Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

great running TRR. yeah I know that feeling of being chased down, I got caught at mile 7 and had to hang on for dear life! Your last mile was faster than mine :) Whats the half target? around 1 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

smmoore79 wrote: »
    great running TRR. yeah I know that feeling of being chased down, I got caught at mile 7 and had to hang on for dear life! Your last mile was faster than mine :) Whats the half target? around 1 13?

Thanks, yeah the last mile is what counts, forget about the other 9 :pac:

Just check my half PB there and it is 73.36 (thought it was a bit quicker :confused:). Aim is to try and run faster than that. Would love to go sub 73 but will have to see how things go on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent racing, well done on the PB but could you not have found that extra second to take 14th :)

TbL

Excellent racing, well done on the PB but could you not have found that extra second to take 14th :)

TbL

I was 14th. Get your reading glassed on ye auld fart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ah yes, I see that now. I was looking at the chip time, the time us mere non elite mortals usually look at!

You must have done a Gatlin on it and dipped too early not to take 13th :)

Notwithstanding your finish line fcuk up, that's a great time and nice confidence booster.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run at the weekend. Nice to get what sounds like an unexpected pb :)

Monday: am 7 miles @ 7.20. Legs still tired and very niggly. Nothing major but set up an evening date with the foam roller. pm 5 miles at 8.05 pace. Legs felt great on this one. Complete about turn from earlier in the day. Went to town on the legs with the foam roller later that evening. Right achilles and calf particularly sore.

Tuesday: am 5 miles @ 7.05 pace. Just a handy little run before work pm ~7.5 miles at unknown. Headed down to the club where I jumped into a fartlek with the lads. No idea of paces etc but legs were a little tired so took it handy enough and really enjoyed running with a big group.

Wednesday: 10 miles at 7.24 pace. Nice run along the canal. Most of the niggles I had Monday and Tuesday had gone but legs were a little heavy and tired. All good though.

Thursday: 8 miles total with 8 * 1k. Average pace 3.20, 2 minute jog recovery. Legs a lot better today. Said I'd do a session if I felt up to it. I'm ultra cautious these days. My recovery from races has never been great, but since I hit my dirty thirties (fecking closer to 40s now :o) it's even worse. Anyway legs felt good so I did the session. Fatigue mostly gone and niggles absent also. Could feel I was going into the red on the last 2 so was glad to finish in one piece. Had planned on doing another recovery 5 miles this evening but had some work to finish up so knocked it on the head and am just about to crack open a school night beer and watch the highlights from the world champs today

Friday: 7 miles easy. Nice run along the canal, no watch but pace was handy enough. Legs a little tired from session the day before.

Saturday: 16 miles @ 6.37 pace including park run in 16.50. Ran 7 miles to the park run, ran the 5k then 6 miles home. Parkrun obviously brings the overall pace down. Was very happy with the 5k effort as I felt like I was running 5.4X pace and was on my own. Was quite windy as well so was pleasantly surprised at the finish. Felt quite good on this run overall.

Sunday: 8 miles @ 6.55 pace. Would have liked to go a bit further but I was stuck for time. Nice run and feeling quite good overall.

Finally starting to feel like things are clicking into place. Another 2 weeks of hard training before the half marathon. The week after next may be a bit hit and miss so really want a good week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you must get a sign printed on your T-Shirt for those park runs............. "I've just ran 7 miles, why are you behind me".

really pi$$ people off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

you must get a sign printed on your T-Shirt for those park runs............. "I've just ran 7 miles, why are you behind me".

Not in the same league, but I jumped into Tymon parkrun one day in the middle of an 18m MP run before London. My 23:xx was still good enough for 30th place, and 70 points.

• Advertisement

Because if I did something like that I'd be guaranteed to get a hammering by someone else :)

Monday: am 9 miles total including 3 * 2 mile reps with 3 minute jog recovery between each rep. Was dreading doing these. I'm racing on Saturday so wanted to do them on Monday and give myself as much time as possible to recover before the race. Also had to do them solo and just wasn't mentally up for them. Once I got going though I was fine. Delighted with the splits, 10.55, 10.56 & 10.56. Had to work hard on the last half mile of the third rep to keep the pace going but was happy to get them all under the 11 minutes. Probably the best session I've done in a while. pm 5 miles @ 8.05 pace. Legs feeling good. Start of run I had some severe tightness going into my foot, but this quickly disappeared and I did lots of stretching afterward.

