Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.O.H., Enniskerry

Options
  • 21-06-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

I recently noticed the initials AOH over a slightly decrepit shop front in Enniskerry. I had a look in the windows over the frosted glass and there were some old looking Ancient Order of Hibernians posters on the wall. There was a sign outside saying the Enniskerry Historical group meet there.

Just wondering if the AOH are still in Enniskerry, and what they get up to?
    Any interesting history about them in the area?

I know they're still active in the USA, but you dont hear much about them in Ireland anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I do remember them recently storming an auction selling republican memorabillia. Also I think they disrupted some talk on gay marriage a few years ago.

Edit heres the link http://www.breakingnews.ie/story/cwgbauojojau/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread.

The AOH was only every active in the early decades of the 20th century. They were particularly relevant in south Ulster, where Catholics were more numerous and they acted as a counterweight to the Orange Order (They were similar in pomp and pageantry) Thankfully, they barely exist anymore anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

It was the first time I'd ever seen an AOH building, and was curious from a historical perspective. But I presumed by the unkempt state of the place that it wasn't in use anymore.

I think I also saw a meeting hall for the little known Irish National Foresters in Aughrim in Wicklow.

Slightly off-topic, up to the 1920s there were also Orange lodges on Parnell Square, Dun Laoghaire, South Circular Road, and Rathmines. The one in Rathmines is still visible but now in use as a Gospel Hall
    http://www.gospel.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I believe there is also a connection to the 'Hibernian Rifles' who fought in Easter 1916.

Advertisement