Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APPLIED FRESHWATER AND MARINE BIOLOGY

• 21-06-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm going into leaving cert next year and am exploring my options. This looks interesting and i was wondering if anyone has experience with it or if they think Marine Science in NUIG is a better option. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tiny flower

Hi! I just finished the course you mentioned in the IT.
    I found it a good course. It covers a wide range of topics from basic biology to computers and statistics to legislation which helps to keep you interested. It has a good balance between theory and practical (lab) work. As regards choosing between the IT and the university, one of the main things which swayed my decision was the fact that your practical work done during the year in the IT is worth 60% approx of your marks leaving the final exam worth 40%. It basically means that if your exam doesnt go too well and you just about scrape through it, you can still come out with a reasonalbe grade if you did well in your practical work during the year! It takes a lot of the pressure off you on the exam day. The university is more academically based in that their exams are worth 60% of their mark (as far as i know.)
    If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to answer as best i can:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sean-Tom

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering what sort of practical work you get to do during the course and if the lecturers are anyway decent?

I never had a problem with any of the lecturers! I never really heard of anyone having serious issues with any of them! They're all sound and they'll do anything they can to help you out if you have any problems wether to do with college work or otherwise! GMIT is quite a small building compared to the university all the course lecturers offices are on the same corridor beside the labs and they're never too far away if you have any questions.
    There is practical work in each subject except maths, so in 1st year you will do biology physics chemistry practicals. Physics would include learning about sound light or energy, so you could be doing practicals using circuits. Chemistry you get to use a wide range of equipment. we did a range of experiments to fing the different alcohol content in various drinks. Theres also ones using common drugs such as aspirin, caffiene or paracetemol. Biology then could range from dissecting a rat to looking down a microscope counting algae cells!!
    Theres quite a variety!;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sean-Tom

Last thing i think. What and how many subjects do you do in 1st year cuz i can't seem to find them on the gmit website. Thanks a mil you've been really helpful:D:D:D

In First year the core subjects are biology, physics, chemistry and maths. There's discovering science which can be interesting. Then there's computers which just teaches you the basics of microsoft excel, word and powerpoint to get you going. If you did ECDL you will be exempt from this. There's also a choice between communications and a language in the 2nd semester. Cmmunications/language/discovering science aren't difficult, it seems like there just in it to fill time!! Focus on your core subjects. In first year you'll only actually have about 24hours of class time in the week.
    One piece of advice i'll give you, if you do choose a science course (i suppose it applies to any course) Attend all your classes, practicals especially. Pick up as much marks as you possibly can during the year (i.e do all your assignments and have them handed in on time) coz it really takes the heat off on exam day if you know in the back of your mind that you have good marks through the year. As well as that if you're on the border, pass/fail at the end of the year the lecturers will look back at attendance and Continual assessment marks through the year (at least in GMIT anyways). Thats when it makes the difference.
    If you have any more questions any time dont hesitate to ask!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Becci111

Hey i am considering doing the applied freshwater and marine biology in gmit but i have never done chemistry or physics and was wondering if they are difficult? Also are they only in the first year of the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rossgodiving

@becci

After just finishing first year of this course and going into it without physics or chemistry i can say they are not too difficult, Leaving cert level i'd say, but if you dont attend your lectures or tutorials you can easily fall behind and become lost for weeks until a new chapter is started.

Thats what kinda happened to me so when the exams came i knew about 50% of the required stuff :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 baradcc

I've just been offered both Level 8 and Level 7 in Freshwater & Marine Biology in GMIT but I'm not sure which one to go for. Can someone advise the main differences, are both levels together for 1st year.

Advertisement