Tuesday: am 8.5 miles @ 7.30 pace. Handy run along the canal. Nothing of note to mention. pm 5 miles @ 7.38 pace. Another handy evening run. Had to drop the pace the last couple of miles as I was in a rush to get home. Legs feeling good overall just a little tired.

Wednesday: 12 miles @ 7.25 pace. Met the exile for this in the park this morning. Had planned on running 16 miles but legs were very tired. Running up Knockmaroon hill 3 miles into the run, probably wasn't one of my better ideas. Had my legs shredded. Decided to cut this run short and get the legs sorted before the race on Saturday.

Weight down to 12-3. Can't see much more coming off before half marathon if I'm honest. Probably needed to cut out the booze totally to hit my goal of 12-0. I'm only having a few beers one night a week so I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

How are you finding all the double days Dave? You seem to be doing a lot more now that before, big benefit from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Sounds like you're going really well - what's the race on Saturday ?

pconn062 wrote: »
    How are you finding all the double days Dave? You seem to be doing a lot more now that before, big benefit from them?

I'm enjoying them at the moment. It's usually 8.30pm before I get out for the second run of the day. However, with the evenings getting shorter I'm not enjoying them as much as a couple of weeks back :) They are great because they help get my mileage up and help shed some lbs. Also, I notice I don't get as many niggles when doing doubles. I had done doubles quite regularly in the past but with family life it wasn't possible the last few years. I've a little more times in the evening now, so I can squeeze them back in. I'll more than likely drop them after the half marathon and hopefully pick them back up after Christmas when I will be ramping up the miles for the marathon. Last January/February I didn't reintroduce them though, the weather was so bad I decided to do 1 * 10 miler a day (on average) than break it into two smaller runs. The thoughts of heading back out into the dark, wind and rain doesn't entice me and I may end up doing the same again. I'll see how the weather pans out.
    kit3 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're going really well - what's the race on Saturday ?

Thanks, heading down to Blessington to run the Lakes 10k. I've ran it twice before and it's a great race. Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a race this weekend.

Thursday: OFF. As i mentioned earlier in the week, my legs were very heavy. Plan was to do an easy 6-7 miles and then get a sports massage Thursday evening with the race in mind. Didn't have time to get out before the sports massage, so just had to can the run. The sensible part of me knew that in the grand scheme of things, one missed easy run would have zero impact on my half marathon training and would actually be benefit for the 10k on Saturday. However irrational TRR was feeling guilty. iTRR is an eegit!

Friday: 5 miles @ 7.05 pace. This felt great, the way you want your legs to feel the day before a race. I was jogging along taking it super handy and had to keep an eye on the pace to make sure it wasn't too fast.

Saturday: 12 miles total with 10k race in 33.34. Not the time I was looking for. Was sure I was in sub 33 shape and went out hard with a lad I thought was well capable of going sub 33 minutes. Felt very comfortable to 5k but my pacer started to move away from me. I should have had the balls to go with him but I was worried about the hill at 6/7k so held a bit back. I think I had a decent gap to the lads just behind me but got a shock at the top of the hill when I glanced back and seen a few of them too close for comfort. I think I took it too handy on the hill itself. Last two miles are gradual downhill and are quite fast. Managed not to get overtaken so I was happy enough with my finishing position if not the time. Great race as usual. This is just down the road from me and I like the atmosphere around it.

Sunday: 12 miles @ 7.33 pace. Handy run with one of the lads from the club. He was looking for someone to run at this afternoon and it suited me down to the ground. Legs feeling quite good today. A couple of people noted to me yesterday, that in the last km it looked like my hip had locked up. I didn't notice this while running but it has happened in the past. Well my god, I was in a bit of pain this morning with it. Thankfully it loosened out with a few stretches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Does your foot flail out after push off by chance?

Does your foot flail out after push off by chance?

I'm not sure to be honest. There is so much messed up with my gait it's hard to pin point one single thing :) why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I'm not sure to be honest. There is so much messed up with my gait it's hard to pin point one single thing :) why do you ask?

It just I used to have a similar problem about two years ago where I'd lose all range of motion and lock up and start running like a duck on one side when I was tiring and was limiting range of motion. There was about 6 months there where I'd wake up to a serious pain in my hip everyday.

