Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's TRR_ismyjusus :pac:

Whatever. I want to make sure he/she is on the mailing list! Don't want them missing out on the after hours version of the log I email out weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Whatever. I want to make sure he/she is on the mailing list! Don't want them missing out on the after hours version of the log I email out weekly.

I think it's a play between Jesus and Judas, might be a clue :pac:

76 Days to Charleville half marathon

Well in the last 10 weeks I've managed to go from peak fitness to peak roundness. While I enjoy the trappings of getting a little fatter, I don't enjoy the feeling of being a little fatter. With that in mind I need a focus for the rest of the year or I'll end up doing a lot of hand waving with no real target. I'm entered into the Chareville half, it's basically 11 weeks away so plenty of time to get into good shape and have a crack at my half PB on what looks like a fast course.

After London, I didn't run a step for 3 weeks. A week of that was planned, a week was work related and a week was pure idle laziness. Since then I've been doing a little bit of unstructured training jumping into our weekly club summer league races (3 mile, 3 mile xc, 4 mile, 5 mile) and have done a couple of parkruns (17.11 & 16.55). Was away on holidays in Waterford last week and my hay fever knocked me for six, so no running happened. It doesn't help when you're allergic to tree pollen and your holiday home is basically in a fecking forest :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll start logging here again, once I start doing some running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

76 Days to Charleville half marathon

Well in the last 10 weeks I've managed to go from peak fitness to peak roundness. While I enjoy the trappings of getting a little fatter, I don't enjoy the feeling of being a little fatter. With that in mind I need a focus for the rest of the year or I'll end up doing a lot of hand waving with no real target. I'm entered into the Chareville half, it's basically 11 weeks away so plenty of time to get into good shape and have a crack at my half PB on what looks like a fast course.

After London, I didn't run a step for 3 weeks. A week of that was planned, a week was work related and a week was pure idle laziness. Since then I've been doing a little bit of unstructured training jumping into our weekly club summer league races (3 mile, 3 mile xc, 4 mile, 5 mile) and have done a couple of parkruns (17.11 & 16.55). Was away on holidays in Waterford last week and my hay fever knocked me for six, so no running happened. It doesn't help when you're allergic to tree pollen and your holiday home is basically in a fecking forest :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll start logging here again, once I start doing some running!
    Going back off the beer for the 11 weeks ? ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Going back off the beer for the 11 weeks ? ;)

Jesus no, not completely. But a serious cutback in the consumption of beer, spice bags and four in ones (dinner of champions) is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hayfever me hole.

You couldn't handle the rolling hills ;)

I thought you'd be well used to that type of running from taking the stairs when the lifts broke down on your high rise flah

Gavlor wrote: »
    Hayfever me hole.

You couldn't handle the rolling hills ;)

I thought you'd be well used to that type of running from taking the stairs when the lifts broke down on your high rise flah

Well I did text you asking for a flat route and all I got in reply was an offer of a coffee date!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Well I did text you asking for a flat route and all I got in reply was an offer of a coffee date!

I thought it was your wife texting me to be honest...

Are you planning on racing much between now and charleville?

I thought it was your wife texting me to be honest...

That would explain the naked photos you sent!!!!!
    Are you planning on racing much between now and charleville?

Will do a few races but haven't decided on which ones yet. Will sit down with the calendar later and target a couple for sure. Will probably do a few others but won't ease off training for them.

74 Days to Charleville half marathon

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.15 pace. Nice run along the canal bank.

Tuesday: ~9 miles total. 4 mile warm up, 3 mile club race, 2 mile cool down. Well I knew this was going to be bad. Ran 16.40 on this course in round 1 of summer league and plan back then was to get in shape to run 16.10 in round 6. Was going to plan more or less, but no running last week and an overindulgence on BBQ'd food and beer knocked that back. Ran 16.55 and that, on top on the reading on my weighing scales, had me disgusted with myself! Like a fooking demon for the rest of the night.

