Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ha ha. Yes I've run the result through the RER a couple of times and got conflicting results. Afterwards I felt that if I had company I could have gone sub 33. However it is a fast course and conditions were near perfect so I can't complain.
    fast course....no I didnt measure it....Well done and see u next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super run and a fantastic time - great result.

Did you see your sister??

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

72 days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.25 pace. Nice run along the canal. Legs feeling good after the weekend. Some tightness in the hamstrings and calfs but sorted that out later in the evening with the foam roller

Tuesday: 14 miles @ 6.50 pace. Have a minor niggle in the calf and anybody who reads this log knows it takes me a while to recover from races. Therefore I just went with a medium long run. Legs were feeling very good and had to constantly apply the brakes. Probably would have been ok for a tempo but better to be safe than sorry!

Wednesday: 8 miles @ 7.15 pace. Poxy day in work and had every excuse not to run this by the time I got home (very late I may add). But as usual, I thought about some bastards who I'd be racing in Bohermeen ;) and I was out the door before I knew it.

Thursday: 12 miles total with 5 * 1 mile off 2mins 30 seconds recovery. Reduced recovery by 30 seconds. It's still way too much for these but just trying to keep legs together and have a long run planned for Saturday so don't want to absolutely shatter the legs. reps were 5.30, 5.30, 5.31, 5.34 and 5.27. These were all very comfortable. Breathing was very good. Legs lacking a little zip but I reckon that's the effort from Saturdays race still being present.

So far so good this week. One minor niggle is present in my calf. It's not a muscle tear or strain but feels like the fascia instead, just general tightness across a very defined area. I had this the middle of last week too. Foam rolling and my stretch routine is definitely helping but would rather if it was gone! Will give it another couple of days and may get it seen to then if I can't manipulate the fascia myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thursday: 12 miles total with 5 * 1 mile off 2mins 30 seconds recovery. Reduced recovery by 30 seconds. It's still way too much for these but just trying to keep legs together and have a long run planned for Saturday so don't want to absolutely shatter the legs. reps were 5.30, 5.30, 5.31, 5.34 and 5.27. These were all very comfortable. Breathing was very good. Legs lacking a little zip but I reckon that's the effort from Saturdays race still being present.

Well so far so good Jack.
    Had an almost identical 5 x 1 mile meself on Wed, and happy as couple of secs under 5:30 avg. First 3 grand but last 2 were not comfortable though.
    Same as you, recoveries are still too fast, but then its a habbit I always had.

Jesus time is flying, it'll be end March before we know it. These weeks will make or break us.

Fine 10k run and win by you. It's funny reading between the lines. A win in a lead up race is not worth a ****e unless you satisfied with the time / effort put into it.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well so far so good Jack.

Cheers Joe
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Jesus time is flying, it'll be end March before we know it. These weeks will make or break us.

Fine 10k run and win by you. It's funny reading between the lines. A win in a lead up race is not worth a ****e unless you satisfied with the time / effort put into it.

Big time, next 3-4 weeks will decide what time I'll be realistically targeting in London. You're right about the win. Would rather take a sub 33 minute run and have finished 10th than a win. I think I ticked both boxes though. Basically ran as hard/best I could and finished out front. Have had some fun in work this week. The lad who was second is an ex inter county footballer and seen as he's local (as was the race), I've had work colleagues congratulate me on beating him. Nearly took the heads off a couple of people :)

Now, make sure you take it handy for the weekend. Don't want you training too hard ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Now, make sure you take it handy for the weekend. Don't want you training too hard ;)

Never fear of that ;)
    Looks like my long run on Sunday will contain a nice bunch of speed men. You will know them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The lad who was second is an ex inter county footballer

And he is also a triathlete :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    And he is also a triathlete :)

Jesus, I never would have lived that down :)

69 days to London marathon

Friday: 10 miles @ 6.55 pace. Legs feeling great. Really went to town on the calf last night and tightness all but gone. Great run except for first 3 miles. Ate too close to it and I was ready to pull the plug at 5/6 miles as was feeling very uncomfortable. Luckily enough a big fart at 3 miles sorted me out.

Saturday: 25 miles @ 6.45 pace. Headed down to Donadea and ended up running 16 miles or so with beepbeep. Had planned on running TBB but got a little carried away at the start and just couldn't ease back no matter how I tried. Was ready to call it quits on the 7th lap but ended up beside clum and he said he wouldn't mind the company for 1 more lap so I was happy to get it in. I had headed down with the hope of completing 8 laps so luckily I bumped into him. Legs tired afterwards but no niggles or joint pain.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace. Handy run this afternoon. Legs feeling very very good. Had another kids party today. They are a nightmare for me. I am a glutton and find it hard to resists sweets and cakes. Brought some chicken and rice and while the kids were developing type II diabetes I was eating relatively healthy. Run itself was great. Surprised how well the legs have recovered but was mindful not to push it at all.

