Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain length

• 21-06-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

I fitted an ultegra chain to a DA rig at the weekend, I followed the Park instructions on chain length (Routed the chaing over the big rear and big front and not through the rear mech, where they touched I joined).

But the chain tension seems very very tight, power transfer is sweet but the top two on the back are unusable when big at the front. I know that this is expected but before I changed chain (and BB, chainrings and cassette) this wasn't an issue and 53x25 was my favourite gear.

Looking at the shimano instructions on chain length - they say when the rear mech is 90' to the ground - but do they mean the pulleys or the bar of metal between the pulleys?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_5X90B/SI-5X90B-003-00-ENG_v1_m56577569830702204.PDF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Did you follow step 5 ?
    From the closet rivet, lengthen the chain by counting over an additional two rivets (two links), which is a distance of one-inch. Cut the chain at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Gavin wrote: »
    Did you follow step 5 ?

COOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

that would be no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

tunney wrote: »
    COOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

yeah instructions work really good when you read them all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Tunney,

Sounds like you didn't allow for the 2 extra links you must add on when using the Big Sprocket to Big Chainring method.

Ooops didn't hit save for 2 mins so slightly tardy post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

that would be no.

Fecking freddish mistake to make.... Tunney, he knows about power, but not about chains :P

Murph100 wrote: »
    Tunney,

Sounds like you didn't allow for the 2 extra links you must add on when using the Big Sprocket to Big Chainring method.

Ooops didn't hit save for 2 mins so slightly tardy post.

Yes I had thought it looked a link or two short. damn it, I've done this 100 times but normally I read all the isntructions before doing any repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

This is the reason why I always run it through the RD and use small sprocket to small chainring until it just clears the RD, no adding links to forget that way !

Yes I had thought it looked a link or two short. damn it, I've done this 100 times but normally I read all the isntructions before doing any repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

For shimano, the best way is small sprocket, large chainring. When the line through centre of jockey wheels is perpendicular to ground, chain length is bang on.

The large/large gets ideal chain length on SRAM (but SRAM is not too fussy)

The small/small gets ideal chain length on campy. (do not use this for shimano, as the chain will usually be a link too long)

Correct chain length, following the manufacturers instructions, has HUGE impact of shifting smoothness and quality.

Advertisement