Wednesday: Lunch time handy 6.5 miles @ 7.20 pace. Nice easy run along the canal. Legs fine after last night. Evening run of 5.5 miles @ 8.20 pace on grass in local park. A fat burner run!!!!! Ran this with a friend of mine and it flew by. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You following a plan Ricky, do you customise your own and if so do you have someone review them?

What sort of weekly mileage will you get up to for the half?

Will you go straight into a marathon program after the half?

What will be the main difference between your training for the half and the marathon.

Keep loggin, like reading how the faster guys do it.

TbL

74 Days to Charleville half marathon

Tuesday: ~9 miles total. 4 mile warm up, 3 mile club race, 2 mile cool down. Well I knew this was going to be bad. Ran 16.40 on this course in round 1 of summer league and plan back then was to get in shape to run 16.10 in round 6. W

You Sure on that? Didn't Peter predict 16:30 and get it bang on?

Most of us ran slower this week and we had a few excuses.
    1) it was windy
    2) it was a bit slippy on the lane
    3) Long run on the weekend past (doesn't apply to you)

1) it was windy

Oh you bollox. You're right. I ran 16.20. Sweet Jesus. Even worse and just when I was over it!

Oh you bollox. You're right. I ran 16.20. Sweet Jesus. Even worse and just when I was over it!

It's harder to run a Handicap I reckon, more like a time trial, especially coming from the back.

1) it was windy
    You following a plan Ricky, do you customise your own and if so do you have someone review them?

What sort of weekly mileage will you get up to for the half?

Will you go straight into a marathon program after the half?

What will be the main difference between your training for the half and the marathon.

Keep loggin, like reading how the faster guys do it.

TbL

Hey

Make my own plans up. Mostly because I have a good idea what I respond to and also because I like to suit myself :) compared to marathon training I will be doing more short reps (1 mile / 1k) and long run will be shorter. Mileage wise I guess close to 70. I'm running London next year again so won't start training exclusively for that until mid to late January. this week and next is all about getting the mileage up, easy running and a few easy sessions. I'll jot something down on paper plan wise the end of this week and try to stick to it. Mostly just want to stay injury free and get back into a bit of decent shape to be honest.

And I'm off the Ricky Hatton diet. I'm all about punishment over nourishment for the moment ;)

Tnx TRR,

Be interested to see your plan.

Just one more question, if ya don't mind, don't recollect you posting much about core or strength and conditioning sessions. Do you do much on that front?

TbL

Tnx TRR,

Just one more question, if ya don't mind, don't recollect you posting much about core or strength and conditioning sessions. Do you do much on that front?

TbL

I have a 10 minute routine I do every night. Mostly concentrates on my weakest area. My glutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Tnx TRR,

TbL

Have you seen him in action? I reckon anyone who runs like Pepe Le Pew and has a 2.34 pb doesn't bother with any of that malarkey.

davedanon wrote: »
    Have you seen him in action? I reckon anyone who runs like Pepe Le Pew and has a 2.34 pb doesn't bother with any of that malarkey.

I don't care if he runs like Peppa Pig, :) it was a genuine question, and why wouldn't a 2.30 marathoner bother with it?

TbL

I don't care if he runs like Peppa Pig, :) it was a genuine question, and why wouldn't a 2.30 marathoner bother with it?

TbL

A joke. Such as it was.

dd

• Advertisement

A joke. Such as it was.

dd

Apologies DD, went completely over my head, I'll have to google it now!

TbL

Edit: just googled it, the Romantic skunk Pepe Le Pew, in my ignorance I thought this was a runner !!!

I just admire the way TRR can do those times with his distinctive, prancing running style

Yeah it's a pretty distinvtive running style all right. Comments about it use to annoy me when I was younger, so much so that I tried to change it on a number of occasions. However this usually ended in injury. Doesn't bother me anymore. I'd rather be able to run 2.34 ugly than 2.35 gracefully. It's all about the PBs. Getting back to S&C, my gait actually puts a lot of pressure on my hamstrings and glutes so these get overworked. Most of my conditioning are stretches for these areas as well as some core work as well. I'm prone to lower back pain (can be crippling if I don't follow my little routine) and lower leg pain (shin splints).

