Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD - Happening when installing XP

• 21-06-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Ok, so (well trying to anyways) formatting friends machine (lappy) and putting XP Legacy initially and then tried XP Pro but even before I get to the install screen I am getting my bestest mate, the BSOD...

So question, if the Lappy is 64 bit and I am installing 32 bit would this be happening?

(reason I am not sure is because there is no documentation or anything with the lappy as she cant find anything, whats new :P)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I asked cause I was letting Vista run its own diagnostic and it was taking for ever, it finally finished and I am now in the lappy and again and I am sure its 32bit but here is the DX info in case I woke up retarded this morning :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Processors have been 64-bit capable for years now, and yes they can scale back to 32-bit (x86) without a problem.

Whats the BSOD code.

7B or 0x0000007B

Speaking to a mate and he was saying it could be Vista taking control of files it really should not be and XP Setup not being able to handle that.
    Thinking of using a live disk to simply wipe and start again but wanna read into this to make 100% its not a bigger issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Inaccessible Boot Device"

It sure sounds like it.

Just backup the files of importance and Format the drive proper. should be fine.

yea thats what I was thinking tbh but there are other related issue like SCSI conflics or driver problems. Not my baby so want to make 100%, time to read and read :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

edit: scratch that i just saw you haven't hit the install part yet.

I think i've had something like this before. I think it was to do with the sata drivers not loading properly.

If its an issue look up the model and download drivers and pop them on a usb and then when starting up i think it's f6 or f7 but a message comes up telling you if you need to load additional drivers press this button

I was reading through the possible error code results and one of them was SCSI drivers missing or conflicts but I dont think she has a SCSI drive it being a lappy but I know very little about SCSI so you guys tell me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

no she wouldn't have a scsi drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

take the hd out, pop it in an enclosure and back up the lot, then format and reinstall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are they old SP1 versions of XP? XP didn't get a sata driver until SP2, with SP1 You had to make an F6 floppy (at start of install You get prompted to press f6 to install from floppy) to install the driver or Nlite it. A newer SP2 will work fine

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

• Advertisement

Na, its XP Pro SP3. Originally I was trying XP Elements for Legacy but when that failed I tried XP Pro SP3.

No need to pop the HD out and go through all that hassle, I have a live CD.

Its more than likely the MBR which is what I originally thought it was. I am just waiting to hear from a MVP friend of mine to be 100% and I will format her Lappy next time she pops over

Thanks for all the input btw. Ya gotta love PC's, endless puzzles for ya to solve :D

Advertisement