Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

TRR: 1:13:08 (13th place)

Great running - congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR: 1:13:08 (13th place)

Great running - congrats.

I think he'll be taking his chiptime of 1;13:06 ;) Most importantly he wasn't chicked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Nicely done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Get in my son! well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great running Dave - shame you let that auld lad beat you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Great run well done. Up the D... du...dub..... no sorry can't do it. Well done on the race anyway. Dublin on the cards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

1:13:06 and a 30sec PB!

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congrats - wasn't sure if it was a pb - delighted for you. 30 seconds is a good pb at that level :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great racing and PB TRR.

Saw your picture on Jebuz's log, that's some welcome mat of chest hair you have, maybe if you waxed you'd have done a 1.12 :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

that's some welcome mat of chest hair you have

TbL

Just cause all yours has fallen out with old age!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Just cause all yours has fallen out with old age!!

And maybe you could ask him to harvest some for implants for you :)

TbL

Great racing and PB TRR.

Saw your picture on Jebuz's log, that's some welcome mat of chest hair you have, maybe if you waxed you'd have done a 1.12 :)

TbL

Had to go back & look at the picture again ! ffs TBL, are you trying to set up your own boards harem ??

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Great racing and PB TRR.

TbL

ha thanks. I'd rather be a rugged 73 minute runner than a metrosexual 72 minute runner!

Haha Kit,

At my age you gotta take what you can get!!!

But you're right I need to up the quality, we haven't had a run yet...:)

TbL

Haha Kit,

At my age you gotta take what you can get!!!

But you're right I need to up the quality, we haven't had a run yet...:)

TbL

Ha, we haven't, but going on your boards activity I wouldn't appear to have the right 'equipment' ;)

kit3 wrote: »
    Ha, we haven't, but going on your boards activity I wouldn't appear to have the right 'equipment' ;)

Neither did Tang but we still enjoyed it :)

Give me a shout if you're ever in Galway, whatever "equipment" you need I know a good shop ;)

Apologies for the log hijack TRR.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Some running. Well done. Was it a sprint finish between yourself and Krusty?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Some running. Well done. Was it a sprint finish between yourself and Krusty?

Thanks. I was trying to sprint to catch him all right :) no not really. He upped the pace over the last mile and I had run out of steam so couldn't keep up.

76 Days to Charleville half marathon

Well in the last 10 weeks I've managed to go from peak fitness to peak roundness. While I enjoy the trappings of getting a little fatter, I don't enjoy the feeling of being a little fatter. With that in mind I need a focus for the rest of the year or I'll end up doing a lot of hand waving with no real target. I'm entered into the Chareville half, it's basically 11 weeks away so plenty of time to get into good shape and have a crack at my half PB on what looks like a fast course.

Charleville half marathon report

Mission accomplished! Finished with a chip time of 73.06. I'm happy out with the time. 30 second PB. I find it hard to maintain my running focus when not training for a big event. Easy to head out in the pissings of rain or stay off the beer when training for something like the London marathon but not so easy for me when the event isn't a big one. With that in mind I was determined to find a target and try hit it. Charleville was that event and I can't speak highly enough of the race. Thankfully I managed to run a PB. I wasn't feeling great early last week but was 100% on race day.

Plan was to run 5.35-5.40 and hopefully pick it up later on. Thought 73 was just out of reach (which ended up being the case) and knew that if I could stay close to PB pace (73.37) until mile 10 or so I could grind it out. Luckily I didn't have to worry about my race plan. Ended up running with a great group, at mile 6 there were 18 of us (including krusty, jebuz and heffsarmy) and we were rolling nicely. I actually found it a little difficult to run in the group at first because I've genuinely never been in a group that big, moving at a decent clip before.

The pace was dictated by the legend that is Cathal O'Connell from Cork. The man is in his 50s and an absolute legend. So consistent, I made a big mistake of pushing on from him in the 2013 Dublin marathon and I was determined not to make that mistake again. I got a little over excited between miles 7-8 and ran a slightly faster mile into the headwind and this was a minor mistake, would have been better holding back slightly and saving something for the finish. Through 10 miles just under 55.40 and I was starting to tire. Really thought I slowed down badly over last 3 miles but splits were 5.41, 5.36 and 5.35 so delighted to hold on despite being under the cosh. Was beside krusty at 12 miles and we realised we only had 6 minutes to run the last 1.1 mile. He was able to push on but I just hadn't it in the legs to go with him. Seen the clock tick past 73 minutes as I approached the finish line but was still over the moon with the time. Not an ideal day conditions wise but the course is flat and fast and does have decent shelter. On a perfect day I reckon we would have gone well under 73 minutes (according to the RER anyway ;)). That's the first time I've ever trained solely for a half marathon. I'd definitely do a couple of things differently. In particular I think may a few 18 miles runs would have helped me hang on in the later stages. I also wish I'd done another couple of the 3 * 2 miles reps at HMP. Overall though I think I did ok though and something to reference against going into the future.

