Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural Science....

• 21-06-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I know there is a thread about ag science, but after going completely through it I found it was completely about the project, which is pretty much not our present cares.
    Has anyone have any tips for the exam? Some predictions? I'm just so bad at ag, I could use some guidance! :)
    What is everyone studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Okay...
    Animal production:
    Pigs:
    Care of a newbrn bonham, hybrid vigour and an example, feeding principles of weaners and fatteners, management of a sow in late pregnancy, important minerals and vitamins in the diet of the young, food.
    Sheep and cattle:
    Beef - 2 year calve to beef system, grading beef at slauughter and compensatory growth.

Diseses:
    Define a notifiable disease and give examples.
    Animal and plant patogen.
    Diseases - pigs - lack of minerals and vitamins - night blindness, bad bone production etc etc....
    Vaccination of farm animals.

Soil:
    Podzol soil profile, podzolisation, humification, liming, leaching, flocculation, cation exchange experiment, earthworm activity.

Grassland:
    Coversvation - silage, hay.
    Grazing systems - differences. mixed grazing, nitrogen fixation, bacteria - nitrogen cycle, nitrification, dentrification, clover.

Crops:
    Potatoes and barley, methods of controlling pests, weeds and diseases without chemicals, viral diseases.

Classification of organisms:
    LIVERFLUKE!
    Possibly fungi...

Animal physiology:
    I don't really know, i just studied chapter 7 in rapid revision and hope for the best :p

Plant physiology:
    Cross section of a leaf - photosynthesis
    Transpiration.
    Vegetative propogation.

Fertiliser requirements of forest trees.

Genetics:
    Definitions, AI, mutations, nitrogen cycle, mitosis, meiosis, progeny testing and performance testing, incomplete dominance, meiosis with respiration, F1 hybrid seeds.

Organic farming.
    Experiments - rapid revision and 1999-2009 experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Okay...
    Animal production:
    Pigs:
    Care of a newbrn bonham, hybrid vigour and an example, feeding principles of weaners and fatteners, management of a sow in late pregnancy, important minerals and vitamins in the diet of the young, food.
    Sheep and cattle:
    Beef - 2 year calve to beef system, grading beef at slauughter and compensatory growth.

Diseses:
    Define a notifiable disease and give examples.
    Animal and plant patogen.
    Diseases - pigs - lack of minerals and vitamins - night blindness, bad bone production etc etc....
    Vaccination of farm animals.

Soil:
    Podzol soil profile, podzolisation, humification, liming, leaching, flocculation, cation exchange experiment, earthworm activity.

Grassland:
    Coversvation - silage, hay.
    Grazing systems - differences. mixed grazing, nitrogen fixation, bacteria - nitrogen cycle, nitrification, dentrification, clover.

Crops:
    Potatoes and barley, methods of controlling pests, weeds and diseases without chemicals, viral diseases.

Classification of organisms:
    LIVERFLUKE!
    Possibly fungi...

Animal physiology:
    I don't really know, i just studied chapter 7 in rapid revision and hope for the best :p

Plant physiology:
    Cross section of a leaf - photosynthesis
    Transpiration.
    Vegetative propogation.

Fertiliser requirements of forest trees.

Genetics:
    Definitions, AI, mutations, nitrogen cycle, mitosis, meiosis, progeny testing and performance testing, incomplete dominance, meiosis with respiration, F1 hybrid seeds.

Organic farming.
    Experiments - rapid revision and 1999-2009 experiments

Fantastic, thanks for that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wexford_lad

Fair play GVNDNN thats a good list of what ya need 2 know..

Also does anybody have a breakdown of when these topics appeared?? Or where it can be found.?
    Theres usually a table in most exam papers but for some reason not with the ag science papers..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Lads, I might have to repeat next year. I know, everyone wants to focus on the exam at hand but it'll be hard to get Ag Science students to talk to! Anyway, if I repeat, is Ag Science do-able in one year? I already do Bio, Chem and Geography.. thanks anyway, and good luck in the exam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

wayhey wrote: »
    Lads, I might have to repeat next year. I know, everyone wants to focus on the exam at hand but it'll be hard to get Ag Science students to talk to! Anyway, if I repeat, is Ag Science do-able in one year? I already do Bio, Chem and Geography.. thanks anyway, and good luck in the exam!!