73 days to Charleville marathon

Thursday: lunch time: ~7 miles total with 5 * 1k with 2 minutes recovery. Average pace was just below 3.30 for all 5. This was goal before the session but it felt a little harder than I would have liked. I have a bit of a sinus infection after the trauma my hay fever caused and the reps were all on grass so I'm using those two excuses as to why I felt so ****!

pm: 5 easy mile @ 7.30 pace. Hadn't changed back to mile from km splits on the garmin and I was too stupid to figure out equivalent 8 minute mile pace in ams so these were a little quick. Felt very easy but should have been done 30-40 seconds slower.

Going to track my weight here too to keep me honest. The week before I ran London I was 11 stone 9lbs. Two mornings back I weighed 12 stone 13 lbs. Aim is to get close to 12 stone by Charleville. Diet won't be a problem, sneaky beers is my main culprit but I'm in the head space to cut these out while still having a few sociables once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Hadn't changed back to mile from km splits on the garmin and I was too stupid to figure out equivalent 8 minute mile pace in ams so these were a little quick. Felt very easy but should have been done 30-40 seconds slower

Everybody knows the 5/8ths rule. You were just being bold :mad:

5/9ths isn't it?

No, genuinely stupid this evening. Surprised I still have the ability to type to type to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Going to track my weight here too to keep me honest. The week before I ran London I was 11 stone 9lbs. Two mornings back I weighed 12 stone 13 lbs. Aim is to get close to 12 stone by Charleville. Diet won't be a problem, sneaky beers is my main culprit but I'm in the head space to cut these out while still having a few sociables once a week.

This is interesting - 13lb's is a hell of a lot to shed while maintaining performance.
    What would your 'normal' weight be (if there is such a thing)?

This is interesting - 13lb's is a hell of a lot to shed while maintaining performance.
    What would your 'normal' weight be (if there is such a thing)?

Might seem like a lot but it will be easy to shift if I monitor what I eat. To put it in perspective I weighted the same the start of January than I do now. I suppose if I was just tipping away not training for anything specific and doing 30-40 miles a week, not keeping a close eye on diet but not doing the dog either etc I would normally weigh 12 stone 9lbs. By cutting out chocolate, crisps, jellies (2 young kids so this is very hard :)) reducing beer (dramatically), keeping an eye on my lunches (have a chicken salad in with me today for example) and an increase in mileage I should drop a lb a week. Doesn't always go exactly like this week to week but when I average it out it usually does. I don't calorie count and have the odd bold day.

edit: should have said, I don't want to maintain my current performance range. In relative terms, its not great for me. Shedding extra blubber will help increase performance :)

• Advertisement

70 Days to half marathon

Friday: 8 miles no watch. Run along the canal bank. Around 7 minute mile pace, felt a bit weary on this one. It was quite humid so I put it down to the heat.

Saturday: 7 miles total with park run in 17.02. Decided to do this last minute. Had a few beers the night before and was planning on tipping around at marathon pace. Recognised a lad at the start and ended up in a bit of a race with him. Managed to just get ahead of him over the last 800 metres, slight uphill drag so I held a little back for this. Actually happy with the time because the course isn't the fastest (RER equivalent 16.40 ;)) Spilts were also very consistent so a good session all things considered

Sunday: 12 miles at 7 minute pace. Run around local roads and park. Body feeling good, another heavy day weather wise but felt fine.

Good first week back. Will build long run slightly next week and also the km reps. May jump into a race during the week too or if not do a tempo of some sort. Doing a few races if I can with no expectations or pressure for the next few weeks just to keep me interested. I've hardly raced the last 24 months. Could probably count all races in that time on two hands! Unusual for someone who use to hate training but loves racing

Advertisement