Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options
1767778798082»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

kit3 wrote: »
    On a scale of 1:10, how does is compare with the dreaded manful ??

Nothing compares to manflu. Giving birth looks like the same pain as a deep tissue massage in comparison to man flu.

7 people almost die each year from that dreaded ailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nothing compares to manflu. Giving birth looks like the same pain as a deep tissue massage in comparison to man flu.

7 people almost die each year from that dreaded ailment.

I think most males 'almost die' from man flu in fairness. Oh, who does your deep tissue massages (so I can avoid them )

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

On a scale of 1:10, how does is compare with the dreaded manful ??

obviously I can't relate (but I will) to child birth but put it this way!

I know lots of ladies who have undergone child birth and decided to get pregnant again!

I don't know any man who has had man flu and put his hand up again to contract it again (ditto for a kick in the nuts).

therefore child birth is pleasurable, manflu is life threatening

obviously I can't relate (but I will) to child birth but put it this way!

I know lots of ladies who have undergone child birth and decided to get pregnant again!

I don't any man who has had man flu and put his hand up again to contract it again (ditto for a kick in the nuts).

therefore child birth is pleasurable, manful is life threatening

Haha, I suspect if you relate that to your better half that kick in the nuts might come quick enough :p (think there is an inbuilt amnesia after childbirth otherwise the human race would be long gone ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Rather than get all grammar Nazi on the typos I shall confine myself to noting that one needs to be manful in order to survive manflu.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Rather than get all grammar Nazi on the typos I shall confine myself to noting that one needs to be manful in order to survive manflu.

Oh fcuk off with your grammar. It's a message board and it was typed on a mobile device. I've tried to correct original post so you can sleep better. Better insert a smiley face 😀 but the fcuk off still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

oooooOOOOOooooo.

Someone needs hugs.

F: 10 miles @ 7.43 pace. Handy run along canal bank and around grass playing fields. Was mindful of long run the following day so I kept an eye on my heart rate and kept it in the easy zone. Felt great after this one.

S: 20 miles @ 7.03 pace. Met krusty for this in the Phoenix park. At 10 miles I wondered would I get the full 20 in as I was a little tired but the miles clicked by pretty quickly and I felt fine (although very thirsty) finishing. This route had a bit of everything, forest trails, road, up hills and downhills. The weather was even more variable!

S: 10 miles @ 7.07 pace. Too quick but legs felt good and I was a little pushed for time. This one was mostly on the road.

Good week mileage wise, close to 95 miles. More of the same next week!

M: am 10 miles @ 7.08 pace. Nice easy run along the canal bank and grass fields. Put this off early in the morning as I was hoping for company but was grand once I got out. pm 7 miles @ 7.37 pace. Slightly longer than planned as was killing time but legs felt amazing.

T: am 10 miles @ 6.57 pace. Nice steady run mostly on canal bank. pm 5 miles @ 7.54 pace. Nice handy recovery run. Was late getting out but was enjoyable.

W: 13 miles @ 7.15 pace. This was a little bit of a slog if I'm honest. Legs felt fine overall but it was very humid and body felt a little tired. Happily I could have continued on if I had to so at least I know I'm getting a little stronger

T: am 8 miles @ 7.23 pace. Really nice easy run along canal bank and through grounds of Carton house. pm 5 miles @ 7.55 pace. Nice recovery run identical to Tuesday. Have been keeping my eye on the heart rate monitor for these recovery runs and it is definitely keeping me in line.

Top nipple tip for this week. It is an excellent idea to put plasters over your nipples to save them from being destroyed. However, you should always remove these plasters in a changing room before showering. Men are not checking you out in the shower, they may be just looking at your chest thinking "what the fcuk?"

F: 10.5 miles @ 6.49 pace. Nice easy run along the canal bank on around some nice playing fields. Pretty humid

S: 10.5 miles @ 6.59 pace. Had a limited window to run this but got it done. Straight from a morning out with the family and had to skip lunch. Wasn't feeling the love as I was tired, thirsty and hungry. As usual once I got out the door all was good. Second 5 miles was into an awful headwind.

S: 20.5 miles @ 6.47 pace. Met up with krusty again as well as 3 other lads for this run. Near Carbon copy of last weeks run except I tagged an extra half mile on so I could get 100 miles for the week. Yes I am that sad. Was nice when we started out but humidity and temperature increased as we went along. The last 3 miles I was breathing through my arse and just about staying in touch with the lads. Thankfully I've had a look back at the splits and they were easily the 3 fastest miles also so that's a positive.

100 miles for the week and I also still have both nipples, so happy days. More of the same next week, have to run a track 5k next weekend for the club so that should be ugly. Going to try and get another big mileage week in regardless.

• Advertisement

M: am 8 miles @ 7.55 pace Legs like glass for this run. Specifically my calfs, really tender but legs were not too tired overall pm 7 miles @ 7.45 pace Legs feeling much better than morning run. Ran the majority f this on grass and it definitely felt easier on the legs.

T: 16.2 miles @ 7.15 pace. Legs still a bit tender so just headed out to see how they felt. They improved as the run went on and before I knew it I was at the back back of the reservoir. At 13 miles I was wishing I hadn't been as adventurous but enjoyed this run over all.