Ya, I'd say so. Specially seeing as you have a good chunk done with bio and a bit with geo. But don't worry about it now, just do the exams and enjoy the summer! :)

• Advertisement

It is do-able, if you put in the work.however there is a project to do and it has to be graded by a teacher. it would help if you are from a farming background

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It is do-able, if you put in the work.however there is a project to do and it has to be graded by a teacher. it would help if you are from a farming background

The uncle's farm is right next door, don't know loads about it but I spose he can help with some of the theory and maybe the project, if it's a study of a farm? I recognise some of the stuff listed above, especially the animal stuff from Biology and the soils from Geography...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

im sitting the HL paper on thursday, i only started it in febuary and thats without biology, i'll let u know how it goes

and for everyone else

The uncle's farm is right next door, don't know loads about it but I spose he can help with some of the theory and maybe the project, if it's a study of a farm? I recognise some of the stuff listed above, especially the animal stuff from Biology and the soils from Geography...

in fairness the biology element of ag science is easy enough imo. you can do the project as a farm diary. talk to a teacher and see how you get on , if your serious about repeating and doing the work you should get a good result in ag..

in fairness it obvious that the fella givin predictions here doesnt know a whole lot about this subject. he basically just named the broad topics that come up every year. thats not really a prediction like theres nothing specific. i mean like dairy, beef and genetics they're not predictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

in fairness it obvious that the fella givin predictions here doesnt know a whole lot about this subject. he basically just named the broad topics that come up every year. thats not really a prediction like theres nothing specific. i mean like dairy, beef and genetics they're not predictions

No it's a bit crap 'predicting' genetics and soil when they are definite questions every year. Ag isn't like any other paper. There are definite questions on soil and genetics but any and every topic is asked otherwise and topics are not confined within a question. In a question with three parts as most of them are structured, it can be possible to have part (a) on cattle breeding (b) on silage making and (c) on animals feeds. There really is no predictability to it like the experiments in the physics and chemistry papers for instance.

I don't attempt to predict stuff for ag, the paper is too broad for that. One point I will make though is pigs rarely comes up as a specific question. Dairy, Beef and Sheep are far more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I have a great hatred for that man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Our teacher said to know the root and pig dental :).

What do people make of his Exp predicitions though.Im kinda just planning on learning all the soil ones heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Seloth wrote: »

What do people make of his Exp predicitions though.Im kinda just planning on learning all the soil ones heh.

Just go over the ones from the last 5 or 6 years, learning only soil ones is a bit silly I'm afraid, unless you don't intend on answering the expt question, which I find a bit odd when its free marks handed to you on a silver platter.

Seloth wrote: »

All he's done is go back through the papers and see which experiments come up the most often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

All he's done is go back through the papers and see which experiments come up the most often

Yes and isn't that what everyone else does in every other subject ie look for a pattern

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Yes and isn't that what everyone else does in every other subject ie look for a pattern

yes but his list is so long that it's not really what you would class as 'stuff that's likely to come up'. Aside from the experiments he listed every section of the course as a tip for the paper.

There isn't really a discernable pattern in ag science anyway. It's not as clear cut as other science subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 simbathelion

Rainbowtrout,

You commented a few messages back that pigs rarely come up, would you think with all the swine flu epidemic that went on that they might ask us a bit on pigs , would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Rainbowtrout,

You commented a few messages back that pigs rarely come up, would you think with all the swine flu epidemic that went on that they might ask us a bit on pigs , would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Well despite it being called swine flu, it affected humans and wasn't an agricultural problem unlike blue tongue a couple of years ago or foot and mouth in 2001. Pigs may well be on the paper and I'm not saying you shouldn't study it, personally I prefer pigs to sheep or cattle but if you look back over the papers for the last 10 years or so, there are very little questions specifically on pigs but plenty on cattle and sheep so if you are going to focus on any particular animal enterprise you have a far better chance of getting a question on either of those.

Thanks Rainbowtrout,

Ya your right about the swine flu, just was wondering .Also I was wondering do you have to study all the root and cereal crops (barley,sugar beet, potato..etc) or is one cereal crop and one root crop sufficient?

• Advertisement

Thanks Rainbowtrout,

Ya your right about the swine flu, just was wondering .Also I was wondering do you have to study all the root and cereal crops (barley,sugar beet, potato..etc) or is one cereal crop and one root crop sufficient?

One of each should be enough, questions are usually of the type 'for a root/cereal crop you have studied...' although in the short questions you might get asked something specific like yields, deficiency diseases etc and of course the plant families they are from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

im pumped for this exam.. i actually canot wait.. all i can say is exam papers exam papers exam papers..also just study the revision book.. the revison book is based around the exam questions.. study those genetic definitions from the revise wise.. they can be sooo tricky..

Thank you very much rainbowtrout, you have been most helpful! all i can say now is role on 2moro :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

it would be very very retarded to try and predict the ag science paper.. might i add once more really retarded.. u cant predict experiments either.. you cant predicit anything.. all you know is what comes up in each questions and thats it... just study everything tho i think there will be a nice question on pigs this yr.. look at the post by "GVNDNN" study that..that covers everything.. do not listen to anyones predictions coz that will be ur downfall..

repeat92 wrote: »
    it would be very very retarded to try and predict the ag science paper.. might i add once more really retarded.. u cant predict experiments either.. you cant predicit anything.. all you know is what comes up in each questions and thats it... just study everything tho i think there will be a nice question on pigs this yr.. look at the post by "GVNDNN" study that..that covers everything.. do not listen to anyones predictions coz that will be ur downfall..

That's pretty good advice!:D

Advertisement