Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Gavlor wrote: »
    No. He's missed the entry. Bad enough that I have to listen to you two morons blabbing on without throwing tallafornia ted into the mix

yeah whatever, you just want to be alpha pacer. There will be a moment probably around mile 16 or so when someone from the pace group asks the pacers their marathon PBs. Gavlor wants to be the sole sub 3hr pacer ;) By that stage the pacers will be down to two anyway. Meno having dropped out at mile 15. AMK will still be on course for the 3.39 but will lose track of what mile he is at around mile 25 and run a 3.42.

We'll have to come up with an alternative bet for the day! I'm buying you 3 tools a pint just because I'm not running!
    Am I the only one who hadn't even realised he'd gone?

Can you not read boards.ie from your sick bed or something?

Thursday: 7 miles total with a little pyramid in the middle. Reps were 2-2-3-3-3-2-2 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery between each. Did this last week too although the first and last rep were 1 minute each. Will build this up slowly week on week. I've no interest in flogging myself doing mile or kilometre reps but realise I need to give the legs a little shock now and again. Therefore, this session suits me down to the ground. You don't get caught up with times or paces and I just run off effort.

Friday: 10 miles in 72-73 minutes. Nice enjoyable run. The legs are feeling quite good and was happy at how good this felt. Manage to lose another two nipples due to chaffing though, thankfully my balls were unaffected ;)

Will take it handy tomorrow and I'm running the novice XC on Sunday. I'm probably one of the few novices with 25 years membership to an athletics club and a couple of sub 2.40 marathons :) I absolutely hate cross country but am looking forward to this. Totally unprepared but should be fun as we have a decent enough team. It's on the Munich loop so will bring back some awful child hood memories. Two goals for the weekend, firstly beat ecoli and then secondly rub his face in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thursday: 7 miles total with a little pyramid in the middle. Reps were 2-2-3-3-3-2-2 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery between each. Did this last week too although the first and last rep were 1 minute each. Will build this up slowly week on week. I've no interest in flogging myself doing mile or kilometre reps but realise I need to give the legs a little shock now and again. Therefore, this session suits me down to the ground. You don't get caught up with times or paces and I just run off effort.

Friday: 10 miles in 72-73 minutes. Nice enjoyable run. The legs are feeling quite good and was happy at how good this felt. Manage to lose another two nipples due to chaffing though, thankfully my balls were unaffected ;)

Will take it handy tomorrow and I'm running the novice XC on Sunday. I'm probably one of the few novices with 25 years membership to an athletics club and a couple of sub 2.40 marathons :) I absolutely hate cross country but am looking forward to this. Totally unprepared but should be fun as we have a decent enough team. It's on the Munich loop so will bring back some awful child hood memories. Two goals for the weekend, firstly beat ecoli and then secondly rub his face in it!

Normally I wouldn't even factor in your thoughts in a race but the fact that I am on your radar and you been following my only 2 sessions on grass this year has me sensing fear. :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Normally I wouldn't even factor in your thoughts in a race but the fact that I am on your radar and you been following my only 2 sessions on grass this year has me sensing fear. :D

Sorry i will rephrase my final statement

Two certainties for the weekend, firstly I will beat ecoli and then secondly I will rub it in his face!

;) Setting myself up for a hammering here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Am I the only one who hadn't even realised he'd gone?

Post of the year....

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Post of the year....

Where's the unlike button :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Will there be a race report..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ultraman1 wrote: »

Only if he beats me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ecoli wrote: »
    Only if he beats me :P

I'll give an unbiased third party report if I can get anywhere near the feckers

....go Luke! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

From the sneaki race he did last week

• Advertisement

I'll give an unbiased third party report if I can get anywhere near the feckers

....go Luke! :p

I thought you'd be ahead of us Kiely? Have you been injured lately?

From the sneaki race he did last week

NO

I thought you'd be ahead of us Kiely? Have you been injured lately?

I think we're all in the same boat here in that we're only recently after getting back in to some decent training. I took the most of the summer off, firstly because I was on work, then because of lack of interest and lastly because I was on away on holiday. Hoping, come the Leinster Novice that I should be going well but I'm not going too badly recently so I'll give ye a run for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I think we're all in the same boat here in that we're only recently after getting back in to some decent training. I took the most of the summer off, firstly because I was on work, then because of lack of interest and lastly because I was on away on holiday. Hoping, come the Leinster Novice that I should be going well but I'm not going too badly recently so I'll give ye a run for your money.

Btw kiely how'd the trip to God's country go?

dukeraoul wrote: »
    dukeraoul wrote: »

I was honestly contemplating when was the last time I was down in Tipperary, when I realised that your interpretation of God's country and my interpretation of God's country probably differ somewhat ;).

