Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox live took unauthorized payment from a 3rd party account !

• 21-06-2010 4:30pm

I am extremely upset with them now. I feel like i have been screwed about but this is the last straw. I basically let my xbox live run out which i have always done.

Last week my mother got onto me to say that direct debits have been coming out of her credit card for xbox live ??? I dont even have her sort code or account number.

I was wondering how this happened. Until i remember 2 years ago i bought a yearly xbox live account . When i went to activate it , they had me cut off as there was 6.99 outstanding on my account from a previous year. So i had to use my mothers credit card to pay the 6 99 so i could have activate my years account.

Thats ok as i paid over the phone and it was a once off. The credit card is now out of date. But this has not stopped Microsoft from somehow accessing her account through the "out of date" credit card and started taking money directly from her account.

Now i did receive emails saying that my subscription is running out and if i dont want to suffer any loss in service please contact them with new payment details or an xbox live pre payed card.
    I decided to let it run out because i was not using it.

I called them today very angry as i wanted an explanation to how they were able to access a bank account through an out of date credit card.

Of course as i always do , i get talking to somebody who cannot help but feel justified that xbox life have every right to take money for an account that is not being used as somehow the "automatic renewal" Which was switched off somehow managed to get re-instated .

I have never hand anything but problems with my Xbox's and i cant help but feel robbed by their service and spoken down to by their customer service.
    :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

That's awful, straight away contact your bank and find out why they allowed this to happen?

Seems like there was an error made somewhere along the line either by xbox live or your bank or possibly both but you have every right to be livid. Keep a record of your conversations (duration and content) with them and any other efforts made by you to rectify this and seek some sort of compensation (I'm only guessing but you should be due something).

If you aren't getting satisfaction from dealing with customer care inform them that you are recording the conversation as I'd imagine they would want to cover themselves and to resolve it quicker.

Also when you canceled the auto-renew did you do it by phone or online? If you could get a phone record of the call being made then it would stand to reason that you hardly rang up for a chat.

Best of luck getting it resolvesd and hope it goes smoother.

Spoke to the bank and they are too well aware of this situation. It happens alot and they get alot of complaints. The couldnt give me an explanation as to how it happens , only that "they have their ways of getting the information"

In the history of me having xbox live, i dont think i have had any satisfaction from customer care.

My bank asked me to get an email address from them .

Xbox live answer "i am sorry sir but we do not have an email address"

Everybody has an email address " i am sorry sir we do not have an email address, is there anything else i can help you with"

Can i speak to a manager ?

Xbox live answer : "I am sorry sir but there is no manager available"

Well i am going to make this a legal matter so i need contact details for my solicitor.

Xbox live answer : I am sorry sir but i cannot give you any information, you will have to go to xbox.com contact tab and fill out one of the customer care forms.

You know i have had 3 xbox 360's with you, all of them have broken at some stage. I got xbox live from you and all i have had is trouble with you . I have one playstation 3 and have never had a problem and its free to go on the playstation network.

Xbox Live answer : Sir i dont know how you can even compare the 2 of them. they are very different .

My answer : Yes you are right Playstation has never robbed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Yeh mate welcome to the club. Xbox live screwed me over and now I dont trust any of there service with my credit card or back details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I know its not the same but,a few months back,i bought uno rush on sale and was charged the full amount,I rang customer support,asked to speak to supervisor,they said they couldnt do anything.However they gave me an address to contact irelands microsoft hq.I cant find the address,but if i were you,i would contact ms asking for irelands head support office etc,Send them a letter outlining your problems, At least for me it worked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Guys never buy Xbox live 3 Months, 12 months Whatever By credit card Its dangerous and microsoft like stealing peoples money Just go to your store and pay by cash I know its alot of effort But at the end of the Day you will stop microsoft acsessing your bank account Robbing your Sprecious money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Johnny Zimbabwe

I always pay using a 3v card, they can charge what they like off that they won't get anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Try contacting their Twitter support thing. They're very quick with replying back, they might say you will have to ring up though, you could try pushing them for an address. Might have a problem condensing your problem into 140 characters.

www.twitter.com/XboxSupport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Bill gates is one crafty fella

i never went near xbox live payments with a CC always just got the codes the old fashion shop way, sucks none the less, sounds frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The OP said he turned the autorenewal option off.

Also, if you take out this bank loan and the payment method becomes invalid (i.e. the expired credit card) your loan doesn't keep coming out. The loan company doesn't start searching for your new account to continue taking it's money out. It contacts you to let you know there's a problem.

This is what the OP seems to be mad about, try reading the thread next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Mabye you should re-read the OP original post. He had recieved emails about his subscription is about to end and he ignored them. Just because you dont use the service it doesnt mean you wont get billed for it.

