Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOUNTING AFTERMATH

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

The media furore you are referring to was after the accountancy exam.

JellyBeans is referring to the article in the IT before the exam, which made no mention of S. Dublin, as the IT nor anyone else knew anything of that problem at the time ... it appears, in retrospect, to have been referring to the errors in the OL paper. Completely unconnected.

"Furore".. Wish I'd thought of using that in my English, sounds way more posh than craziness?! =P

Overall I think we can all agree that IT and the SEC made an absolute screw-up on the situation.

XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That is twisting my words.
    To an extent, yes, to make a point.

You are coming across as somewhat lacking in empathy though, you know.
    As long as we're all marked equally (you know what I mean) I'm happy.
    In my honest opinion, if all papers are marked equally, then some will in fact be marked unequally, if you follow me.

How they are going to solve this one I don't honestly know, it's a mess. But to mark those Dublin schools as if nothing has happened would be pretty unfair in my view ... even more so because there seems to have been absolutely no consistency in how it was dealt with in each centre.

How they are going to solve this one I don't honestly know, it's a mess. But to mark those Dublin schools as if nothing has happened would be pretty unfair in my view ... even more so because there seems to have been absolutely no consistency in how it was dealt with in each centre.

The whole situation is a total mess to be honest?!

I know EVERYONE is prob going to HATE me for saying this, but I honestly think the fairest thing is a resit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think the SEC did the best they could under the circumstances. The max any school had to wait was around 45 minutes for the new papers to come - which is reasonable enough.

I feel sorry for the affected students, but being perfectly honest I think the extra time they got, or at least the allowance in time they received, compensates for the mistake and thus makes it 'fair'. A cool-headed person would have had no disadvantage because of the error. I do appreciate that the Leaving Cert, and especially accounting, is a stressful enough time and it doesn't take much to tip the scales of panic, but as far as I am aware, all the students were advised to 'work on what they have'.

It isn't uncommon to experience panic as you open an exam paper and be temporarily panicked. Even looking around the hall I could see the looks of sheer panic as Club, Flexible, Marginal and Company didn't come up. Accounting isn't crammable and people took risks - a couple of my friends couldn't even do Question 3, as despite the fact that we covered every aspect of the course in class, they chose only to revise Marginal and Flexible. I myself chose only to study Q8, with the exception of Flexible Budgeting for Q9, and felt a bit annoyed when I saw a stock standard Q9 beside a longer-than-usual Q8, but that's life.

All in all, I think the addition of extra time made the accounting exam 'fair' for everyone, even those affected. An adjustment of the marking scheme just for those people is a bit unfair to the rest of us. Given the choice, I would have liked to have gotten a 'flawed' paper in that case :)

Edit: Randylonghorn makes a good point - the lack of consistency is the main flaw. The SEC should have forwarded a letter to each school stating clearly the action in which they should follow. If I was in a centre that wasn't given adequate time because of the superintendent's incompetence, I would have been outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dacentdee

awh maaan..fecked that up big time..
    spent like an hour on the service whic meant i had no time to do any of section c :( had a good cry for myself and a few cans of bulmers:p was hopin for an a but sure , no point cryin over spilt milk now hawh .

• Advertisement

Edit: Randylonghorn makes a good point - the lack of consistency is the main flaw. The SEC should have forwarded a letter to each school stating clearly the action in which they should follow. If I was in a centre that wasn't given adequate time because of the superintendent's incompetence, I would have been outraged.
    Bah! :P

And I had my reply half-written and all! :D

Dacentdee wrote: »
    awh maaan..fecked that up big time..
    spent like an hour on the service whic meant i had no time to do any of section c :( had a good cry for myself and a few cans of bulmers:p was hopin for an a but sure , no point cryin over spilt milk now hawh .

Or spilt Bulmers.. XD

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Bah! :P

And I had my reply half-written and all! :D

I often only notice other people's posts after I write mine. Sometimes I go to the newest post of the thread and work my way backwards. It's not very logical and tends to confuse me! Hence I often add PS's onto the end of my posts that seem to contradict everything I have just said because I read a conflicting post that caused me to change my viewpoint.

PS I never read threads backwards and I never changed my mind ;)

Or spilt Bulmers.. XD

well to be honest , spilt bulmers would be something to cry about:D

PS I never read threads backwards and I never changed my mind ;)
    Indeed!

PS Mind my changed never I and backwards threads read never I.

Indeed, especially if you were mixing it with milk!

• Advertisement

Haha..

JK, don't like Bulmers!

=P

Indeed!

PS Mind my changed never I and backwards threads read never I.

.I reven daer sdaerht sdrawkcab dna I reven degnahc ym dniM SP

I think mine's way more impressive. =P

Also:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943089

Thread to post the course you want to be on in September, I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone here's planning the same as you.
    :)

I think mine's way more impressive. =P
    I thought you were a girl?

That's usually a guy's line!! :pac:

Ok, ok, enough eejiting ...

/slaps self

... though at least it seems to have drawn some of the high emotion from the thread!!

I thought you were a girl?

That's usually a guy's line!! :pac:

Ok, ok, enough eejiting ...

/slaps self

... though at least it seems to have drawn some of the high emotion from the thread!!

They way some people think!? =P

And yeah, what's the point arguing with each other about it, like it's none of our faults what happened.. I think we all need to ally against the common enemy:
    *cue the dramatic music*

the SEC
    *dun dun DUN*
    =P

eeem actualy, anybody know what the irish bonus is for accounting ? can't find it online grr . clutching at straws ere , hopin it might put me over the line for a b...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

eeem actualy, anybody know what the irish bonus is for accounting ? can't find it online grr . clutching at straws ere , hopin it might put me over the line for a b...

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

so I think you need 267 out of 400 instead of 280

pathway33 wrote: »
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

so I think you need 267 out of 400 instead of 280

thanks a mill! every little helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 e19

Acc Rex wrote: »
    What is the answer for the supense theory? Error of omission/principle/commission etc aren't the answers.
    Also how do you treat the dishonoured cheque in service firm? I entered it as a bad debt in P & L, and added it to bank overdraft
    mathematical errors
    double entry errors
    misplaced entries

Advertisement