Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thursday: 9 miles @ 7 min pace in daylight. Booyah
    Well for some , stupid work got in my way of a lunch-time today so looks like another 8/9pm run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Friday: Disaster struck earlier, having arranged a great session and group for lunch time training I left my gear at home head was melted and decided I'd have to take an unplanned rest day. Problem is I may not get out tomorrow and really need to do a session of some sort this week. This mental toughness I've been developing recently was put to the test and by 4pm I went scrounging for gear determined to do the session solo. Had a pair of runners in the car and got the lend of a skanky singlet. Had no shorts so ran in my boxer shorts. They are quite baggy but I looked like a lunatic.

Session was supposed to be 6 miles at half marathon pace, started the session and by the end of the first mile I was at 6.22 pace :eek: Run felt easy but thought I was moving better than that. Didn't sleep well last night so put it down to that and just ran 4 more miles at the same effort as the first. Had to do 5 rather han 6 as it was getting dark and I think I was scaring the ****e out of auld ones running around in my boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

Had no shorts so ran in my boxer shorts. They are quite baggy but I looked like a lunatic.

RESPECT

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Feck me, out running in the boxers. Some people would do anything for a run :D I'm ashamed going out in the tights, never mind my kacks

Friday: Disaster struck earlier, having arranged a great session and group for lunch time training I left my gear at home head was melted and decided I'd have to take an unplanned rest day. Problem is I may not get out tomorrow and really need to do a session of some sort this week. This mental toughness I've been developing recently was put to the test and by 4pm I went scrounging for gear determined to do the session solo. Had a pair of runners in the car and got the lend of a skanky singlet. Had no shorts so ran in my boxer shorts. They are quite baggy but I looked like a lunatic.

Session was supposed to be 6 miles at half marathon pace, started the session and by the end of the first mile I was at 6.22 pace :eek: Run felt easy but thought I was moving better than that. Didn't sleep well last night so put it down to that and just ran 4 more miles at the same effort as the first. Had to do 5 rather han 6 as it was getting dark and I think I was scaring the ****e out of auld ones running around in my boxers.

For some reason end of above post went missing. Long story short I misread my first mile split and ended up running 5 miles sub 28 minutes so was delighted with that. Especially as I felt I could have gone all day. The boxers are not good for testicles by the way. They still haven't dropped back out of my abdomen. It was cold this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RR you are officially nuts - running around in your boxers, feckin classic.

dare2be wrote: »
    Feck me, out running in the boxers. Some people would do anything for a run :D I'm ashamed going out in the tights, never mind my kacks

And here is the ironic thing. Last week I wore a pair of running tights around the same route and got absolute dogs abuse from people walking by. And in the boxers ................ Not a single comment. Either they were in awe if my swinging balls or thought I just looked like a butter not to be messed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Classic, and handy, if you need a quick whizz!
    Were you not worried about things dropping out the front flap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Classic, and handy, if you need a quick whizz!

Ha. Yeah, you might get away with it running in the dark but during the day :) Fair play RR for the dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

And here is the ironic thing. Last week I wore a pair of running tights around the same route and got absolute dogs abuse from people walking by. And in the boxers ................ Not a single comment. Either they were in awe if my swinging balls or thought I just looked like a butter not to be messed with.

****ing legend stuff. A mad hatter, not many on here as nuts as you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A/R/T forum comment of the week. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to see you in proper shorts today. Thanks a million again.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    RR you are officially nuts - running around in your boxers, feckin classic.
    They were quite baggy and could be mistaken for a pair of football shorts. Just as well I didn't have my leopard colour G-string on !!!!!!
    They have a little button to keep everything in check. It was so cold that everything had reduced in size significantly so wasn't an issue :)

Saturday: 5 miles, ran boards ac 5k with a friend in just over 20 minutes and did a 2 mile wu/cd. Was happy to get a few miles in as didn't think I was going to get time.

Sunday: 16 miles with SP (the pro with no mo') in the park. Great run hadn't the Garmin so exact distance pace unknown I felt we were running close to 7 min pace. just over 60 miles for the week. 3 weeks to Waterford. Phase 1 for my marathon training for Berlin. I have already entered Berlin and have a hotel (although I wouldn't mind a couple of recommendations as I'm not happy with the one we have).

