Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling the cavity

Options
  • 21-06-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked before as I have looked it up here and got lots of old threads. But I would like to ask again as these things change over time.

I am thinking of getting my house insulation up graded, it was built in 1997 and had std 40 or 50 mm poly type insulation board.

Can somebody reccomend an installer and a good type of either beads or anything else that can be used to do this job I presume the pumped stlye is all that can be used.

Also the back of my house gets all the weather and I am a little concerned about the holes used to fill, will / can they leak. And also will this type of insulation cause damp, there seems to be lots of different views on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keep the faith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Is it definitely a cavity wall as opposed to Cavity block wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

The cavity wall quarantee scheme (CIGA) in the UK define a cavity as 50mm minimum. The nossles used for pumping need a minimum space to flow through - the standard cavity in Ireland for ever has been 40mm - get assurances from the contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dr. L Sanchez

If it is a cavity wall which is partially filled with existing insulation you may have problems topping it up by pumping the cavity with additional insulation. The energy saving trust says that these types of wall “cannot be topped up” by pumping the cavity and they recommend going with internal insulation.

Check out this document page 17, it’s quite useful: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Global-Data/Publications/Sustainable-refurbishment

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Yes, it is 2 sets of 4" blocks with a cavity in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

You could establish the insulation width and residual cavity by digging around a waste pipe outlet coming through the wall.
    If you have 50 mm clear cavity, Polystyrene beads are better than fibre at resisting moisture. Grey graphite beads are better than standard white at insulating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement