Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Good to see you back logging again. Looking forward to following your progress. Can I ask if this will be a pure training log or can we expect some #TTTT along the way ?

Best of luck with your training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

What kind of mileage are you hoping to buildup to during base and are you sticking with the tried and tested method or planning on changing a few things with training this time around?

Great to see the log back anyway, best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

El Caballo wrote: »
    What kind of mileage are you hoping to buildup to during base and are you sticking with the tried and tested method or planning on changing a few things with training this time around?

Great to see the log back anyway, best of luck with the training.

Thanks. Nothing drastically different. I'd just like to be able to do more. As in higher mileage.

It's a balancing act. I get more bang for my buck from miles but need to do some faster stuff as well if I want to knock time off my PB. Body doesn't like combining both though, I pick up injuries, so probably more of an emphasis on mileage over sessions. Nothing is set in stone and while I have an idea what I'd like to do, my training will be dictated by how I'm feeling week to week. Basically make it up as I go along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Welcome back Ricky.

Are you gonna target any particular races as part of this cycle?

Do you map out your plan in advance for the entire cycle or do you do it in shorter blocks?

Best of luck with it.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ricky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good to see this log back, Im heading for Berlin myself. You usually race a half in the buildup dont you, any plans to change that? Im a bit dubious myself as the fitness benefit is massive but the recovery can be tough. Ill likely do the National half though.

Welcome back Ricky.

Are you gonna target any particular races as part of this cycle?

Do you map out your plan in advance for the entire cycle or do you do it in shorter blocks?

Best of luck with it.

TbL

Thanks you old old old old old old old fart.

Generally, 4 week blocks. 3 hard, 1 step back and that step back week usually includes a race at the end of the week. But as I said above, the content of the 3 week blocks will not be set in stone. I have an idea what I'd like to do but the body doesn't always play ball. That's why there is an element of make it up as I go along.

Race plan will be very light. Frank Duffy 10 mile will be main race! It isn't the fastest of courses but it is cheap, close by and doubles as the Dublin champs. I'll also do the national half but probably won't be able to race it full out due to proximity to frank Duffy and the length of time it takes me to recover from halfs. I actually hate the national half since it has been incorporated into the Rock and ****e but will have to run it for the club. It's not a great course anyway so I wouldn't be looking for a time on it.
    davedanon wrote: »
    Ricky?

That is in acknowledgement of my ability to pile on weight between major events a la Rick Hatton style.
    Good to see this log back, Im heading for Berlin myself. You usually race a half in the buildup dont you, any plans to change that? Im a bit dubious myself as the fitness benefit is massive but the recovery can be tough. Ill likely do the National half though.

Great stuff. There are 5 of us from my club heading over and I know of another 5/6 who are heading also, so hopefully we can have a bit of craic over the weekend.

I looked at halfs and couldn't really see any. The clonmel half was mentioned to me and I've heard good reports. However see comment above. I've decided on the frank Duffy as the one race I'll probably do a mini taper for and really have a crack at.

F: 6.2 miles @ 7.55 pace. Nice recovery. Absolutely shattered so took it nice and handy. Was late getting out.

S: 8 miles @ 7.05 pace. Bit of a bonus run. Busy day on Saturday with family stuff etc. Couldn't drag myself from my bed to get an early morning run in. A window opened up in the afternoon and even though I wasn't feeling the love I made the most of it. Was grand once I got out the door. If Berlin wasn't on my (distant) horizon this run wouldn't have happened so I was pleased with myself to get it in!

S: 10 miles @ 7.08 pace. Handy run with one of the lads from the club. Cracking day weather wise and felt nice and easy.

Close to 60 miles for the week.

This week is a bit of a balancing act due to work. Couldn't get out today at lunch time and currently sitting here waiting for my wife to come back from a school meeting so I can get out the for a run! See point above, wouldn't be contemplating a run if I didn't have a target marathon. I really aim a goal orientated lazy $hit!

M: 7.5 miles @ 7 minute pace. Had to do this one first thing before work as had stuff on all day and wouldn't finish until late evening. Lovely day for a run.

T: 8 miles @ 7.30 pace. Didn't get out until 9.30 pm for this one. Legs felt good but was mindful of the pace as I knew I was going to have to run Wednesday morning. Was hard to keep the legs at the desired pace. Beautiful evening for a run. Was still bright but the temperature had dropped nicely.

W: 12 miles @ 7.30 pace. Met up with "the most toxic man on the internet" (Bresie 2015) in the Phoenix park for this. We both arrived wearing the same t-shirt. Looked like two right tools (more than usual). Legs were a little dead from the late run last night. Was starving after an hour but was happy to get 12 miles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Met up with "the most toxic man on the internet" (Bresie 2015) in the Phoenix park for this. We both arrived wearing the same t-shirt.

:pac:

Hows he getting on these days, will he be carrying your bags in Berlin or is it Dublin for him?

• Advertisement

:pac:

Hows he getting on these days, will he be carrying your bags in Berlin or is it Dublin for him?

Good, yep he's off to Berlin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If only you'd changed citizenship, you coulda been at the Olympics.

You're probably marginally funnier, definitely faster and the standard of living over there is probably better than Tallagh :)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-comic-run-cambodia-rio-olympics-090906882--oly.html

TbL

If only you'd changed citizenship, you coulda been at the Olympics.

You're probably marginally funnier, definitely faster and the standard of living over there is probably better than Tallagh :)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-comic-run-cambodia-rio-olympics-090906882--oly.html

TbL

Definitely funnier.
    Definitely taller (he is only 4 foot 9 inches)
    Definitely heavier (he weighs less than 100 lbs)
    Unfortunately slower

quick uneventful catch up. Was away on holidays for the last week. Aim was to get out every other day and not stress if I missed a day here or there.

T: 10.2 miles @ 6.52 pace. Enjoyable run in cracking weather. Ran along the canal bank.

F: 7.5 @ 7.15 pace. This was ropey as was out the night before and my stomach was doing somersaults!

S: 8 miles @ 6.45 pace. Sneaky early morning run before heading away to Wexford for the week on holidays.

S: 6 miles in a fcuking field. The roads around the place we were staying for the week were not ideal for running, well that's what I thought at first glance. I hate running on rural roads that I don't know and even more so when the traffic is quite busy. Found a recently cut field and ran mindless loops around it.

M:Groin in a heap. The dodgy underfoot terrain of the Field ripped the balls off me (not in a good way). Also had pains and aches in my lower legs so just took the day off. Was also on the go all day the kids and not in the mood of a run after they had gone to bed.

T: Same as Monday

W: 8.5 miles @ 7 minute mile pace. Had to head back to work for the day so after a 3 hour drive jumped out of the car and got a run in around work before meetings. Happy to squeeze this in.

T: OFF

F: 8 miles @ 7 minute pace. Headed from Holiday home to hook head, really enjoyed it and wished I had decided to run there last Sunday. Great flat straight road so could see oncoming traffic.

S: 8 miles @ 7.06 pace. Back from holidays and running on familiar roads. Downpours of rain were unreal. Very enjoyable.

Have a few things on in terms of work nights away between now and Berlin but nothing major. Back in July I had discussed with my wife regards going on a family holiday early in the summer so that I did not have to try and squeeze marathon training in while abroad etc. As far as I can see I have the potential for a good uninterrupted block of training now. Hope to start building up quickly over the next 2 weeks.

S: 6 miles in a fcuking field. The roads around the place we were staying for the week were not ideal for running, well that's what I thought at first glance. I hate running on rural roads that I don't know and even more so when the traffic is quite busy. Found a recently cut field and ran mindless loops around it.

Sorry, but had to laugh at this. Between narrow, windy roads, mad drivers & the possibility of territorial dogs hopping out at you I don't know how anyone runs in the country. Great week to be holidaying in Ireland though :)

S: 14.5 miles @ 7.13 pace. Nice run this morning from my house up to the back gate of the Bohernabreena reservoir. Needed a route where I could run directly to and back. Was in the mood for a run but didn't fancy running on my own and had an inkling I'd cut the run short due to boredom so I avoided my usual loops (with associated short cuts).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Boring log title

Gavlor wrote: »
    Boring log title

I'm a boring guy!

I'm a boring guy!

Best of luck with the training, hopefully it all goes well for you. There could be a serious time on the way!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training, hopefully it all goes well for you. There could be a serious time on the way!!

Thanks, I was in Passage East last week and was going to give you a bell. However I was having such an exciting time I forgot to give you a shout. Ended up heading to Tramore on the bank holiday Monday. Carnage!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I was in Passage East last week and was going to give you a bell. However I was having such an exciting time I forgot to give you a shout. Ended up heading to Tramore on the bank holiday Monday. Carnage!!!

I saw you alright....

Contacted the local neighbourhood watch and the warning text was issued.

M: 8 miles @ 7.10 pace. Evening run, was tired but once I got out the door I was grand. Pace was faster than planned (a recurring theme for the week!)

T: 10 miles @ 6.50 pace. Nice Afternoon run along canal bank and did a good 4/5 miles around lovely cricket/rugby grounds. Surface is amazing in there and will making use of it more over the summer.

W: 8 miles @ 7 pace. Spent the morning and afternoon at my son's school sports day. Was knackered from all the running and standing around. Partook in a parents race at the end of the morning and got absolutely hammered over a 50 metre dash. I think I may have been second last. Just managed to overtake a lad 2 stone over weight and 10 years older than me in the final 5 metres. Earlier some of the children were crying when they had failed to do well in their races. I know how they felt, although I did manage to hold back the tears (until I got home). Headed out late in the afternoon and while plan was for pace to be slow I ended up running way too fast again.

T: 13.7 miles @ 7.11 pace. Headed to the club yesterday evening with the intention of doing an easy 10 but ended up going slightly longer and way faster than planned. Was chatting away and didn't notice the distance or pace until the final 2 miles. Legs were very tired at the finish.

I need to kop on and start running recovery runs at an appropriate pace. Sometimes my pace is quicker than planned and that is OK if the legs feel good and the effort levels are low. However, that is not the case with some of the runs this week. Will continue with just some basic miles this week and will throw in a little bit of quality next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's why I always avoid those parent races!

