Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike wheels

• 21-06-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a Set of Wheels for my Trek and wondering what is the difference between the 50/50mm & 50/90mm which would be better for Rolling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's these isn't it?

Difference is 50mm will be unbelievably heavy and 90mm will be ridiculously unbelievably heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

50/50 or 50/90 mean the depth of the wheel does'nt it? no their not them ones i was looking at them but something like them

There's a lot more to a wheels than its depth. Why don't you tell us what wheels you're talking about and what you intend to use them for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No difference. The one with the 90mm back wheel will be a tiny bit more aero but not noticeably so. Both have a 50mm front so handling will be the same. I think 90mm back is a weight penalty I would not feel necessary to pay unless the bike was being used for Tri/TT only. If you are using it for touring or standard road riding a pair of 50mm would be better all round.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wouldn't get tubulars for anything other than racing really, they will be a pain in the ass if you get a puncture going up Mahon Falls.

Get a nice light weight pair of wheels: Ksyrium SLs, Easton EA90SL, Fulcrum 1/3 or even a clincher deep section wheel like a cosmic carbone.

Those fast forwards are really only a time trialling wheel, if you got a sidewind coming off a fast descent on the SK 160, lots of luck! Plus they are quite heavy.

Tubs? I wouldn't use tubs for "normal use and Cycle tours, E.g. Sean Kelly Tour of 160k etc". I don't know anyone who regularly uses tubs for anything other than racing actually... are you sure? Do you have team car?

Team Car?

Cork24 wrote: »
    Team Car?

Yes, if you ride tubs on Irish roads it is best to have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Cork24, you are confusing the hell out of me.

I think you are buying on aesthetics from your last post however. If you want deep section practical wheels for everyday riding then your options should not include any of the tubular models (i.e. ones where you glue the tyre to the rim, i.e. ones where it costs about 50 euro to fix a puncture and are not easy to do at the side of a road)... instead look at:

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Clincher
    Zipp 404 Clincher Special Edition
    Reynolds Assault Clincher
    SRAM S60

Ok, thanks i'll have a look at them but i'll stay away from the Zipp their two dear. for my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For non-racing use on hilly sportives and the like you will be far better served by a pair of light non-deep section clinchers, IMO. As has already been said.

If you must get deep section I have the Mavics and they are a good option albeit a bit heavy. I also have Zipp tubs but they are used for hilly open races only, and I am terrified of puncturing!

Advertisement