Will start 10k specific training in the new year and then marathon specific training in May. I've never ran a marathon properly yet. Usually use them to drop weight get some fitness back. Berlin will be different and will bring my marathon PB in line with some of my others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi RR I stayed here last year
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/kempinskibristolberlin.html?aid=303948;label=berlin-MlF5qBwq4Qll*mQtyRCsMAS5366617821;sid=9bd78701b6381d1efc03a6744cc9cd29
    can be a bit pricey but it's a superb hotel, lovely swimming pool aswell and your on the main shopping street and it's not that far from the start (short walk and train)
    I think it's about mile 18 on the route so ideal for the OH, your OH would love it.

Woddle wrote: »
    I think it's about mile 18 on the route so ideal for the OH, your OH would love it.

Thanks, OH isn't invited on the trip. Lads only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's the post I sent to Village_Runner before:
    The Hotel we stayed in was called the Adina Apart-Hotel, so the rooms are a mix of apartment and hotel, so you get a full kitchen, including washing machine cooker, microwave, fridge, etc. It's a 4**** hotel, so a very nice place too. Has a swimming pool and sauna for afterwards too, and is very near Haupbanhof, which is the main train station in Berlin, and about a 15 minute walk to the start line. There's also two Italian restaurants within a 30 second walk from the hotel, so it has a lot going for it!

It cost us €400 (€200 each) for the three nights, and would have cost €450 if we wanted breakfast too (breakfast was great, and was served from 6am).

The Missus booked it through this crowd: http://germany-booked.com

and here's a link to the hotel from their website:
    http://germany-booked.com/hotel/3286..._overview.html

This is the direct link to the hotel:
    http://www.adina.eu/adina-apartment-...ptbahnhof/home

Haven't updated in a while and am too lazy to go into detail.

week ending 28th November: wasn't a great one. 50 odd miles and then the snow came. Had a few scary moments and nearly broke my ankle (may be a bit of an exaggeration) twice (separate days). Decided running in the snow was going to lead to injury so joined my local gym and hit the treadmill.

week ending 5th December: not a great week again for a number of reasons. Firstly I hate the treadmill. It sucks the life out of me. Running/Exercising is such a chore on one. If I had no upcoming race I'd be doing 30 minutes and no more. They put me in bad mood, I feel incredibly violent when I step down off that blasted thing. Couldn't face running on it Saturday/Sunday so I didn't. I honestly couldn't take it mentally and to make matters worse I had more than a few beers Friday and Saturday night. Was actually violently ill Sunday which goes to show the negative impact that treadmill is having on my mental health.

Monday: another treadmill run :rolleyes: Major fail yet again. Forgot water bottle so I got dehydrated badly and also forgot my headphones so I had to listen to dodgy eurotrash dance music. Watched another episode of deal or no deal without sound (did the same last week). It's much more enjoyable without sound and Jane won 10,000 pounds today. Went down to the wire and was the highlight of my gym experience. In retrospect I'm glad I couldn't hear Jane as she seemed to be a right muppet.

Waterford half is this Saturday. In one way I'm not arsed about it as running indoors has sucked the life out of me and I don't feel like my preparation has been good. In another way I hope it gos ahead and I'll give it my best shot. Don't think I'll hit the targets I'd like but as I keep on reminding myself, this time of the year I'm usually coasting along doing no training so it's good to have some sort of target.

Now I'm off to do a sun dance, burn some coal, drive my car and fart like a trooper in the hope my additional CO2 emissions will tip this global change thing far enough so that it becomes global warming.

Viva La RoadRunner viva the thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Had no shorts so ran in my boxer shorts. They are quite baggy but I looked like a lunatic.

Had to do 5 rather han 6 as it was getting dark and I think I was scaring the ****e out of auld ones running around in my boxers.

You're some buachaill Dave. And I thought some of the **** I did was mad.........fair play to you man.

Tuesday: Treadmill session :eek: Needed to get the legs turning over in preparation for Saturday. Haven't done anything close to HMP recently so needed to do so today. Did some intervals on the treadmill which was really really really weird. I was pounding along I had a few strange looks and only realised the noise I was making when I took off my headphones. I was farting like a trooper as well and I hope what I thought were silent ones were !

I sweated like a turkey on Christmas day and even though I had a water bottle I was badly dehydrated when I got off the treadmill. The lack of salts have sent my legs into cramp a couple of times. Cramps in both hamstrings simultaneously was the highlight. Need to tell Mrs RoadRunner to hurry up with the dinner.

