do a tempo on Thursday or taking in a parkrun as part of a modified tempo session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thursday: 7 miles @ 7.07. Nice handy run in lovely evening sunshine. Really enjoyed this. Legs feeling good but kept it short because had a session the following day

Friday: 7 miles total with 4 X 1 mile reps with 2 minute jog recovery. Mile reps were 5.36, 5.36, 5.30, 5.30. Decided to introduce the mile reps a week early as legs were feeling good and the tempo gave me a little bit of a shock so decided I wouldn't be pushing the boat too much with 4 handy reps @ 5.30 pace with a decent recovery :rolleyes: Eh it was a little harder than I would have hoped :o First 2 were directly into the wind. Do these along a canal path so when the wind is in your face there is no respite. I could have pushed it to bring pace down to 5.30 but I would have been entering lactic territory so just went by effort. Had planned doing the first 3 into the wind but said feck that and changed direction a mile early, so obviously for the second 2 I had the wind at my back and it made a big difference. Decent session, comfortably uncomfortable without blowing a gasket but wouldn't have wanted (or being able to) to go much faster!

Saturday: 6 @ 7.20. Just a handy recovery around my area. Was late in the afternoon and after a hectic morning with the kids I actually wasn't in the mood as I was pretty tired but glad I headed out as was another beautiful day.

Sunday: 8 @ 7.03. Handy run around my local park on grass. Legs are fine but I have a lot of hip, arse and back tightness so will work on that this evening.

All in all a decent week. Nothing stellar but it was solid and had all the key ingredients. Weight has started to come down and my diet is back in check so another couple of weeks with less baggage and a little more aerobic fitness I expect the mile reps will be comfortably down into the low 5.20s with the same effort. Next week is a little up in the air. Doing 1k reps early in the week but haven't decided if I'm going to do a tempo on Thursday or taking in a parkrun as part of a modified tempo session.

Thursday Morning tempo perhaps? :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Thursday Morning tempo perhaps? :D

maybe, but will I be wasting my time hooking up with you after your excesses?:D

maybe, but will I be wasting my time hooking up with you after your excesses?:D

Million dollar question (not really given I puked my ring up the last tempo I did with you and that was when I was in full shape :D)

To be fair I am in a much better place than previous returns but will admit I am a little sluggish alright not doubt about it.

Million dollar question (not really given I puked my ring up the last tempo I did with you and that was when I was in full shape :D)

To be fair I am in a much better place than previous returns but will admit I am a little sluggish alright not doubt about it.

right well if your up for it, I'm planning 6 around 5.50ish pace

right well if your up for it, I'm planning 6 around 5.50ish pace

I actually should be able to manage that (should being the operative word :D)

I actually should be able to manage that (should being the operative word :D)

grand I'll talk to you about it on Wednesday. I'll text you regards that also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

quick question - the mile reps you done, was the recovery period just an arbitrary number of was it 'short' to promote a certain physiological response?? (will be doing mile reps soon, so need to know your thinking :) )

quick question - the mile reps you done, was the recovery period just an arbitrary number of was it 'short' to promote a certain physiological response?? (will be doing mile reps soon, so need to know your thinking :) )

Was arbitrary in the sense that when I did mile reps with my old club (your current club) we always got 2 minutes recovery. Nothing scientific about it but it worked for 3 middle distance Olympians so it must have been all right ;) I'll keep the recovery the same going forward but increase the number of reps and hopefully bring the times down! Once I hit decent times I'll reduce the recovery.

• Advertisement

Monday: 8 miles @ 7 minute pace. Really enjoyed this run as had company and was in stitches laughing for the majority of it! Love runs like this. However got back to changing rooms and allergies started to kick in. Those on top of a minor sinus infection had me banjaxed Monday evening.

Tuesday: Dayoff. ManFever :eek: The only thing worse that gets close to manflu is male hayfever. 10 times more lethal and painful than childbirth and probably half as painful as manflu. I was in a heap Tuesday morning. Had the allergies under control but had to take the day off to ensure they didn't flare up again. Respiratory tract was a bit like myself ...... very sensitive!

Wednesday: 8 miles total with 6*1k (3.16 average) with 90 second jog recovery. Was suppose to do 8 reps but had a spectacular blowup. Could be heard all over North county Kildare. Plan was for 3.20-22 pace but I couldn't get the pacing right early on at all and was a little too exuberant. 6th one was painful and 250 metres into the 7th I knew I was cooked. I'm just trying to introduce the 2 sessions a week and this is just week 2 so no need for heroics at this stage. Still it's a little disappointing but that's just a reflection on my current fitness levels. I'm now expecting 150 male A/R runners to give me some advice and soothing like ososlo got on her recent ditched session. If I don't I'll know you are all a shower of horn dogs!

viva la resistance!

Advertisement