Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ha ha, yeah he was quite irate at the eight mile mark with Abhainn :) Joe is like an auld one once he gets yapping. Talking about his loves of the Dubs and the shocking price of silage back in 2012 with the bad summer!

I sensed Billy wasn't too happy alright but I never seen him irate. I assume I'll hear about it again
    And I love the Jacks...

Good running with you Mon. Like you I purposely didn;t go into race with fresh legs.The 1 min negative split (29:33 / 28:35) as you said should do us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

12 Days to London marathon

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 7.10 pace. Happy to report that legs feel good after effort of the previous day. More importantly arse and back pain is continuing to reduce.

Wednesday: 8 miles @ 6.50 pace. Legs fine but very lethargic. Was supposed to do 10-12 miles but cut the run short. No major complaints.

Thursday: 7 miles @ 7.10 pace. Grand run but legs heavy.

Friday: 5 handy miles in 7.10 with a few strides thrown in to finish

Saturday: 10 miles total including GIR 10k in 34.30. Goal was sub 34 minutes. Probably ran the first 5k way too easy. Moved well in the second 5k but having said that I was overtaken by a couple of lads. Legs had zero zip. Running in one gear. Legs feel heavy but not too tired if that makes sense. Don't think this was a fair reflection of my current 10k effort but in hindsight is exactly what I needed. Not going to dwell on it too much as it was a good work out.

Sunday: 6 miles recovery @ 7.23 pace. Evening run. Legs feeling good. No niggles or injuries to worry about. All is good in the world :)

Monday: 15 miles @ 7.10 pace. This was ok did 5 on my own and then had company for 10. Lucky I had company for last 10 miles as probably would have stopped sooner. Just wanted to get it done.

Starting to taper now. I've two weeks to get the legs fresh. Should be plenty of time. They are very weary at the moment (just in case my moaning above wasn't loud enough :)). I guess they should feel this way at this stage. Happy to report that I've zero back pain. Still a little tightness in piriformis but is probably 10% of what it was last week and probably the same degree of tightness that most others who aren't paranoid about it have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I've really enjoyed reading your log of late. Glad to see you've managed to put together a decent block of training (mostly) injury free, and are deservedly reaping the rewards. Best of luck with the taper; I think you're all set for a proper good race in 12 days time.

7 days to London marathon

Tuesday: 6 miles easy @ 7.20 pace. Run with company on canal path. Legs feeling ok.

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 6.50 pace. Handy run along the canal. Box ticking exercise, nothing of note to report.

Thursday: REST DAY.

Friday: 8+ miles including 2 * 3 miles at MP with 5 minutes jog recovery between reps. These felt fine. Actually ended up running about 10 seconds per mile faster on second rep but no major hassle. Legs still feeling a little heavy but niggle free.

Saturday: 5 miles easy @ 7 minute mile pace. Just an easy run in lovely evening sunshine.

Sunday: 13 miles easy @ 7 pace. Nice early morning run to free up the day. Ran to my local park and ran a nice lap on grass. I must make a bigger effort to run on grass for the rest of the year. Am usually quite good but the last 6 months I've ran 90% on concrete or hard canal path. Really enjoyed the change of terrain. For the fist time in a while the horrible dead feeling was gone from my legs. Another week taper should have them sorted.

Have a very busy week in work next week so hopefully that will continue to keep the taper madness at bay but at the same time not raise unwanted stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

7 days to London marathon

Tuesday: 6 miles easy @ 7.20 pace. Run with company on canal path. Legs feeling ok.

Wednesday: 10 miles @ 6.50 pace. Handy run along the canal. Box ticking exercise, nothing of note to report.

Thursday: REST DAY.

Friday: 8+ miles including 2 * 3 miles at MP with 5 minutes jog recovery between reps. These felt fine. Actually ended up running about 10 seconds per mile faster on second rep but no major hassle. Legs still feeling a little heavy but niggle free.

Saturday: 5 miles easy @ 7 minute mile pace. Just an easy run in lovely evening sunshine.