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

. I was farting like a trooper as well and I hope what I thought were silent ones were !l
    Haha Did the exact same yesterday for 40 mins, Thats one thing I miss about running out doors.... also you can't jsut just off the threadmill and take a slash...

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 8 miles on the treadmill. Was as enjoyable as usual. MrsRoadRunner has forbidden me to give out about running indoors. I'm wrecking her head.

Half marathon is canceled. Not really surprised and I'm glad West Waterford let us know well in advance so fair play to them. Rescheduled for middle of Jan so will hopefully keep me honest over Christmas.

going to try and get an outdoor run in tomorrow because you've guessed it, I hate running on the treadmill. I'm like a broken record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Waterford AC....
    West Waterford is the 10 miler in late January

Sosa wrote: »
    Waterford AC....
    West Waterford is the 10 miler in late January

Oops apologies, that was written subconsciously. Don't want to start a turf war down in the sunny snowy south east :)

Went to gym. Had to force myself. Outdoor running today didn't pan out.

Foot is sore because of repetitive action of treadmill running but headed out anyway. Footie team were using the majority of the treadmills and the 5 free ones I tried were all botched :eek: decided to do a few minutes on the elliptical trainer and wait for a free treadie. The elliptical was botched as well so I took that as a sign and hit the jacuzi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Oops apologies, that was written subconsciously. Don't want to start a turf war down in the sunny snowy south east :)

Glad we got that sorted ;)....cant have those westies getting the credit for our successful half ( if it took place,that is ! )

Friday: 8 miles on the treadmill 6 @ 5.40 pace. Wanted to do something a little up tempo. I actually enjoyed this, run. Gym had decent music on, all the goals from last seasons premier league were on the telly and a girl with a great backside was on the treadmill in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Friday: 8 miles on the treadmill 6 @ 5.40 pace. Wanted to do something a little up tempo. I actually enjoyed this, run. Gym had decent music on, all the goals from last seasons premier league were on the telly and a girl with a great backside was on the treadmill in front of me.

Talk like that is really inappropriate RoadRunner, this is not the place for those kind of comments, for Gods sake 6 @ 5:40 is just sick talk.

dermCu wrote: »
    Talk like that is really inappropriate RoadRunner, this is not the place for those kind of comments, for Gods sake 6 @ 5:40 is just sick talk.

6@5.40 on the treadmill is a piece of piss physically. I reckon I could bang out PBs on the treadie, doesn't compare to in vivo running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The ice is almost gone and you'll be back outside in the next day or two. But do me a favor would you and give this session a go on the treadie. I'd just be interested to see how hard/easy you find it. Knocks the bollox out of me, but Im not sure if thats because Im unfit or because its a genuinely tough workout:

After a few minutes warm up, incline the treadmill at 8% and run at 13km/hr. Hold this for 15minutes.

3 minutes easy jog

15 minutes at 13km/hr with 8% incline.

3 minutes jog

3 minutes jog

So you've done 4 x 15minutes at 13km/hr with an 8%incline.

Like I said, I find this a tough session, I'd be interested to see how it goes for you. Straight out of daniels running formula aswell so its not completely random, classed as a Threshold workout.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    The ice is almost gone and you'll be back outside in the next day or two. But do me a favor would you and give this session a go on the treadie. I'd just be interested to see how hard/easy you find it. Knocks the bollox out of me, but Im not sure if thats because Im unfit or because its a genuinely tough workout:

After a few minutes warm up, incline the treadmill at 8% and run at 13km/hr. Hold this for 15minutes.

3 minutes easy jog

3 minutes jog

3 minutes jog

So you've done 4 x 15minutes at 13km/hr with an 8%incline.

Like I said, I find this a tough session, I'd be interested to see how it goes for you. Straight out of daniels running formula aswell so its not completely random, classed as a Threshold workout.

Looks like a tough session all right. I actually couldn't run with an incline that steep. I don't think my calf/achilles could take it. I can run hills outdoors but find it hard on the treadmill. Did you see this link that BB67 posted in another thread ?

13kmh at 8% incline equates to 6 minute miling. I would have thought it was quicker. I best running at 16kmh on a 1% incline would feel a lot easier

Advertisement