F: 6 miles @ 7.50 pace. Perfect recovery run. Legs in a heap. Headed to the local park and ran the majority of this on the grass. Was incredibly stiff and fatigued starting out but loosened up nicely as I progressed.

S: 16 miles @ 7.20 pace. Up and out early for this one. Met a lad from the club and we ran toward the back gate of the reservoir. Was running on fumes the last couple of miles. Not a good sign but happy to get the 16 miles in the bag.

S: 6+ miles @ 7.15 pace. Another recovery run. Ran from my house to my folks' house for dinner. Pace looks faster than actual effiort levels. Majority of route was downhill and I had the wind behind my back also. Was nice and easy and legs felt fine after Saturday's run.

Close to 70 miles for the week. Will build up mileage this week again. Will start to throw in a couple doubles. These will help bump up mileage and also help me stop running some of my recovery runs like a fcuking idiot as I am always much slower in the evening after an early morning run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Must get together for some long runs. Everyone else seems to be working towards an October marathon, so would be good to have some company, while they're all still being lazy bastids.

M: am 8 miles @ 7.20 pace. Morning run along the canal and around some cricket pitches. Felt pretty good. pm 5 miles @ 7.43 pace, headed out for a nice easy run in the evening with a club mate. Legs actually felt great

T: am 8 miles @ 7.34 pace. Similar run to Monday am. Was wrecked on this run though and very tired. I have bad hay fever and popped an antihistamine tablet so I'm blaming that. pm 4 miles @ 7.51 pace. Bit of a stupid run if I'm honest. Plan was to double on Wednesday but knew this wouldn't happen due to the Ireland match. Just wanted to tick it off so did it Tuesday instead. Felt fine after the first 5 minutes and actually loosened me up nicely for some good stretching afterward.

W: 10 miles @ 7.21 pace. Met DrQ in the phoenix park for this one. Took it nice and handy and enjoyed this. He was telling me a story about the mafia lighting cats on fire in Sicily. I'm still not sure if it was autobiographical. Would have easily ran an extra few miles as the legs were good but was bored so just finished when I ran past my car.

T: 12 miles @ 6.58 pace. Home from work early today so headed out for this around my area. Was really warm and quite humid but not too uncomfortable. Enjoyed this one and could have went longer again but was mindful I have my long run still to do on Saturday so left it at 12. Don't want to ramp up too quickly.

Reminder of the week will just be easy miles. There is a club 5 mile race next Tuesday so I'll look to run that hard and then maybe the following week introduce a session. Broadening my aerobic base is the plan for the next few weeks so quality will have to take a back seat until I'm comfortable and able to introduce it.

F: 7.5 @ 7.05 pace. Along the canal bank and around grass fields. Pushed for time on this one and had to rearrange this run. With that in mind I was running with an undigested lunch in my belly. Felt awful for first couple of miles but things settled down and just happy to get a few miles in for the day

S: 18 @ 7.20. Early easy morning run. Was running with a club mate for the first 12 miles and pace was a little slow. It actually felt uncomfortable. Did the last 6 on my own and the slightly faster pace felt much easier. Legs felt good after this one.

S: 10 miles @ 7.15. The benefit of running my long run a little slower than I would have if solo, meant that my legs felt great Sunday. Managed to squeeze 10 miles in between dropping kids to a birthday party and making my way to the pub to watch the Ireland vs France game. It's a blessing in disguise we got knocked out as match beers are not helping my training.

80+ miles for the week. More of the same this week hopefully

M: 12 miles @ 6.55 pace. Out late afternoon for this one. Legs felt great and hadn't a care in the world so just ran as I felt. Felt good so a little faster than planned. Felt great on this one.

T: am 10 miles @ 7.26 pace. Nice handy lunch time run. Weather was rubbish and managed to lose two nipples during the run. pm 5 miles @ 7.48 pace. Handy recovery run around local roads. Top tip, do not but friction reduction cream onto broken skin (particularly nipples) it hurts more than child birth.

W: am 7 miles @ 7.23 pace. Another handy lunch time run, managed to miss the rain thankfully. pm 7 miles @ 7.29 pace. Ran this with a club mates. The legs felt absolutely great and had to constantly bring the pace back. Spent the last half hour of the run with one eye on my heart rate and this helped me keep the effort levels were they were supposed to be.

T: 13.5 miles @ 7.11 pace. Morning run, had planned to meet up with myles but he had to cancel (getting his vajayjay vajazzled). Was tired on this one so found it a little hard. Decided on running to a point and then returning along the exact same route as I knew I'd bail if I did a looped route with short cuts. This run was fine just a little tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Decided on running to a point and then returning along the exact same route as I knew I'd bail if I did a looped route with short cuts.

I do this very thing in similar situations. I always double my mileage in my head anyway. If you run a mile, you have to get back. So that's 2 miles. and so on.

• Advertisement

Top tip, do not but friction reduction cream onto broken skin (particularly nipples) it hurts more than child birth.

On a scale of 1:10, how does is compare with the dreaded manflu??

Advertisement