Plan now is to keep plugging away and not to get too fat. I'm pacing the Dublin marathon and plan on running the Waterford half this December. Most importantly I was to work on my leg speed. Ideally I wouldn't do a spring marathon next year and concentrate on an Autumn one instead but London is on the cards again and there is a family trip built around it so I'm going to go ahead and run it.

As well as a great race myself and davedanon also got to experience the Barack Obama plaza in Moneygall on our way to and from the race. An experience not to be missed :) I can heartily recommend the lunch box from Supermacs, food of champions!

• Advertisement

Actually, there's a pic that warrants another airing. Scandalous stuff altogether...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave99pics/14334540690/in/dateposted-public/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

davedanon wrote: »

I think Del's life size cardboard cut out is about to have a friend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

davedanon wrote: »

You look so fresh there Dave, can we get a finish line pic just for the contrast?

Glad to read your mention of the legend that is Cathal O'Connell. I've been seeing his name in race results for years and always marveling at his times - iirc he ran 53:xx for the Dungarvan 10 as a M45, and finished 4th in the Cork marathon in '13 - I finally got to meet him briefly before the start of DCM last year. Needless to say, that was as close as I got, he finished 18 mins ahead of me.

M: 6 miles at unknown pace
    T: 7 miles at unknown pace
    W:
    T: 8.5 miles at unknown pace
    F: OFF
    S: 9 miles @ 6.50 pace, including park run in 17.50

Last 6 weeks or so have not been great. Just getting out 4/5 times a week with nothing very long (besides pacing job in marathon) or fast. Ticking away as they say.

Had a really surprising good run in the Dublin intermediate XC. I'm heading to Berlin next September. I want to run sub 2.30. Plan is to work on 5k/10k speed for first half of next year. I have a plan, fcuk I even have a coach! I'll start logging again. Need to pick it up slightly for the remainder of this month or I'll be stuffed in the new year. The rest of this year is a write off in terms of racing. 2015 wasn't too bad in hindsight. 10 mile, half marathon and marathon PBs but at the same time I didn't run as quick as I had hoped. Hopefully more PBs and much faster times in 2016!

Don't expect to see much more of this ...F: OFF... on here if you're going to break 2.30.:)

Good luck with the sub 2.30 plan, is Meno your coach!

TbL

Good luck with the sub 2.30 plan, is Meno your coach!

TbL

I'm not training to be a bollox ;)

Sunday: 10.9 miles @ 7.20 pace. Ran this with DQ. Was happy with the company (even if he did kill a puppy and hit a toddler) for this run. Was late afternoon before getting out. Enjoyable enough around the Phoenix park.

Monday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace. Not so enjoyable. Was home early today so skipped out before dinner. Hip flexors felt incredibly tight and it was a miserable enough evening weather wise.

I've decided to start logging here again. I'm brutal at keeping a written diary. For some reason writing down my training on an online forum to a bunch of strangers helps keep me motivated! :)

I'm heading to Berlin this September to have another crack at the marathon there. 2:34:28 is my current PB and I'd like to run faster than this. My Plan for the new year was to work on my 5k speed for the first half of the year and then move onto marathon training. Training didn't go 100% to plan due to life etc but based on what I had done and some recent race performances (16.13 most recent) I was on track to hit or get close to my new years goal of going sub 16 minutes in my goal 5K which was the Bob Heffernan 5K in Enfield. However the morning of the race I woke with a very sore back, couldn't run and had to take the rest of the week off. C'est la vie. So I'm back running easy this week. Next 2 weeks will all be about building up the mileage as will most of June actually.

This week so far

M: 7.63 miles @ 7.21 pace. Handy run along the canal bank and on grass playing fields. Legs quite tight.

T: 6.7 miles @ 7.18 pace. Similar enough run to Monday.

W: 9.27 miles @ 6.58 pace. Enjoyable afternoon run. Was stuck for time and squeezed this in but once I was out I didn't want to finish so I did an extra couple of miles than the planned 7.

T: 12 miles @ 7.11 pace. Nice run in the Phoenix park, mostly on grass. Met auldmanking for a good chunk of this run. Pace was a little faster than planned. He will blame me on this but it was him who leading the way and dictating the route so I don't know how he could level such an allegation at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to meet up yesterday & great to see you back logging here - its good to have more people at the higher end of the scale to see what they are doing.

While running with you yesterday, I noted that you weren't too familiar with some of the trails, but once we went to the wooded area of the Furry Glen, your eyes lit up and you seemed to know your way around quite well??

Good pace to the run - I think we can share the blame :)

• Advertisement

Great to meet up yesterday & great to see you back logging here - its good to have more people at the higher end of the scale to see what they are doing.

While running with you yesterday, I noted that you weren't too familiar with some of the trails, but once we went to the wooded area of the Furry Glen, your eyes lit up and you seemed to know your way around quite well??

Good pace to the run - I think we can share the blame :)

That was through amusement as every man there, knew you by name!

Advertisement