Good week, 85ish miles in total. Next week is another big week. Have some physiology tests on Thursday so that will probably effect mileage but similar enough to this weeks again with sleigh variations hopefully.

69 days to London marathon

Luckily enough a big fart at 3 miles sorted me out.

You met DrQ ??

• Advertisement

You met DrQ ??

no, he's a little $hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Saturday: 25 miles @ 6.45 pace. Headed down to Donadea and ended up running 16 miles or so with beepbeep. Had planned on running TBB but got a little carried away at the start and just couldn't ease back no matter how I tried. Was ready to call it quits on the 7th lap but ended up beside clum and he said he wouldn't mind the company for 1 more lap so I was happy to get it in. I had headed down with the hope of completing 8 laps so luckily I bumped into him. Legs tired afterwards but no niggles or joint pain.

I think I lucked out more than you did by meeting up. Whatever was going on in my head lap 7 was killing me. I was ready to quit. But the 6k with company got me through it. By the time we parted company after lap 8 I was back on form again. I reeled in 3 lads on lap 9, was pased by Ray, but held out for 10th spot. Over the moon with that result.

Thanks again.

Clum wrote: »
    I think I lucked out more than you did by meeting up. Whatever was going on in my head lap 7 was killing me. I was ready to quit. But the 6k with company got me through it. By the time we parted company after lap 8 I was back on form again. I reeled in 3 lads on lap 9, was pased by Ray, but held out for 10th spot. Over the moon with that result.

Thanks again.

super result, well done. You seemed to be in the right head space all right, so great result in reeling those in front of you in! Top 10 in a national distance race. Not too many people have that on their CV!

65 days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 6.45 pace. Nice run along the canal by my lonesome. Had the iPOD on so pace ended up a little quicker that I had planned on. Still nice run and felt very easy.

Tuesday: 12 miles with 10k tempo in 35.40. Happy out with this as I wasn't fired up to do this one if I'm honest. Lacked the motivation to get out but was grand once I was out and running. Tempo was good. Last kilometre was a bit of a struggle and could feel my form starting to slip. Happy to get this in regardless. Definitely pushed at the right intensity as I couldn't risk a fart for the rest of the evening unless I was in the vicinity of the jacks!

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 7.10 pace. Easy run with company along the canal. Legs feeling good but a little tired so kept it nice and easy the whole way. Blustery day wind wise didn't help.

Thursday: 6 miles total on treadmill, various paces. Had physiology tests today. They went very well and I'm happy with the results. A little ahead of where I have been in previous years but more or less confirmed where I thought I was and more importantly what specifics I need to work on over the next two months. Was planning another easy 6 miles this evening but I'm actually wiped out. The running on the treadmill is alien to me and the enclosed environment and face mask etc is a bit intense. I have very mild claustrophobia so maybe mentally it took a little extra out of me. Feel it would be counterproductive so just going to spend extra time on some stretches and foam rolling.

62 days to London marathon

Friday: 11 miles total including 3*2 mile reps with 3 minute recovery. Delighted with how this session went. Was a little apprehensive about doing this and initially had set a target of 11.20 per 2 mile reps. However, I was in absolute cruise control for this. One of the few sessions were I was in total control and without even looking at the watch knew how fast I was going. Was working a little the last mile of rep 3 but was into a good headwind and legs were starting to tire. Splits were 11.06, 11.07 and 11.06. Beautiful symmetry :)

Saturday: 6 miles @ 7.15 pace. Handy run in the afternoon. Was supposed to do 10 miles but had some stomach issues so I had to call it early. I'll spare ye's the details!

Sunday: 22ish miles @ 7.05 pace. Nice early run with Vadermlk and some of his club mates. Was an awful morning for it but the company was great and the run itself zipped by before I even realised. Feeling good on this run but a little tired by the end of it. Didn't have time to buy some gels yesterday, so didn't take any carbs on board. Could definitely notice this later on! Not something I'll be doing again.

Mileage for this week slightly down on what I had initially planned (77 vs 85) but in hindsight it was a great week. I could have made up the miles but they would have just been junk. 10k tempo, 2 mile reps and LSR were priorities for the week and I pretty much hit them exactly as planned.