Sunday: 13 miles easy @ 7 pace. Nice early morning run to free up the day. Ran to my local park and ran a nice lap on grass. I must make a bigger effort to run on grass for the rest of the year. Am usually quite good but the last 6 months I've ran 90% on concrete or hard canal path. Really enjoyed the change of terrain. For the fist time in a while the horrible dead feeling was gone from my legs. Another week taper should have them sorted.

Have a very busy week in work next week so hopefully that will continue to keep the taper madness at bay but at the same time not raise unwanted stress levels.

Looking good there Mr Turd - just as well you're busy in work this week or taper madness could drive you to devilment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck in London, smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

+1 I hope everything goes your way on Sunday!

blockic wrote: »
    Best of luck in London, smash it!

+1 Very best of luck - hope you get everything you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Go do it man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Ahh its too early FFS. The SBs probably haven't even ceased yet.

• Advertisement

3 days to London marathon

Tales of the Turd's Training live from the Tub #TTTT

The mrs is out, so to hell with health and safety :D

Monday: 30 minutes easy along the canal with a few strides in the last mile. Felt like I was only out the door then I was back in again :)

Tuesday: 6 miles with 3 miles at MP. This was ok. MP miles were into the wind and as is customary in the week leading up to a marathon, they felt harder than I would have liked. They were all into the wind though. Yeah the RER puts them at 5k pace ;)

Wednesday: 30 minutes easy along the canal with a few strides in the last mile. This was grand except some dope nearly dripped me with her extender dog lead. I wasn't too pleased and she knew it!

Thursday: 5 miles including a bit of fartlek. Walked off without my watch so instead of doing my planned pyramid session I improvised a bit. Was fairly pushing the pace in some of the shorter segments. Legs felt good and got the heart rate up nicely without over stressing myself.

So as I sit here roasting the balls off myself. I'm pretty happy with my current state of fitness. I've actually gone under my planned race weight (for once). Some people hate taper, I actually like it! You're allowed to take it easy, technically you are at peak fitness and come tomorrow you start cargo loading!

Had a look back at my training diary last night and in total I missed 5 unplanned days since the turn of the year. Two in early January related to manflu (yes I am a survivor) and three days a few weeks back when I get the piriformis scare. I would have liked to do a couple more longer tempos and one extra session but I know I've got nearly as much done as my body can handle.

In hindsight that piriformis issue was a blessing in disguise. I pretty much had a pain with training by that stage (late March) and the marathon had become a chore. That little injury put things in perspective and I realised how much I wanted to make the start line. Well with continued luck I'll make it and the appetite is there for a good run so fingers crossed. I'm not calling a particular time. In or around 6 minute pace is plan and hopefully I'll feel good on the day and naturally speed up. If uncomfortable I'll ease back and see what happens. I'm more interested in a good performance. If that equates to a PB well that's an added bonus.

Will take tomorrow off and flying out Saturday morning. May do a couple of miles Saturday if I'm in the mood. Keep an eye out for me on the BBC. I will be the only person in the field with a dodgier running gait than Paula Radcliffe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Hope it all goes to plan TRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It seems like you have executed your training plan extremely well and the dedication on the nutritional front has been impressive.

Best of luck Ricky and I'm looking forward to the live after party broadcast of TTTT :)

Enjoy the post race burgers and beers.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Beat of luck TRR. Here's hoping all the factors outside of your control are in your favour because you have the other ones sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck on Sunday Dave.
    I'm hoping to get a look at the replay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Does this mean no more TTTT?? :eek: best of everything to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck Dave, looking forward to hearing tales of great exploits - during as well as post race!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Its very simple, "JDFIU"

Race well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck - hope you have a great race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck Sunday, hope it goes well on the day, great block of training anyway.

• Advertisement

Best of luck Ricky and I'm looking forward to the live after party broadcast of TTTT :)

TbL

Now there's a thought :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck lad - enjoys the after party :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck Dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Beer mile training starts shortly after your Marathon PB - get on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Good Luck TRR, have enjoyed reading your training for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck TRR, hope you have a great race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Ultrapussy

Go get ‘em tiger. I’ll be watching the TV in my bathroom from my soapy bathtub, stroking my favourite bathtub toy. I’ll be waiting to see if you have what it takes to make an ultraplodder.

