Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo on hip

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking for ages of getting a 2nd tattoo, already have one on my lower back.
    I was gonna get something,not too big, on my hip. I'm skinny though,and my hips jut out a bit. Would i be in agony? I know pain is relative,and different for everyone!When he was colouring in the one on my spine,it did kinda kill me! But i'm hoping the spine would be sorer than the hip..

Also,if it does end up stretching cos of getting pregnant or weight,presumably it can get touched up?
    Oh and while i'm on the subject of pregnancy and tattoos(not that i'm planning on having a baby anytime soon), did anyone else ever hear of doctors refusing epidurals cos of a tattoo where the needle goes?? Someone told me they could,but don't know if i was being bullsh1ted :o

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh and while i'm on the subject of pregnancy and tattoos(not that i'm planning on having a baby anytime soon), did anyone else ever hear of doctors refusing epidurals cos of a tattoo where the needle goes?? Someone told me they could,but don't know if i was being bullsh1ted :o

The pain of getting a tattoo completely depends on the person. I have 2 and each was different. As for Doctors refusing epidurals, it's true as I know sadly. I've been told by 2 nurses and a medic who also told me some poor lad was refused open heart surgery due to his numerous tattoos on his chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Can't say anything about the pain, I have one on my lower back and hip and found the hip more painful but the hip only took 15 mins and was all outline while the back took 4 hours.

On the hip tattoo stretching when pregnant, I was HUGE with my son but the tattoo didn't stretch at all. I was carrying slightly above so my bump didn't reach it.

And I've a very big tattoo on my lower back and got an epidural. They can give the epidural pretty much from halfway down your back. I was nervous because the midwife in my antenatal classes said you couldn't get it with tattoo. I had two anesthesiologists look at it during my labour and thankfully got it above the tattoo but they said they could go through and I would just have to agree that I could have small mark from where they broke the tattoo...and in fairness I would have agreed to let them gouge the tattoo from my back if it meant an epidural!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

I've got a tattoo on my hip and also on my back... the hip didn't really hurt at all, but it was ticklish as hell (I'm extremely ticklish at the best of times but didn't think it would have been such an issue.) The back hurt like a bastard... but then it was far more detailed than the hip.

You'll have to show us pics when ya done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I've one on my hip, really didn't hurt - more like someone scratching your skin just.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hey alwaysadub. I've three tattoos and had over 20 piercings.

I'm also quite skinny so I'd say we'd be the same. The hip was only slightly sorer than my others because it was on the bone. Didn't really hurt at the beginning (I like the feeling of getting a tattoo done) but it took 3 and a 1/2 hours so after an hour of it I was nearly thinking of just asking for another sitting. Now saying that, it was obv a long tattoo, it was right across my bone and there was an awful lot of detail so all those reasons would be attached to the pain. And I guess as you said everyone is different. :)

It was also bruised for about two weeks and because it's slightly below my belt line I'd to really take care of it, as with all tattoos of course. So take care!

Hope it goes well for you! :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

I found that my hips were fairly sore alright but bearable, not the easiest and not the worst.
    As for back tattoos and epidurals, I'm not sure but I had one on my lower back and there was no problem with getting the epidural, they put it in above the tattoo. If you were to draw a line from my belly button around to the centre of my back, that's about where they did the epidural for me.
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I have a full back tattoo, from collar to below waistband and I had an epidural for spinal manipulation following an accident. The doctor that performed it admired my tattoo, he didnt have any problem performing the procedure. I'm also a retired paramedic and I must admit the first time I heard anything about epidurals and tattoos was on the boards here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

yeah it's like some old wives tale or something around these parts

Advertisement