The report is a little delayed but here goes..

US East Coast Trip

Background

I've been holidaying since I was about six years old. Started off with just some short trips around Ireland. Kerry and Sligo being particular highlights. In my teenage years, the usual life issues got in the way of my holidaying. Not wanting to seem like a loser in front of my friends by going on holidays with my parents, having no money to go on my own holidays, general teenage angst and lack of enthusiasm for anything etc.

I took a big step up in my holidaying during college with my first trips out of the country. Started off with a week long trip to Paris and soon enough I was travelling to farther flung places like Berlin and Amsterdam. I took to the longer distance travelling really well and by the end of college, I felt adequately prepared to try my first holiday on a different continent. The trip to Australia and Asia was great. It was tough going at times but I learned a lot about myself and felt I handled the step up in holidaying distance really well. The usual issues such as home sickness, different foods and different climates didn't adversely affect me but by the end of the holiday I was ready to stick to the shorter distances for a while.

The Holiday

I knew I was ready to go on a long distance holiday, but where? Of course, I turned to Boards for advice and was advised that this place called America was a great holidaying destination and particularly the quaint city of Boston. Wherever did that DrQuirky go? He was such a nice guy :D.

Days 1-4

Days 1-4 were in New York. Unfortunately most of my living in the previous few months had been in Dublin where the ban on high rise buildings left me wholly unprepared for the landscape ahead. I shouldn't have feared, as far from being a detraction from the holiday, I found the skyscrapers awesome. My hydration tactics were also a worry before I left. In Dublin I had done all my drinking using Heineken. Here in New York, each pub had a wide array of these so called craft beers for hydration. I found the taste strong at first but after a day or two, I got used to the change and its fair to say that I was a complete convert by the end of the holiday.

Days 5-7

After the initial holidaying in New York, I had gotten used to the cultural changes. My tipping technique at each of the establishments I dined or drinked in was now well honed. It was time to move on to Boston. After the long bus journey to get there, we were well in need of hydration so we headed straight to the drinking station recommended by DrQ. Can honestly say, this was one of the better pubs we ever drank in. My initial assumption that it was a pub run by Polish-Americans proved incorrect when I discovered it was a loving dedication to one of my favourite deadbeat authors Charles Bukowski. This was a nice surprise and the food and beer were amazing. Well hydrated, we were ready to take on the city. Felt more at home in a city that saw a bit more value in preserving its history. All my living back in Ireland was finally coming in useful. Having experienced some of the more unique American cultural activities such as a Red Sox - Yankees game and the Science Museum :cool:, we were ready to move on again.

Days 8-11

Some more sage advice from DrQ brought us to Portland, Maine. My pre-race holiday tactic was to take it a little easier during this stage. Some canoeing, cycling and a lot of eating and drinking really helped re-charge the batteries and before we knew it we were ready for one of the tougher sections of the holiday. A 10 hour trip to Philly. We made sure to get plenty of pre-hydration in. Of course DrQ came up trumps again here with his suggestion of the Great Lost Bear. With 78 beers on tap, we weren't left thirsty.

Day 12

This was always going to be the tough section of the holiday. A 10 hour overnight trip to Philly, arriving at 5am and then keeping her lit for the rest of the day. Journey was made worse by the horrendous state of the roads, which was like trying to fall asleep during an earthquake. Fortunately the quality of the city made it all very easy. Fueled by Philly Cheese steaks and some scrumptious Italian sandwiches, we toured what is an unbelievable city. Some 'Citywides' ($4 beer and shot) that evening left the last few hours a little hazy but certainly up there with the best 24 hours from my life.

Day 13-16

The holiday brought us back in to New York for the last few days up to the holiday finish. Knowing that the 'A' goal of having a good time was in the bag, we just sat back and relaxed and let the city bring what it was going to bring. The fuelling strategy had worked excellently so far so we stuck with the craft beers and the gross food portions for the last few days.

Where next?

After a great trip, I think I'll need to let the body recuperate for a while. Have some short trips to London and Berlin planned to keep me holiday sharp but it will be next summer at least before I make such a long trip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Love it. :)

Saturday: No running, could have got out late in the evening but with race the following day they would have been just counterproductive junk miles.

Sunday: Dublin novice XC. Finished mid 20s. Was a real shock to the system. I'm glad I ran it but really wanted to drop out at half way. My lack of interval training etc really showed. Leg speed wasn't great and found it hard to maintain a rhythm with the rolling hills of the Munich lap. Salmonella was ahead of me at the half way stage but luckily enough I was able to get ahead of him ;) Based on others finishing position I ran well and was finished roughly where I would have expected to be. A lot of work needs to be done on leg speed over the coming months but looking forward to it.

