Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Probably not. I plan on doing a 6 mile tempo Tuesday all right so it fits in but I'd be afraid I'd get carried away and run too fast so might be better getting it done earlier in the day.

I'd say you'd be grand, at the longer distance the pace shouldn't be too hot. Would your pride not let seanie win if it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

so I threw in a couple of laps to add a bit of class to their training field. Easily broke their 800 metre record and probably their 400, 200 and 100 records too.

yeah, you know that track is only 300m :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be grand, at the longer distance the pace shouldn't be too hot. Would your pride not let seanie win if it was?

I'd just end up going quicker than I wanted to be honest.

Monday: 10.5 miles @ 7.20 pace. Nice handy run along the canal. Legs feeling surprisingly good considering the state they were in Sunday. Had pencilled in either a 7 + 5 double day or 10 mile single day. The double would have been more beneficial and is what I originally planned but I had company and felt good so decided to go with a single in case something popped up later and I couldn't get out.

Tuesday: 10 miles with 6 miles in 35.15. Carbon copy of last Friday's effort. Thankfully the effort levels were well down of Friday. Had planned on hitting 6 minute miles but couldn't keep the pace at that, kept dipping below as it actually felt more comfortable at a slightly faster pace. Not a bad complaint I suppose and hopefully it won't have an adverse effect on long run Thursday or race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Did I ever tell you about the 48 yr old who ran a sub 4:20 mile? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Did I ever tell you about the 48 yr old who ran a sub 4:20 mile? ;)

Stazza ?

Now I definitely know it's you.

Now I definitely know it's you.

Rashers???

perhaps some sort of test? Tell us Billy, how do you feel about these pictures?

SallyGap-Snow-LD.jpg

56894401-kim-st-pierre-charline-labonte-and-sarah-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QN2%2FH0Sieq%2BZEwwL5zRHUTo6WworJbRoXrMJAExDdAHF

Bros-Pearse.jpg

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7 minute mile pace. Did this in my local park. Have a couple of days off and was out with the family all morning. Had hoped to get out before we headed out and again in the evening but I rolled over when the alarm went off. Did this with a belly full of goodies so was less than ideal :o Very sluggish start and legs weren't great but got moving nicely after 10 minutes or so. And for those of you who think I'm a $hit head, it's now official I am ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91309284&postcount=2394

Thursday: 16.5 miles @ 7.05 pace. From the outset I was not in the form for this. Had hoped to meet up with a couple of people for part of it as I was already dreading the thought of it last night. No one was available so I headed out solo this morning. Legs were ok until about 10 miles and then I got quite tired very quickly. Had to make an emergency stop at a cafe to get a bottle of lucozade into me and just about made it home. Found the hot temperatures tough.

• Advertisement

Friday: 6.5 miles @ 7.30 pace. Nice handy run along the canal bank and grass fields. Calf was very tight after Thursdays long run and had got a massage on it the previous evening. Had definitely loosened out but was still tight and tender.

Saturday: 4.5 miles @ 7.15 pace. Cut this short. Calf still very tight and a little worried how it felt. I've suffered from shin splints in the past and they generally start off as feeling like how I've done the last 2 days. Decided I'd skip the 10k on Sunday. Very disappointed as was really looking forward to this race but looking forward it's the sensible thing to do. Sometimes you've got to practice what you preach!

Sunday: OFF

Calf is feeling 50% better today and with more stretching and improvement today I expect to be back running again tomorrow! I'm not taking any risks with it though. I'd rather take a few days off then miss weeks of training by rushing back and doing a run that the calf isn't ready for.

Monday: 6 @ 6.56 pace. Run on grass. Calf tight.
    Tuesday: 11 @ 6.57. Run on grass. Calf tight but better than Monday.
    Wednesday: 9 @ 7.14. Run on canal bank and grass. Calf tightness getting worse!
    Thursday: 6 miles @ 7 minute pace. Stupid f-ing calf
    Friday: 9 miles. Was supposed to race the Donadea 5k but calf wasn't up for it so took it relatively handy instead.
    Saturday: 20 minutes. Calf still tight so did a U-turn for home, time to take action and try and remedy this calf problem.
    Sunday: OFF

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that I should have taken a few days off last week. Calf is tight and I can run on it. It's not painful but is uncomfortable. I can deal with uncomfortable but I started to get referral pain in the foot and the front of my shin so I skipped my long run on Sunday and won't run until I've well and truly got rid of this niggle. Probably being over cautious but I've had bad lower leg problems before and they've led to months out with injury. Been self coached is a pain in the arse at times like this because I needed somebody to tell me to ease off and rest last week. It's what I would have advised/prescribed. At least I'm practicing what I preach even if it's a bit late!

I doubt I'm going to race rock n roll now. I'll see how leg is later in the week and if it's 100% I'll run the half marathon but may use it as a long tempo as don't want to take any risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear about the niggle/injury TRR. So how will you deal with it out of interest? Physio,massage,foam rolling,stretching, rest or a combination of everything. Is this something you've had before and know what'll fix it? Or something new and a bit of a mystery?

