Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here cycled the course of the Dodder?

• 21-06-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi. Im looking in to making the most of this fine weather and do a bit more cycling. Im based in Templeogue and have cycled to where the Dodder meets the Liffey plenty of times and its a lovely, nice cycle. I have been looking at now perhaps cycling the opposite direction and cycling to its source. From looking at maps and local knowledge I could follow along until as far as Bohernabreena anyway but I dont really know where it goes after that. As far as I know its source is near the Liffey source. Has anyone done this cycle before? I'd say its quite hilly but if anyone could recommend a route I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's worth a shot

Pedal-PaddleBike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

What sort of bike have you? You can probably cycle as far as Glenasmole, but shortly after that the terrain would be quite rough.

I've walked it plenty, but everything depends on how hardy your bike is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well I didnt fully intend on keeping right alongside the river but keeping mostly onroad and using nearby roads and paths. Shouldve been a bit clearer. Was really looking for an onroad route.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ballyboden/167127714113485701 are the roads that roughly follow it from the M50 outwards. Chances are in a lot of places there'll be paths closer to the river that will take your bike.

Thanks

• Advertisement

No problem - let me know how it goes, I've been meaning to get to Glenasmole for a while now.

Just a follow up on this one. I went out this fine evening and tried to find it. I failed miserably. There was a very strong headwind against me and I'm more of flatroad commuter and had no experience with rural roads. Got as far as Bohernabreena fine but after that the elevation really started to increase and my os map was fairly lacking in detail. I think this is as far as I got. Even though I didnt reach it it was a very pleasant cycle, some great views of the city and a very nice downhill on the way home.

Got a bit of a fright though on the way. Had a quick rest at a T Junction at Friarstown and was having a look around, I suddenly hear this snorting behind me and theres a donkey trying to lick my helmet :) Definitely a nice place to ramble around

Advertisement