Monday: 6 easy miles along the canal. Legs were surprisingly OK. Hamstrings a little tight but felt better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Good result. Any more XC planned? I have never run cross country. I don't think I am really built for it but might give it a go.

It looks very painful though. In your opinion how does it compare to road running? Are there any similarities?!

Good result. Any more XC planned? I have never run cross country. I don't think I am really built for it but might give it a go.

I'm definitely not built for it either. Generally it suits smaller light guys, especially if the course is technical and muddy. There are exceptions like Mark Keneally and Joe Sweeney though so you might surprise yourself. Yes I'll definitely do some more cross. Dublin intermediate and maybe something else if I can find something suitable. I'll check out the BHAA races I guess.
    It looks very painful though. In your opinion how does it compare to road running? Are there any similarities?!

It is excruciating :) it's similar to road running in that you run :) It's very different though, even yesterday on a very dry course with lots of straights there were plenty of areas where you lose your natural rhythm. I find it great for building a bit of strength and definitely makes road races seem much easier.

I find it great for building a bit of strength and definitely makes road races seem much easier.

That's the bit that interest me. I think I would die a quick death if I threw myself into it. I probably lack that leg strength.

I can really see the appeal but the whole thing looks to be a complete battle from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7 minute pace. Legs feeling good and was zipping along nicely.

Wednesday: 8 miles total with a pyramid thrown in the middle. Reps were 1-2-2-3-4-3-2-2-1 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery between each rep. Felt good and was cruising for the longer reps but when I tried to push the pace on the shorter reps (especially the last one) I could notice I was missing a couple of gears. Something that needs t be addressed. I was out sprinted by a young lad who was close to death last Sunday!

Thursday: 12 miles @ 7.11 pace. Did this with one of the few people, who has opened and closed more boards.ie accounts then myself! Enjoyable enough we were feeling GROOVY although my legs do feel a bit tight this evening.

Friday: 7 miles @ 7.11 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs feeling ok.

Saturday: 8 miles total with a 5k park run in 16.33. Delighted with this was aiming for 16.50 so wore the watch to keep an eye on my splits and headed to Marlay park as I thought there may be a couple of people to pace off/chase. A young lad (like real young 15/16, not ecoli young ;)) tore off at the start, I had been warned about him and I think he is the lad who tore off on TBB when he ran this a couple of weeks back. I ran with him until 2k and then pulled away on the hill, he ended up a minute behind at the finish. Was running solo from this point but the guy on the lead bike is a club mate and he kept on easing off so I could catch up with him so to be honest I felt like I was constantly chasing someone. Anyway very happy with the time and it's a 26 second improvement on the time I ran in Marlay 6 weeks ago. Using the RER calculator that 16.33 is easily a 16.15 on a better course with someone to run off!

Sunday: 6 miles @ 7.11 pace. Easy run, tried to keep the pace at 7.30 plus but couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday: 7 miles @ 7.11 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs feeling ok.

Saturday: 8 miles total with a 5k park run in 16.33. Delighted with this was aiming for 16.50 so wore the watch to keep an eye on my splits and headed to Marlay park as I thought there may be a couple of people to pace off/chase. A young lad (like real young 15/16, not ecoli young ;)) tore off at the start, I had been warned about him and I think he is the lad who tore off on TBB when he ran this a couple of weeks back. I ran with him until 2k and then pulled away on the hill, he ended up a minute behind at the finish. Was running solo from this point but the guy on the lead bike is a club mate and he kept on easing off so I could catch up with him so to be honest I felt like I was constantly chasing someone. Anyway very happy with the time and it's a 26 second improvement on the time I ran in Marlay 6 weeks ago. Using the RER calculator that 16.33 is easily a 16.15 on a better course with someone to run off!

Sunday: 6 miles @ 7.11 pace. Easy run, tried to keep the pace at 7.30 plus but couldn't.

Nothin ****ty about that run TRR_the_turd! Well done.
    Are you a proper auld lad or you transiting to auld lad status?

What's an RER calculator?

TbL

RER?

Do the mods know what this stands for? :P

Nothin ****ty about that run TRR_the_turd! Well done.
    Are you a proper auld lad or you transiting to auld lad status?

I'm the same vintage as Doc McStuffins or whatever he is calling himself these days. I'm obviously much better looking than him and look 10 years younger than him as well!
    What's an RER calculator?
    RER?

