Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going from car to bicycle?

• 21-06-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Im giving up with my car and would like to get a bicycle. Going back to college and can do without the expense of the car, so thinking about getting a bicycle.
    Now here's the thing, i have never cycled in the city before and with alot more cars around you, i am a bit nervous. Especially since you're not allowed on the paths? As a driver, i know safety is very important and the rules of the road are probably much the same but is there anything i should know about? Any tips? Or should i just stick to the paths?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Im giving up with my car and would like to get a bicycle. Going back to college and can do without the expense of the car, so thinking about getting a bicycle.
    Now here's the thing, i have never cycled in the city before and with alot more cars around you, i am a bit nervous. Especially since you're not allowed on the paths? As a driver, i know safety is very important and the rules of the road are probably much the same but is there anything i should know about? Any tips? Or should i just stick to the paths?

There are plenty but a couple of pointers would be, do not go on the inside of any lorry or bus near corners and turns. Dublin traffic will probably scare the bejaysus out of you but you'll get used to it, believe me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No, stay on the road or cycle lane/paths. Take your time, get used to cycling in traffic. The most important thing is to be assertive and predictable. If you need to make a turn up ahead, indicate well in advance, look for a gap and move out. Don't do what I see a lot of: wobbling up to the junction then veering wildly across the road at the last minute.

If you can find a friend who cycles and go for a few short journeys, maybe around a local park, get used to the bike and using your hands to indicate. Always be vigilant and never assume anything. I've been cycling for a few years in Dublin now and though I've had a few close calls (no more than I have had driving) and unfortunately a few rude drivers, cycling is far safer than people are led to believe.

Other than that, enjoy it!

For college, get some decent rain gear (over wear) for when winter rolls around. We don't get that much rain really, but when it does, it's nice to be dry when you get there.

Buy a good set of lights and a very good lock. Lock your bike somewhere secure and preferably in a main concourse. Don't go locking it to a stop sign in some remote end of the campus. It probably won't be there when you return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It might be worth doing a cycle skills course with rothar.ie, it is something I might consider myself.

http://rothar.ie/Cycle_riding_classes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It might be worth doing a cycle skills course with rothar.ie, it is something I might consider myself.

http://rothar.ie/Cycle_riding_classes.html

Good idea, that sounds like something worth doing. You don't want to end up like Frasier and Niles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Learn and always use the "life saver".

Motorcyclists are taught to look briefly over one or other shoulder before almost any movement within the road/lane. They call it the "life saver".

It is.

Most experienced cyclists do it automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

+1 for the lifesaver, always do this when moving out. Be assertive, be obvious. If its dangerous for them to overtake you, block the lane so they can't - at least that way they have to want to hit you, to hit you - you're much less likely to get the famous 'smidsy' (Sorry mate, I didn't see you) in the middle of a lane. Ignore them if they beep. Never ever ever ever overtake on the left hand side of anything that may possibly at all be turning left. This includes buses, cars going slowly on roads with driveways, etc etc. They turn and you get squished. ESPECIALLY busses and large lorries. They have huge blind spots. Loiter at least 2 car lengths (well, perhaps one) behind anything you're following, not off its bumper, because then you'll be able to see potholes and obstacles in the road and avoid them, if you're 6 inches off the cars bumper you'll have no time to react to that missing manhole cover and your journey is over. Carry and know how to use a puncture repair kit, its super simple, with a bit of practice its possible to change/repair a tube in under 10 minutes without trying to go fast or rushing etc. Overall cycling is fun, it gets you fit, its free (once you've bought a bike) and its a lovely way to get around in the world. Just buy a big ass lock, something by Abus or Kryptonite if possible. They're the best and worth every penny. Those cheapo locks arent worth jack, I've hacksawed through one (for legitimate purposes) with a dull blade in under 45 seconds. Most of all.. Enjoy! And take some fun trips around phoenix park or something to get yourself used to the moving, braking, leaning, pedaling, gear changing, etc, before you go onto the busy roads. And stay off the quays for a month or so.

:)

Advertisement