Of course you're right, you get billed for subscriptions whether you use them or not. If I paid my Sky subscription by credit card and never gave them updated details (e.g. new CCV2 and new expiry date) I fully expect Sky to suspend my subscription and send me letters telling me why. I don't expect Sky to miraculously get this information without me telling them.
    Auto-renew was on, he had used a credit card which Microsoft had taken money before so they used it again.
    Of course as i always do , i get talking to somebody who cannot help but feel justified that xbox life have every right to take money for an account that is not being used as somehow the "automatic renewal" which was switched off somehow managed to get re-instated.
    If your credit card company is allowing payments from an out of date card thats the banks problem not Microsoft.

It sounds to me like there was valid payment information sent by Microsoft with the payment request - as in a valid expiry date/CCV2. Otherwise the bank has a serious problem. But the bank didn't tell the OP "oops, our problem", they said Microsoft "have their ways" which implies that Microsoft somehow were divulged this new information which is a serious issue if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

OP said he cancelled auto renewal but it got re-instated. That doesnt magically happen so therefore I would assume that the OP didnt actually disable it.

Simple facts are:

1) User didnt cancel service.

I know this is being pedantic, but we are relying on what has been said in the thread and to say the OP didn't cancel his renewal when he says he did is ridiculous. You, me and everyone else in this thread have less information to go on so to make that assumption contrary to what the OP said isn't right. There could have been other reasons why this occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ah sure if it's BOI you're with, nothing would surprise me. I ordered a replacement laser card from them, got two in the post, a week apart, both with different numebrs and they both work.

Also, my expired card can still pay for stuff.

Anyway, on another cc I had that I wasnt checking (statements went to my old address) i was getting charged 6.99 for about 2 years from xbox before I cancelled.

Wasn't even using it. It's my fault though and I don't blame them, its in the T&C's!

Mabye you should re-read the OP original post. He had recieved emails about his subscription is about to end and he ignored them. Just because you dont use the service it doesnt mean you wont get billed for it.

Auto-renew was on, he had used a credit card which Microsoft had taken money before so they used it again. I had used a credit card at first then I took it off and turned autorenwal off.

I have worked for several companies that used direct debit or auto renewals and despite sending customers many many notices they still ring up complaining that we are "robbing them illegally" or we are "trying to be sneaky". If your credit card company is allowing payments from an out of date card thats the banks problem not Microsoft.

No how about your read the important billing mails that we are sending you!

Ever hear of a credit control department ? ?

OK again pointing out that the credit card that was used was given over the phone as a once off payment to activate the yearly game card i had just bought as there was 6.99 outstanding on my account.

Second of all auto-renewal was turned off by myself.

Third , i got emails to say that my subscription was running out and to update them with new details or suffer loss of service . They were not ignored i knew they were running out. Which was fine with me.

Fourth , i told Microsoft that i would pay any outstanding amounts but i want an answer on how they took money from that account.

Oh another update on this , i have spoken to my solicitor to get some advice.
    I also called back Microsoft to let them know that i maybe going legal as i have had no satisfaction.

Today i got this email .....

We have recently attempted to charge your Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership service to the credit card on file for your account. Please accept this reminder that your credit card has passed its expiration date and needs to be updated. The following credit card is the current payment method on your billing account:

Credit card type: MC

Avoid an interruption of your subscription services by updating your credit card information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Simple facts are:

1) User didnt cancel service.

No, the simple facts are:

1) OP stated the service was cancelled
    2) you didn't read the message fully and went into a rant about how people don't read the T&C's
    3) After it was pointed out to you that the OP did in fact cancel the service, you dismiss this to back up your original point

On topic: I agree that it's best to just buy the cards in the shops, it's too much hassle. Even cancelling the service is annoying, you have to ring them up and spend 15 minutes explaining to them why you want to cancel it and listening to them trying to persuade you not to. A right pain it was.

The point that i am making is they have managed to access an account through an old credit card and started a Direct Debit without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Im sorry but I dont have any pity for people that sign up for a subscription service dont bother reading the terms & conditions and then complain when the service automatically autorenews. Microsoft are not trying anything sneaking its in the T&C`s! You wouldnt take out a bank loan and not read the small print and then give out when they are charging you for taking out the loan.

READ THE SMALL PRINT

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

the guys mothers bank account is being accessed tru an out of date credit card.

Is that the best you can come up with? Its his banks problem at the end of the day.

Yeah you are right its the banks problem but also Microsoft who have taken the payments illegally.

Never mind the small print, read the post :rolleyes:

Just an update on this . Microsoft refunded all the money they took out of my mothers account. They didnt tell me they did it but we checked the account today and it is done.

Fair play to them. I am going to pay them whats outstanding with my 3V card now .

Advertisement