If you haven't noticed, Pacing Mule is organising a sweeps in the main forum for the Bohermeen half marathon. It's in aid of PALS a charity that provides early intervention programs for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. If you have a few quid and want to bet on the top 3 finishers taking the handicap into account, it would be much appreciated. I haven't decided on my bets yet but I'll be obviously be backing myself to win regardless of handicaps. Never bet against yourself ;)

58 Days to London Marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.15 pace. Nice handy run along the canal. Legs feeling a little heavy after long run but overall in good nick. Happy with how easy and how good this felt.

Tuesday: 11 miles with a GD* inspired 10k in 34.50. Happy with this session. 2 mile warm up then got stuck into the tempo. Had company which helped massively. Was going very nicely and hit 5k in 17.20 feeling very controlled. Mile 4 was a bit of a fecker in terms of a nasty incline and a headwind. This kind of knocked me off and legs were finding it hard to recover. Was suffering a little in mile but it turned out to be the fastest mile split of the day so I took it back slightly and just got the session completed.

Wednesday: 10 miles easy @ 7.05 pace. Really surprised with how well the legs felt on this run. It was also a little warmer than of late and there was no real wind to talk of. Had company on this and it flew by.

Thursday: 15 miles easy @ 7.20 pace. Jumped in with a friend who was looking for company on his long run. Did a couple of miles more than I had planned but no harm (I hope). Pace a little slower than of late and extra time on my feet means I was a little weary finishing this. Hope it doesn't mess up planned session tomorrow.

*Gerry Duffy inspired 10k. Like his 32 marathons in 32 days I stopped running once the garmin said 10K (42.2k in his case ;))

56 days to London marathon

Friday: 12 miles with 3 * 2 miles reps off 3 minute recovery. Very happy to get this done as had to do it alone and also had to squeeze it in as had a pretty hectic day work and home wise. reps were 10.56, 11.03 and 11.00. Nice consistent times considering the bastard wind that was blowing along the canal. Was a very blustery day and seemed that the wind was blowing in a different direction every half a mile. Was a little tired on the 3rd rep but held it together well.

Saturday: 6 miles @ 7.30 pace. Had planned on doing a few more miles but legs were pretty beat up so cut it short. Feeling ok overall.

Sunday: 22 miles @ 7.10 pace. Met up with TBB for this. Today is more or less last day of a hard 3 week block and I was tired. Physically and mentally. Was great to meet TBB as he had a route so I just had to run and not think about logistics. Happy to get this one without too much effort. Tired now though.

86 miles for the week. Good tempo, rep session and LSR in the bag so all boxes ticked. Next up is Bohermeen half next Sunday. Hoping for a nice clear calm day and will try and run a good time. I think I'm in PB shape so hopefully things will go my way on the day.

I forgot to mention. If I run a PB next weekend I'm having pb beers. I've a pain in my hoop with this non alcoholic stuff. May also have commiseration beers if I miss the pb as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I forgot to mention. If I run a PB next weekend I'm having pb beers. I've a pain in my hoop with this non alcoholic stuff. May also have commiseration beers if I miss the pb as well :)

I've allowed myself 3 hall passes for lent - 2 left :pac:

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Such commitment. You nearly put the anti irish water protestors who went on hunger strike to shame :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Right Turdy, pints in town if there are PB's all round?
    I'll be enjoying the unemployment life :D

menoscemo wrote: »

Feck off. I'm talking about have 2-3 pints in my local. Not a skin full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Feck off. I'm talking about have 2-3 pints in my local. Not a skin full.

:o:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Read that as 'ball passes' first - had me wondering ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Are you a full time athlete now Meno!??

You done it - congrats!

51 Days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.20 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs felt good. Just a little tired but nothing major.

Tuesday: 8ish miles at 7ish minute pace. Watch wouldn't pick up satellites so just ran without it. Handy enough run. Was supposed to do 10 but I was starving at 8 miles left me close to the office so I just headed back early and got something to eat.

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 7.15 pace Nice handy run on back roads. Bit of a meh run.

Thursday: REST day. Planned rest day. Haven't had one in a while so forced myself to take a day off so not to get into some sort of stupid running streak. Am also feeling quite tired physically so it was warranted. Gave myself a bit of a NCT by getting a massage from ecoli last night and then visited the chiropodist today. Feet have been giving out for the last week. Chiropodist got rid of a lot of dead skin and the relief was noticeable when I was walking out the door. I had never gone to a chiropodist before last year but can recommend it massively to anyone with running related foot issues.

This week is a down week as planned and matches up well with the half marathon Sunday. Training this week has been "meh". Box ticking easy runs. Just want Sunday to roll around so I can get the head down and race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

Go on the turd! Any aspirations of a podium or you going to time trial it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck this morning.
    We're still more than 48 hours from the start of the Cheltenham Festival, but today feels quite similar. You're the human Douvan.
    How does it feel? :)

Advertisement