Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Microchip in Ireland

Options
  • 21-06-2010 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I am moving back to Ireland next month and am bringing my 2 mad doggies with me. Both of them are chipped and registered with Petlog over here in the UK but my question is when I bring them home how do I go about getting their chip registered in Ireland?
    Is there many companies that do it? How much does it cost?
    I have tried to speak to petlog here but am not sure the girl I spoke to even knew where Ireland was :D
    Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Just registered mine with FIDO this morning. www.fido.ie.
    I bet if you get in touch with them you can register the chip here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Did you just need to give them the chip number? I'm sure I have that around here somewhere *frantically starts rutting through boxes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I posted an application but it said on the leaflet I got that you can do it online or just send them an email. I don't know if there is some sort of registration fee??
    If you can't find the number most vets will scan your dog for free! Good luck!:D

Thank you, i've found one butnot the other, far too sensible of me to have packed them together eh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If you get a vet to scan them, the 15 digit number just comes up on the scanner.
    You best bet is to just email fido.ie and ask for a registration form to be sent to you, I think it costs €15 or thereabouts. To do it online you need a registration code or a transfer id, I spent days trying to make sense of their website as its very confusing, ended up just sending them an email and they emailed me back a form that you fill out both your's and your dog's details and just the 15 digit code. Theres also a few other companies but I think fido is the most common one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You can check with the company your chip is currently registered with- many of the databases are europe-wide, although if you want to be certain, Fido is probably your best bet. Most vets have forms that you can send off to them- Fido will then check the details of your chip and if you want to register in their database (if they don't find it in other databases) they contact you and you pay them (less than €15 or so I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My sis did the same thing. I registered her dogs with fido.ie by email. Bring the dogs into the vet to be scanned so you have the chip numbers. I emailed them with all the details and it cost me €5 for each of her dogs. Easy peasy!

Thank you all so much for your replies, from the sounds of it i'm better waiting till I get home and geting them scanned, just so I'm 100% sure of the number and then contacting Fido.ie.

Again thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My dog is missing this 10 days. He is microchipped. I was just wondering if he was stolen and taken to the UK would his microchip (registered with FIDO) show up in a vets there??

They will be able to scan him and see his details in the UK . This does happen alot. I do know of a show dog that went missing in the UK for 2 years and it was found in limerick then re-united with the owners. Thanks to it being brought into a Vet.

• Advertisement

dlambirl wrote: »
    My dog is missing this 10 days. He is microchipped. I was just wondering if he was stolen and taken to the UK would his microchip (registered with FIDO) show up in a vets there??

I've just rung my vet and asked the question and they say that yes, if he is scanned in the UK it would come up that he was registered with Fido so they would contact them to confirm the details. So that's some good news for you:D

I have my fingers crossed that you get him back I know how devestated I would be if I didn't have either of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Thanks. Thats reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

If a pet is registered with fido.ie its registered with europetnet (link below) http://www.europetnet.com/Home.aspx
    this means that if they are scanned in any of the european countries listed you can be found and notified. I hope this helps to reassure you somewhat, and I hope you get your beloved back safely.

Advertisement