W: am 12+ miles @ 7.30 pace met an angry American for this one in the Phoenix park. Good chunk of it on grass and trails. Early on in the run, I was telling him about an ex grumpy coach of mine and sure enough I bumped into said coach on the acres road out on his bike and he threw some verbal abuse at me telling me I was **** etc. Was quite funny. pm 5 miles @ 8 pace on a treadmill. Hay fever has me in a jock. I'm particularly prone to episodes after exposure to certain tree pollen. Phoenix park in the morning killed me. Ran this 5 miles indoor in the gym. Thoroughly unenjoyable. A few observations. I was one of the few people in he gym to not have a stupid hipster beard, stupid comb over hipster hairdo, stupid hipster tattoos, stupid hipster skinny track suit bottoms, stupid hipster muscle tops. I was also constantly referred to as "man" and my all time favourite "bro". Bastards

T: am 8+ miles @ 7.15 pace. Treadmill destroyed my legs last night. Not my best idea in hindsight. I haven't ran on a treadmill in an age and was probably not a good idea doing it on tired legs. Could feel lots of little micro tears and pains in my legs on this one. Was quite unpleasant. pm 6 miles @ 7.26 pace. This felt 10 times better than this mornings run. Was faster than planned as there were some quality lady sprinters on the track and I was dropping a few shapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Man or bro I could live with, the latest male pet name that gets my goat is 'lad'. How the fook is it cool to refer to each other by a term a farmer uses to call his sheepdog!! Horse is civilised compared to 'lad'.

tang1 wrote: »
    Man or bro I could live with, the latest male pet name that gets my goat is 'lad'. How the fook is it cool to refer to each other by a term a farmer uses to call his sheepdog!! Horse is civilised compared to 'lad'.

Hand on my heart I was also called lad a few times. I just couldn't think of it as I was typing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Ah come on 'pal', it's not that bad! :D

Man, bro, lad - none of them can beat chick !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Man, bro, lad - none of them can beat chick !

Thought it was biatch for ye ladies!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jaysus seemed to be a lot of conversations going on in this gym, I'm normally in and out in 20 mins without speaking to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

where I come from if someone is calling you a lad, they're actually referring to you as a dingaling or in country terms they're calling you a langer.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Jaysus seemed to be a lot of conversations going on in this gym, I'm normally in and out in 20 mins without speaking to anybody.

40 minute run followed by the steam room and a jacuzzi. I was given an education (of sorts in the jacuzzi). I now know how to avoid getting ripped off by Thai prostitues and the police who work with them. I also now know that I should never get arrested in Russia. One of my jacuzzi "bros" spent six months in a Russian prison. Apparently it's very different to mount joy.

F: 10 miles @ 7.26 pace. Met up with Myles for this one. Plan was to do 20 but my legs were giving me hassle from the off. Both calfs were very tender and I was very conscious of them. Really felt like it was not a good idea to run on them. I had hoped they'd ease out as we went on but they didn't so I did the sensible thing and called the run early.

S: am 5 miles @ 7.41 handy morning run around my area. Legs a little better than yesterday. pm 7 miles@ 7 pace. Nice evening run, big improvement legs wise but still tender.

S: 8.5 miles total with 5K in 16.56. Headed up to Belfast to run this for the club as part of the national league. To say I was unenthusiastic about running a 5k on the track is an understatement. Legs were OK but having done zero track/speed work in the last 6 weeks this was just a case of getting a few points on the board. Whats more we got the bus at 8am and I wasn't running until 4.30pm! After sitting around all day in the shade drinking tea and coffee I went off nice and conservatively and picked it up slightly over the last few laps. Also competed in the long jump. I noticed there were only 5 competitors in division 1 so I rocked on over in my Kayanos and ran and did a pathetic jump under 3 metres to get 6th position and 3 points. I "passed" my remaining two jumps :) I'm not sure as I don't have the final results but I may have scored more points in the long jump than the 5K!

~94 miles for the week. Legs not feeling great last night so am taking today off. Don't know if it's the miles catching up with me or perhaps the treadmill from last Wednesday but my calfs are tender without there actually being anything really wrong with them. Mileage to drop slightly over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll start to introduce some marathon specific sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Have you tried messing around with the gradient on the treadmill? I think you risk overusing the same muscles if constantly at the same gradient. Throw in the odd climb/use a hill workout setting. Makes all the difference for me anyway.

Have you tried messing around with the gradient on the treadmill? I think you risk overusing the same muscles if constantly at the same gradient. Throw in the odd climb/use a hill workout setting. Makes all the difference for me anyway.

I only did 5 miles at a 1% gradient. Think it's more to do with not having ran on a treadmill in years.

Legs haven't been great last 10 days or so. Was in rubbish form and had to take a couple of days off last week and also this week. Things a good bit better now, legs have improved and no real damage done (I hope) but not going to log for a while until I feel like I'm running well again. I'm a fair-weather logger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

At least there's Strava for guessing how your moving along. 😉

Advertisement