Two Days after London marathon

Sunday: marathon PB ;)

Job done. Delighted with how this went. Forecast was for near perfect conditions and to be honest conditions ended up being absolutely perfect. The rain that was forecast before the race never materialised, so we didn't get wet before hand. Goal was to run somewhere between 2.33-2.37. Training had gone well, better than last year, but the couple of races I ran in my build up did not go as well as last year's build up races, so was a bit unsure of exactly where I was at.

Regards the race itself, my pace wasn't dictated by the watch at all and I ran by feel instead. I was determined not to push the pace if it didn't feel comfortable like I had done in the Bohermmen half marathon. First 10 miles flew by and I was just under 59 minutes. More or less the same split as my PB from last year. Passed by the Mrs at mile 13 and she was going nuts at me. Couldn't hear her but it transpires she was telling me Paula Radcliffe was just ahead of me. Hit half way in 77.30, again bang on last years time. Kind of hit a dodgy spot around 16-17 miles as I was caught in no mans land into a slight head wind. Made an effort to catch the big group ahead of me. As I got closer I realised Radcliffe was in the middle of it and this lifted my spirits. The support for her was unbelievable. Took my mind off the race momentarily but I decided to push on as they were slightly slower than my pace. Had a quick word with her and she said she was tiring a little but she looked in absolute cruise control to me.

Hit 20 miles in 1hr 58 minutes. Same pace as last year. Again this was unintentional and I wasn't looking at my Garmin. Just the clocks on course. Went by the Mrs again at 35k and she totally lost the plot with me and told me to "get the finger out and get a move on". She was tracking my predicted finish and it was more or less the same as last years time. I had said to her beforehand that I'd love to sneak under the 2.35. Hit 40k in 2hrs 27 minutes dead. Did a few calculations and knew I was cutting it fine. Hit 25 miles in 2hrs 28 minutes dead and decided to try and eek out a few seconds. Was on my own and needed a bit of inspiration. And with that ...................

346890.jpg

Jesus H Christ appeared. I was looking at this chap thinking, there is no way Jesus is beating me. Black socks with runners is another pet peeve of mine and I decided I was going to do everything in my power to beat JC. Had a great battle with him over the last mile but just before the 26 mile mark he took off like he'd just seen Pontius Pilate washing his hands. I didn't beat Jesus, but I'd like to thank him and his Daddy for giving me someone to work off over the last mile ;)

Turned onto the mall and pushed the final stretch. Made sure to keep the head up and take as much as I could in. It's a great finish and wanted to savour it. Delighted to see the clock reading 2.34.4x as I crossed. I was absolutely spent and felt quite sick. I had to take on an extra gel around the 22 mile mark as I could feel and physically see (my legs had visibly shrunk) the sugar being stripped from my the legs. It didn't go down too well. Goal on the start line was to run the best race I could. If that was 2.33 that would be great, if it was 2.43 then that was fine as well. Everything went more or less perfect for me on the day and I've no regrets. I can't even think of a section where I may have gained time or where I may have lost time.

My final result time is 2.34.43. That's based on the gun time. They don't give chip times for the championship start I was in. I was actually 10 seconds faster so I'm claiming a 2.34.33 PB :)

After a bit of a rest in the hotel i started to feel like myself again and headed to the coal hole where I started my beer mile preparations! Great craic there and I think everyone I spoke to on the day was happy with their run! I'm not going to race another marathon this year but if I am doing a spring marathon next year there's a good chance it will be London again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My final result time is 2.34.43. That's based on the gun time. They don't give chip times for the championship start I was in. I was actually 10 seconds faster so I'm claiming a 2.34.33 PB :)

They are giving you a 2:34:28 on the page I'm looking at. Might not be the "official" time for the championship results, but claim it and get the screen shots before they change their minds. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

robinph wrote: »
    They are giving you a 2:34:28 on the page I'm looking at. Might not be the "official" time for the championship results, but claim it and get the screen shots before they change their minds. :D

That's changed since yesterday in fairness!!
    Now if they'd only take 1 minute 35 off mine ;)

Advertisement