Incidentally, why are you self coached? Would have thought a talented runner like yourself would be under the wing of an experienced coach? Is it a personal preference?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the niggle/injury TRR. So how will you deal with it out of interest? Physio,massage,foam rolling,stretching, rest or a combination of everything. Is this something you've had before and know what'll fix it? Or something new and a bit of a mystery?

Incidentally, why are you self coached? Would have thought a talented runner like yourself would be under the wing of an experienced coach? Is it a personal preference?

A bit of everything to be honest. Pain is coming from junction where calf and tendon meet behind the knee. Have already got some Physio on it and may get some more this week. I'll definitely foam roll but will probably stretch it more as I've been known to overdo the rollingbinbyhe past and aggravate the muscle. It's something I've had in the past and will be grand as long as I'm sensible.

On the coaching thing. It's a personal preference. I get injured easy enough and wouldn't be able to stick fully to what some one else would probably prescribe. It's not ideal but basically I'm uncoachable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

It's not ideal but basically I'm uncoachable :)

Nail on the head there, he's too bloody stubborn and won't take advise is about the jist of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Just noticed both TRR and Billy Mills have closed their accounts, is there a Tallaght ac boycott of boards going on or have I missed something over the last few days.

Pity as I wouldn't post much but am a serious lurker and really enjoyed their logs, both were excellant posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Weetabix wrote: »
    Just noticed both TRR and Billy Mills have closed their accounts, is there a Tallaght ac boycott of boards going on or have I missed something over the last few days.

Pity as I wouldn't post much but am a serious lurker and really enjoyed their logs, both were excellant posters.

Seen that last night myself..
    I'm hoping TRR is just going off radar for a while to sort out that calf injury/niggle and getting down to some serious training without the influence of boards and hope he is back at a future date.

It's strange, the two of them were high up on my favourite posters list but when I came here first I mistakenly thought they were obnoxious cnuts :D

I await their return to these parts, hopefully sooner rather than later...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Sat: 6 miles easy finished off with some strides
    Sun: 10k in 35.20. Ran this solo and was quite humid. Nothing stellar but a good reintroduction to a bit of effort.
    Mon: 9 miles @ 7.20ish pace. Legs not too bad after yesterdays effort
    Tue: 8 miles total with 4 * 2k on the track. Helped someone I coach pace these. A good workout.
    Wed: 7 miles @ 7.11 pace legs very stiff. Been a while since I've done anything on the track and the constant turning on the bends did my lower legs no favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sun: 10k in 35.20. Ran this solo and was quite humid. Nothing stellar but a good reintroduction to a bit of effort.
    Tue: 8 miles total with 4 * 2k on the track. Helped someone I coach pace these. A good workout.
    Wed: 7 miles @ 7.11 pace legs very stiff. Been a while since I've done anything on the track and the constant turning on the bends did my lower legs no favours!

You're some buachaill for the reincarnations........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Finally a user name to match your personality and running ability :P

• Advertisement

This is like one of those moments in WWE when the undertaker suddenly and shockingly reappears after apparently being retired or dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Is DCM '14 still the target? Are you on course for the 2:29?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

"If you come at the king, you best not miss"

Omar Little

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Haha. Good to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

ecoli wrote: »
    Finally a user name to match your personality and running ability :P

yeah yeah whatever. Saccharomyces would be a better username than ecoli for you! Saccharomyces is the most prevalent microbe to grow on human turds. Basically the scum of human ****!. Catching up on your log just there though and maybe ecoli is suitable as it's given me a bout of diarrhoea!
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Is DCM '14 still the target? Are you on course for the 2:29?

No unfortunately. I'm not going to run at all. At the start of the year I had planned on spring marathon and then some xc and shorter races for the rest of the year. I got caught up in the DCM buzz but the injury helped knock that enthusiasm out of me. To be honest, it's a blessing in disguise because it's giving me a chance to take a step back, reduce the mileage and just have some fun. I'll race a bit and target a couple of races to keep me honest. I'm doing London again next year so that's the A-goal. Hopefully sub 2.30 will be the target but won't make a call on that until February when I see how things are progressing.

Great run the weekend and epic report. Well done and welcome to the sub 3 club ;) Gavlor will be along shortly with your gold plated membership card, hooker pass and free beer card. Be careful not get mugged by meno. He's persona non grata in the 2.XX club and has been doing his best (which has actually been his worst) to gain entry for the last few years. He'll try and rob your pass if you're not careful!

ha ha ha - thought it was an imposter for a minute - but thats a class name. Knew you couldn't keep away.

Pity about DCM - you should still run around with us 3 for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ha ha ha - thought it was an imposter for a minute - but thats a class name. Knew you couldn't keep away.

Pity about DCM - you should still run around with us 3 for the craic!

No. He's missed the entry. Bad enough that I have to listen to you two morons blabbing on without throwing tallafornia ted into the mix

Maybe he could get in as a pacer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Am I the only one who hadn't even realised he'd gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

menoscemo wrote: »
    This is like one of those moments in WWE when the undertaker suddenly and shockingly reappears after apparently being retired or dead.

Or that Bobby Ewing moment in the shower for those of us who are that old ..............swear I was a kid then...

Welcome back TRR !

Advertisement