Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you just go out for a drive?

• 21-06-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I like going on long drives. Though because I had only a learner license, I was just driving around my neighborhood and the only times I could get to go for a long drive was when I could get my mate, who's got a full license to come along with me. But now that I've got my full license, I'll be driving a lot more...

So I was wondering how often do you guys just go out for a drive...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Just last saturday I did exactly that. Haven't just gone for a drive in ages. The recession has reduced the traffic aswelll so just going for a nice drive is even better these days.

Did the Hellfire club in Dublin on to the Sally Gap , into Blessington village and then up to Kilteel for a pint. Headed for home after that, lovely day all in all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Used to go driving a lot, especially when I first got my license. The novelty kinda wears off after a while but on a nice weekend like the one just gone I think its lovely to hop in car and go off up the mountains and the likes.

Ive found lately that road conditions and the standard of driving have made it a lot less pleasurable, and for that reason I tend to drive less for fun these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Every other day really, I don't need the car to commute or anything like that so its purely an indulgence and a chance to get away from it all. Some of my best drives have been borne out of never having been to a particular county, driving down at midnight (trusting in the sat nav) just to see what it's like and then coming back home in the early hours of the same night. Bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My favorite route is up the R115 upto Sally Gap and down the R 117. Though I recently discovered the R116 is a very scenic road to drive on as well. Loads of twisty bits you can test your car's handling on!

I find driving at around 50-60kmph on R roads is a lot more fun than driving at 120-140kmph on a boring motorway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The more you drive the less you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

T-Maxx wrote: »
    The more you drive on urban roads the less you want to.

fyp ;)

I do every couple of weeks or so. Nothing like a spin up Sally or Wicklow gap. usually go hiking somewhere in Wicklow and go the long way home but only when by myself. The GF doesn't like me rallying around the back roads of Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

T-Maxx wrote: »
    The more you drive the less you want to.

I do an hour of boring Motorway to work, each way, every day. At the weekends I climb in to the passenger seat of the better half's car and get chauffered while my car doesn't move from Friday night to Monday morning.

Unless I've bagged something nice for the weekend in which case we'll head off somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A fair bit of the time. I drive a motorbike though, so its always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I used to go for random drives about three times a week, usually after 1am. But not so much thesedays with fuel costs so high now and the amount of anti social yobs roaming the streets at night lately looking for trouble?:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Living in Clare and the GF has an MX5.
    On the weekends it's nice to get the roof off and go for a spin.
    But as with some posters above, I'm on the road for an hour each way on the motorway and it quickly wears thin and burns a hole in your wallet.
    Also, if the weather is really nice and it's a bank holiday we wouldn't go on the road for all the tea in china, jammed packed with tourists and sunday drivers, so going to the main destinations is no fun.
    Getting a bit of a blast on the backroads every now and then, though, when you have a convertible you have to make the best of it, but poverty and old age are obstacles...(nearly 40 now):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Every few weeks i head up to the sally gap and around that kind of area. There's nothing better, although i need a better motor though...:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Now and again I would go up to molls gap depending on the weather, most times I just drive randomly in one direction lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

At least a couple of times a week, I'll go anywhere and everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i did last night ..took my V6 Cortina to get a bottle of milk and took some photos whilst I was at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Do more than enough driving....no need to be going out for a drive! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Most motorcycle riders go out on drives regularly. I'd love a cheap convertable for the 5 days a year it's warm enough to drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

How often do I do it...not enough tbh!

Think I'll head out for one tomorrow evening, it's staying bright so late now so I think that makes it even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I drove down to blessington/sally gap area today and then back into Dublin and drove around Killiney/Dalkey area. Took some pics and all.
    Never realised Killiney was so posh... Made me feel all out of place in my little banged up puma! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The nicer a car you have (as in nice handling, a bit of power), the more often you'll find yourself taking it out for a spin to nowhere.

Whenever I moved to a new area, I'd spend days scouting out the area, find new roads, etc.

I find myself on the road quite often, it's a nice way of winding down. The better the roads are, the more fun it is.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My commute is only an hour and a bit per day, but it's enough for me really. Of course, when I change cars, I'll drive 50 miles on the pretence of nipping out for milk.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'd love a cheap convertable for the 5 days a year it's warm enough to drive one.

We actually have a very suitable climate for a convertible. Personally I'd prefer to be in an enclosed air-con cooled car on the scorchers like today and Sunday, and in a convertible on the many typical muggy, humid days we tend to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

eoin wrote: »
    We actually have a very suitable climate for a convertible. Personally I'd prefer to be in an enclosed air-con cooled car on the scorchers like today and Sunday, and in a convertible on the many typical muggy, humid days we tend to get.

Modern convertibles do both (that is top down on modertaly warm days with sun and roof up, but well air-con cooled on days too hot).

I used to have one and really miss it now. I guess the days will come again and yes, Irelands climate is suitable for a convertible, no doubt. Look around, there's actually plenty of them here.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Marlow wrote: »
    Modern convertibles do both (that is top down on modertaly warm days with sun and roof up, but well air-con cooled on days too hot).

I used to have one and really miss it now. I guess the days will come again and yes, Irelands climate is suitable for a convertible, no doubt. Look around, there's actually plenty of them here.

/M
    ah, mx5 is being driven by misses moust of the time... Damn i miss it when i finish work and day is just amazingly beutifull!

I miss those days when i was droping roof just to drive 10 miles somewhere... i will need to ninja mx5 more often now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Im just back from one actually.

Lovely sunny day. Windows and sun roof open a bit. Some nice sections to drive on.

I dont go on any route. In fact in the half an hour that I was out I was lost for about 25 minutes =D Great way to drive. Get to a junction and pick left, right or straight.

Although I agree with Marlows point about a better car equalling more drives I just have a 90hp TDI but its driving along and getting into the perfect spot of the power band and pulling out of a corner which is what I like. Accompanied by the whistle of the turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I do so far too much, yeah.. So much so that I even made this:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/driving-for-the-sake-of-driving/279963403088?ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

A lot.

Not a day goes by without me driving really.

I love driving so much. OK, most of my driving is essential, get to work/get to to college/motorway driving. But on a nice evening, or nighttime, ill regularly take the car out for a spin (go the long way to the shop), or take a drive into tesco to pick up some non-essentials.

4 years driving this summer, i've clocked up around 120-130k miles in those 4 years and i still love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'm just back from a quick and pointless spin.

I love doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If you mean driving for pleasure reather than purpose then i'd say 2/3 times a week i'l just head off down the country for a good oul spin.
    Nothing more relaxing.

Im into camping these days so i'd be doing a fair bit of coastal driving which is for me the best thing about summer.

Advertisement