Ah lads, can't believe you don't know about the RER calculator. The term RER calculator was devised by myself 6 months ago in an attempt to be more progressive. Myself and about three other people know about the RER, therefore I thought it would be acceptable use it and drop it into conversations without an explanation ;)

The RER refers to a guy I know, let's call him Randy for the sake of his identity. The RER calculator is the "Randy Equivalent Race calculator". After a race Randy will always say that on a different day with better conditions or a faster course he would have ran X, Y or Z. The RER always improves Randy's times. For example if he runs a PB you'll never hear him say "yeah but it was perfect today and the course was fast, I'd never normally run that fast". The RER is only ever used to improve Randy's performances and amazingly it usually rounds his times down to a level that is generally faster than the person he is talking to. It's a chaotic dynamic calculator that likes to ignore Bayesian probabilities/priors. Greg McMillian's equivalent performance calculator has nothing on the RER.

I intend on using random acronyms like this in the future so get with the programme people!

#RER

I'm the same vintage as Doc McStuffins or whatever he is calling himself these days. I'm obviously much better looking than him and look 10 years younger than him as well!

Ah lads, can't believe you don't know about the RER calculator. The term RER calculator was devised by myself 6 months ago in an attempt to be more progressive. Myself and about three other people know about the RER, therefore I thought it would be acceptable use it and drop it into conversations without an explanation ;)

The RER refers to a guy I know, let's call him Randy for the sake of his identity. The RER calculator is the "Randy Equivalent Race calculator". After a race Randy will always say that on a different day with better conditions or a faster course he would have ran X, Y or Z. The RER always improves Randy's times. For example if he runs a PB you'll never hear him say "yeah but it was perfect today and the course was fast, I'd never normally run that fast". The RER is only ever used to improve Randy's performances and amazingly it usually rounds his times down to a level that is generally faster than the person he is talking to. It's a chaotic dynamic calculator that likes to ignore Bayesian probabilities/priors. Greg McMillian's equivalent performance calculator has nothing on the RER.

I intend on using random acronyms like this in the future so get with the programme people!

#RER

Is there an online resource for this. I feel I could benefit from this calculator. For example, I ran a bad race yesterday and I feel if a few factors had been in my favour then I could have performed a lot better:
    1. I stopped training for 4 months over the summer
    2. The race was on grass. I don't like running on grass
    3. There was an ever so slight wind
    4. I never felt like dropping out at any stage. This is usually a bad sign.
    5. There wasn't a group of runners, running at the exact pace that I wanted to run at.
    6. I had to run around some runners. They wouldn't even get out of my way. What's the deal with that?
    7. The course wasn't perfectly flat

Stick that in to your calculator and see what percentage I can knock off my time.

Thanks.

Is there an online resource for this. I feel I could benefit from this calculator. For example, I ran a bad race yesterday and I feel if a few factors had been in my favour then I could have performed a lot better:
    1. I stopped training for 4 months over the summer
    2. The race was on grass. I don't like running on grass
    3. There was an ever so slight wind
    4. I never felt like dropping out at any stage. This is usually a bad sign.
    5. There wasn't a group of runners, running at the exact pace that I wanted to run at.
    6. I had to run around some runners. They wouldn't even get out of my way. What's the deal with that?
    7. The course wasn't perfectly flat

Stick that in to your calculator and see what percentage I can knock off my time.

Thanks.

We tried to standardise it and create a web app, but the chaotic properties of the RER meant it was impossible to get reproducible results, so we abandoned the project!

However based on the information you have provided me. I can tell you that you would have broken the road 4 mile world record based on the amount of negative variables you encountered. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great training of late there Mr turdmeister, though in my humble opinion you are seriously lacking in crest load miles. More crest load miles and you might get out of your current rut and move on to the next level. Good luck with it.
    #clm=win

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great training of late there Mr turdmeister, though in my humble opinion you are seriously lacking in crest load miles. More crest load miles and you might get out of your current rut and move on to the next level. Good luck with it.
    #clm=win

Not exactly great training at the moment. But injury free training. And anyone who trains injury free for a while with a variety of running paces and distances should see improvements especially someone coming back from a layoff or a beginner! I'll vary the distances and paces more in the coming weeks. If I can run a sub 16 minute 5k by the turn of the year I'll be in the desired shape before I start marathon training in January. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not exactly great training at the moment. But injury free training. And anyone who trains injury free for a while with a variety of running paces and distances should see improvements especially someone coming back from a layoff or a beginner! I'll vary the distances and paces more in the coming weeks. If I can run a sub 16 minute 5k by the turn of the year I'll be in the desired shape before I start marathon training in January. Fingers crossed.

No way man, it can't be that simple, it must be all about using a lydiard base and a canaova flow system followed by AT and CL miles combinined with lots of Myrtling

Advertisement