Could be something completely different in your case but the Sports therapist told me at the time that most hip dysfunction stemmed from weak glutes and tight hip flexors if it wasn't a skelatel dysfunction.

Do you do much strength work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

It just I used to have a similar problem about two years ago where I'd lose all range of motion and lock up and start running like a duck on one side when I was tiring and was limiting range of motion. There was about 6 months there where I'd wake up to a serious pain in my hip everyday.

Could be something completely different in your case but the Sports therapist told me at the time that most hip dysfunction stemmed from weak glutes and tight hip flexors if it wasn't a skelatel dysfunction.

That's a pretty good description of how TRR looked with 500m to go. We thought you looked like you were in pain or struggling. Never having seen you run before (other than beer mile!), that could be your normal gait, of course. In which case I should start digging myself out of this hole now. :p

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    That's a pretty good description of how TRR looked with 500m to go. We thought you looked like you were in pain or struggling. Never having seen you run before (other than beer mile!), that could be your normal gait, of course. In which case I should start digging myself out of this hole now. :p

The TRR gait is unusual.........but highly effective.

annapr wrote: »
    That's a pretty good description of how TRR looked with 500m to go. We thought you looked like you were in pain or struggling.

That's exactly what I suffer from. I have strength and stretching exercises for both and am usually pretty good with doing them. However, I probably haven't given them enough attention in the last two weeks. Good to get some feed back and a bit of a wake up call. If I had of continued as I am currently, there would be a very good chance I'd have crippling back pain in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

davedanon wrote: »
    The TRR gait is unusual.........but highly effective.
    The only runner I know who looks like he's running at a canter, when running under 6 min/mile. Some day we may all be mimicking that running style, when it turns out to be the most efficient running form. Best to stop short of the grumpy expression though. :)

Are you heading down to Charlie(ville) the day before the race?

Are you heading down to Charlie(ville) the day before the race?

Yes, heading down to the Deebert House Hotel Saturday evening with davedanon for a romantic evening ;)

What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Yes, heading down to the Deebert House Hotel Saturday evening with davedanon for a romantic evening ;)

What about yourself?

Watch out for him, he takes pictures !

I can't wait. Also I'm thinking the GoPro on a chest-strap. Might be a bit uncomfortable, but it'll capture all the action fo' sho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What about yourself?
    Yep, night before, though staying in Charleville I think (Park Hotel)? Might see you for a pint the night before (if Dave will let you go for 20 minutes), though I can't find any craft beer hostelries in the near vicinity. ;).

Yep, night before, though staying in Charleville I think (Park Hotel)? Might see you for a pint the night before (if Dave will let you go for 20 minutes), though I can't find any craft beer hostelries in the near vicinity. ;).

Sounds like a plan, I may even bring Dave along if he behaves. I'm sure we can find a public house that serves some obscure $hite to keep you happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This is mad I admit, but up until the other day I was confusing Charleville with Charlston. Anytime I'd pop into this log I'd never see anything that made me question this. I did think it was a bit odd that you'd fly all the way to South Carolina to run a half. Disappointed to find out now that it's actually County Cork you are competing in. Charlston will have to be next year so!

• Advertisement

Monday: am 5 miles @ 7.10 pace. Handy morning run, nothing to report pm 8.5 miles @ 7 min pace. Legs felt a little odd on this. They weren't tired but I was quite stiff and sore. In hindsight, I wasn't fully recovered from the race and I should have kept the run to a single day.

Tuesday: 8.5 miles @ 7.15 pace. Woke up with a pretty sore throat in the morning and didn't feel 100% all morning. The kids have sniffles so I may have contacted whatever deadly dose of man flu they are transmitting. Was suppose to do a session but knew that would be a very bad idea. Still planned on doing a double day but kopped on when I was still wrecked in the evening and had an early night.

Wednesday: 15 miles @ 7.15 pace. Feeling much better today. Man flu seems to have subsided. Was probably femme-flu as I managed to shrug it so easily. Ran this with the exile. I was leading the way on this run, I didn't tell him while we were running but I took a wrong turn and hadn't a rashers were we were. We managed to get back to our starting point but I haven't a clue how. I still haven't figured out where the hell we were. He also swallowed a fly and nearly died. It was quite amusing. Legs weren't tired on this but were very tight. Got a sports massage this evening and they are feeling fine now.

I hope to do a session tomorrow but I may find it hard to squeeze any sort of a run in. I'll see how it goes.

Advertisement